• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
A pair of 36CU chiplets, yes, but I highly doubt they would double the CPU cores/threads. Doesn't make sense. Games would have to be built on 8c/16t.
What they would do is clock the CPU past 4 GHz. What I don't know though, is if it would make sense to still use Zen 2 architecture, or use Zen 4 architecture for the IPC boost. Either way, I think consoles will stick with 8c/16t until PS6.

I assumed that Pro patches would include reprogramming to take advantage of 32 threads, but I guess that's not an option. Here's something I was wondering - would games initially programmed to run on 16 threads be capable of automatically running on 16 physical cores and therefore getting a performance boost?

HBM3 or HBM3+ would make sense, but HBM4 (it's due in 2022-2024) would be too new for a console, or not even available.

Really? I thought HBM4 might actually be cheaper and more efficient so long as you weren't looking for an actual performance boost over average HBM3 speeds. 16-24GB at 1TB/s maybe?

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
Even if they are doing something on June 4th, doesn't mean they wont do anything else before then. They could still show the console in May and then do a bigger presentation in June with games, interface, price, date, etc.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
I don't understand why would that mean trouble for Sony. Last time we've got full console reveal during E3 2013 which was in June.
Uhh june was E3 month. It makes sense to do it in june.
Guess sarcasm does not come across well on a forum.

There seems to be some people trying to create a narrative that because Sony have yet to show the console and PS5 games they are somehow in trouble.

All while PS4 is having a fantastic year of games.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just wanna know the price at this point. Hoping it's not $600.

I doubt there's any way the system is $600. BoM predictions have it costing between $460 and $520 to manufacture, so I'd imagine $499 would be a max ceiling as presumably Microsoft will be willing to eat a small loss at launch.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I think we are getting that cooling solution breakdown and the console box reveal in May. In June, we are getting the full blowout with games, demos, launch date, and launch pricing.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
Lmao, do people really think a few weeks is going to mean anything? Sony could do it a day before launch and still outsell their competitors.

The hype will be astronomical
Sony could release a 5 minute video showing the console with a sizzle reel of PS5 games and still sell every PS5 console they can ship.

They are so dominant in a number of markets their biggest issue during 2020/2021 will be producing enough consoles to meet demand.

I just wanna know the price at this point. Hoping it's not $600.
Do not worry it will be under $500

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
If it's over $500 Phil Spencer will personally throw a party for the entire Xbox team
I doubt there's any way the system is $600. BoM predictions have it costing between $460 and $520 to manufacture, so I'd imagine $499 would be a max ceiling as presumably Microsoft will be willing to eat a small loss at launch.
Sony could release a 5 minute video showing the console with a sizzle reel of PS5 games and still sell every PS5 console they can ship.

They are so dominant in a number of markets their biggest issue during 2020/2021 will be producing enough consoles to meet demand.

Ah, well, I was kind of under the impression people were expecting the new systems to be pretty expensive

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran

You never know when your fanbase could switch their side to another party. 2013 and 2005 is the year when this has happened before. Anything can happen in this gen.

Oct 30, 2017
I still want a PS5 Pro. I know some don't.

But owning a PS4 Pro right now is nice. I'm ready for a visual upgrade but the games still look pretty solid.
I understand how the current console refreshes make sense in a context that may not make as much sense this generation.

But it may prove to be even more useful for further enhanced VR or guaranteeing native 4k/60 fps in a lot of games. Or pushing 120 fps. But these upsides may not be valued very much by consumers.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
I would be shocked if they do nothing in May. They will throw us a bone.

I think May we will get to see the console, with deep dive articles (wired, DF etc) and announcement of June event.

You never know when your fanbase could switch their side to another party. 2013 and 2005 is the year when this has happened before. Anything can happen in this gen.
This concern will only effect the North America market (maybe UK). MS have such a small market share in Europe and Asia.

My comment was more around Sony being concerned about keeping up with demand, which I think everyone can agree is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.