• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
But... wasn't this already their strategy for the PS4?
This. LOL
Are we back in 2013 again with this media coverage? LOL

Microsoft: we're going to release the most powerful (read: expensive) console ever with Scarlett!
Media: wow Microsoft is going to dominate and recapture hardcore gamers!

Sony: The PS5 will rival or exceed what the Scarlett is doing and will be backed by our continued 1st party output.
Also the media: Sony is doomed if they put out a premium gaming product! Too niche.
Summed it up perfectly, lol.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't every launch hardcore?

Sony will romp home again.

Just to play devils advocate, wasn't there some talk that Xbox is actually getting more popular with younger kids than PlayStation so the tables may swing more towards Xbox, at least more than it's ever been. I don't know why Xbox would be getting more popular in that regard, online, Minecraft?

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
This is like the worst hot take. No way is PS5 dead on arrival. The giant world wide user base of the PS4 and full PS4 backwards compatibilty means that the PS5 will do massive numbers no matter what, even if Xbox takes some people back that switched this gen. The only thing that will make the PS5 DOA is price. If the the PS5 launches at a $100 or more than the competition then it will matter, but even $100 price difference wont effect things too much. Anything more than that thought would be a massive mistake on Sony's part.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
It always looks "nigh impossible" for the king to be toppled until he is. I'm not saying I think it's going to happen, or that it's likely, but we haven't even seen the console, or its price point, or its specs yet, so saying because Sony was successful this generation they will be next generation is a premise without a foundation. Nintendo was at the top of the game, then they weren't. Microsoft was at the top of the game, then they weren't. Hell, SONY were at the top of their game, then they weren't. Why make baseless predictions?

Its really not hard to understand. The premise is based on the success and momentum of the PS5. Thus this isn't a baseless prediction . In fact its the most likely outcome that they'll be just fine at the start of next gen.

We don't know the specs however we certainly know the biggest games will be sequels to current gen exclusives. That and backwards compatibility are huge bonuses to owning a PS4. Most people who buy a PS5 won't care much about specs. At least I certainly don't. I only care about the games they are gonna offer since current gen games already look amazing to begin with.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I expect both PS5 and Scarlett to be $499, possibly $449. I too jumped a bit on that "niche" comment, but of course PS5 won't be DOA. Sony's been focusing on games to please their core audience this entire generation and it's clearly been working well. Next gen might be a tighter race (for everyone's sake I hope it will), if Microsoft play their cards right. PS5 will probably still have more exclusive games, though.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
The main risk I see to Sony is them being arrogant and not giving full compatibility to PS4 and an easy transference to PS4 PSN purchases

Seriously. I have a solid digital library, moreso now than the end / start of last gen. That's why it was an easy move from 360 > PS4 for me. If Sony say to me 'sure, you get your existing library day 1 on PS5 at no extra cost', then it makes it really hard for me and a hell of a lot of their install base to move

Other than that, lol at this article

Sony would be under a heavy delusion if it thinks it's time to return to arrogant Sony. Despite the success they've achieved this gen, they will need to work hard to keep up with / win next generation. So long-running user requested features like BC should be high on their list as major competitive advantages.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Still, PS5 gonna be just fine, though I would certainly not be surprised if it doesn't reach PS4 numbers with what looks to be more Xbox competition, DEFINITELY more Nintendo competition, plus constant PC growth and all the streaming services.
Yeah it's a whole different scenario going forward, Nintendo has learned a lesson from WiiU, MS has learned a lesson from XB1, it's not like we can use previous generations as examples on how nextgen will end.
And as always, everybody forgets about Google Stadia. I think it will become huge, at least in europe where fast internet and no data caps aren't just fantasies. Essentially getting a free always up to date 1080p console just by having a Chromecast is nuts. Casual and mainstream gamers will definitely look at that before they open their wallets to buy a new $500 plastic box with a life span of 3-7 years. And people always forget that Nintendo is still finishing this generation first, off sync, we actually have no idea what so ever about their nextgen plans.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Who do they think is buying the PS5?

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are all pursuing differentiated marketing strategies these days. None of them is "worse" than another.

Mar 11, 2019
What the hell is it lately with all those op-eds that are super positive about Microsoft's future and super negative about Sony's future? I swear it's like Microsoft has put forth some sort of major media bribery campaign in place to swerve the public opinion in their favor. It can't just be coincidence.

There are many of such articles that shed an overly positive light on Xbox compared to Sony, with claims of a miracle turn around next gen where Xbox suddenly would be dominating the market share. While in reality with current developments it would rather imo be more plausible that Sony would even further extend their lead compared to current gen.

The author of the current article also made an article headed "Xbox Two Could Thrash Sony PS5 in the Next Round of the Console Wars ". I dont know if ccn is any reputable news source because with such headlines they are only making themselves look ridiculous. Not sure if its bribery or just simply clickbaiting. If its clickbaiting they have succeeded since it has received plenty of attention.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
How anyone thinks Xbox One won't carry 360's momentum into next gen is beyond me unless Microsoft fucks up big time which given how they've already confirmed BC and are working on improving their streaming service seems nigh impossible. Lol

The Microsoft downplay is ridiculous

How anyone thinks Wii U won't carry Wii's momentum into next gen is beyond me unless Nintendo fucks up big time which given how they've already confirmed BC and are working on improving their streaming service seems nigh impossible. Lol

The Nintendo downplay is ridiculous
Ahem…..

Microsoft focused hard on a casual consumer oriented peripheral called Kinect for their last 3 years to the detriment of their first-party lineup, which fed into the design of their next-gen machine and more. Wii U was perceived as a Wii add-on to the market that made up most of the base who had supported Nintendo's console efforts for the few years before that, and their lineup of first-party games for the hardcore came through in dribs and drabs. Terrible messaging for both.

Sony has made it clear what their focus is, and what kind of device the PS5 will be, and how they plan to support long-term service models like cloud streaming. How you think these 2 situations are remotely comparable to what position Sony is in going into the next generation, I don't know. What kind of messaging do you think Sony would have to push to make people second guess what their product provides and whether it's good or not? The fact that their use of the words "niche" and "hardcore" directed at investors are being miscontrued by armchair business analysts?

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This whole idea of Sony focusing on hardcore gamers is a misnomer. Since the birth of PlayStation they've always had the broadest church and spend their money to reflect that.
When PS5 is shown you'll see AAA games, indies and cloud services shown.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
nfw2fi0.gif

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It's not hard to understand that at the beginning of the generation most avid and hardcore gamers want to jump on. Hence Focus on them with the best machine and targeted communication. Then the rest of the herd follows when the price is more convenient etc.
I dont see how this strategy is different to one with PS4. It worked as the execution was good. It will work again unless people will have massive change of heart and will want to switch sides like they did abandoning xbox after quite successful and good x360

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
What the hell is it lately with all those op-eds that are super positive about Microsoft's future and super negative about Sony's future? I swear it's like Microsoft has put forth some sort of major media bribery campaign in place to swerve the public opinion in their favor. It can't just be coincidence.
When Microsoft is struggling we always get tons of articles about how they are poised to come back hard. When Sony struggled once they were supposedly doomed to exit the industry at least for making hardware. This is from big media, not fanboys btw because fanboys on both sides say the competition is doomed.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I happen to think Microsoft's plan is playing right into Sony's hands. As games become more available across many different platforms and cross-play becomes more of a thing, the deciding factor will become even more about the shrinking amount of must-have exclusives available to each console. Currently, Sony is light years ahead in that regard. If I'm a consumer that needs Fortnite or Call of Duty and knows I can get that on either console and still play with my friends, what is the deciding factor? For me, it's Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War, Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn...

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
On the other hand, 46% of gamers belong to the "time filler" and "cloud gamer" category.

Time filler makes sense, but what about this huge number including cloud gamer? Is this like a phantom menace, where all these hidden cloud gamers will suddenly rise and take over? Maybe they are bringing an ISP from the future that will dominate and revolutionize internet services worldwide. Hardcore gamers beware, Sony won't save you this time!

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The way gaming's going is subscriptions from nearly every publisher. People will have to pay several subscriptions to play all the games that they want.
It's about ecosystems and services. Which would be the way for another party to enter the gaming market without the momentum from a long line of consoles, something we're seeing from Stadia. Microsoft's on the way to migrating Xbox from a platform to a broad ecosystem, and I dunno what Sony's doing because they've been quiet.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a bunch of hyperbole.

That said, PS5 absolutely needs to be $500 or less, ideally $400-449 though.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why it is so hard to grasp for the journo. Sony needs to launch with a hardware that's competitive for many years. That hardware will have to be expensive in 2020, there is no way around this. So it is absolutely the right choice to focus on 'hardcore gamers' IN THE BEGINNING. That's EXACTLY what they did with PS4. The winner of the early phase will have its customers spread the word that the console is good. The mainstream will follow where their buddys already are once the console gwts cheaper.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Sony has made it clear what their focus is, and what kind of device the PS5 will be, and how they plan to support long-term service models like cloud streaming. How you think these 2 situations are remotely comparable to what position Sony is in going into the next generation, I don't know. What kind of messaging do you think Sony would have to push to make people second guess what their product provides and whether it's good or not?
dims

Listen, if I had to bet, I'd probably put money on Playstation being the lead console next gen too. I was only saying that the industry is pretty fluid and there are a lot of variables to success and market domination, particularly as technology evolves or changes. You made excellent points as to the specific failures of the Wii U and the One, failures (like the above) that Sony is unlikely to make. But we didn't know MS and Nintendo were going to make those mistakes until they made them, so until we see the product and what it offers, we can't really say it's "nigh impossible" for them to fail.

We don't know the specs however we certainly know the biggest games will be sequels to current gen exclusives. That and backwards compatibility are huge bonuses to owning a PS4. Most people who buy a PS5 won't care much about specs. At least I certainly don't. I only care about the games they are gonna offer since current gen games already look amazing to begin with.

The Xbox 360 had probably the bigger current gen exclusives from a general standpoint than the Playstation 3 did with sequels coming out on the Xbox One, and Xbox has also been much more thorough and consistent with its backwards compatibility and still, despite these points, managed to make mistakes that severely hindered them in the next generation. I don't think Sony will, but it's not some impossible scenario.

(Also, I own all 3 consoles, have the most allegiance to Nintendo as a company, have the most friends on the Xbox, and play primarily on the Playstation, just in case people think I'm shilling or anti-Sony - not sure if that's how it's coming across).

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Dead on arrival" is an absolutely stupid way of phrasing it, but neither do I think the PS5 is a guaranteed hit on the same scale as the PS4 either. The PS4's launch, price and messaging were all so sublime compared to Microsoft, in a way I think will be hard to recreate again.

Long term, I believe it honestly depends on whether streaming services to take off - Will 'the mainstream' be prepared to drop big money on a brand new box, when the price of entry could technically be nothing more than a subscription fee?
Convenience and price has beat quality in both music and film after all. Most of us here demand "perfection", can streaming provide "good enough" for most though?

Either way, I know I'm amongst thousands who are happy enough to put the money on a monster box, and I just want it bigger and better. The PS5 will be ace.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does the author think that casual gamers are the ones who predominantly buy a $500 console at launch? Presumably he also fails to realise that Sony focusing on the hardcore doesn't mean they won't still have indie and AA support. If anything I'd put my money on the PS5 getting more AA and indie games than their biggest competitor. Perhaps not first party wise, but potentially third party, as is the case today. Then there's cloud gaming which Sony has already been supporting for years now, and will continue to support and improve, and that broadens demographics to beyond just PS console gamers.

It really is like 2012/2013 all over again.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna post here saying PS5 is going to be super successful.

A new gen is a new gen.

Having said that, some things are different than before. Mainly, the massive rise of digital distribution and the heavy investment into a consoles ecosystem.
In this aspect, Sony definitely has a leg up. You have 110 million consoles out there vs your competitor who has 50 million probably by the time next gen comes?

Plus, Sony has made a ton of new and successful AAA IP's that will entice people to stick with PS5 to be able to see the sequel. GOW, Horizon, Days Gone, Tsushima, Spiderman, Death Stranding, next ND game, and possibly Bloodborne 2 and I think there is even another AAA studio being created as well. These games are no slouches. They'll move consoles.

If you love these games, you gotta think ahead. If you go with next xbox, you ain't playing these games.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
dims

Listen, if I had to bet, I'd probably put money on Playstation being the lead console next gen too. I was only saying that the industry is pretty fluid and there are a lot of variables to success and market domination, particularly as technology evolves or changes. You made excellent points as to the specific failures of the Wii U and the One, failures (like the above) that Sony is unlikely to make. But we didn't know MS and Nintendo were going to make those mistakes until they made them, so until we see the product and what it offers, we can't really say it's "nigh impossible" for them to fail.

The Xbox 360 had probably the bigger current gen exclusives from a general standpoint than the Playstation 3 did with sequels coming out on the Xbox One, and Xbox has also been much more thorough and consistent with its backwards compatibility and still, despite these points, managed to make mistakes that severely hindered them in the next generation. I don't think Sony will, but it's not some impossible scenario.

(Also, I own all 3 consoles, have the most allegiance to Nintendo as a company, have the most friends on the Xbox, and play primarily on the Playstation, just in case people think I'm shilling or anti-Sony - not sure if that's how it's coming across).

Definitely not impossible but considering they're just gonna do what they did this gen while improving their streaming, and VR platforms, I can't see them making the same mistake MS did in 2013. They've already made it clear their strategy is nothing like what MS was doing at the start of this gen so they'll be fine. Worse case scenario is what the PS3 did

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
This clickbait editorials really need to be banned at some point. Feels they just say something so Incredibly stupid for clicks

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
If cloud gaming really takes off the way Google is betting, Sony will be in the most trouble. Microsoft has Windows and a superior IT infrastructure to fall back on, and Nintendo has its loyal fanbase that will always buy their unique hardware. I can foresee a future of Sony going the way of Sega in a worst case scenario for them.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
46% belong to the cloud gamer? Do we even have any cloud services running?
Why is the media always hellbent on downing on Sony right before a console is out? Reminds me of last time with the PS4.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Even if appealing to 'hardcore gamers' is a bad idea for maximum profit, it still allows Sony to have a significant chunk of the market. And it's a very satisfying strategy as a consumer.

I don't want to play Minecraft, CoD, Madden, and Fortnite on a yearly basis. The idea of that is so boring at this point in my life. I want to play games like TLOU, MHW, Nioh, and Resident Evil. If Microsoft and Google want their 2 billion Fortnite players, they can have that audience. I don't care how much it makes them in profits. I'm not interested in their bottom line, I'm interested in enjoying my game experience.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
If cloud gaming really takes off the way Google is betting, Sony will be in the most trouble. Microsoft has Windows and a superior IT infrastructure to fall back on, and Nintendo has its loyal fanbase that will always buy their unique hardware. I can foresee a future of Sony going the way of Sega in a worst case scenario for them.

Lmao

plow

Oct 28, 2017

Shit is getting lame.

As of today Sony is the only competitor with a working Cloud Service. They are further expending by working with Microsoft and their Azure systems.

So why do people insist on this narrative that Sony is not prepared for Cloud gaming?