• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
From my perspective, all Sony really need to do is announce a 4K 60 fps remaster of Bloodborne, and I'll march down to the store and buy a PS5.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I got one most of y'all legit might not know about unless it was already posted here.

If you use two apps you can bounce in between them using the home button by pressing it twice, for example if your hunting trophies and playing a game just keep double tapping the home button to switch between the list and the game. I think it also works for things like Netflix but I haven't watched Netflix on my ps4 in years so I don't remember.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
As long as Sony keeps the games coming, I don't see why the PS5 will flop. People will buy the PS5 just for TLOU2 Remaster, God of War 2, Spider-Man 2, Horizon 2 and so on. And all of these games are pretty much guaranteed. And almost every big third-party-games and small indie will also be on PS5.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I got one most of y'all legit might not know about unless it was already posted here.

If you use two apps you can bounce in between them using the home button by pressing it twice, for example if your hunting trophies and playing a game just keep double tapping the home button to switch between the list and the game. I think it also works for things like Netflix but I haven't watched Netflix on my ps4 in years so I don't remember.
Wrong thread lol.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Afaik consoles don't do much in Asia outside Japan. Mostly mobile gamers etc. Big presence in Japan means more than rest of the Asia. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nintendo has all the big markets from Europe in the bag. Germany and France at least. How's UK? Honest question, don't know about hw situation there. Spain is all Sony and little bit Nintendo, but it's a small market.

MS and Sony are basically tied in the US even with the terrible start that Xbox One had, so I am thinking it'll probably shift more towards MS next gen.

Just my take on this, not trying to start a console war.
Consoles are getting bigger and bigger in SEA at least and Sony is leading the way. Let's say Per does 40k less per week in Japan. The other SEA markets will easily make up the difference. India is also rapidly growing and PS4 is the best selling console there too.

With regards to EU Sony is still bigger than Nintendo in Germany. France is big for Nintendo but even then it's about 50:50 with Sony. UK is Sony land and so is the best of Europe, especially the smaller countries.

It's more like 60:40 in the US for Sony and MS. We'll see how launch will do for their next gen consoles but you also gotta remember MS gained a lot of ground in the US by using massive discounts.

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Even as someone who plans on buying the next Xbox first this is incorrect. It worked great for ps4. The early adopters are normally the enthusiasts and "hardcore gamer" they are the ones who influence others to jump on board down the road. Friends, family ect

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
As long as Sony keeps the games coming, I don't see why the PS5 will flop. People will buy the PS5 just for TLOU2 Remaster, God of War 2, Spider-Man 2, Horizon 2 and so on. And all of these games are pretty much guaranteed. And almost every big third-party-games and small indie will also be on PS5.
You forgot the biggest of them all; Gran Turismo 7.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Consoles are getting bigger and bigger in SEA at least and Sony is leading the way. Let's say Per does 40k less per week in Japan. The other SEA markets will easily make up the difference. India is also rapidly growing and PS4 is the best selling console there too.

With regards to EU Sony is still bigger than Nintendo in Germany. France is big for Nintendo but even then it's about 50:50 with Sony. UK is Sony land and so is the best of Europe, especially the smaller countries.

It's more like 60:40 in the US for Sony and MS. We'll see how launch will do for their next gen consoles but you also gotta remember MS gained a lot of ground in the US by using massive discounts.
Do you have any recent numbers for SEA?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
All these analyst forgetting Sony is going to be riding PS4 to the wheels fall off.

Next year is for hardcore gamers with the PS5, for everyone else? That PS4 'mini'is going to be all the gaming you need @ $150.

They aren't going to stop marketing PS4 at the best gaming option for majority of gamers, thing is gonna have like 10K games on it if it doesn't already. It's an easy sell for casual gamers and emerging markets.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Which electronics have gotten cheaper ? Every thing has gone up in price. Phones were 400 dollars few years ago and now they r 1000 dollars.tabs ,laptops etc..all have gone up in price over the years . I think u live in another dimension or something if around u electronics have gone down in price over the years
The original Playstation would be closer to $500 today at launch. Playstation 2 would be closer to $430 today at launch.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and you can by that necessite for 100$ or less, peopel still spend 700$ on a new phone every year. That argument is bs.
Most smartphones being sold today are less than $700. Only in a few markets can that $700++ be seen as sustainable and even then, they are seen are luxury and social status symbols. It was also price creep since the markets has determined that people were willing to pay for it.

Consoles on the other hand, is more price sensitive. Just look at the PS3.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
All these analyst forgetting Sony is going to be riding PS4 to the wheels fall off.

Next year is for hardcore gamers with the PS5, for everyone else? That PS4 'mini'is going to be all the gaming you need @ $150.

They aren't going to stop marketing PS4 at the best gaming option for majority of gamers, thing is gonna have like 10K games on it if it doesn't already. It's an easy sell for casual gamers and emerging markets.
Obviously. But how can one make an analysis about console gaming and forget the PS4 even exists ?

Phones are necessities. Consoles are not.
Food is a necessity too. Must people eat lobster tails and caviar ?

Jan 20, 2019
Most smartphones being sold today are less than $700. Only in a few markets can that $700++ be seen as sustainable and even then, they are seen are luxury and social status symbols. It was also price creep since the markets has determined that people were willing to pay for it.

Consoles on the other hand, is more price sensitive. Just look at the PS3.

The ps3 was 13 years ago, 13 years. At the time, the most expensive phone has a Nokia that cost 500$ and they were selling that console at 599$...

The market for the ps3 and for the ps5 is a different market, different era. Peopel spend soo much money in phones today compare to 13 years ago.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The ps3 was 13 years ago, 13 years. At the time, the most expensive phone has a Nokia that cost 500$ and they were selling that console at 599€...

The market for the ps3 and for the ps5 is a different market, different era. Peopel spend soo much money in phones today compare to 13 years ago.
The market has changed somewhat but the fundamental truth is that consoles are seen as luxuries. Phones are a commodity unless you have strategically placed your brand like Apple. But even that took almost a decade of consumer training.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Microsoft with its unique ecosystem, Nintendo dominating the charts and with a new cheaper SKU and Google introducing the streaming service... what´s Sony strategy? TLOU2 and FFVII? I mean, the PS5 will sell a lot but I see Sony losing the 1st place.

Jan 20, 2019
The market has changed somewhat but the fundamental truth is that consoles are seen as luxuries. Phones are a commodity unless you have strategically placed your brand like Apple. But even that took almost a decade of consumer training.

And soo is the TV, you still see peopel line up to speend 500$ on a brand new tv.

Peopel that like to gaming, will by the console at 500$, there is no doubt about that. The families will wait for a price drop, like they wait for the ps4 to drop as well.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
These analysts always get the newest gen wrong. Sony knows their place in the market and they're gonna capitalize on their strengths. They're rather gonna choose the stable +100M userbase that's been with them for decades than risk everything by catering to all groups.

Microsoft with its unique ecosystem, Nintendo dominating the charts and with a new cheaper SKU and Google introducing the streaming service... what´s Sony strategy? TLOU2 and FFVII? I mean, the PS5 will sell a lot but I see Sony losing the 1st place.

Nintendo doesnt dominate the charts, PS4 is still outselling the Switch worldwide. Google streaming hasn't even started yet and we'll see if MS new strategy is gonna succeed or not.

Also lol at what´s "Sony strategy? TLOU2 and FFVII? " Yeah, these platforms live or die with games on them

Last edited:

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Yes, games for the gaming console is the plan. Mind blowing, I know.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I feel like the impact of cloud gaming is overstated just like the onset of mobile gaming just before the PS4/XB1 launch. Sony will be just fine.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
This is bait '-)

I also think the current market will accept a powerful PS5 at $500, particularly if they update PS4 and make it an attractive alternative. I'm of the mindset though, that PS5, PS5Pro should be day one machines, I basically would spend good money to get a custom made Sony PC that mostly just plays game. Like a good $600-$700 for one personally. I use my PS4 everyday, it's the main part of my living room entertainment, don't mind splurging once in a while.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony's strategy will be to once again offer the console with the most games overall (3rd and 1st party) AND a lot of incredible 1st party games / exclusives. Worked like a charm for the PS4.

Deleted member 22002

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rich kids in big cities with reliable fast uncapped internet who despise image quality and game ownership but love input lag and subscribe2pay models aren't going to be a deciding factor next gen, likely not even a blip, it's that simple.

All those "sucking investors into throwing themselves at the burning pire of game streaming" articles are quite a sight, but I'm still waiting for cell phones to murder the console business.

RudyS

Nov 2, 2017
I think it's more like this:

Japan and Asia: Nintendo >> Sony >>>>> MS
Europe: Nintendo > Sony >> MS
US: Nintendo > MS >> Sony
Rest of the World: Sony >> Nintendo >>>> MS

So, Sony the Brand that have all their 4 consoles on the top 5 of best selling home consoles ever is the weakest brand on the biggest market (US) and an humble second place in the 2 next biggest markets (japan and euope).
Makes sense!

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
And soo is the TV, you still see peopel line up to speend 500$ on a brand new tv.

Peopel that like to gaming, will by the console at 500$, there is no doubt about that. The families will wait for a price drop, like they wait for the ps4 to drop as well.
No question about it. But are those people buying 500 tvs and consoles enough to sustain it? We don't know but we have a pretty good idea.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Asian markets in Favour of Sony... not sure about India.
Not in markets Nintendo has official presence in (Korea, Taiwan, HK). Switch rivals PS4 in every market Nintendo shows up in and we finally started getting the weekly sales to demonstrate that from Mediacreate.

It'll be interesting to see how Tencent's Switch does in the mainland too.

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Its more like PS 5 will sell anyway and i dont like streaming at all. But i guess xbox will win a bit back.