• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
No console is DOA anymore, they always sell out in the first 3 months of launch. Even Xbone did.

That said, Playstation is way too big a brand. If it ever dies it will be a slow death not a quick one.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Focusing on hardcore gamers is probably why PS4 was the most successful platform this gen. lol

They're going to spend the most on software, and act as the tastemakers for consoles that helps establish who has the edge once the price drops enough for general consumers.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only way the ps5 is dead on arrival is if it's 599 again. Focusing on quality exclusives while also being affordable is what made the PS4 so successful. They need to not forget the latter point
PS1: 102.49 million
PS2: 155 million
PS3: 87.4 million
PS4: 96.8 million and counting

Nobody else in the game has this level of consistency. Sony fucked up hard with the PS3 at launch, and yet still managed to bounce back and outsell the 360 by the end of the generation. Nobody's catching them next gen, at least as far as units sold are concerned. All of these articles suggesting doom and gloom for PlayStation based on literally nothing are ridiculous.

What's bonkers about the ps4 is its done those numbers without ever being properly price reduced. I still think Sony could sell another 30 - 50 million if they could it down to a mass market $99 price. Heck even $150 might do the trick around the PS5 launch just like they did with the ps2.

Last edited:

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
As soon as they show Horizon 2 running on PS5 they will crush sales. Going to be amazing and everyone will want to play it.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
All they have to do is continue making amazing exclusives and make sure the console has a fast, accessible interface. It still boggles my mind that the One X dashboard is still laggy as fuck and I kind of hate using it

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Europe is in the pocket for Sony it has always been. Except some scandinavian countries who think they're special.
Arab countries most of the time also for Sony
Japan... Better not talk about this
America does what it wants and when it wants so not sure what will happen here next-gen
Latin Countries mostly in favour of Sony
Africa content not sure how the market is here in general, but North African countries are in favour of Sony
Asian markets in Favour of Sony... not sure about India.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Europe is in the pocket for Sony it has always been. Except some scandinavian countries who think they're special.
Arab countries most of the time also for Sony
Japan... Better not talk about this
America does what it wants and when it wants so not sure what will happen here next-gen
Latin Countries mostly in favour of Sony
Africa content not sure how the market is here in general, but North African countries are in favour of Sony
Asian markets in Favour of Sony... not sure about India.
I think it's more like this:

Japan and Asia: Nintendo >> Sony >>>>> MS
Europe: Nintendo > Sony >> MS
US: Nintendo > MS >> Sony
Rest of the World: Sony >> Nintendo >>>> MS

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018

Don't lump in Asia with Japan. Nintendo doesn't even have a proper presence in most Asian countries.

And Europe is much for Sony than Nintendo.

And Us is more for Sony than MS.

...Actually you've got it all wrong to be honest

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

Your Asia is wrong. Nintendo don't even have official distribution and support in most of Asia...I'm from Singapore. Nintendo doesn't have a localized eShop here and just direct us to use the US eShop....(all games in USD no less)

Also, most of Europe and Asia play FIFA. Guess which platform they play it on?

Get out of your Nintendo shell once in a while, yeah?

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Don't lump in Asia with Japan. Nintendo doesn't even have a proper presence in most Asian countries.

And Europe is much for Sony than Nintendo.

And Us is more for Sony than MS.

...Actually you've got it all wrong to be honest
Afaik consoles don't do much in Asia outside Japan. Mostly mobile gamers etc. Big presence in Japan means more than rest of the Asia. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nintendo has all the big markets from Europe in the bag. Germany and France at least. How's UK? Honest question, don't know about hw situation there. Spain is all Sony and little bit Nintendo, but it's a small market.

MS and Sony are basically tied in the US even with the terrible start that Xbox One had, so I am thinking it'll probably shift more towards MS next gen.

Just my take on this, not trying to start a console war.

Jun 4, 2019
A sticky niche audience is often preferable to a flippant casual one. Hardcore players have higher attach rates, spend more money in game, and will basically market the console for free to their casual friends. Also, you think PS4 wasn't geared towards the hardcore?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Dear console manufacturers: Don't ever count on mainstream audience unless you're absolutely sure that you have another Wii on your hands.

This ''there're more mainstream people than hardcore people therefore focusing on mainstream people will make us more money'' thinking is fucking stupid and shallow.

How could you ever attract and interest those mainstream gamers if you didn't bring the hardcore audience in at the first place?

Why is PS4 a success? Because it got the ''gamers'' from the very first day, and then it makes even more great exclusive games for said gamers, to the point where even Xbox supporters feel like they really have to at least own a PS4 so they wouldn't miss out on the best games of the generation.

Without the hardcore fans, there wouldn't be nearly as much noises and hype surrounding your stuff, not just games but sports as well.
You really think most people gives a shit about football? No, but they still watch Superbowl as if they do, because there's an atmosphere surrounding the culture, atmosphere that came from the hardcore fans.

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bwahaha, do I have to post a pic of my consoles? I have Xbox One X, PS4 Pro and Switch. So yeah, that Nintendo shell and all that shit.

There's no need to try to put people in to boxes based on their opinions.
Then Don't state ur option as facts .what you typed is factually wrong .

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Afaik consoles don't do much in Asia outside Japan. Mostly mobile gamers etc. Big presence in Japan means more than rest of the Asia. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nintendo has all the big markets from Europe in the bag. Germany and France at least. How's UK? Honest question, don't know about hw situation there. Spain is all Sony and little bit Nintendo, but it's a small market.

MS and Sony are basically tied in the US even with the terrible start that Xbox One had, so I am thinking it'll probably shift more towards MS next gen.

Are you counting handhelds ?
Cause when you talking consoles that is whole other matter .
Nintendo has never sold as much consoles in Europe as Sony have , Sony has sold over 40 million plus consoles in Europe since PS1.
I mean right now in Europe Germany is Sony second biggest market there ( could be biggest since we not get figure for a while.)

Last edited:

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Casual gamers didn't buy the Switch at launch.

It was people that had to play the new Zelda.

It's annoying how the games media want have this narrative that Playstation is a flop. And the business doesn't know what they're doing.

It comes off as fanboyish. "PS4 is gonna suck, buy Xbox" was the narrative before this gen.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It never works out when you target hardcore gamers, just look at the Playstation 4! Errrr I mean...uhhh never-mind delete my article.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this logic.

Sony is far away the strongest brand in gaming.

Their next console might not sell as much as the PS4 (or might sell more), but it is hard to see anything they do being a flop unless the market changes dramatically for everyone or they totally fuck up and put out garbage or overprice it to a ridiculous degree.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
With Call of Duty,other shooters and Sports games still being the highest selling games with a wide margin in spite of any feelings you have against them, it doesn't look like there'll be that big of a difference to now. Now the "interesting" games getting support is what brings the good will from the crazy dedicated people. I still think another GOW and Spiderman is all it will take to get people on board + backwards compatibility being guaranteed and if it was not then we can start throwing chairs.

Jan 20, 2019

Yah, you should check the facts before posting something wrong like that.

EU is consider a Sony land for a reason.

Nov 1, 2017
Obviously this is complete bollocks. Playstation is a hugely powerful brand in gaming and there will be many, many people who will buy a PS5 on the name alone. Sony could release the biggest turd of a machine ever and it would still outsell Xbox anywhere that isn't the US. They already did with the PS3.

thatsbait.gif

I'm joking of course but in all seriousness if the PS3's many missteps weren't enough to make people reconsider buying a Playstation console then nothing will. That's the power of strong marketing and brand loyalty.

Oct 25, 2017
The only way the ps5 is dead on arrival is if it's 599 again. Focusing on quality exclusives while also being affordable is what made the PS4 so successful. They need to not forget the latter point

What's bonkers about the ps4 is its done those numbers without ever being properly price reduced. I still think Sony could sell another 30 - 50 million if they could it down to a mass market $99 price. Heck even $150 might do the trick around the PS5 launch just like they did with the ps2.
I don't think we'll ever see a console for $99 again outside of maybe some subscription contract subsidized deal kind of thing. For one, inflation makes that a less reasonable price point than the last time it occurred, and also people are used to paying more for mainstream electronics like phones and tablets and probably consoles for all we know.

edit: just looked it up. PS2 hit $99 dollars 10 years ago, 3 years into the PS3's life. With the PS5 being BC with PS4, there's less reason to keep PS4 alive that long. Though maybe it would make a good trojan horse to get people into PS4 software cheaply and then increase the chances they upgrade to a PS5?

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Don't loop Japan and Asia.

Nintendo doesn't have an official presence in several countries

Euro is Sony land but some countries like France Nintendo is competitive

Even US I disagree

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Focusing on only one group entirely is plan that will always backfire.

Xbox used to concentrate on hardcore gamers with only handful flagship IPs and none of the varied genre Sony had starting this gen. Multiple indies carried Sony through the first few years (don't read too much into this) when their explosive SP games were cooking for launch, rest is history.

People are thinking this is an ALL-IN strategy, but its not. Sony will still maintain a mixture between small and big games but with a slight softspot towards big AAA games showcasing their hardware. Not to forget this article also take heavy assumption that PS5 will be 800$ at launch which is...lol.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Thats not the case now. It was then. You get like one or two exclusives per year now, and sony's exclusives we have to admit target much of the same audience. They make story driven cinematic singleplayer games. The audience overlaps. Consoles now share nearly all of their games, its not like how it was in the 90's.
is this a meme ?

Last edited:

Hate

Oct 26, 2017

tenor.gif

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The last outlet that I would think is believable regarding this topic is any of the large American mainstream broadcast networks.

Unfortunately, although gaming is bigger than ever, they still don't understand how the industry works.
It's not in their interest to understand how the gaming industry works. They understand how modern media works: thinly veiled sponsored content and click-baiting to drive advertising revenue. After all, none of the readership actually pays for the content so you need to understand who does.
The article is from a site called CCN, not the network CNN.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Spain isnt a small market, is much bigger than Italy, Scandinavia or Australia. And Nintendo has a huge presence there, but ofc not as much as Sony.