• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
cover2.jpg

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I will buy my 500$ new console because few Indies with pixaleted graphic style , side scroller blew my mind.said no one ever.

Sony has its sight on correct area for first 2 years to sell consoles to hardcore gamers .

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
If it sells for 499$(or less) Sony doesn't have to worry at all,just focus on pumping great AAA games

PS3 failed in first few years because there was a 310$ loss per console(sold for 499$). Also Sony didnt have PS Plus which make billions of $ now

Last edited:

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Neat thread

But yeah the PS5 ain't selling as well as the PS4. PS4 brought in the casuals while the PS5 will be more for the enthusiasts. Which is great news for me tbh

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I will say I have a weird feeling about Sony going into the PS5 next gen.

And yes I'm aware they haven't even shown it off yet.

Just cuz PS4 was a massive success doesn't mean the PS5 will be. Every gen is different.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
On the other hand, 46% of gamers belong to the "time filler" and "cloud gamer" category. The time filler plays a game only when he or she has to kill time, while the cloud gamer inclines toward streaming services and doesn't believe in spending a ton on hardware.

err, where did he got percentage for cloud gamer? I think PS Now is the only streaming service available at the moment

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Nah they'll be fine lol.

I will say they really do need to investing more in their cloud tech though since the shit is not going away but judging the recent deal with MS, they are already working on that.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Well, it's an opinion.

That being said, I somehow doubt Sony will stop pouring marketing dollars on EA and ActiBlizzard to make sure the ads for latest FIFA and CoD game will end with a PlayStation logo.

Sony is gonna make exclusives focused on the hardcore gamers invested in Sony's franchises, and back compatible will make this easier than ever.

Microsoft and Nintendo are taking a more scattershot approach, with Microsoft especially putting way more eggs in the software profits basket, since they are implicitly courting PC gamers such as myself to give them money for their software- be it full-priced games to own on Steam, or those sweet subscription dollars via GamePass.

I mean, both strategies have merit; I feel it's safe to say Sony will probably sell more boxes in Winter of 2020-2021;
The real question is, though, which gaming division will post higher profits.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Cant wait to quote this article when the ps5 is effectively sold out for its first six months on sale (like the ps4 was, a system also targeting "hardcore" gamers.)

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The only Playstation console targeted to a broader audience was PS3 with all the multimedia features on it, and that didnt worked out too well. PS4 was already targeted at gamers only. As long as the price is not "hardcore" and with BC from the start it will sell like hot cakes.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I took it as CNN for a second there. Just another opinion on the internet. I do think Sony has their work cut for them. MS flip-flopping with the X1 launch helped them a lot. Pretty sure it's not going to happen this time.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I don't know why we keep making new console generations. According to articles like this, every new console has never sold and has always bankrupted it's company.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
In the US perhaps/maybe. PS is a worldwide recognized brand heavily associated with casual/hardcore gaming. The article is a clickbait and nowhere has Sony explicitly said they are turning back on indies.

PS
Still ove articles who talk competition moving to cloud gaming but always fail to mention Sony are the ones with an up and running service as of now. :D

i concur. I am in singapore. There's no way in the seven hells that you can convince us southeast asians to subscribe to an online service to stream games....

it's one thing to stream tv and movies via netflix. For gaming, fat chance man...

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Sony is definitely going to fail catering to the demographic that deeply invests in gaming. That makes total sense. The exact same thing happened with PS4 and that was a complete flop.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I could only see this happening if the pricing is absurd. Once you factor in the profits and players of mobile games, pretty much any console approach will seem "wrong".

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Next Gen game streaming is DOA in US because it uses so much more bandwidth than Netflix or Hulu. Rural US has crap internet speeds and the big cities tend to have ISP monopolies with data caps. I sure want to use up all my data cap to play one single game like Assassin Creed Odyssey and even then I couldn't even finish the game because after 60 hours I'd have 0 internet left. My only wonderful choices for internet are either a super slow near DSL level internet with a data cap or Xfinity up to 1 gbit also with a data cap.....

PS5 will still be very relevant, but if it launches at $600, it will be more of a slow burner like PS3.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, here we go again with shitposting articles about Playstation before start of new gen.
Like a fucking clockwork.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Before opening the topic I guessed Forbes contributor article.

Somehow this seems even less of a credible outlet.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
"For example, only 9% of the gamers are hardware enthusiast who will keep up with the latest machines, while 13% belong to the "ultimate gamer" category that spends all of their money on games."

... ya that's still millions and millions of people.