jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
interested what every one thinks of the new Ui now that we have a chance to get out own hands in it.

so far I'm most impressed by how the store is on the menu itself instead of an app.

UI is way better than Launch Ps4 unsure how I stack it against PS3

Last edited:

ComradeYork

Oct 27, 2017
Some ups and downs. I think it's in a much better place than the PS4 was at launch, but more button presses to get to certain options is a bit annoying.

Also not being able to double tap the PS button to get to the previous screen is a bummer.

Absolutely love the Store being built in and the quick access bar is really handy (though they REALLY need to allow us to put Settings on that bar).

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The PS Store being built in is a damn nice feature. The single press on PS Button opening up the sub-menu, while holding the button takes you to home took a bit getting used to, but now I appreciate that sub-menu while in games.

The more I use it, the more I enjoy it and it's really snappy. Just give me folders and colored backgrounds and I'll be happy. The entire UX just feels... premium, if that makes sense?

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
When I first booted it up the PS store was slooow and responding to my inputs like 5 seconds later. Hopefully that doesn't continue, had to restart and then didn't go back to the store.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Some ups and downs. I think it's in a much better place than the PS4 was at launch, but more button presses to get to certain options is a bit annoying.

Also not being able to double tap the PS button to get to the previous screen is a bummer.

Absolutely love the Store being built in and the quick access bar is really handy (though they REALLY need to allow us to put Settings on that bar).

I'm going to copy and paste this and add..."but overall I'm really enjoying it so far."

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird you can't hold the PS button to shutdown your controller or console anymore

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
It's fast and beautiful..all that's missing is the customization. Themes/folders and it'll be perfect. Also some of the one button presses should be reverted. I like hold to bring up the quick menu, not one button press.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It's fast, but I'm not a fan yet. Basically they took what we had on PS4, and swapped it. Now you hold the PS button to go home and hit it once to see options. How they launched without the same apps that were supported on PS4 is beyond me, and the lack of folders is just ridiculous. On the upside, the download speeds so far have been insanely good compared to PS4.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I love how fast it is, but it'll take some getting used to how everything is pretty much all in the quick menu now. Definitely miss being able to double tap the PS button to go between game / home easily. Now you can hold it to go back home but it's not as fluid, and you can't use it that way to go back to the game as far as I can tell. You have to actually go and select the game to open it back up. Overall I like it though, it's really slick and quick to use.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
SPEED.

That's my #1 impression. Everything is so damn fast that it makes me wonder how I played PS4 and Xbox One for so long.

There's definitely room for improvement, but I don't think I've ever been this happy with a day one UI. Anything I'd want changed is just a nitpick or QoL change that I could realistically live without.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The store integration is definitely nice but I dislike just about everything else about it.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Yeah… I'm trying to decide if this is actually annoying or I just need to change my old habit to now pressing the PS button and LEFT on the d-pad to get to Power.

I was annoyed with it last night, but then I realized that CEC lets me just turn off my TV and have the PS5 put itself into rest mode automatically. It's also good to know that I can just go left, as I was trying to go all the way to the right.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like it much, feels like there's quite a few options that are put deeper within menus instead of being easily accessed. Accessing and looking at trophies is just outright bad now, parties are super bizarre with the card having a smaller menu with different options compared to the bigger message group screen. I also had to dive deep to figure out how to get party audio through my headset with game audio through my TV, it used to be a quick option on the PS4 menu but here you have to go into system level sound to toggle it on...even though there's a sound option on the bottom bar, it doesn't have the same option there. Also missing my themes a lot, but with the way the game icons/music work I'm not sure how they'd work. The game library is flooded with garbage I can't remove, like old betas and demos that aren't bootable but appear as a full game icon. There's a ton of stuff that needs ironed out.

I do really like the integrated store, and the pinned screen share stuff is incredibly cool. Speed is nice too of course.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
From my quick impressions on a mates console most of yesterday.

The Good:
- Snappy as fuck - this is lightning fast.
- The store being baked in rather than its own app is massive
- Tiles (depending on the game) are great.
- The in game UI looks so clean.
- Accessibility options and the global gameplay settings are fantastic

The Bad:
- The home screen for installed games looks barren as fuck and it just seems like I have to to do more input to get the same information I was getting on my PS4.
- You can't customise where the in game tiles are ordered at all.
- Further lack of folders or ability to sort library.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
It's really nice for the most part, but I haven't found an easy way to just look at the entire list of trophies for a game outside of:
hitting PS button > selecting "switcher" option > hitting "start" on game > selecting "go to game hub" > scrolling over to trophy list

It's a minor inconvenience, but on PS4 I could just hold the PS button and basically go straight to the games trophy list from that menu.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Looks very nice. Love the entire look of the U.I.

However the software slowed to a crawl and eventually a hard lockup while I was adding those Playstation Plus games to my library. I rebooted the system and the controller prompt didn't appear. Shut down again and rebooted and it was finally working again.

Either really buggy software or possible looming hardware failure. Hoping this was an isolated incident.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Mostly good so far, but one thing I've got to complain about: on PS4, you could fire up a video (on Youtube, Netflix, etc.), turn off your controller, and it would take you right back to your video (like, play it). This doesn't seem to work on PS5; as soon as I turn off the controller it leaves the UI up over the video app which remains paused.

This is a really silly oversight.

turbobutts

Oct 25, 2017
its very very nice looking but needs some work. As expected. I need to hold down the PS button to shut it down or else I'm going to go crazy

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I was annoyed with it last night, but then I realized that CEC lets me just turn off my TV and have the PS5 put itself into rest mode automatically. It's also good to know that I can just go left, as I was trying to go all the way to the right.
…interesting I never thought about using my TV remote to put my PlayStation into rest mode/turn off my TV. One of my biggest annoyances is that it doesn't also turn off the TV when I go into rest mode.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Activities >> its overall very snappy feels fresh. Store is great. Fast downloads.no real complaints.

also the app integrations are great. Like being able to launch a game from the app and download notifications

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's amazingly fast, been a user since PS3 so I find it jarring how there's now effect to holding home now.

Oct 27, 2017
Overall I like it.

Is there an easier way that I am missing to see your online friends other than hitting the PS button, scrolling over to Game Base, hitting options and the opening game base...?

Also kinda wish it didn't open on the explore tab but themes might change that later on.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
it's great in that it is so familiar coming from the PS4 but yea there's little nuances that needa be cleaned up

specifically in regards to PS4 vs PS5 versions of games dling etc

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I like it a lot, it's missing some features that will come eventually, but it looks and feels wayyyy better than the Series X one in my opinion. I like it better than the PS4 one as well outside of no folders and themes. Not holding down the button to get to shutoff is weird and I thought shit was broken the first time.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Man not having themes makes me sad. I always enjoyed those on my PS4. Especially the one with beautiful music.

Oct 25, 2017
I like it. It's gonna take some time to get use to. I miss the double tap back to the home screen. Holding the PS button to go home is kind of ghetto.

Still gotta play around with stuff tho. Weirdly, I miss the PS4 UI but I suspect this to change when I master it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's fast and beautiful..all that's missing is the customization. Themes/folders and it'll be perfect. Also some of the one button presses should be reverted. I like hold to bring up the quick menu, not one button press.
Every PlayStation gen... we have to wait years for folders! It's annoying. PS3 introduced them half way through the gen then PS4... no folders until half way through the gen again! I just hope we don't have to wait until half way through this gen too.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I... kind of hate navigating it so far. Everything seems so counter intuitive to how the PS4 UI functioned. The Party UI in particular is just horrible. And don't get me started on the friends list; that's even worse.