• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Screen_Shot_2020-09-16_at_7.08.21_PM.png

So yeah, while the USB-A port on the front will carry data, it is inherently slower than the others. Though it's not a huge deal since there are two full-speed USB-A ports on the back anyway. I figured this deserved a separate thread since there was some questions on how many of each kind of USB port there were on the PS5. Some arcade stick makers will probably include a USB-C-to-C cable for the sake of convenience, with Victrix having already teased that they're doing just that (see below).

But for those who are using their old PS4 sticks, you shouldn't have any shortage of ports to use if you're okay with using the back ports. And even though the front port isn't full-speed, I doubt any existing PS4 stick actually uses said speed.

Source: PlayStation Blog

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a silly question (and the wrong thread), but do we have any indication that external USB hard drives from a PS4 can easily just be plugged into one of these USB-A?

Also, nice to have many!

Bakura

Oct 26, 2017
Good now I can charge my headphones, my phone, dualsense AND have a plugged hdd/sdd

this is really great

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Probably a silly question (and the wrong thread), but do we have any indication that external USB hard drives from a PS4 can easily just be plugged into one of these USB-A?

Also, nice to have many!
I'd imagine that you can plug them into one of the full-speed USB-A ports on the back or the USB-C port on the front.

Agni

Banned
Jun 10, 2020
I read through that blog. All that information and still nothing on controller limits. How many controllers can be used with the PS5? Is there a way to send them this question?

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Do y'all remeber that thread about the front USB being solely for charging stuff? Good times.
That was me going off of the USB labeling standards. I guess Sony uses that to signify USB 2.0 (weird, but whatever). But even if that was true, there were still 2 USB-A ports on the back with 10Gbps, so no biggie.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm gonna have to think of how to set up my PS5 to have easy access to those ports in the back... it's gonna be weird for FG tournaments.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm gonna have to think of how to set up my PS5 to have easy access to those ports in the back... it's gonna be weird for FG tournaments.
Seems like Victrix is just including both A & C cables in the box going forward, so that could side-step the problem for future sticks. But yeah, gonna have to make those back ports accessible for those without a USB-C cable.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Seems like Victrix is just including both A & C cables in the box going forward, so that could side-step the problem for future sticks. But yeah, gonna have to make those back ports accessible for those without a USB-C cable.
I'm not a fan, plugging anything on the back ports of a PS4/Pro is a nightmare while facing the front of the console because it's hard to tell which slot if the USB one by feel, so if your console is set in a way that makes it hard to look at the back, well... fuck.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm not a fan, plugging anything on the back ports of a PS4/Pro is a nightmare while facing the front of the console because it's hard to tell which slot if the USB one by feel, so if your console is set in a way that makes it hard to look at the back, well... fuck.
I may have to just stand up the PS5s at locals once the pandemic is over & I can run locals again.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, hearing that PS5 has essentially 4 USB ports is some of the best news from today. That's great. The front USB-A being 2.0 really limits what it can be used for, though. Basically just wireless headsets?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Full 10Gbps should help with external SSDs.

edit: oh wait, didn't realize there were two revisions after this one (20 and 40Gbps).

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I thought hi speed USB referred to standard USB 3.0 (or 3.1/3.2 Gen 1). I refuse to believe that the front port is USB 2.0 and not 3.0.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
How many ports were people expecting? 8? 12?

4 is enough for an external SSD or HDD, PSVR, Dual Sense and a headset.

Were people expecting to charge their main phone and trap phone on this thing?

USB 2.0 is more concerning.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think the I/O is ok, considering what the Series X/S is offering.
Another USB-C would be nice as it is clearly the connector for the future.
The front USB A is fine for fighting sticks or wheels but could be annoying if someone wants to connect a drive to it.

Sony will give out adapters for free.

Really?
That's unexpected but nice as I own one.

Last edited:

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
So 4 USB ports, one of them being USB 2.0 is strange, but I guess you can charge the controller, or whatever that may need power. The others will be useful for external storage, or whatever device that needs the high speed of USB 3.1