• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
What I would like is a clear proper explanation f how sony's fixed power but variable frequency thing works. I have an idea but it doesn't make that much sense to me how its different from what is done In PCs right now with CPUs and GPUs able to run at different clocks based on load.
I don't have a clear proper analogy formed in my head yet, but I will just rely on MC. Simple structure, like a game map, run highly inefficiently while highly complex scenes with dense, small workloads run much more efficiently. They also happen to be what is encountered most while actually playing your graphically intense AAA game.

In my brain worm riddled pink stuff it works like this: In this way, the GPU is able to operate at the higher efficiency when it is correlated with a matched load , ie. small, dense workloads, and is more inefficient as it tackles larger, simpler workloads. Efficiency in a transistor means that less power is dissipated within the device as heat, and more power is used to do the actual computations. At 2.2 GHz we are firmly in low RF frequencies and traditional methodologies of thinking break down. This is all of course, just how I internalize it bc that is how RF & u-wave transistors for different applications are used.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I just want to know how low the GPU can go, hopefully still in the 10TF range.
Alright... I figured it out.

Base on my understanding of it, I would say the GPU can go as low as whatever it's required to go as ould the CPU but not higher than 3.5Gh for the CPU or 2.23Ghz for the GPU.

Basically, what sony has done is figure out exactly he much power is needed to run their APU at those clocks. The build their cooling system around that specific power profile. This is why sony knows or believes the system can run at that clock pretty much all the time. But if things start getting hotter than planned, it ould simply cut back on the power it's sending to the APU, slight 2-5% downclock of either the CPU or GPU can shave off a sizeable amount of power draw.
I don't have a clear proper analogy formed in my head yet, but I will just rely on MC. Simple structure, like a game map, run highly inefficiently while highly complex scenes with dense, small workloads run much more efficiently. They also happen to be what is encountered most while actually playing your graphically intense AAA game.

In my brain worm riddled pink stuff it works like this: In this way, the GPU is able to operate at the higher efficiency when it is correlated with a matched load , ie. small, dense workloads, and is more inefficient as it tackles larger, simpler workloads. Efficiency in a transistor means that less power is dissipated within the device as heat, and more power is used to do the actual computations. At 2.2 GHz we are firmly in low RF frequencies and traditional methodologies of thinking break down. This is all of course, just how I internalize it bc that is how RF & u-wave transistors for different applications are used.
Thanks.

TheRoyalBoob

Nov 16, 2017
I don't recall that.

From what I understand yes, but I would defer to someone with in-depth knowledge.

Yes, there are many inconsistencies but a few people here still somehow think it was gospel. It wasn't for either console, but it did set us in the same ballpark as the final results.

My guy, I am full on sporting a Mark Cerny as Bob Ross Painting SSD avatar. I lap up tech talks cause I am 100% used to them and deliver even duller ones myself on the regular. I spend hundred of hours every year reading journal and conference articles.

My personal opinion on the talk: clearly not technical enough for devs, and at the same time way the fuck over the head of 90% of playstation family. As a speaker, the #1 rule is know your audience. I am not saying it is his fault, I am sure there was pressure to respond to a wide audience, but this was mismanaged. This presentation missed the mark in more ways than one.
You can't have the first event about your new shiny console be directed at developers.

Especially when you know your fanbase is thirsty for any info, and you go as far to hype it on social media.

There were over 700K people watching concurrently, only to listen to some high level tech lecture.

At least show some demos to illustrate to the fans how revolutionary your new system is.

The live chat when cerny showed the HRTF formula had me in tears lol
Yes but it all depends on what you perceive to be the first event. Take it for what it was, just a middle of the road tech talk. Just a briefing. Maybe a bit frustrating but we just have to wait. You got info. You didn't get games. You'll get that now the tech stuff is out of the way. Do you really think a Wednesday morning online is the way to fully announce a console? I don't really know what else you were expecting. The reality is 700k and probably quite a few more will see it at a dedicated event in the summer, the tens of millions more are likely to first see PS5 in October/November via a media campaign, just like the This Is For The Players Campaign for PS4. Just feels like people are clutching at straws when the thing isn't really out of the traps yet.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

edit: Geometry Engine is definitely part of RDNA (see the white paper), so perhaps there's some Sony Sauce in there.

100% there are more secrets to share.

Yes but it all depends on what you perceive to be the first event. Take it for what it was, just a middle of the road tech talk. Just a briefing. Maybe a bit frustrating but we just have to wait. You got info. You didn't get games. You'll get that now the tech stuff is out of the way. Do you really think a Wednesday morning online is the way to fully announce a console? I don't really know what else you were expecting. The reality is 700k and probably quite a few more will see it at a dedicated event in the summer, the tens of millions more are likely to first see PS5 in October/November via a media campaign, just like the This Is For The Players Campaign for PS4. Just feels like people are clutching at straws when the thing isn't really out of the traps yet.

Like I said, it was a technical deep dive. Many people expected something more. I did not. If anything, I have complained that it wasn't technical enough. Do 85 million people need to watch that and be confused at Sony's messaging? Fuck no. 84 million people won't make it through the first 15 minutes without thinking they are now being talked down to cause they don't know or care a thing about the message (not for them, obviously) that was being delivered! Personally, I loved it and have watched/listened 4 times.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
NXGamer just dropped his video on the PS5.

ya this was a fantastic watch. He essentially agrees with what most devs have been saying. the difference in 3rd parties will be resolutions and since theres about a 15% difference in gpu and targeting 4k it will be hardly noticeable. SSD game changer. Some cases he could see ps5 outperforming xbox

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

edit: Geometry Engine is definitely part of RDNA (see the white paper), so perhaps there's some Sony Sauce in there.

Anex could you go some more into detail about the cache scrubbers if it possible and what it could mean .
Was reading what you and faf were talking about but there was not much detail on how it really works.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Anex could you go some more into detail about the cache scrubbers if it possible and what it could mean .
Was reading what you and faf were talking about but there was not much detail on how it really works.
If you read his post, then you've already read more than I can explain. The idea in general is to prevent cache flushes that can cause pipeline stalls.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I'm completely blind without seeing a benchmark/performance profile and knowing how often they encounter those kinds of flushes. What I can say is that if it was huge low hanging fruit, AMD would have already plucked it themselves.

I agree that if it was huge AMD would have it .
Still with these being close boxes every extra hand helps lol.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lol this guy reminds me of the ps5 story i wrote mocking the guy spreading the conspiracy theory that sony sent out vega devkits to trick journalists. he played a minor role in the explosive ending, but its funny reading it now because it really does look like these insane set of events most probably transpired in real life. i really dont know why reiner, colin and klee would all say ps5 had more tflops.

I like this theory. i think this is how it all went down.

reddit leak comes out in january, confirms 12 tflops anaconda , 4 tflops lockhart and an 8 tflops ps5. sony freaks out. they know MS has them sandwiched or boxed in. Heads roll at sony. Sony CEO kodera and Shawn Layden are fired for creating that fraud of a console. Jim Ryan comes in and gives Cerny two orders. increase the clocks to get to 9 tflops, and send out devkits with a radeon 7 to fool devs.

As cerny struggled to get a 2.0 ghz gpu in a console, Jim's plan to fool devs worked flawlessly as Andrew Reiner and he who shall not be named both got confirmations of a 13 tflops gpu. little did they know they had fallen for Jim's ingenious plan.

Meanwhile, Klee meets his source on a sunny afternoon late June on the sunny beaches of california. the sea was angry that day my friends, but klee got his source drunk enough to get some insider info. Klee's source told him about the monstrous lie. Jim had been playing us all along. there is no double digit rdna tflops, there is no hardware rt, no vrs, and then he cried for betraying him. "I am forced to code on a 9 tflops console that doesnt have hardware ray tracing.", he cried in anguish.

Klee was devastated. His trust now broken. He went back in time to create an era account to mislead Sony fans for months. "I want them to feel what i felt." he said to himself as he methodically leaked false info to era members thirsty for any news from Sony. Some users saw through it all. they soon realized Klee was a fake insider and coordinated a brave resistance. they fought klee on all many fronts. era, twitter, and discord. And then one day through sheer persistence, a miracle happened. They called it Miracle On Icera. On a dark and frigid afternoon in the snowy mountains of Alaska, Klee realized the monster he had become, and banned himself by committing soduku. Viva La resistance.

Cerny seeing everything crashing down around him, is in hiding. You see, he had also lied about hardware rt in the ps5 gpu and now found himself on the cusp of the PS5 announcement with no RT and no double digit tflops to show for. Sony's lies finally caught up to them.

Cerny spent a lot of time in japan and i dont know what you know about japanese culture, but Cerny is an expert. you see, after lying to wired and sony fans for a year, honor and shame finally caught up to Cerny. PS5 Principal Engineer walks into Cerny;s office with tears in his eyes. "Promise me, promise me everything you said about hardware RT in the PS5 was true." he asked Cerny knowing what the answer was going to be. Cerny looks at his watch, as the github leaks flash before his eyes and lies, "I promise."

Cut to black.
Gunshot.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I'm completely blind without seeing a benchmark/performance profile and knowing how often they encounter those kinds of flushes. What I can say is that if it was huge low hanging fruit, AMD would have already plucked it themselves.
Possibly not as it eats up space on-wafer and in a discrete GPU not entirely possible.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

lol this guy reminds me of the ps5 story i wrote mocking the guy spreading the conspiracy theory that sony sent out vega devkits to trick journalists. he played a minor role in the explosive ending, but its funny reading it now because it really does look like these insane set of events most probably transpired in real life. i really dont know why reiner, colin and klee would all say ps5 had more tflops.

While it don't have as many TF as we would hope .
It still interesting to see that Sony went with more custom hardware compare to PS4.
Time will tell if that was right or wrong but i looking forward to games to see the differences even more so with first party .

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
While it don't have as many TF as we would hope .
It still interesting to see that Sony went with more custom hardware compare to PS4.
Time will tell if that was right or wrong but i looking forward to games even more so with first party .
It is really exciting that they went heavier into custom hardware this time versus the PS4. I'm excited to see how it pays off!

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there were some theories that sony keep 36cu for bc, so quite a big dedication for 100 titles ;d
we went another day without a clarification from sony. to me, this is it. they couldnt even get BC right after potentially gimping the gpu just to get BC? this is so hard to believe.

i dont know. i hate to keep sounding alarm bells but all of this is very similar to what happened last gen. ESRAM vs SRAM on the die increasing die size and price and reducing CU count. nand costs biting them in the ass just like that fire that raised ddr3 prices. design decisions aimed at targeting the casual market ended up costing them the power advantage; kinect for MS, $399 casual friendly pricetag for sony. leaving them both with an expensive console that is not as powerful or feature rich as their main competitor.

while MS was touting HDR support for games released as far back as 2001, and native 4k upgrades for xbox one games, even ray tracing patches for their first party games. sony is struggling to prove standard bc for more than a 100 games.

and i dont think its just poor marketing either. seeing as how the github leaks were spot on, i wouldnt be surprised that the bloomberg article was too. maybe sony was caught off guard and now is struggling to respond in literally every way possible.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
And now the Million dollar question.

Is Higher Rez = Better version?

So say the XSX would always run at 10% higher rez than the PS5 and they are both targeting 4K. But the PS5 always can match its framerates, can load in assets faster and has all-round better loading times.

Which ends up being the better version?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
we went another day without a clarification from sony. to me, this is it. they couldnt even get BC right after potentially gimping the gpu just to get BC? this is so hard to believe.

i dont know. i hate to keep sounding alarm bells but all of this is very similar to what happened last gen. ESRAM vs SRAM on the die increasing die size and price and reducing CU count. nand costs biting them in the ass just like that fire that raised ddr3 prices. design decisions aimed at targeting the casual market ended up costing them the power advantage; kinect for MS, $399 casual friendly pricetag for sony. leaving them both with an expensive console that is not as powerful or feature rich as their main competitor.

while MS was touting HDR support for games released as far back as 2001, and native 4k upgrades for xbox one games, even ray tracing patches for their first party games. sony is struggling to prove standard bc for more than a 100 games.

and i dont think its just poor marketing either. seeing as how the github leaks were spot on, i wouldnt be surprised that the bloomberg article was too. maybe sony was caught off guard and now is struggling to respond in literally every way possible.
I feel like this: If Sony stuck with 36CU for BC, worked with AMD for years on it (since 2014 it is known) and has 100 games MAYBE possible for BC at launch, this is the most colossal derp I could possibly imagine. Not just for Mark Cerny, but as well for is AMD collaborators. I see this as just not true. They would have abandoned fucking ship on this thing.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom

So say the XSX would always run at 10% higher rez than the PS5 and they are both targeting 4K. But the PS5 always can match its framerates, can load in assets faster and has all-round better loading times.

This question would make fanboys seethe lol.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
I feel like this: If Sony stuck with 36CU for BC, worked with AMD for years on it (since 2014 it is known) and has 100 games MAYBE possible for BC at launch, this is the most colossal derp I could possibly imagine. Not just for Mark Cerny, but as well for is AMD collaborators. I see this as just not true. They would have abandoned fucking ship on this thing.
They really shouldn't have announced it till after getting some good PS5 press from having a good reveal event, soften the blow.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

I could see it becoming the de facto multiplayer system if you can load into matches faster than anyone else (assuming crossplay).

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
They really shouldn't have announced it till after getting some good PS5 press from having a good reveal event, soften the blow.
I don't think it is accurate. I think the 100 is what has been tested with native clocks. We KNOW there are literally 2 other modes where clocks and hardware are adjusted for BC. I think the vast majority of games played and this is only a PR misunderstanding.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
I don't think it is accurate. I think the 100 is what has been tested with native clocks. We KNOW there are literally 2 other modes where clocks and hardware are adjusted for BC. I think the vast majority of games played and this is only a PR misunderstanding.
If that's the case then they probably should've mentioned that yesterday, poor marketing from the event.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case then they probably should've mentioned that yesterday, poor marketing from the event.
100 times over, yes. I think the message is piss poor. Especially with no clarification today. Of course, I have been known to be wrong, but given what Mark Cerny said during his talk, for me at least, it was crystal clear he was discussing issues with running the old games at native (and variable) clocks.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands

I think that's an interesting question. It's going to be up to personal preference I think.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
100 times over, yes. I think the message is piss poor. Especially with no clarification today. Of course, I have been known to be wrong, but given what Mark Cerny said during his talk, for me at least, it was crystal clear he was discussing issues with running the old games at native (and variable) clocks.
Quick question about these native clocks, are these 100 games targeting resolutions and frame rates higher that whats achievable on the Pro?

Is the Bloodbourne 60fps dream alive?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question about these native clocks, are these 100 games targeting resolutions and frame rates higher that whats achievable on the Pro?

Is the Bloodbourne 60fps dream alive?
Of course all in my mind cannon:

Bloodbourne has a capped frame rate so without a patch, that will never improve. If you use HDMI 2.1 VRR, that may mitigate the frame pacing stutter issue.

Games with variable resolution (Battlefield) and unlocked frame rate modes (Tomb Raider, etc.) will natively benefit.

Every game should benefit from reduced loading times (tossing a coin to my Witcher)

There has been no discussion of any ML enhancements or otherwise (i.e. MS HDR remapping)

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Of course all in my mind cannon:

Bloodbourne has a capped frame rate so without a patch, that will never improve. If you use HDMI 2.1 VRR, that may mitigate the frame pacing stutter issue.

Games with variable resolution (Battlefield) and unlocked frame rate modes (Tomb Raider, etc.) will natively benefit.

There has been no discussion of any ML enhancements or otherwise (i.e. MS HDR remapping)
Ah okay, thanks.

Gonna quickly write From an angry letter.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I think that's an interesting question. It's going to be up to personal preference I think.
It would be nothing if not interesting that's for sure.

I think people are going to be very surprised at the end of the day. Especially when it becomes clear that the only advantage the XSXhasver the PS5 is a slight imperceptible resolution bump.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I could see it becoming the de facto multiplayer system if you can load into matches faster than anyone else (assuming crossplay).

Possibly, although I'd say that depends on how much, if any, difference the dynamic latency input stuff on the XSX makes to input lag. If it's noticeable, then I don't think faster load times will make up for it.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In Sony's mind, they don't need to clarify because they haven't done their actual reveal yet. I'm 90% sure that's what's going on.

Really awful PR so far.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
It seems Cerny and Co's goal is to push the experience forward rather than just pixels. Bespoke 3D audio, haptics, ssd and i/o throughput are very hard things to sell to people; and it takes balls to go for that over the higher numbers.

Would I have liked an extra flop and some 16Gbps RAM chips? Sure.. but even then it's not a case of ~10.3 vs 12.1, the vast difference in clocks will likely tighten the raw compute gap to 5-10% along with more efficient utilization, cache speed and rasterization. The small compromise at the top-end is worth everything else we're getting. My only major point of concern is VRS; although I would be amazed if it isn't in there as it seems to be inherent to the RDNA2 base architecture.

Sony's biggest mistakes here is promoting this GDC-esque talk on their consumer facing channels and doing it before a more generalised reveal. I personally liked the talk but Sony could have placed it better in their schedule and conveyed the nature of it better beforehand.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

I'm glad that the experience around SSG around the SSD of PS5 is being used properly.

KOMACHIWHAT

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
An ultra fast drive like the one in PS5 means you could be load in the highest level LOD asset for your models way further than you could before and make worlds any way you want without worry of it streaming in fast enough. The PS5 drive is so fast I imagine you could load up entire neighborhoods in a city with all of their maps at super high resolution in a blink of an eye. It's exciting. People don't realize that this will also affect visuals in a big way. If we can stream in bigger worlds and stream in the highest detail texture maps available, it will just look so much better.

You can do all of this with a XSX SSD too. The XSX Velocity architecture is built to do exactly this. You use the higher throughput Ram combined with the SSD speeds you can stream a lot. Raw numbers matter obviously but again it depends on a lot on the overall architecture of not only the machine but also the game engines.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
So we are in for another 8 months of secret sauce arguments and threads like we had with the Xbox One before it launched ?

Status
Not open for further replies.