• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Sony feels like they can overcome the odds with PS4 selling so well, and can take a chance by catering to a minority group of gamers with a high price tag. I think the concerns are real, if that's what they're gonna try to do... especially with Stadia in the mix.

Only the dedicated enthusiasts who are big fans of the brand will be on board from the go, and there are big concerns about the new leadership of Sony with things like censorship etc. that might put off those on the fence, and casuals are not going to willingly fork over in excess of $500.

Oldhand

Oct 28, 2017
Thats not the case now. It was then. You get like one or two exclusives per year now, and sony's exclusives we have to admit target much of the same audience. They make story driven cinematic singleplayer games. The audience overlaps. Consoles now share nearly all of their games, its not like how it was in the 90's.

Every sale chart is filled 90 or 100% with third party games now. People buy a console to play Fifa, Madden, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed. Thats the bulk of the audience. Thats not to say exclusives are worthless, they're not. But i do not stand by the idea that they're the ones selling consoles and i dont agree with their overblown importance we give them on forums

If I get time, I will try and find the various posts in the Sales topics that proved (using stats etc) that exclusives do matter. IIRC Welfare was behind much of that.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This is wrong and that has been shown time and time again. The Switch is pretty much selling on the back of exclusives alone.

And it doesn't matter if a single exclusive game only sells to 10% of the userbase as there are several.

Gran Turismo appeals to a different audience than Ratchet and Clank or God of War or Bloodborne or Spider-Man or TLoU or Dreams or Persona 5. That's why it's important to have a broad variety of high quality exclusives. You want to appeal to as many people as possible.

yep

wargames-1.jpg

Each bomb might only destroy one city, but overall Europe is fucked.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
399 in 2013 is 475 in 2020.so 499 in 2020 is basically same as 399 in 2013.there is a thing called inflation and present / future value of the money.

Every generation American media has to do this .don't know why.

I can't wait to Read their next article after 1 year ps5 has launched." Ps5 broke sale records but don't read too much into it" haha

Like clock work.
Doesn't matter. Electronics are supposed to get cheaper in real dollars and with inflation factored in.

Plus it's psychological.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's pretty safe to say that unless something drastic happens PlayStation will always be in front worldwide. At the very least in terms of system sales.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
I think price has something to do with this and it also means they will go for the well known games at launch and the first year after release. So we won't see any playlink or buzz games at launch (Ofcourse it can, but doubt it) They will focus mainly on exclusives too. Rumors about a 1 month GTA6 exclusivity and stuff like this aren't coming out of nowhere there must be atleast some true form in it.
We don't know much about the PS5 launch line-up, but something says to me that the first 3 months will be packed with Triple A games and even the launch might have some surprises for us.

Questions remains if the price tag will be high and or higher then the xbox how long will they wait with a price drop? Sony must know by now with their PS3 experience that it doesn't go well when it it's around the 600 and 500. BUT if xbox is going to cost 500 too then there is not much going to happen for Sony.

Radical_Ed

Nov 1, 2017
399 in 2013 is 475 in 2020.so 499 in 2020 is basically same as 399 in 2013.there is a thing called inflation and present / future value of the money.

Every generation American media has to do this .don't know why.

I can't wait to Read their next article after 1 year ps5 has launched." Ps5 broke sale records but don't read too much into it" haha

Like clock work.
Well, we still have a long year until arrival. There is plenty of time for The Verge to deliver.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Why even bother making a thread about this?

The writer of the article is either incredibly uninformed, or just trying to generate clicks. Either way, it's not worth discussing.

Jan 20, 2019
Doesn't matter. Electronics are supposed to get cheaper in real dollars and with inflation factored in.

Plus it's psychological.

You have to compare to other electroincs on the market.

Curren the base phones are being sold at 700$ with the lower end selling around 500$.

500$ is nothing compare to the current market, whitch as been increacing year on year.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
The PS4 was and is a success because Sony quadruple downed on the hardcore gamer this generation. Whereas Microsoft chased cable tv and fitness technology and Nintendo, I don't know what they did with the Wii U.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Plus it's psychological.
Which electronics have gotten cheaper ? Every thing has gone up in price. Phones were 400 dollars few years ago and now they r 1000 dollars.tabs ,laptops etc..all have gone up in price over the years . I think u live in another dimension or something if around u electronics have gone down in price over the years

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
PS1: 102.49 million
PS2: 155 million
PS3: 87.4 million
PS4: 96.8 million and counting

Nobody else in the game has this level of consistency. Sony fucked up hard with the PS3 at launch, and yet still managed to bounce back and outsell the 360 by the end of the generation. Nobody's catching them next gen, at least as far as units sold are concerned. All of these articles suggesting doom and gloom for PlayStation based on literally nothing are ridiculous.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Nobody else in the game has this level of consistency. Sony fucked up hard with the PS3 at launch, and yet still managed to bounce back and outsell the 360 by the end of the generation. Nobody's catching them next gen, at least as far as units sold are concerned. All of these articles suggesting doom and gloom for PlayStation based on literally nothing are ridiculous.

If I'm not mistaking, PS4 is way past 100 million by now.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation 5 Will Be Dead on Arrival with Sony's 'Hardcore Gamer' Strategy
...because they are targeting people like me?
These "hardcore" gamers are the ones that actually go out to buy these consoles at launch, not the casuals. They usually follow afterwards.

This is all clickbait anyway.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think most people are reading the link, the article's big premise is "catering to hardcore games = charging $800". It's more of a response to that Pachter prediction than the WSJ article too.

I don't think that predicting an $800 launch as DOA is really that crazy.
Yeah $800 console is insane. Either company charging $800 dollars is too insane to even entertain tho. I think most here would agree with that.

The article is dismissing what some Sony exec said about learning hard lessons from the PS3 years. If the article writer is going to talk about about $800, talk about interviews Sony execs had.

Its an insane premise.

Well that's a strawman, why would anyone even discuss an $800 console? Everyone with an ounce of sense can tell that would be a stupid idea and not even worth entertaining the thought.

If that's really the premise of the article then it's even more stupid than I thought, and yes I didn't read the article, based off the author's already stupid title.
Exactly.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
* Monk... I need a Monk! *

PS5 will do as good or better than PS4.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I think 499 dollars its the limit, but it all depends on their line up, if its strong people will go any way.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019

This should be sticked or put in the OP.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Sony never said hardcore. Other sites used that phrase themselves. Now other sites are using that as the base for opinion pieces. Sigh.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Sony just said they're focusing on AAA. That's it. I'm not worried about their ability to be successful in the console space. If they over price they can autocorrect and still make up ground. They have a million great IPs.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Promotion of indies is not going anywhere.They will be on Sony keynotes, they will be promoted on PlayStation social platforms, they will have easy way to publish games on PS5, etc.

It's only that the large marketing campaigns such as TV commercials and console bundles will [AGAIN, like with PS4] be focused on larger games.

And how many indie games were pushed extra hard by MS and Sony this gen [TV commercials and bundles]? The largest push was given to No Man's Sky.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem

Exactly this. Sony has that consistency which didn't exsist before them in the industry. If we get a Nintendo and microsoft chart you will see how different and weird it will look compared to that of Playstation. If we add the years they got released it in you will even see more consistency in Sony then in any other hardware company.

Oct 27, 2017
Given that the PS4 launched with a marketing campaign that stressed its hardcore gamer focus and it was consequently one of, if not the, best selling console in history, I really struggle to sympathise with the article's argument.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Exactly this. Sony has that consistency which didn't exsist before them in the industry. If we get a Nintendo and microsoft chart you will see how different and weird it will look compared to that of Playstation. If we add the years they got released it in you will even see more consistency in Sony then in any other hardware company.

I'll make a small charts for comparison, when I get back from work.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we need new threads for every silly reality-bending hottake blog post? Because if we do, I could fire up a Wordpress installation and start generating them right now.

Oct 31, 2017
Given what Jim Ryan said about wanting to get first adopters straight away for B/c and also price I think he actually said they where going to try and market ps5 at 399.

Oct 31, 2017
I also think that's why they will be last to launch possibly 2021 so they can achieve this with price of chips being cheaper then.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
So the only factual metric we have if a flawed argument? And instead i should take peoples words on it that exclusives make or break a console just because they're very adamant about it?

Call of Duty sells 30 million units. Each year. Fifa probably the same. Battlefield maybe 20 million. Other than Spiderman, God of War and Uncharted theres no exclusive that sells in relevant manner.

If you look at all the games that came out so far in 2019. Devil May Cry, Division 2, Resident Evil, Sekiro, Far Cry, Anthem, and will come out, Wolfenstein, Control, and so on. Thats why people buy a console. To play the hundreds of games that come out for it, not less than 10 worthwhile games in a whole fucking generation. Thats some serious brand loyalty to actually think a handful of games from Sony weight so much that people flock in the hundred of millions to buy one.

PS4 had literally nothing for more than two years and was selling like crazy and outmatching xbox more than 2 to 1. Why? There were no exclusives worth playing. Because of this insane brand loyalty and corporate reverence Sony enjoys and because microsoft botched the reveal and was a console with poorer performance
This has to be a new meme or something.

It's one thing to think this, but to then write this down and share it with the world? This is some monumental level of wrong.