• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
If devs can make games that look as good as ffvii remake, re2 remake, devil May cry 5, god of war, and more on a 1.8tf PS4, just think how good they're going to look on a 10.3 tf ps5.

it's going to be insane. If they can price it at $399, they win.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
In multiplatforms probably (it could feasibly improve asset detail/texture streaming speed)...

When it comes to exclusives I think people do need to understand this on some level:
Games on XSX are going to be held back by also having to work with a 5400RPM HDD.
Games on PS5 can take advantage of loading from SSD two orders of magnitude faster.

Some perspective is helpful at times. The XSX has a GPU that is twice as powerful as the X1X. The PS5's memory bandwidth is more like one hundred times faster than the PS4 Pro's. There's plenty to be excited about in terms of what the additional CPU and GPU power will mean for the XSX and PS5, especially when it comes to the new tech like raytracing... but the shift from HDD to SSD is this generation's true revolution. Unfortunately it's only when we stop having to develop games around HDDs that it will really, really matter.

This is more about the future of the XSX rather than what you'll see initially. For the next couple of years all multiplatform games (including all Microsoft exclusives) are going to be targeted at hardware which doesn't have a guaranteed SSD. It would be extremely challenging to build a game which both took full advantage of an SSD and still work on an HDD.
Well said.

I can't speak for anybody else, but this is the exact kind of architecture I was saying would truly satisfy me. If someone came to me and asked if I wanted to give up a bit of pixel-pushing for the fastest drive I would take it without hesitation.

In my opinion, ultra fast drive speeds like the PS5 one are the true generational game changing technology. Series X is pretty good as well. However, the PS5 one is like a dream come true and I can't wait to see how it translates to everything from game design to lightning fast OS features.
What John is saying sounds pretty right to me! I don't want to down play GPU power, but I promise everybody that you will be absolutely blown away by visuals on both consoles. However, the SSDs are the big difference when coming into this gen. We're not talking about "load times" in the classic sense. That's an antiquated way of thinking about data coming from your hard drive. For the last 10+ years we've been streaming worlds on the fly. The problem is that our assets are absolutely huge now, as are our draw distances, and our hard drives can't keep up. It means that as you move through the world we're trying to detect and even predict what assets need loading. Tons of constraints get put into place due to this streaming speed.

An ultra fast drive like the one in PS5 means you could be load in the highest level LOD asset for your models way further than you could before and make worlds any way you want without worry of it streaming in fast enough. The PS5 drive is so fast I imagine you could load up entire neighborhoods in a city with all of their maps at super high resolution in a blink of an eye. It's exciting. People don't realize that this will also affect visuals in a big way. If we can stream in bigger worlds and stream in the highest detail texture maps available, it will just look so much better.

I think the Xbox drive is also good! The PS5 drive is just "dream level" architecture though.
This stuff is wonderful to hear - sounds like an absolute dream from a development ease and creative freedom perspective. Sounds like Cerny's visits to development studios were fruitful indeed. Lead the way!

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
You'd have to ask him that. What I do know is that not every feature - even marquee features - are going to get covered in a one hour conference.

Besides, Matt knows what he's talking about. So if you're suggesting PS5 doesn't have VRS, all I can say is good luck with that.
Anyone who's disappointed with Ps5 really needs to listen to Digital Foundry Direct.

Hell, Ps5 seems to be a fucking masterpiece of an architecture.
Apart from the ssd, the masterpiece is from AMD as nothing is custom in the cpu nor the gpu. Quite the contrary, lacks features as VRS.

Oct 27, 2017
What I dispute is they did make the choice to use this specification or setup because of easier utilization, because easier or not it is less capable and that will make a difference, it was a choice to make balance with the rest of the hardware and the performance goals/cost.

Have you considered the possibility that they didn't base the decision on [this is easier to work with] or [this is cheaper to manufacture]...
... but on a holistic evaluation of what is the most efficient combination of performance, usability and cost?

Designing hardware is more complex than deciding how expensive you can go and the filling the box with the best components for that sum.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
i may have mentioned this in the other thread, but i am struggling to see why third party devs will target the 22 gbps ssd speeds when the xbox series x has literally 5x slower speeds. this kind of stuff will only be utilized by first party devs which means 2-3 AAA exclusives max a year. do i really want this to be a switch like console i only turn on a few times a year?

im also not convinced that this boost clock will stay there 98% of the time like he says. 10w in savings after just dropping down 2% in clocks? i guess we will find out come launch if the difference in resolution is 30% or 15%. he also said that they struggled to hit 3.0 ghz without this variable clock system, but ms managed to hit 3.6 ghz with a fixed clock system. 3.8 with smt off. if they are both on the same arch why is sony running into these issues and MS isnt?

RT is another concern of mine but gofreak said TMU performance scales with clocks so hopefully it wont be too bad. again, im hoping for the best but we have no demos, no mindblowing trailers like hellblade 2 showing off photorealistic visuals, no path traced demos. its wait and see.

bottom line is that we are left with more questions than answers and its kinda frustrating.

They don't have to target the PS5 SSD speed it being faster than XSX will allow devs to moves thing in and out of ram faster .
Will this make them change there whole game design of course not .
Will this allow them to use the ram better yes and everything that comes with that like less pop in better textures etc etc etc .

pratyush1991

Jan 9, 2020
So in nutshell, Game developers are happy with both hardware and some think PS5 is the 'best hardware in 20 years" but fanboys see TFLOP number and declare that PS5 is dead? Who to believe?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
You're trying way too hard.

You seem to be under the impression that I'm a Sony fanboy. I owned a 360, PS3 and Wii U, I own an Xbox One, PS4 and Switch and I will buy both of these consoles at or near launch.

After a year or two the Xbox One won't even be considered any longer and ironically that has usually been the time crossgen titles from third party start to make great games and when Sony starts to roll out its big titles.

I don't think we should make too many assumptions about when games will come out when nothing is announced one way or another. Not all generations play out the same way.

We all know games like Halo Infinite will be filled with what if this was only Series X no matter how good it looks.

I'm sure Infinite will be stunning. It won't be able to take anything like full advantage of the SSD. It will broadly have to use the same tricks as current gen games to deliver its game world, even if the XSX doesn't need them. They can probably find something to use a lot of that bandwidth for, but they can't build the game with it in mind.

It is just impossible to get proper reads from people who are notorious for siding with one company from the get go. When watching Digital Foundry they absolutely love both new hardware, you come here and it's the same speech from certain indiviiduals we heard all current gen now carrying over to next gen.

You seem to find it very hard to tolerate people that don't accept the view of the XSX being a massively superior prospect to the PS5.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
You seem to be under the impression that I'm a Sony fanboy. I owned a 360, PS3 and Wii U, I own an Xbox One, PS4 and Switch and I will buy both of these consoles at or near launch.

I'm not calling anyone anything, I'm just highlighting a pattern.

You seem to find it very hard to tolerate people that don't accept the view of the XSX being a massively superior prospect to the PS5.
You're the one working overtime here trying to elevate one over the other, not me. Like I said, I'm just noticing a pattern , that is all. You watch Digital Foundry and they hype each, you come here and it's the same familar patterns.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xeontech, bro!

xgqE9j.gif

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
tenor.gif

The time has come! The end to this living nightmare of speculation is upon us!

ShadowKingpin
AndyD
MonsterMech

All three of you got lucky, threw a dart at a board, and picked the date it landed on! Because of this you three get blessed with a tag that the staff and I have agreed on!

And that tag is:

Mambo Number PS5

I'll be dishing out these tags to you shortly! Congratulations! Also, I'll be talking with our resident Doct0r about his promise to pre-order a PS5 for one of the lucky winners.

But Transistor.... What about those that picked a date AFTER today?

Well, that's a great question. Let's look at my list:

Lausebub, zephiross, ekim, jikevgw, Stripper13, Crumpo, Jeffries tube, TheCommonDan, InsaneTiger, sleepr, panda-zebra, Quintus, et3rn1tyGR, Adum, Civzy, FSmallhands, CD_93, Midas, Dest, KevdotL, Brown Intruder, hemo memo, Luck, SlipperyFishes, Kalasai, That1GoodHunter, meenseen84, Azurik, Xanfrabot, DrKeo, Hybrid Rainbow, Pharaoh, RoninStrife, Florin4k4, janusff, haugh645, Openrob, Searsy82, Jack-O-Lantern, ActusReusJB, Evolved1, TechnicPuppet, Bunta, groganos, DamnedLife, Cincaid, Reckheim, Blanquito, FacesAndAces, theusedversion, Joe White, jesu, Lostduke, MistaPropella, Sedated, i-Lo, Mitchman1411, Hamrub, MrDeveus, Sambodianninja, KingBae, Ganja, Isayas, zodiaq, Cyborg, Sense, Retsudo, Sojillo, KoRnTuNeS, andresmoros, Katzenbuckel, zeldor711, Stoopkid, john miller, nizerifin, Alandring, ZOONAMI, Andromeda, D BATCH, ____, EagleClaw, spookyghost, Trieu, Azdoune, Jdogg4089

For all of these souls? Well.... I have something special lined up.

Stay tuned....

a257b73d91c566ecb35f45356b49bde5.gif

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not calling anyone anything, I'm just highlighting a pattern.

You're the one working overtime here trying to elevate one over the other, not me. Like I said, I'm just noticing a pattern , that is all. You watch Digital Foundry and they hype each, you come here and it's the same familar patterns.

There are hundreds of people 'elevating' the XSX above the PS5. Go pester them.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Full remake of the first game, with a fully open world and dynamic Ishimura.
I just played some of it last year, and it feels a little clunky in places; you can feel the age. But some of the interaction design felt very up-to-date. And that first cutscene with the bubble canopy bridge as they drop out of jump into the debris field...it just got my sci-fi nerd juices going.

I'm saying I doubt what he said about keeping 2.23GHz at "most" of the time, it is a very hard thing to do.
The introduction to his presentation described exactly how his job works, visiting repeatedly with actual developers to inform his design decisions. That console design no longer works by artistic projection, but by direct data analysis of real-world workloads. Yet you think Mr. Cerny has a worse grasp on what the hardware is capable of than you do.

What I dispute is they did make the choice to use this specification or setup because of easier utilization, because easier or not it is less capable and that will make a difference, it was a choice to make balance with the rest of the hardware and the performance goals/cost.
I might point out that it remains to be seen how much less capable PS5 will be. The primary implication of the entire talk, very explicitly stated, was that much work was put into matching resources to typical demands more closely. The compute gap between XSX and PS5 is indeed meaningful, but there are reasons to believe final performance may not be quite as distinct as appears on first glance.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
People are seriously disappointed or is it console wars related?

Both Digital Foundry videos on each console have gotten me hyped.
Pretty much console wars related. How anyone can be disappointed with a 10.3TF vs 12.1TF console is beyond me. I mean if it was 10TF vs 15TF maybe I would understand.
In the Digital Foundry video, John and Richard sounded perplexed that Cerny didn't mention variable rate shading or machine learning, Richard speculated that perhaps this means the PS5 isn't full RDNA2.
Aren't those all parts of the RDNA2 spec? I don't think sony needs to say all that stuff if they come standard with RDNA2.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 exclusives will be far ahead of the first few XBX games with the SSD, i do think it will mostly be with Sony's first party and whoever they pay in second and third party games. COD getting some extra care put into the PS5 port seems reasonable. People need show-cases at how bonkers the bandwith truly is.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually prefer if the PS5 doesn't have vrs. I want my shading 100 percent at all times, give me dat quality.
Kidding obviously

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much console wars related. How anyone can be disappointed with a 10.3TF vs 12.1TF console is beyond me. I mean if it was 10TF vs 15TF maybe I would understand.

Aren't those all parts of the RDNA2 spec? I don't think sony needs to say all that stuff if they come standard with RDNA2.
Didn't you know? If Sony doesn't specify every single feature then it means they don't have it!! /s

This was obviously a talk aimed at discussing what sets the PS5 apart.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'd actually prefer if the PS5 doesn't have vrs. I want my shading 100 percent at all times, give me dat quality.
Kidding obviously
The thing is that Sony is already heavily invested in this type of dynamic LOD because of VR.

Well, there is also the additional advancements provided by the DirectStorage API layer on top of it.
You can throw all the API layers you want. You can't obviate hardware restrictions.

I doubt it makes a difference, but PS5's only clear advantage is the SSD.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I wonder if the 6GB/s figure given by Microsoft is theoretical or measured.
It's not all that important. Remember these are lossless compression schemes. There are "no" guarantees you'll get a 2x average size reduction, let alone anything more.
Although sure, decompression peak of 22gb/s is pretty crazy, and they have a much more robust codec to begin with.

the smallest difference in raw power in years
Strictly speaking it would be the smallest difference of any 3d console gen, so 25 years? But who's counting.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I just played some of it last year, and it feels a little clunky in places; you can feel the age. But some of the interaction design felt very up-to-date. And that first cutscene with the bubble canopy bridge as they drop out of jump into the debris field...it just got my sci-fi nerd juices going.

Main failures of the first game, IMO, are encounter design that can get pretty unimaginative and, by the end, definitively gets stale and repetitive; it doesn't do nearly as much as it could with such and amazing setting - the Ishimura is simply amazing, Overlook Hotel, Silent Hill and Rapture level amazing. I want to know more about it, I want to see what it can show me. It feels like such a well realized place, with a sense of history and identity, and yet we catch only faint glimpses of it.

I replay it every now and then and it has held up pretty well, all things considered.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
indeed, too many focus on a couple of TFs and throw their eggs out the basket in what will overall be a very difficult metric to tell differences in games unless under a microscope again. the game changers here are the SSDs and other architectural progresses that will give outlets like DF new areas to explore.

I'm not sure you really understand how much work has to go into calculating accurate phase relationship between speakers especially when moving from an headset HRTF to TV to varying surround setups, FFT, room modes... etc as you wouldn't be saying this.

A chip like this for 3d audio has been a long time coming... also there have been example of this in practice, I believe CES they had a demo room, branded "360 Reality Audio"... so it's not like Sony have no experience here. I believe this is in part fruits of that labour.
mv.jpg

If you don't quite understand the audio mumbo jumbo I can understand this sentiment... but like the SSD it is a gamechanger also... absolutely

Considering atmos is a meta object based surround format, and this 3D audio tech will be an advancement on that process with HRTF and Fast Fourier Transform... current Atmos soundbars that even sony make use some of the processes that Sony are looking to perfect. difference here is Sony are looking to bring the HRTF to the living room listening experience which is incredibly difficult when dealing with phase, room modes.

Possibly, depends on if sony implement the use of Dolby's AC-4 format natively. I expect they'll be supporting the current standard Fraunhofer IIS MPEG-H codec for object based surround formats.

HRTF doesn't need to be tailor made... HRTF is used to create the experiences you get currently for many binaural recordings. Your ears aren't individually measured there... but what Cerny was talking about is the most immersive way to experience HRTF is accurate measurement of recordings of your ears. This is just like getting custom made moulds made for in-ears for monitoring as a sound engineer... Also this stuff has been around for a long time, but this an advancement with a chip like this. I can assure you something like this is important.

Frankly, I don't really care how much work it is. This is a better left to the PSVR2 unveil event, where it'll actually matter. In terms of flat screen PS5 gaming, Dolby/DTS has already done that work to an acceptable level, I'd prefer to just have Atmos or DTS-X Home Theater support with better developer side tools that allows for higher quality implementations within those format's limits. They have guidelines/recommendations for placement and angles to deploy systems, Sony has none of that. It doesn't sound like they plan on licensing any current container, so in the distant future (assuming they do get the surround implementation working), I'm not sure how they'll actually deploy it. Seems they're planning on just using the ground plane speakers and faking/virtualizing height channels as their graphic had no indication of discrete channels. MPCM can't directly access the height channels can it? Or perhaps they're planning on launching their own Tempest codec that audio manufactures will have to license from them.

Last edited:

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

I'm not even sure if AMD would allow Sony to say it was RDNA2 if it was not.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Have you considered the possibility that they didn't base the decision on [this is easier to work with] or [this is cheaper to manufacture]...
... but on a holistic evaluation of what is the most efficient combination of performance, usability and cost?

Designing hardware is more complex than deciding how expensive you can go and the filling the box with the best components for that sum.

This is exactly what I said, and for sure we are not in a position to judge their decisions, but I honestly don't like it when I feel someone is trying to over-sell their product while downplaying what the competition is doing, defending every single hardware choice like it is superior even if it is not better - at least in terms of raw power/performance.

And here is something I noticed while I was overclocking GPUs i used in the past: games do not always scale to the same level with higher frequencies, some games gain boost more than the others, other games which are very complex in visuals will definitely make use of the higher RDNA2 CUs regardless of the higher frequency which won't have the same effectiveness for every game.

The introduction to his presentation described exactly how his job works, visiting repeatedly with actual developers to inform his design decisions. That console design no longer works by artistic projection, but by direct data analysis of real-world workloads. Yet you think Mr. Cerny has a worse grasp on what the hardware is capable of than you do.

Mr Cerny is trying to sell you a product and not only informing you, not every single word from professionals is always accurate. even then, if we assumed it really keeps working at this level at all time then it is more worrying actually. personally, as a consumer/player... I don't like the approach of very high frequencies, it never led to a better experience for me, it only made problems for systems/gpus I've owned, problems like over-heating, high noise levels, or even failing and having short life-span.

I really wish this system is cool enough to not have hardware issues, less frequency would've made me more confident and less worried about the hardware stability. I strongly wish they really managed to get to this level of frequency with high stability, not that they pushed it to extreme limits creating issues in the process only to boost that TFs number that seems very important for a lot of people to be more in line with Microsoft.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that Sony is already heavily invested in this type of dynamic LOD because of VR.

You can throw all the API layers you want. You can't obviate hardware restrictions.

I doubt it makes a difference, but PS5's only clear advantage is the SSD.

Anex with the PS5 having twice the SSD you think we will see better textures , details or anything like that in mutliplat games ?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
PS5 exclusives will be far ahead of the first few XBX games with the SSD, i do think it will mostly be with Sony's first party and whoever they pay in second and third party games. COD getting some extra care put into the PS5 port seems reasonable. People need show-cases at how bonkers the bandwith truly is.

I think the bandwidth will be way easier to use\maximise than people think.

Like if one console had double the ram of the other you wouldn't be worried that the one with more wouldn't get to use it.

It's a paradigm shift, that's why it's hard to conceptualise what maximising these drives will be like.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Um, I was merely talking about the work MS has done for games specifically related to retrieving data from storage. This does not apply only to the XSX but also PC.
Sir, this is a PS5 thread.
Anex with the PS5 having twice the SSD you think we will see better textures , details or anything like that in mutliplat games ?
Nope. I doubt most devs will take the time to optimize to it, and if they do, it won't be in meaningful ways like first parties will.

tomwarren talking out of his ass I see 😉

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

The time has come! The end to this living nightmare of speculation is upon us!

ShadowKingpin
AndyD
MonsterMech

All three of you got lucky, threw a dart at a board, and picked the date it landed on! Because of this you three get blessed with a tag that the staff and I have agreed on!

And that tag is:

Mambo Number PS5

I'll be dishing out these tags to you shortly! Congratulations! Also, I'll be talking with our resident Doct0r about his promise to pre-order a PS5 for one of the lucky winners.

But Transistor.... What about those that picked a date AFTER today?

Well, that's a great question. Let's look at my list:

Lausebub, zephiross, ekim, jikevgw, Stripper13, Crumpo, Jeffries tube, TheCommonDan, InsaneTiger, sleepr, panda-zebra, Quintus, et3rn1tyGR, Adum, Civzy, FSmallhands, CD_93, Midas, Dest, KevdotL, Brown Intruder, hemo memo, Luck, SlipperyFishes, Kalasai, That1GoodHunter, meenseen84, Azurik, Xanfrabot, DrKeo, Hybrid Rainbow, Pharaoh, RoninStrife, Florin4k4, janusff, haugh645, Openrob, Searsy82, Jack-O-Lantern, ActusReusJB, Evolved1, TechnicPuppet, Bunta, groganos, DamnedLife, Cincaid, Reckheim, Blanquito, FacesAndAces, theusedversion, Joe White, jesu, Lostduke, MistaPropella, Sedated, i-Lo, Mitchman1411, Hamrub, MrDeveus, Sambodianninja, KingBae, Ganja, Isayas, zodiaq, Cyborg, Sense, Retsudo, Sojillo, KoRnTuNeS, andresmoros, Katzenbuckel, zeldor711, Stoopkid, john miller, nizerifin, Alandring, ZOONAMI, Andromeda, D BATCH, ____, EagleClaw, spookyghost, Trieu, Azdoune, Jdogg4089

For all of these souls? Well.... I have something special lined up.

Stay tuned....

a257b73d91c566ecb35f45356b49bde5.gif

Thank you so much, Transistor!

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the bandwidth will be way easier to use\maximise than people think.

Like if one console had double the ram of the other you wouldn't be worried that the one with more wouldn't get to use it.

It's a paradigm shift, that's why it's hard to conceptualise what maximising these drives will be like.
I mean i hope so, this presentation was meant to show that to developers. It doesn't seem abstract to me, but seeing is believing. Many will use UE4 and that'll get optimized for next gen and the new bandwith, but i don't know how specialized to the platforms they will make it. Many devs in japan are slow on the adoption of these new shiny things.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
This is exactly what I said, and for sure we are not in a position to judge their decisions, but I honestly don't like it when I feel someone is trying to over-sell their product while downplaying what the competition is doing, defending every single hardware choice like it is superior even if it is not better - at least in terms of raw power/performance.

And here is something I noticed while I was overclocking GPUs i used in the past: games do not always scale to the same level with higher frequencies, some games gain boost more than the others, other games which are very complex in visuals will definitely make use of the higher RDNA2 CUs regardless of the higher frequency which won't have the same effectiveness for every game.

Mr Cerny is trying to sell you a product and not only informing you, not every single word from professionals is always accurate. even then, if we assumed it really keeps working at this level at all time then it is more worrying actually. personally, as a consumer/player... I don't like the approach of very high frequencies, it never led to a better experience for me, it only made problems for systems/gpus I've owned, problems like over-heating, high noise levels, or even failing and having short life-span.

I really wish this system is cool enough to not have hardware issues, less frequency would've made me more confident and less worried about the hardware stability. I strongly wish they really managed to get to this level of frequency with high stability, not that they pushed it to extreme limits creating issues in the process only to boost that TFs number that seems very important for a lot of people to be more in line with Microsoft.
Men you're making a lot of assumptions here. Silly ones at that.

I would think that you would at least believe that sony and their hardware team have a fairly decent idea about what they are going as opposed to them lying or making some sort of mistake because they are doing something you don't believe to be the case.

I mean Cerny even went as far as say it was capped meaning they could have gone higher. All these theories you are pulling outa God knows where are just baseless.

You have two very potent console that went about designing their hardware in two very different ways. And right now you are on sony's case cause they aren't conventional enough for your liking?

Ad sony's "boost mode" doesn't even work the way any post mode has worked before it. They aren't boosting clocks and in turn power consumption, they are keeping power consumption constant and changing the frequencies of either the CPU or GPU as needed. This is done so right out the gate they can build a cooling solution that would be guaranteed t keep the system cool.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I think the fact the computational power of the audio chip is as powerful as the entire PS4 Jaguar is amazing. Lots of cools bells and whistles on PS4 the more I look at it

Status
Not open for further replies.