• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The PlayStation line has consistently been some of the best selling hardware on the market ever since it came into being.
The PS3 launch is the only time they really foundered a bit imo, and even that ship righted itself over the course of the generation.

While not impossible, it would take a HUGE fuck up by Sony for the PS5 to actually fail in any meaningful way.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see what's wrong with the hardcore focus at launch strategy.

Casuals aren't going to spend more than $200-300 on a console.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
$449 PS5 release. PS5 will sell like hotcakes. Didn't we have the same doom and gloom with the PS4 before they released the full information? Ignore those financials guys.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
The PlayStation line has consistently been some of the best selling hardware on the market ever since it came into being.
The PS3 launch is the only time they really foundered a bit imo, and even that ship righted itself over the course of the generation.

While not impossible, it would take a HUGE fuck up by Sony for the PS5 to actually fail in any meaningful way.
When competition -needs- to hit every note, and you -need- to fuck up big time AND sell at a higher price... just to eventually still remain on top at the end... It says a lot about the brand's strength among consumers.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Lol did anyone look at the author's newest article titled "Nintendo Switch Lite Is the Antidote We Need to Sony's Naked Cash-Grab"

This guy is going all in on the bullshit. Apparently the PS5 is a cash grab now.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like one of those articles we'll look back on and laugh at. Sony has made their money in satisfying the hardcore gaming crowd, I'm not sure why that just suddenly changes. Also they aren't ignoring the cloud either, they just signed a big partnership with Microsoft afterall... and have their PS Now stuff.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
tenor.gif

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation is too big to lose. I can't see them making the kind of fuck up that would be needed for them to sink.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
beginning of gen: omgzzz, poor sonies!

new gen kicks off: *sony dominates* DON'T READ TOO MUCH INTO IT!

mid-gen: *sony dominates cont* errr... BUT IT HAZ NOES GAMEZZ????

end of gen & run up to new gen: omgzzz, pray for sonies in the upcoming gen plez!!!

rinse and repeat. LOL

Vexed

Jul 23, 2018
Don't think most people are reading the link, the article's big premise is "catering to hardcore games = charging $800". It's more of a response to that Pachter prediction than the WSJ article too.

I don't think that predicting an $800 launch as DOA is really that crazy.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Don't think most people are reading the link, the article's big premise is "catering to hardcore games = charging $800". It's more of a response to that Pachter prediction than the WSJ article too.

I don't think that predicting an $800 launch as DOA is really that crazy.

Well that's a strawman, why would anyone even discuss an $800 console? Everyone with an ounce of sense can tell that would be a stupid idea and not even worth entertaining the thought.

If that's really the premise of the article then it's even more stupid than I thought, and yes I didn't read the article, based off the author's already stupid title.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup even the PS2 had these articles. Publications were saying they'd lose their dominance.​

This quote alone is fantastic in hindsight:

"Sony is also under the mistaken impression that including the ability to play DVD movies is a huge selling point. But true technophiles and hardcore gamers probably already have DVD drives. I'm a good case in point. I already own a Sony DVD player, so I could not care less if the $299 PS2 can play movies. I'd rather pay less and get a machine that just plays games instead."​

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 will absolutely not be DOA, but I think if Microsoft delivers on the games, their strategy of getting the Xbox ecosystem into pretty much any screen/box imaginable is going to pay off big time.

Might be, but won't matter much if they don't deliver with the exclusives.

Vexed

Jul 23, 2018
Well that's a strawman, why would anyone even discuss an $800 console? Everyone with an ounce of sense can tell that would be a stupid idea and not even worth entertaining the thought.

If that's really the premise of the article then it's even more stupid than I thought, and yes I didn't read the article, based off the author's already stupid title.

Yeah I mean it's the first line of the article. This is literally the entire intro section of the article before the break:

"Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter recently painted a wild price tag on Sony's next-generation PlayStation 5 console. He said that the Japanese giant could price the successor to the PlayStation 4 at a whopping $800.
Such crazy pricing could kill Sony's next PlayStation. But the company has dropped a hint that it could be heading that way."

Agree it's kind of a bad article title. OP isn't really doing it any favors though by framing it as a response to the WSJ article (it literally just includes an embedded Tweet of a link to it, if you read the article it's definitely responding to Pachter) and not pulling the first line.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
This quote alone is fantastic in hindsight:

"Sony is also under the mistaken impression that including the ability to play DVD movies is a huge selling point. But true technophiles and hardcore gamers probably already have DVD drives. I'm a good case in point. I already own a Sony DVD player, so I could not care less if the $299 PS2 can play movies. I'd rather pay less and get a machine that just plays games instead."​
Yeah and this one is the only one I remembered off the top of my head but there were lots similar to this saying PlayStation's reign was over and it was all based off of emotional speculation rather than logical speculation.

It was either they wouldn't compete with the Dreamcast or later that Nintendo and Microsoft would wipe the floor with them. I wouldn't say that was widespread but it was a narrative circulating around.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah and this one is the only one I remembered off the top of my head but there were lots similar to this saying PlayStation's reign was over and it was all based off of emotional speculation rather than logical speculation.

It was either they wouldn't compete with the Dreamcast or later that Nintendo and Microsoft would wipe the floor with them. I wouldn't say that was widespread but it was a narrative circulating around.

The thing with speculation is that there are many competing ideas about how things will progress.

It's funny to look back on terrible predictions, but I remember a lot of hype when the PS2 was revealed (as well as all the PS3 zany stuff from E3 2005).

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Sony going to focus on getting only AAA games on PS5, and leaving AA and Indies in the dust to seem like the place to be for a premium experience.

Or did they say specifically to target hardcore gamers, the kind that spend a lot of money on games whether it's hardware, editions, and/or micro transactions.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I truly wish the gaming industry would fucking stop with the premise that if one company doesn't do something they will die out and be doomed. This is the premise that people gave Nintendo for almost 20 years and they are still alive. I think that's good that Sony is doing what Xbox has been doing and kind-of failed. But succeed. They will be okay and so will Xbox and Nintendo and the PC market. So damn tired of this all.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
You can almost set your watch to the Playstation line being successful (not necessarily profitable) in every generation. They're basically unrivaled in parts of the EU and Asia, and do well everywhere else. Microsoft only goes toe to toe with them in North America and a select other parts, but can't seem to get a foothold in Japan, and Nintendo's success is generally a coin flip, but when they're hot they're on fire.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So silly. I mean, who knows what the future holds, but this happens every generation. There were so many people saying that consoles were dead this gen and that Sony was wrong to be so traditional for their console. Look what happened.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at basing your article on Pachter quote of $800 machine. And Pachter said it in response to a question that said "Lets get wild with the prediction for a minute".

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
The article is barely worth a thread, imo, but a surprising number of you gladly took the bait. I'll add those responses to our future crow menu. :)

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, you think that Switch will outsell PS4 in the end? I have a bridge I would like to sell to you.
I don't think I talked about that....
I just said that Nintendo is still doing their thing with Switch, people seem to assume that Nintendo will try to have Switch compete with PS5 next gen or assumes that their next console will be weaker than PS5. But the reality is that we actually have no idea what so ever what they're doing next generation. The only thing they've talked about is how they plan to rewrite the rules on how you design controllers.