• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I repeat, MS guarantees output to the decompressor, from there performance will go down a cliff.

My point isn't that Microsoft's is definitely fine and dandy, it was in response to a question about why Sony's figures are being questioned when Microsoft's aren't. The answer is down to how they were presented, one offered a guarantee, the other did not, that's all it is.

NEW DISCUSSION GUIDELINES

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about the specified Specs Cerny has discussed for the PS5 and what that means for playstation going forward. This thread is not about the XSX or conspiracy theories about hardware developers fabricating their hardware specifications

Last edited by a moderator:

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Now curious about what the OS footprint is. Good thing MS has publicly locked it down and it's slimmer than current gen's. Let's hope Sony can follow the suit.

Wtf am I reading....

And the false equivalence to boot.

Fucking thread.

That's quite a reaction for what I felt was a fairly innocuous post, but if the bold parts need explaining:

I'm not suggesting that Sony aren't hitting those speeds continuously, I'm simply sugh eating that they didn't mention it for whatever reason.

The fact of not mentioning it means people question why it wasn't mentioned and some might assume that the reason for that is because something is being hidden, in exactly the same way that people were questioning GCN vs RDNA after the 12TF figure.

Hopefully that clears things up.

Edit: just saw the staff post, I've edited out my final question to stop this going any further.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
All of the PS5's specs are only true on the OS screen, once you boot a game everything throttles down to PS4 levels. Cerny played us like a damn fiddle.

2x2jm9.jpg

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
first of all that at least 5GB/s figure is before the official spec was announced, it was on a slide telling their dreams, then later on it was replaced with the following
Y6bvMQM.png

so get your facts right from the source, and try to avoid scandalous figures when the most recent and official figure is also present later on in the presentation (stop looking at slide #1 if slide #99 has the final say in the matter)

secondly MS chose 'sustained' marketing talk for their own PR and insinuating game so I'm not faulting you following your favorite plastic box manufacturer's most recent poisonous policies also their SSD figure also does not has that damn 'sustained' word either however that is beside the point that if a number figure is given on the consoles, then it will have to be assumed to be sustained for the developers sake which by the way were the main target of this presentation (as opposed to MS going public release of xbox wire blogs and DF article which reeks of marketing talk)

I've seen all of your maths. Chill.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
He's saying it's a nothing burger and Sony just forgot to say it's sustained.

Kind of like when people came and said that PS5 may have some hybrid system unlike what's on the XSX when Jim Ryan forgot to verbally acknowledge HW support for RT that was displayed behind him. The ensuing concern trolling got too tiresome too soon.

I would be surprised if sony's footprint isn't smaller. I expect their reservation to be at least 1GB and at most 2GB.

IIRC there was talk about offloading some portion (presumably that would require multiple steps to access) of the OS to the SSD to attain a smaller footprint. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if XSX does the same thing given the ample speed of their SSD.

Oct 31, 2019
We haven't seen PS5 OS profile on RAM. MS went ahead with their reveal of leaner figures for everyone's delight. I know for a fact how cumbersome some menus feel on my One X while in the middle of gaming and hopefully it is solved as well. I still suspect PS5 may have additional RAM just for the OS like on PS4 and they even doubled that on the Pro so this kind of solution is still feasible imo.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
That's quite a reaction for what I felt was a fairly innocuous post, but if the bold parts need explaining:

I'm not suggesting that Sony aren't hitting those speeds continuously, I'm simply sugh eating that they didn't mention it for whatever reason.

The fact of not mentioning it means people question why it wasn't mentioned and some might assume that the reason for that is because something is being hidden, in exactly the same way that people were questioning GCN vs RDNA after the 12TF figure.

Hopefully that clears things up.

Edit: just saw the staff post, I've edited out my final question to stop this going any further.
MS talked about software solutions as if they were custom hardware developments, have you wondered that also?.
Have you wondered how misleading is that they didnt mention that the sustained 2,4 GB/s without improvements in the hardware IO will end up being 1 GB/s or less in the real world?.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
I just feel there is a lot o weird stuff going about with regards to the PS5. Cerny said RT, explained the variable clock thing, talked up SSD...and somehow, everything is either doubted or flat out referred to as lies but everything fromMS seems to be taken as gospel. I really don't know where all that is coming from. Or why... hell, even sony's compression method and tech has been put to question too but somehowBCpackis the new best thing since sliced bread.

That weird stuff is happening because of overzealous fans that cannot see beyond hardware numbers. Are there even any Sony fans here that believe the PS5 is more powerful? However it seems that whenever people bring up the SSD, Xbox fans get a bit defensive/opinionated. The title of the MS Studios OT is playful yes, but it shows they see anyone bringing up as the SSD advantage as a joke.

List of fanboy talking points:

- 9.2 TF
- Boosted GPU
- Not Full RT
- 3D Audio / Audio Hardware not unique to PS5
- Compression method not as efficient as BCPack, SSD "peak" speed advantage negated, maybe even surpassed
- **FRESH & NEW** SSD speeds not sustained

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
This thread is about the specified Specs Cerny has discussed for the PS5 and what that means for playstation going foward. This thread is not about the XSX or conspiracy theories about hardware developers fabricating their hardware specifications
This isn't going to fix things. They're two like products and discussion stems from the approaches Sony took the only comparisons are PC and the other console. When have a question about SSDs what do you as a mod think will be the comparison? It's a cyclical problem and the only solution is to police both sides (more work for you) people who are questioning how Sony is planning on preventing throttling aren't coming up with conspiracy theories. There is actual precedent in Sony going less than ideal in cooling solution and coupling that with allowing third party drives is only raising more questions as someone who legit plans on getting one of these things I think these are topics that should be discussed in a logical way without accusations on both sides. DrKeo brings up good points, as does Chris I just believe everyone needs to come at it with a open mind and not accuse people of agendas as soon as a difference of opinion takes place.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't going to fix things. They're two like products and discussion stems from the approaches Sony took the only comparisons are PC and the other console. When have a question about SSDs what do you as a mod think will be the comparison? It's a cyclical problem and the only solution is to police both sides (more work for you) people who are questioning how Sony is planning on preventing throttling aren't coming up with conspiracy theories. There is actual precedent in Sony going less than ideal in cooling solution and coupling that with allowing third party drives is only raising more questions as someone who legit plans on getting one of these things I think these are topics that should be discussed in a logical way without accusations on both sides. DrKeo brings up good points, as does Chris I just believe everyone needs to come at it with a open mind and not accuse people of agendas as soon as a difference of opinion takes place.
Now will be the PS4 fan is noisy?.
Yes, whatever... Sony didnt make one thing well and MS all of them, except for the PC size case of course...

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
That weird stuff is happening because of overzealous fans that cannot see beyond hardware numbers. Are there even any Sony fans here that believe the PS5 is more powerful? However it seems that whenever people bring up the SSD, Xbox fans get a bit defensive/opinionated. The title of the MS Studios OT is playful yes, but it shows they see anyone bringing up as the SSD advantage as a joke.

List of fanboy talking points:

- 9.2 TF
- Boosted GPU
- Not Full RT
- 3D Audio / Audio Hardware not unique to PS5
- Compression method not as efficient as BCPack, SSD "peak" speed advantage negated, maybe even surpassed
- **FRESH & NEW** SSD speeds not sustained
Like I said before, some people are really invested in this narrative that Xbox is doing everything better and will win next gen, so they try to spin everything in that direction. The idea that Cerny may have designed a console that is almost as performative but notably more innovative in certain ways that excites developers even more, just doesn't fit the narrative.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
MS talked about software solutions as if they were custom hardware developments, have you wondered that also?.
Have you wondered how misleading is that they didnt mention that the sustained 2,4 GB/s without improvements in the hardware IO will end up being 1 GB/s or less in the real world?.

This is entirely unrelated to anything I've been trying to say. You're missing the point I've been trying to make.

But probably best to draw a line under it for the time being.

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Now will be the PS4 fan is noisy?.
Yes, whatever... Sony didnt make one thing well and MS all of them.
Do you have actual arguments or are you going to continue drive by posting? You're also claiming things without citing your sources like how you basically claim one has an off the shelf solution while the other is super custom. News flash neither uses off the shelf parts their is no such thing as brute force in either product so if you have an actual argument please share and source your claims.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

What?

Why not just wait for the teardown video?
Cerny already mentioned the engineering team doing a wonderful job with cooling.
Why not wait for the teardown before debating if the cooling is up to par or not?

Must the thread rotate back around casting doubts about everything Cerny says?
Now we have people doubting the SSD speed as well?

How did the thread go from Gaia, Chris, sharp , fafa discussing technologies being implemented to this?

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
What?

Why not just wait for the teardown video?
Cerny already mentioned the engineering team doing a wonderful job with cooling.
Why not wait for the teardown before debating if the cooling is up to par or not?

Must the thread rotate back around casting doubts about everything Cerny says?
Now we have people doubting the SSD speed as well?

How did the thread go from Gaia, Chris, sharp , fafa discussing technologies being implemented to this?

because it's a legitimate question in some people's eye? I'm wondering why anything that questions an implementation on a specific side is automatically trolling or calling cerny a liar. But when others claim brute force and off the shelf on the other it's all fine and dandy? We are all adults I reckon with most of us having professional jobs so wouldn't you think that a conversation could be had without ad hominem attacks and Insults. To quote Matt they're just toys after all.

edit.ill be taking a break from this thread you can dm me if you want more of my thoughts but I'm not going to derail the thread

Last edited:

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have actual arguments or are you going to continue drive by posting? You're also claiming things without citing your sources like how you basically claim one has an off the shelf solution while the other is super custom. News flash neither uses off the shelf parts their is no such thing as brute force in either product so if you have an actual argument please share and source your claims.
The I/O custom blocks.

Where are those components in XSX?. Except for the decompressor I mean, that i will give you is really more than the ZLIB decompressor of XB one and PS4...

Last edited:

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread is being shitted in by the same posters, simply concern trolling. The same posters all the time smh

Mar 22, 2020
-XSX's lower bandwidth is in great part due to the wider NAND setup Sony is using in the PS5.
Microsoft or Sony intend to use at least Gen4 x 4L as physical interface to both custom SSDs. Cerny didn't mention wider NAND ICs, I wouldn't expect different ICs but like he said, a controller with 12 separate R/W channels of NAND. I don't think MS specified a channel amount, only a bandwidth.

-"a standard drive" is an oversimplification. Cerny explicitly said that 3rd party drives would need to be faster than 5.5GBps to make sure they would meet speed requirements.
I'm afraid you don't understand what he meant by standard drive. It is not determined by raw speed aka "anything above 5.5GBps is non-standard". Mark Cerny told us: it's gotta be Gen4 x 4L, and it's gotta be as fast as possible, likely peaking towards the limit of 7.88GBps of the interface. Why ? Because it would be a standard drive, aka it has a random controller not made by Sony, like a Phison controller. The only reason to warrant even more bandwidth is because those drives would have only 8 R/W channels (ideally), but mostly they'd implement the standard NVMe priority class arbitration. And to be perfectly clear on that, while Mark Cerny mentioned the spec only accounts for 2 priority levels, he's actually wrong or refering to the wrong thing, the spec does account for over 4 priority levels (excluding Admin level), but 2 priority classes (excluding the Admin class). Sony apparently uses 12 priority levels and maybe a different arbitration mode, but the NVMe standard uses weighted round robin (spec here, page 91, 92, 93).

It's a pretty compelling case that while their custom SSD is pretty high quality, they didn't manufacture external SSDs with their custom controller to extend their I/O with. But they seem to say they will be validating 3rd party drives, and it seems Microsoft did validate a drive or series of drives by Seagate, it's unsure if there was any custom controller involved but there is however custom form factor and cooling (arguably, not much airflow is making its way over the card with no fins. Inside the PS5, from what we can gather, it's still too early to tell how the m.2 plugs in. Either it's a very thin carrier tray like the tray holding the SIM or SD cards on the side of your phone, or it's something to be put in by unscrewing a panel somewhere (that would allow installing some heatsink). The tray would only leave room for a fan blowing air over the controller and NAND. To be fair that would be more than sufficient, given it's only a few watts and some VRM power stages do the same and do fine. More on the spec here pages 10-17.

NVM Express

What is NVMe Technology? The NVM Express® (NVMe®) family of specifications define how host software communicates with non-volatile memory across multiple transports like PCI Express® (PCIe®), RDMA, TCP and more. It is the industry standard for solid state drives (SSDs) in all form factors (U.2...

-"Cerny didn't say anything about fixed speed" is ridiculous. Not only is the notion of "fixed" SSD speed not really valid in the way clocks are
Yes, the SSD controller does not run at a clock speed related to the SoC, and the clock for PCIe will be constant at both ends.
However the controller still remains a slave of the I/O unit inside the SoC. So if the master issuing commands clocks up or down a few 100MHz this should affect read and write speeds because you can bet the decompressor, DMA controller and I/O coprocessors as well as the SRAM for memory mapping are running on core clock (maybe the DMA actually runs at fabric clock, actually, that one would be constant). It's unknown how much that impact is, but there should be one. I included a gerber file from Ryzen 3000 CPUs, but it's clear all the I/O and interconnect runs at fabric clock (half the DDR4 speed, here more likely 1/4th of the GDDR6 speed or 1750MHz).
annotation-2019-06-13-001752-png.124856

Interestingly enough AMD used to recommend 1733MHz and the infinity fabric would get unstable for >1900MHz, I wonder if that voids an upgrade path using GDDR6 ICs rated above 14Gbps, because they would use 2GHz clocks minimum.

TLDR:
  • If the CPU clocks change, decompressor compute power and read/write speeds to the SSD will be impacted.
  • idk how Sony will cool their external m.2 SSD because we don't know much about the physical constraints.
  • I don't expect any of those SSDs to actually thermal throttle when they both output below or well below 10W of heat.
  • Now that I think of it, it's possible 14Gbps GDDR6 are the fastest option currently compatible with Zen2 (unless the monolithic die improves things), because as far as I know, fabric clocks for ryzen 3000 are stable below 1900MHz (and few CPUs actually reach that).
More on the memory layout of Zen2 here (consider removing the I/O die in the case of the APU): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSAFs-t0DCg

It's getting really annoying having to debunk people treating some information as uncertain when so many answers are right there. In the video. The Playstation 5 Deep Dive. With Mark Cerny. The one we are supposed to be discussing here.
While he does cover SSDs/HDDs for over 23 mins, he gets very shy on the details over the high density storage. Like the 5.5GB/s "bandwidth": I assume it is sequential R/W bandwidth ? 1 I/O coprocessor handles R/W requests and the other handles memory mapping, okay, but will this carry over to the external m.2 drive or is it for storage only ? I would also have liked to hear more about 8-9GB/s of decompressed data and if there are any realistic expectations to hit 22GB/s. If possible, the DMA controller would have made a great example of where you'd typically output that much data.

It would be like "guaranteeing" the GDDR6 448 GB/s -- completely meaningless because it is application and usage dependent. It's not a fixed clock rate in hardware.
Everything is "up to" you know ? Just like the teraflops, the bandwidths, the frequencies. However they do have to specify something at some point, likely what the interface is rated for.
Typically, a fixed clock/data rate: 1.75GHz x 32 x 8 = 448 GB/s. Same with everything, really.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
This thread is about the specified Specs Cerny has discussed for the PS5 and what that means for playstation going foward. This thread is not about the XSX or conspiracy theories about hardware developers fabricating their hardware specifications
Thank you and hopefully this helps keep things on topic... Was going to say I went into the Series X thread and its like a paradise over there with everyone chatting nicely and being excited for the console. Would be great to get that for the system I am most excited for too.

Oct 25, 2017
After SSD will not do a miracle. I expect PS5 multiplatform games to load faster maybe it will help in mp games with longer load out of this most multiplatform games will run between 10 and 20% better on XSX(better resolution or better framerate).

SSD and 3D audio chip are here for first-party studios. I would only have liked to see what Rockstar North would have done with the SSD but they are multiplatform.

Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Guerrilla and Santa Monica will do amazing things with it and we will hopefully get more than one game out of each unlike Rockstar.

Oct 31, 2019
because it's a legitimate question in some people's eye? I'm wondering why anything that questions an implementation on a specific side is automatically trolling or calling cerny a liar. But when others claim brute force and off the shelf on the other it's all fine and dandy? We are all adults I reckon with most of us having professional jobs so wouldn't you think that a conversation could be had without ad hominem attacks and Insults. To quote Matt they're just toys after all.
Threads are separated for a reason though. This thread doesn't need drive by posts to save MS face or argue all just by comparison, and vice versa MS thread doesn't need posts defending PS with people here coming there just to rain on their parade. I don't know what happens in MS thread but this one is surely under heavy MS fan bombardment all the time. Personally when I read from where I left off, sometimes discussion starts heading in a good direction in pure speculation and then it is back to argument and comparisons unrelated to the current discussion initiated from elsewhere.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

One that's already been answered by cerny?

He mentioned cooling as an issue and also commented on the work the engineering team has done.
All that's left is the actual teardown.

Should we all start discussing based on semantics that the SSD won't reach the stated speed or the APU will be 9tf based on some doubting the cooling solution, when he's already stated they've done a good job at it and will provide a teardown.

It's unproductive
Why not just wait for the teardown?

There is no attack here.
If we start doubting what the designer says we are simply making no progress on discussion.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

We have to see there cooling system that is how they will deal with throttling .
Until then we take the numbers at face value.

Oct 31, 2019
Thank you and hopefully this helps keep things on topic... Was going to say I went into the Series X thread and its like a paradise over there with everyone chatting nicely and being excited for the console. Would be great to get that for the system I am most excited for too.
Can you link the thread you mentioned? Is it not on the first page?

So they are not even posting stuff there but enjoying themselves all too well in this one with evil maniacal laughters? /s

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Everything is "up to" you know ? Just like the teraflops, the bandwidths, the frequencies. However they do have to specify something at some point, likely what the interface is rated for.
Typically, a fixed clock/data rate: 1.75GHz x 32 x 8 = 448 GB/s. Same with everything, really.
Yes, but the point was to differentiate throughputs and operation rates. Both our hearts may beat at 70 bpm, but maybe mine pumps more CC of blood while yours has more oxygen per unit volume.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Hopefully the next gen's Spud-R-Man's streaming system is going to be something like this (if not better) given the object density and per object detail in question:

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
One thing that I think needs be 'allowed' is having some reservations about the high clocks and low CU count of PS5 without being instantly labeled an Xbot. I am super hyped for both consoles but admittedly was a little disappointed in PS5's spec..it gives me some pause about the systems life span. Of course this could 100% NOT be an issue but it's absolutely a fair thing to at least intelligently discuss without being thrust into 'console war' drivel.

Gully Bully

Aug 19, 2019
Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Guerrilla and Santa Monica will do amazing things with it and we will hopefully get more than one game out of each unlike Rockstar.

I do sometimes wonder if Sony's first party is suddenly going to be on Nintendo's level with the new boost Cerny is giving them for PS gen 5, after what he already did to boost them past their previous averages with the fourth PS gen.

Exciting times ahead.

I will settle for Rockstar-level ambitions with Insomniac-level productivity on the Decima engine tho. Then we will see which PC can handle what, as PS5 shows us what's what.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that I think needs be 'allowed' is having some reservations about the high clocks and low CU count of PS5 without being instantly labeled an Xbot. I am super hyped for both consoles but admittedly was a little disappointed in PS5's spec..it gives me some pause about the systems life span. Of course this could 100% NOT be an issue but it's absolutely a fair thing to at least intelligently discuss without being thrust into 'console war' drivel.

Reservations about the clocks i can see but CU count ?
Until we see there cooling system and get more info on RDNA 2 there not much to say about the high clocks .

Mar 22, 2020
Yes. Cerny did mention it would be less "efficient" to run more CUs, become it would mean:
  • "Academically less resource-efficient" ie CUs might be more underutilized.
  • And maybe also "less power efficient" because you would consume more power at it.
  • And definitely less "cost efficient".
  • But you'd also be faster.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Here's hoping next fast travelling kind of resembles this (if not better):

Just an FYI- Neither Sony nor MS have revealed their full suit of HW features.
Well they can fill half the RAM in about 1 second which is about as long as the wibble wobble effect takes to change from one scene to the next so yeah, we could see real time transformations like this 100%. These are the kinds of changes I think we'll see to game design, things we can't even imagine right now.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Reservations about the clocks i can see but CU count ?
Until we see there cooling system and get more info on RDNA 2 there not much to say about the high clocks .
Well aren't the two closely linked because the high clocks are necessary to achieve 10.3TF with 36 CUs? But yeah I agree that no useful judgements can be made until we see the cooling system, power management etc.

freshyk

Jan 15, 2020
Here's hoping next fast travelling kind of resembles this (if not better):

Just an FYI- Neither Sony nor MS have revealed their full suit of HW features.
There's no doubt that they created that with the next gen console SSD in mind. I'm sure all major engine developers have known for some time the tech in both of these systems.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Yes. Cerny did mention it would be less "efficient" to run more CUs, become it would mean:
  • "Academically less resource-efficient" ie CUs might be more underutilized.
  • And maybe also "less power efficient" because you would consume more power at it.
  • And definitely less "cost efficient".
  • But you'd also be faster.

I transcribed the relevant part of Cerny's presentation :
"Also, it's easier to fully use 36CUs in parallel than it to fully use 48CUs in parallel. When triangles are small, it's much harder to fill all those CUs with useful work. So there's a lot to be said for faster, assuming you can handle the resulting issues which frankly we haven't always done the best job at.

Oct 25, 2017
This is only going to continue until Sony finally shows of the system and the actual, finalized specs.
Sony did release the specs sheet.

"SSD: 825GB, 5.5GB/s Read Bandwidth (Raw)"

blog.us.playstation.com

Unveiling New Details of PlayStation 5: Hardware Technical Specs [UPDATED]

Watch live for a deep dive into PS5's system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.

Lots of people are so insecure, they just can't accept PS5 having even a single advantage over the XSX.

Nov 8, 2017
Spencer feels good about the price of XSX compared to PS5?

Definitely not implausible. The xbox SoC would be larger and cost more, the PS5 cooling would be no less expensive than Xbox's setup, and the PS5 SSD almost assuredly costs more than Xbox storage. Even if PS5 is cheaper, it won't be so much cheaper that Microsoft would be breaking the bank by matching it. I think this is especially true given the not so subtle signals from Sony that they don't want a price-war and probably won't be taking a big bath in an effort to majorly undercut.

It's also possible XSX is $100 more, but I don't expect a difference that big tbh. The Playstation 5 is going to be an expensive box to manufacture, for sure.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Of course it should be allowed, and if you find anything meaningful to say about it you should feel free. Everyone would always like to see more attractive numbers. Why not 32GB? Why not 1.65TB? Why not $199? Why didn't it launch last month? The thing is, the conversation usually ends there as there's just nowhere else to go with it. We know what the specs are. What we don't know yet is what people will do with them, and that's the direction the discussion was starting to turn before the last couple of days worth of bickering.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I really don't think MS could have easily done that to get more speed .
Sony add a bunch of stuff which is going to add cost but also change there board and APU .
I mean MS could have easily not go with there ram layout which much easier to do than change there SSD set up but did not because of certain factors.
I'm talking about the raw speed, not all the bottlenecks on the way. You won't find an NVMe PCIe 4.0 running so slow, 2.4GB/s, thus the 3.8W. Also, DF talked about it, that MS didn't want throttling in their drive.

1) I think you are really overstating SSD fade and heat production. There are many PCIe 4.0 m.2s with simple heatsinks that don't have fade. I have seen multiple drives between 6-8W, but I don't think I've even seen one reach 10W. This is not a challenge to design around for a custom solution.
2) and 3) are justifications for your previous assumptions. I don't have much to say about them other than that I disagree with them.
4) Is a valid point. It will probably not be as elegant as Microsoft's solution, but again, there are already drives that don't fade with the simple addition of a small-medium heatsink, most of them simply passively cooled. If a drive can fit in the bay and the bay is well ventilated, they should work as well as they do on PCs.

Edit: for example, regarding 2), I think it's more likely that Microsoft would have needed to do more hardware work removing bottlenecks for 4GBps theoretical to reliably materialize into 4GBps to the devs. So they called it a day with what they had - BCPack has a very good ratio for textures, which are the biggest chunk of most games AFAIK. Again, thermals just aren't a convincing argument to me.
Cerny said that SSDs with heatsinks won't fit in their bay. When they are talking about putting a 7GB/s heatsinkless drives and having it perform as well as the PS5's SSD, that sounds pretty weird.
People are confusing a couple of things, I think.

The 'at least' 5GB/s was 'the dream', the target they started out with.

5.5GB/s is what they arrived at in the end.

In terms of how much data is coming over any interface, there is no 'fixed' amount - on any platform. It's going to vary with what the application asks for. But in terms of throttling specifically, I think given how much Cerny emphasised bottleneck-free operation across the IO stack, touched on on-demand paging in of data, and the extensive priority management going on, I believe they want to be able to give hard guarantees on when data will come back when requested at certain priority levels. That doesn't tally with a throttling drive. Nor does his talk about how different upsets to expected IO performance can cause framerate stutters. You also don't engineer as much processing silicon into your chip just for I/O to support a given level of throughput if that throughput is not expected. In terms of standard expansions, Cerny said there would need to be an excess of performance there over 5.5GB/s - I'm not sure any drive that throttles below their performance guarantees to the application will pass their compatibility testing. Finally, if you look closely at the presentation, at various times he gave different figures and scenarios - not all of which align exactly or perfectly with '5.5GB/s', but which suggest an expected performance in and around that range.

It's fine to be skeptical, but by the sounds of things, even well before this presentation, the PS5 SSD seems to be special. Third party devs had to - at times, literally - stop themselves from gushing over it in the occasional interview, and spilling too many beans - and doing so unprompted, I might add. Consider that also, in hindsight, when thinking whether there's some significant 'gotcha' behind Cerny's claims.
There is no denying the PS5's SSD is something special, my only question is if it will get throttled below 5.5GB/s, that's it. Not that the XSX solution is better, not that it drops from 5.5GB/s to 2GB/s or something, just if it throttles and if so, how often does it happen and how low does it throttle.

1. In his brief, he specifically put up a slide saying what their"least" expected target was. There is absolutely no reason to postulate that they are probably talking about "peak" performance as opposed to a sustained performance simply because you didn't make it yourself or everything else you know behaves a certain way. Now if he had said with speeds "up to" 5.5GB/s, then sure... what you re saying would stand.
  2. MS could just as easily be using a PCIe 3 controller too. Point is, we don't know. And the would/could shout whatever... never hear the saying about empty barrels? Let the performance numbers speak for themselves when we have them to compare.
  3. Again, he said, "at least 5GB/s". I am sorry, but what else could that possibly mean? When does at least 5GB/s now mean 5GB/s+ sometimes?
  4. Don't forget that these user upgraded standard SSDsare expected to be 7GB/s drives. A GB/s drive working at a slower speed would technically that drive underperforming.
I just feel there is a lot o weird stuff going about with regards to the PS5. Cerny said RT, explained the variable clock thing, talked up SSD...and somehow, everything is either doubted or flat out referred to as lies but everything fromMS seems to be taken as gospel. I really don't know where all that is coming from. Or why... hell, even sony's compression method and tech has been put to question too but somehowBCpackis the new best thing since sliced bread.
The "at least" slides were from their "dream" phase, their "the road to the PS5" story.
MS is using PCIe4, we do know.
You will probably never know the "real numbers", unless you are talking about 3rd party games loading times and that won't tell you much either, if you are expecting the PS5 to have x2 faster loading times, you probably shouldn't, it's never linear like that.

And that's the crazy thing here... sony showed a demo of a PS4 game on the PS5 whatever and a load time difference 8 times faster. But yet we have doubts. MS showed something similar with a load time difference of 4 times and that's all good. I really don't get why that is.

Ok, let's assume sony somehow staged that demo or that that demo isn't reflective of actual final hardware performance... then can't we also be saying the same thing about MS?
The Spider-man demo was created for the PS5 in order to demonstrate the SSD, the XSX BC games were BC games running with their original code without any SSD adjustments, so I wouldn't take much from these demos in regard to comparing the two. I would actually argue that Microsoft gave themselves an easy time considering the quick resume games are all Xbox One games, obviously resuming an XSX game that takes 13.5GB of memory will take more time than the BC games that take 5GB that they've shown.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
So good to see, thank you! Been looking forward to having a thread to read about PS5 specs and news without having it inevitably derailed with console warring and fanboyism.

Status
Not open for further replies.