• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when the Xbox One decided not to focus on Hardcore Gaming? I do and look where it got it.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fine if you think Sony will maintain the lead, but so tired of all these 'They do it on purpose for the clicks!' takes.

There are intelligent, reasonable arguments that can be made for why Microsoft's focus and infrastructure could more line up with where gaming is going than the PlayStation.
The title of the article is 100% written like that to bring in clicks. 100%.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
I know a lot of people in this thread are all "CCN ololol", but I think it's actually an interesting thought experiment to think about whether Sony can continue its momentum. Just because Sony is in the lead right now, doesn't mean they're going to maintain that lead next gen; the leader has flipped in every gen so far. Sony was the leader in the PS2 era, then it was the Xbox 360, then the PS4, and honestly now the Switch is taking off like a rocket. Most customers don't have huge brand loyalty to one box over another, especially when most of the market is playing multiplatform games like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed.

A big reason why the PS4 succeeded at the beginning of the gen was because the alternative (Microsoft) was completely tone deaf and not focused on gamers. Microsoft today is very different from Microsoft 7 years ago, and I'm convinced they're going to bring the heat next gen. They proved they can make a fantastic console with the Xbox One X, they've been ahead of the curve on backwards compatibility and cross-play and subscription gaming, and they're definitely going to be better than Sony at streaming given their cloud infrastructure. I think it would be silly to write off Xbox just because Sony is currently in the lead.

Another thing to mention is that while Sony has a lock on epic, narrative-driven exclusives (God of War, The Last of Us, etc.), Microsoft is much stronger in the multiplayer arena (Halo, Gears of War, Forza). If they can build out their stable with a handful of truly compelling multiplayer offerings (Sea of Thieves, Bleeding Edge, etc.) then the massive chunk of the market that plays multiplayer games could be swayed towards the Xbox.

- The Switch's success won't hinder PS5 success. If anything it's the Switch I'm worried about. What will happen when all the attention of dev and players shift to the "next-generation" ? What will happen when the technical gap between this next-generation and the Switch become even greater than it is now ? What will happen if the Switch Lite completely overtake the OG model and people start to consider the Switch as a pure handheld ? Don't forget the PS4 still sold the best of all the consoles in 2018, despite people wrongly thinking the Switch would take over. Sony would need a big fuck up to lose their momentum.

- The Xbox brand must recover from an uphill situation. The 360 didn't sold twice as much as the PS3. The Xbox One must recover from a shit situation and the power of the Xbox brand clearly didn't help that much, like it did for the PS3. I doubt streaming and backward compability will make it up for it. Speaking real about their bad situation isn't writing them off, it's just being realistic.

- The brand loyalty for Playstation is strong. I'd even argue it's the brand loyalty that saved the PS3 from the flop. It could have been much worse. Playstation is one of the most powerful brand and one of the most well known name in the tech-industry.

It's the third most well-known brand in the UK for example. https://www.prophet.com/relevantbrands-2018/united-kingdom/top-10/#PlayStation

Sony, as a whole, is the second company japanese are the most proud of. Nintendo being seventh, as a comparison. https://japantoday.com/category/national/companies-japanese-people-are-most-proud-of

- Multiplayer from first-party doesn't matter that much anymore. Third party multiplayers are where it's at in terms of sales, impact and number of players. (Rocket League, Fortnite, Fifa, Overwatch, COD...).

- It's foolish to consider games like Sea of Thieves and Bleeding Edge to have a real impact on the market. Games like those aren't king makers.

I'm not that interested in the PS5 that much, I'm more a Switch Lite kind of guy (won't lie), but let's be honest and tell it how it is : unless something BIG happen, the PS5 is on the path to be a massive success, probably even bigger than the PS4.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
I agree that streaming will probably be far more popular than dedicated hardware in the next 5-10 years.
That doesn't mean that going after the hardcore isn't the right strategy for Sony. They can't hope to compete with Microsoft, Google and Amazon in cloud computing, but they can probably squeeze another moderately successful hardware cycle.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I don't plan on buying and I know this is so ridiculously far from reality. Hell the PS3 launch fiasco barely phased them. I'm real sick of hyperbolic guess work.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
They were the leader in 2/3 gens with MS, and arguably the reason they won this gen was because MS was cocky and tone deaf. I think next gen is going to be a different story.

Listen, if I had to put money on it I would bet on PS5. What I'm saying though is that Sony will really have to bring its A game to win. All this talk about "look at all the current PS4" users doesn't mean much when you have to get everyone to buy a new box. MS could very realistically release an amazing system, build up word of mouth, and eventually emerge as the dominant platform.

Why would MS emerge as the dominant platform when they could not when Sony fuck up .
Look at it this way Sony fuck up and sold more consoles by the end of that gen .
MS fuck up and is going get out sold by Sony 3 to 1 this gen .
If both bring there A game Sony will sell more since they have WW the question is only how much .

Last edited:

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Always funny when someone says 360 was leader for its gen. Worldwide sales says otherwise and ps3 either tied or outsold it so it may even have ended up last place.

Sony will continue to dominate with PS5 - it's more a question of how much its marketshare will change if any.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
They were the leader in 2/3 gens with MS, and arguably the reason they won this gen was because MS was cocky and tone deaf. I think next gen is going to be a different story.

Listen, if I had to put money on it I would bet on PS5. What I'm saying though is that Sony will really have to bring its A game to win. All this talk about "look at all the current PS4" users doesn't mean much when you have to get everyone to buy a new box. MS could very realistically release an amazing system, build up word of mouth, and eventually emerge as the dominant platform.

it's posts like this that make it appropriate to drop a reminder that Sony made every mistake one could possibly make with the PS3- drastically more expensive box, a year late to market, far inferior online infrastructure, a high profile security breach, less third party support, worse looking multiplatform titles across the board despite the higher price point-

and still outsold the 360 every single year the two were on the market as well as overall.

There was never a scenario where it was possible for microsoft to "Win" this gen even if they hadn't messed up with Kinect. We'd only be haggling over the margin in the US.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
kqswufgm

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
it's posts like this that make it appropriate to drop a reminder that Sony made every mistake one could possibly make with the PS3- drastically more expensive box, a year late to market, far inferior online infrastructure, a high profile security breach, less third party support, worse looking multiplatform titles across the board despite the higher price point-

and still outsold the 360 every single year the two were on the market as well as overall.

There was never a scenario where it was possible for microsoft to "Win" this gen even if they hadn't messed up with Kinect. We'd only be haggling over the margin in the US.
People underestimate the mistakes made by Sony and how it recovered at the end of the Ps3 generation. It was ABSOLUTELY WORSE than any mistake made by Microsoft with the Xbox One.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always funny when someone says 360 was leader for its gen. Worldwide sales says otherwise and ps3 either tied or outsold it so it may even have ended up last place.

Sony will continue to dominate with PS5 - it's more a question of how much its marketshare will change if any.

To be fair, it literally took Don Mattrick ordering the Xbox division to shift almost entirely to Kinect, with the exception of their big three in Gears, Halo, and Forza, and for Sony to step their exclusive game up by 10 and not charge for online multi.

Sony will absolutely sell the most plastic boxes, but Microsoft is going to do better with ROI and getting more of their software in more households, since their strategy isn't tied to how well their proprietary box sells.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, it literally took Don Mattrick ordering the Xbox division to shift almost entirely to Kinect, with the exception of their big three in Gears, Halo, and Forza, and for Sony to step their exclusive game up by 10 and not charge for online multi.

Sony will absolutely sell the most plastic boxes, but Microsoft is going to do better with ROI and getting more of their software in more households, since their strategy isn't tied to how well their proprietary box sells.

What? Those are literally nothing compared to the mistakes Sony made that gen. And all signs point to Sony dominating again with PSN next gen.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You do know Kinect allowed MS to have one of its best years for consoles sold. It actually helped keep them near even with PS3 at the end.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God...the next generation talks on consoles sales is going to fucking suck in a whole new way.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Never Forget:

6. Brand Loyalty
00231.jpg

One of the most impressive things about Microsoft to me is that, as a games company rather than a software giant, they have amassed an enormous amount of loyalty from their customers. The Xbox 360 has always boasted a far more committed and vocal fanbase than the PS3 - likely in part because of the inclusive nature of Xbox Live - and as such, this is likely to cause many to shell out extra for the Xbox One even in spite of some of their questionable PR choices so far. The Bradley effect is likely to take place in the coming months; many instantly swore off the Xbox One after the initial announcements, though as the release date begins to draw closer, it's likely that some will return to the tried and tested waters of Microsoft rather than take a chance on Sony's new PSN and so on.

3. PS4 Is A Games Console, Not An Entertainment Hub
00216.jpg

Games consoles are increasingly becoming entertainment hubs, which goes a long way to explain the early popularity of the Xbox 360, which prided itself on delivering a wealth of diverse content over Xbox Live, such as TV, movies and so on. In fact, 40% of Xbox 360 activity was reportedly non-gaming. The PS3 was slow to warm to the idea, and never managed to operate in as smooth and slick a manner as the 360, largely due to the more challenging layout of PSN. The PS4 launch blew the Xbox One away, though made it very clear that the console is aimed largely at core gamers. While this is music to the ears of folk like myself, research suggests that casual gamers are swayed by the wealth of ancillary options available on a console, and as such, they might find themselves more at home with the Xbox One, which is going to offer a glut of media options that Sony don't seem so fussed about.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's only targeting hardcore in relation to the PS4.

With a new console you start off going after hardcore at a high price and then you slowly move down the market to chase casuals as the price drops.

Pretty simple.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
"Hardcore gamers" = console and game pc owners

Actual casual gamers = cellphone owners that play games, regularly or eventually

That's such a dumb take and covert puff piece for stuff like Stadia in disguise. Most people across the globe don't have the type of internet that can viably support people adhering in mass. Gaming is one of the most profitable industries among entertainment, arguably the biggest. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will be fine. Casuals will join for things like Spider-Man, Avengers, etc, or they won't. Those with heaven sent connection speed enough will play Stadia, but it's simply not a viable option at this period of time, and it won't be an option in the next ten years.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's a whole different scenario going forward, Nintendo has learned a lesson from WiiU, MS has learned a lesson from XB1, it's not like we can use previous generations as examples on how nextgen will end.
And as always, everybody forgets about Google Stadia. I think it will become huge, at least in europe where fast internet and no data caps aren't just fantasies. Essentially getting a free always up to date 1080p console just by having a Chromecast is nuts. Casual and mainstream gamers will definitely look at that before they open their wallets to buy a new $500 plastic box with a life span of 3-7 years. And people always forget that Nintendo is still finishing this generation first, off sync, we actually have no idea what so ever about their nextgen plans.
Wait, you think that Switch will outsell PS4 in the end? I have a bridge I would like to sell to you.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Calling bollocks right there. Sony got a huge base that would rack them millions and millions of consoles sold and they aren't even gamers to begin with

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Also another thing to consider is that while Sony might be stronger than MS in international console gaming, MS is stronger than Sony in international PC gaming, mainly because Sony doesn't play in that space. Many of MS's acquisitions are PC-centric developers (e.g., Obsidian) and their strategy will almost certainly be to target PC gamers abroad and console gamers in NA/EU. You have to look at console + PC when assessing MS's success or failure next gen.

Obviously they're not selling boxes to PC gamers, but they will be selling Game Pass subscriptions, games, DLC, and all those other profit-generating goodies. Obviously they will have competition from platforms like Steam and Epic, but their addressable market is probably larger than Sony's.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Call me crazy but I Feel like we had a similar set of articles coming out of american media outlets at the start of the last gen. I especially remember Polygon at the time going absolutely insane against the PS in favor of Xbox. Maybe this par for the course.

Most of these speculations matter little at this moment anyways. We don't know al ot of the key pieces of information right now, such as the price of PS5. Once we know them we can speculate better

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Conversely I believe Sony doubling down is the only thing they CAN do. Microsoft's play anything, anywhere, with anyone approach is probably going to be what the future looks like for most people, but they're able to do that because at their core they're an operating system company with huge reach and span. Sony on the other hand doesn't have that privilege, and the PlayStation brand means something very different within their portfolio. I don't think it'll pay off the same way Microsoft's approach will, but if they do it right I don't think it'll be a loss, and it'll keep them from having to fight a battle they most likely can not win.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Question: Are there any articles like this from 2000/2001 before the OG Xbox released?

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
The PS3 was $599 dollars and a year late to market but still managed to match the 360 in sales. The PS5 would literally have to be killing people for it to sell less than the 87 million the PS3 sold. Playstation brand loyalty is a real thing outside the USA.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

Man, these hot takes.

Also another thing to consider is that while Sony might be stronger than MS in international console gaming, MS is stronger than Sony in international PC gaming, mainly because Sony doesn't play in that space. Many of MS's acquisitions are PC-centric developers (e.g., Obsidian) and their strategy will almost certainly be to target PC gamers abroad and console gamers in NA/EU. You have to look at console + PC when assessing MS's success or failure next gen.

Obviously they're not selling boxes to PC gamers, but they will be selling Game Pass subscriptions, games, DLC, and all those other profit-generating goodies. Obviously they will have competition from platforms like Steam and Epic, but their addressable market is probably larger than Sony's.

They still have a lot to prove in that game as well, Although recent moves have put them in a more positive light with them having gamepass, new xbox pc experience and putting their games on steam.

Conversely I believe Sony doubling down is the only thing they CAN do. Microsoft's play anything, anywhere, with anyone approach is probably going to be what the future looks like for most people, but they're able to do that because at their core they're an operating system company with huge reach and span. Sony on the other hand doesn't have that privilege, and the PlayStation brand means something very different within their portfolio. I don't think it'll pay off the same way Microsoft's approach will, but if they do it right I don't think it'll be a loss, and it'll keep them from having to fight a battle they most likely can not win.

Though I agree in the play on any device arena Sony comes up really short, let's not forget who has more brand relevance. XBox is still trying to turn the division around and that will take time still to develop high level new IP's to service their services.

Sony is at such a high bar right now it's just business as usual for them at this point. Nintendo doesn't offer the same expierences as Sony, they do their own thing. Microsoft is at this weird point where they have made a checklist of things that needed to be corrected but still adhere to the overall company goals.
Which in my opinion could go either way. But the big difference is Playstations brand is now synonymous with high quality game of the year exclusives that are on the same high bar as Nintendo.

While xbox has been a mixed bag most of this entire gen with Forza being the one thing they seem to make really well on a continuous basis.
I mean look at the most anticipated games for 2019/2020 a lot of them first party, and others like FF7:R have exclusive branding deals with PlayStation.

Last edited:

Stillmatic

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This is what writers were saying leading up to current gen launch. Well this and 'no one is interested in consoles anymore cos mobile'.

Then Sony announced a gaming focused PS4 and never looked back. 😏

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
If i were SONY i wouldnt even released the ps5, i would cancel everything now , cut loses and get out of the gaming industry altogether. I have read some really nonsense articles here but this one takes it to a whole new level. No more God of War? oh well. it was time for me to part ways with gaming anyways.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
Perhaps it's a reflection of the efforts that the Xbox brand has been making to appear more consumer friendly

Or maybe it's a conspiracy like you said
I don't think it is, the last go around was quite surprising at how so many in the gaming media were all good with "secret sauce" for the xbox, how DRM was also in the PS4, how always online was great, and how you can't even tell the difference between resolutions unless you had 55 inch+ screens.

Even when MS was being anti consumer the gaming media went to bat for them.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
'On the other hand, 46% of gamers belong to the "time filler" and "cloud gamer" category. '

Why are they grouping these two together?
That's a huge logical jump to assume that these "time filler" gamers, who likely just play COD & Fifa, or F2P games on their phone, will actually pay a monthly subscription to play games.

Also, how are these analysts not taking into account the fact sony has the only currently working games streaming service and have signed a deal with MS to upgrade their server tech.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree It's important to look at the whole picture which is the revenue of each gaming division. Right now it's PS 2:1. From what I can google PSN generates 4-5 times the revenue of Steam. Next gen may be different but PSN is on fire now.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not Sony's target demo anymore and likely won't be getting a PS5 but I think it's gonna sell like crazy.