• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 is about to become the 4th home console of all time to surpass 100M units in sales and is on pace to become the 2nd best selling home console of all time by Christmas 2020

I think their strategy of targeting the "hardcore gamer" works

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Said the person that never produced, launched and supported 4 very successful home consoles and 1 handheld.......

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No offence Neat but that op-ed is exceptionally low quality. It only takes 2 minutes of research to produce the original quotes from Kenichiro Yoshida from IR Day. The first thing to consider is Kenichiro is talking to investors.

Kenichiro Yoshida: "As we speak, we provide, as I said, the immersive business and experience is something we would like to continue to place importance on. If you look at the game industry as a whole, the console market is not a major market, rather it's a niche market if you will. But for core gamers, immersive experiences are something we would like to value. In this respect, for the time being, the console as something that brings about computing functionality to the users is very important, but on the other hand, technology will progress and so as I said today, the Remote Play and PlayStation Now, the streaming services will be worked on in parallel, that is what we are doing at this moment."

There are some 2 billion gamers worldwide by most estimates. "Niche" and "hardcore" are words employed by Sony to place the current dedicated home console market in context, relative to the much larger mobile gaming market. Someone who is willing to spend upwards of $400 on a dedicated gaming device to experience blockbuster games.

Sony see high value in this market and will continue to place significant focus on immersive AAA experiences. At the same time, Yoshida spoke about the evolution of gaming and providing multiple options for users (Disc, Digital, Streaming). He spoke about Sony's partnership with Microsoft and taking their cloud streaming plans to the next level. Sony will also continue to advance and promote Virtual Reality because they view it important to the future.

Yet this author (like others before him) forgets who Yoshida is talking to, misconstrues "niche" and "hardcore" as meaning PS5 might come with a $800 price tag, and erases all mention of Sony's cloud streaming talk in order to make it appear Microsoft (and Nintendo) are the only platforms interested in catering to a wider audience.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it worked this gen. The blue ocean doesn't exist anymore, no one is going to expand the gaming audience because it's already everyone. Targeting "hardcore gamers" is probably the best strategy sense they're the ones that people will go to, to decide their next console purchase.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I doubt the PS5 will do what the PS4 has done just because I'm sure Microsoft will pull back in some of what they lost to Sony to begin with but lol at this shit. People that have a current PS4 that have invested in a library of games are likely to move on to a PS5 at some point because of the easy transfer. People talking about Gamepass being the Sony killer, if that was true wouldn't Xbox be outselling Playstation at this point month to month? Gamepass is great but not everyone cares about it.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So 2 examples? Thats all you have? Or are you conveniently ignoring how I said "unless they fuck up big time".

Sony created so many successful exclusives this gen and that will serve them well moving forward with sequels. Not to mention they're committed to the same strategy they adopted going forward for next gen.

Also despite the PS3 having a rough start, they managed to catch up the 360 at the end of last gen. Yes they can fuck up as I acknowledged, but that is something as I said is highly unlikely.
It always looks "nigh impossible" for the king to be toppled until he is. I'm not saying I think it's going to happen, or that it's likely, but we haven't even seen the console, or its price point, or its specs yet, so saying because Sony was successful this generation they will be next generation is a premise without a foundation. Nintendo was at the top of the game, then they weren't. Microsoft was at the top of the game, then they weren't. Hell, SONY were at the top of their game, then they weren't. Why make baseless predictions?

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't we wait for the launch window line up before saying these things... Also hopefully Sony does not price this too high and shoot themselves in the foot.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I have 2 questions.
1. I feel like I always see these doom and gloom kinds of articles about Sony or Nintendo but never Microsoft? Do I just miss them?
2. For those saying the PS5 won't sell as well as the PS4, why do you think so?

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
It always looks "nigh impossible" for the king to be toppled until he is. I'm not saying I think it's going to happen, or that it's likely, but we haven't even seen the console, or its price point, or its specs yet, so saying because Sony was successful this generation they will be next generation is a premise without a foundation. Nintendo was at the top of the game, then they weren't. Microsoft was at the top of the game, then they weren't. Hell, SONY were at the top of their game, then they weren't. Why make baseless predictions?

Outside of the Wii being the sales surprise it was, Playstation has been at the top literally the entire time Sony has been in the market. Hell even the PS3 eventually caught up to the 360 and passed it. No king rules forever and blah blah but unless Sony commits the most heinous of fuck ups I just don't see them falling out of the top "home' console. The only thing that I think could cause an imbalance is Gamepass and so far it hasn't but if it does they will just make their own anyway.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft: we're going to release the most powerful (read: expensive) console ever with Scarlett!
Media: wow Microsoft is going to dominate and recapture hardcore gamers!

Sony: The PS5 will rival or exceed what the Scarlett is doing and will be backed by our continued 1st party output.
Also the media: Sony is doomed if they put out a premium gaming product! Too niche.
Perfect.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
"Hardcore Gamer" isn't really a niche audience, but I do think there's a point to be made here. Microsoft's trying to stretch Xbox beyond the box with that name, while Sony seems to be staying with the traditional model of having a very closed-off ecosystem central to the console itself, that I don't think will be the way gaming's gonna move forward.
The way gaming's going is subscriptions from nearly every publisher. People will have to pay several subscriptions to play all the games that they want.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Not even if they fuck up more than anyone has ever fucked up in this industry will a home console called Playstation be DOA, but I do think that in the long term, 5-10 years, they could be very poorly positioned if they don't rethink their strategy now.

Oct 31, 2017
giphy.gif

It's like 2012 and 2013 all over again. 🤣 PS4's massive success taught these fools nothing.

Edit: Also calling a PlayStation console DOA is the most idiotic thing ever considering that the worst selling one still managed to sell 90 million units despite launching at $599 and a year later than the competition. Any other console brand would have been DOA with those fuck ups but the PS brand is too strong and massive to die like that.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The author is right. If the PS5 isn't a mobile phone that heavily caters to the casual market, they might as well kiss their business goodbye. They should also cancel all single player titles immediately and begin producing several battle royale, auto chess and moba titles to capitalize on the popularity shown by titles such as League of Legends and Teamfight Tactics. Because as we all know, the best way to be successful is to flood successful markets to point of over-saturation and the inevitable long term success that comes with trying to satiate audiences that are already satisfied. /s

I do hope the ps5 is not 500 dollars though because I won't buy in as quickly as I did with the ps4.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
The way gaming's going is subscriptions from nearly every publisher. People will have to pay several subscriptions to play all the games that they want.
It's funny cause now in the television space that is happening now and people are now starting to realize it's getting really expensive and that we may end up circling back to the bundle ala cable packages.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
That strategy is most of why the PS4 took off initially
Thing is, it's not 2013 anymore. The market and consumers expectations today are vastly different from back then, not to mention the blessing of MS' initial screw up (which, conceptually, seems like something people would be ok with these days, just an example of how different things are today).

You're all in for a surprise if you think Sony is going to easily win again next gen using the same tactics.

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would think that's exactly the market segment that buys game consoles at launch prices with a limited selection of games? And then when you have established a solid base and have a bigger library and you start shifting focus to the general audience.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

It's like 2012 and 2013 all over again. 🤣 PS4's massive success taught these fools nothing. Also calling a PlayStation console DOA I the most idiotic thing ever considering that the worst selling one still managed to sell 90 million units despite launching at $599 and a year later than the competition. Any other console brand would have been DOA with those fuck ups but the PS brand is too strong and massive to die like that.
Imagine hearing this from 2000 before PS2 came out.
I remember a couple articles back then.

Jul 26, 2018
I really miss the days where all the discussion was about having killer apps. The core of gaming is, indeed, games. Whoever has the killer apps will own the core, and by killer apps I don't mean hardcore games but good games for whoever the public target is. The rest, such as having better hardware, online, and gaming experience in general is a second order factor. It matters, but it's not the main thing.

Sony is well prepared to earn the heart of whatever public it targets because it has a good track record with exclusive games. So, if we want to give this article at least some credit, the take away is that focusing on a narrow market will leave room for other companies to grow outside the hardcore niche. It's not that Sony will losing the war for the hardcore gamer, the peril is that other companies could grow in other segments (e.g. cloud) that also generate revenues, and so Sony would lose some relative weight in the industry overall.

I think this is the hypothetical analysis of why Sony should, in opinion of the writer, try a more comprehensive strategy.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Thing is, it's not 2013 anymore. The market and consumers expectations today are vastly different from back then, not to mention the blessing of MS' initial screw up (which, conceptually, seems like something people would be ok with these days, just an example of how different things are today).

You're all in for a surprise if you think Sony is going to easily win again next gen.
Thing is, Sony knows how to sell consoles better than anyone. For 25 freakin years now.

End of this gen, highest selling consoles of all-time will be:

1. PS2
2. PS4
3. PS1
4. Wii
5. PS3

But yeah, let's keep underestimating them with these articles.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thats nonsense, gearing it towards the audience that spends more money in gaming is a proven and tested model, and the right choice.

Oct 31, 2017
Imagine hearing this from 2000 before PS2 came out.
I remember a couple articles back then.
I remember too. Sony was supposed to be in "big trouble" back then too because MS was coming into the console space and the Dreamcast was already "too successful". This shit never changes, they are just repeating the same old articles for clicks.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at past consoles, a Sony Playstation iteration has a 75% chance of selling over 100m units. Even Sony's "failed" console was the second best-selling console of its generation. Most recently Sony focused on gamers with the PS4 and it sold gangbusters, is about to pass 100m... this op-ed is a piping hot take of stupidity. Microsoft can't deliver the same kind of quality first-party games and Nintendo can't get third-party AAA hits. The PS5 is also not going to be $800.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
There is no way the Ps5 is dead on arrival. The brand is too powerful to fail in the gaming space. They could release a box with specs inferior to other products on the market with less launch games for $200 more and it would still sell way more than its competitors, especially in some European countries.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017

You're all in for a surprise if you think Sony is going to easily win again next gen.
I'm don't want to ignite consoles wars of any kind however lets look at it from a realistic point of view. As long as Sony prices the PS5 correctly then they will probably outsell whatever Xbox has. Historically Microsoft has never been able to keep up with Sony in the long haul and can only compete with Sony in 2 markets in Europe & NA while Sony has dominance everywhere else. It's a fact that there are more people out there with PS4's and in turn more games for PS4. With backwards compatibility people will be enticed to get a PS5 so their games will carry over. People keep bringing up games pass and streaming. Game pass doesn't sell consoles and streaming is an unproven in comparison to buying physical and digital copies of games. Then there is the exclusive games that sell consoles issue that Microsoft has been dealing with for the last 3 generations as someone has previously mentioned.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Obviously not. Playstation home consoles sell. That's always the truth.

I dont think hardcore gamer strategy is a good however and from the specs alone.. it sounds it wont be cheap. Not expecting PS4 numbers if that is true.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

You're all in for a surprise if you think Sony is going to easily win again next gen using the same tactics.

How is the market different ?
Because of game pass and streaming , what are these new consumers expectations that we see increase sales ?
This like people saying consoles dead because of mobile .
Plus everything thing new that coming up Sony has a hand in like VR , streaming etc etc .