• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
The Playstation 5 will be a Juggernaut and no mistake.
The brand is too established now, nothing can really slow it down.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Regarding PS3 BC on the PS5 platform I've always believed they will have it in there, if only because of PS Now. Having to continue to build, install and maintain Cell chips (along with any other relevant components) to run PS3 games on PS Now is basically burning money as that platform continues to grow. It makes far more economical sense to take the time and spend the money to develop PS3 BC so they'll only have to worry about installing PS5 hardware in Azure datacenters. This will save them countless tens of millions of dollars compared to having to run PS3 hardware alongside PS5 hardware in those locations around the world. Once the emulator is developed to run in datacenters just plop it on the consoles so they can play those games locally and you're set.
This basically tells me that ps3 BC is going to be tricky as fuck because I was betting on ps now for ps3 BC, but the way you put it makes it sound like it's a bad option, just as bad as putting ps3 harware into ps5's and just as bad as emulating which would be an extreme undertaking.

Ps3's hardware mistakes seems to still be carrying over and it's too bad.

Jul 15, 2019
Prediction in the gaming industry are pretty tough to call. But at this point Sony are almost like the Patriots. They are gonna be in the mix, they are gonna be good, they probably will dominate again.

And I'm not sold on Ms throwing a bunch of money at acquisitions. Fans are just assuming next gen MS is going to turn into Nintendo or Sony with high quality WWS hits after another.

Doesn't work like that...
Especially not when they said that they're not looking to fill out any checklist, but rather pump out games every 3 months. It'll more typical games as a service stuff according to Phil for Gamepass

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
As long as they aren't cranking out exclusive hits left and right like Sony or Nintendo people won't change their opinions.

Isn't that what they are trying to change by acquiring/creating all these studios ?

The big problem for MS going into the next gen is that the consoles look to be launching around the same time. With the 360 launching earlier it allowed them to get a bit of market share in the next gen before sony released. Launching together they have to convince gamers to leave the Sony ecosystem which is a tough sell.

I think they are doing all the right things at the moment Game Pass, Play Anywhere, Cross Save etc. Launch titles will be really important but its complete guess work to say whether any of the potential games will have the draw that Xbox needs.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that what they are trying to change by acquiring/creating all these studios ?
The acquisitions are the first step, but it will still take quite a bit of guidance and maturation to get those studios to a point where they are consistently putting out high quality content, if ever. It can be a very long process.

I wouldn't necessarily assume output will be top tier right out of the gate.

The big problem for MS going into the next gen is that the consoles look to be launching around the same time. With the 360 launching earlier it allowed them to get a bit of market share in the next gen before sony released. Launching together they have to convince gamers to leave the Sony ecosystem which is a tough sell.

I think they are doing all the right things at the moment Game Pass, Play Anywhere, Cross Save etc. Launch titles will be really important but its complete guess work to say whether any of the potential games will have the draw that Xbox needs.
Assuming Sony is on point at launch, there isn't really anything MS can do to stop what will happen market wise. So, I think MS should just focus on what they can control and do their best to maximize their effectiveness -- get messaging right, release good games, tout services, etc... As long as MS can improve their marketshare relative to where it was this gen, it is fine. They shouldn't be concerned with rivaling Sony in marketshare.

Last edited:

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
With Stadia launching, Xcloud launching and PCs getting cheaper to build, I see PS5 as the last major console version i.e. by the time PS6 launches, it will be a niche market as everyone would have moved on to streaming games.

This is pretty inevitable no matter how much gamers spin it. Consoles will be niche in the future. 14 years is a long time in tech and Streaming would have most likely taken off at that point.

Elma4Smash

Banned
Jul 15, 2019
XBox is going for the power narrative again. No way it's cheaper than the ps5 lol

Microsoft will most likely launch 2 version of Scarlett:

399 Dollar-version, probably somewhat weaker than PS5

699 Dollar-version, basically "what if the Xbox One X had launched same say with original Xbox One".

That way they'll have a massmarket compatible console, but also get to claim 'most powerful system', des'ite it being the less sales-relevant model.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017

699 Dollar-version, basically "what if the Xbox One X had launched same say with original Xbox One".

That way they'll have a massmarket compatible console, but also get to claim 'most powerful system', des'ite it being the less sales-relevant model.
Why would you think this? The two SKU launch is something everyone else has backed away from because it makes no sense

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Lockhart/anaconda is dead, only scarlett now. One console, likely very similar spec to ps5.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

lockhart plan apparently was canned back in late 2018 according to zhuge and matt.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
This is pretty inevitable no matter how much gamers spin it. Consoles will be niche in the future. 14 years is a long time in tech and Streaming would have most likely taken off at that point.
There's a huge difference between paying £10 a month subscribing to tens of millions of songs or tens of thousands of hours of TV, and paying £50 to be able to stream a single game.

Given Google have already said you'll have to buy games in order to stream them, unless the publishers are willing to change their business model I don't see how it's going to become mainstream.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
"Oh shit here we go again" GTA gif. Have to endure another 18-20 months of such hot takes from the press/media, sigh!

Jul 15, 2019

Uhh correct me if I'm wrong but they through the cheaper version out the window cus it was holding back next gen

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I think one of them will be $400, possibly both. I don't know which. Launching at over $400 has always been a recipe for failure, especially if the competition comes in at that magical $399.99 price point (Ex. Xbox One vs PS4, Xbox 360 vs PS3). Maybe there will be a bundle with VR for $500-$600 if Sony wants to push those units into homes.
That's what I think too. I'm saving up for if and when the Ps5 is half a grand but I'm terms of launch, I really don't think going above $400 is a good idea but $500 seems to be what everyone is saying.
XBox is going for the power narrative again. No way it's cheaper than the ps5 lol
The rumors surrounding Ps5 also makes it sound like a conversation about a powerhouse as well as talk of it being $500

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I mean.

MS created 343 to pump out inferior halo sequels (not new ips)
MS created the coalition to pump out gears of war content (while having cancelled black tusks original IP to put them on gears).
Rare was a terrible purchase as they put them on kinect.

There is this idea that Microsoft is a corporation that is going to try to put out creative original content when the reality is Microsoft is going to push games as a service, proven IPs, and other money-making fads.

every. single. year. microsoft says they're focusing on the games and gamers and they have never delivered on this promise since a very 3rd party-centric early 360 era. They've been coasting on the good will from die-hards ever since.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Especially not when they said that they're not looking to fill out any checklist, but rather pump out games every 3 months. It'll more typical games as a service stuff according to Phil for Gamepass
Yeah which doesn't seem to fit in with what Sony is doing with Storytelling AAA titles or what Nintendo does with gameplay mechanics. MS just seem to be looking for the next blockbuster hit in whatever shape or form, (which is why they spent a billion f'n dollar for Minecraft). I'm not expecting much out of their studios besides a hopefully amazing new Halo game and Forza. Maybe the next Fable will be awesome too, either one of those will push me to get a Xbox next gen since I skipped them this one.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I'm thinking it's $499 and Sony justifies it through good marketing. Will just get the hardcore at first but should be able to price drop after 2 holiday seasons. This is selling alongside PS4 remember. If people are turned off by the price they have the cheaper option, by having a nice gap between the two platforms it's a safe bet to offset costs I believe. I mean even launching at $500 is likely not profitable for Sony.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I guess. Its just one generation too late considering that the same arguments about a lack of exclusives were around back in 2011 and 2012.
Microsoft went an entire generation without doing anything about this problem and is now banking on promises, which is a strategy I just don't see working in mainland Europe.
Also considering that promises and "wait for xyz"-lines were basically all they have been doing since 2013. People stop listening at some point.

Also, simply buying some studios won't ensure they'll be able to compete with Sony and Nintendo quality-wise.

Yes. And its not like Sony is going to mess up their next gen launch.
So there is a massive amount of gamers simply going from Ps4 to Ps5, and that means that you not only have to convince people to switch eco systems and leave their digital content behind as well as miss out on the sequels to many of the most successful titles of Ps4, but you also have to convince them to leave most of their friends behind.
I just don't see that happening. At least not to a significant extent.

XboxOne also showed that their big franchises like Halo and Gears have lost much of their pull. They still sell well, but they are a far cry from the juggernauts they once were.

I really doubt that many people in Europe even know about these features on Xbox, since the interest in the platform just isn't there.
At the moment I don't think that many people are even considering an Xbox for next gen here.

This all sounds very doomy and gloomy. But it actually just means that MS wont dethrone Sony in Europe.
But if the platform is good and the games are great, Xbox can probably still make up some marketshare compared to this gen. But that would require them to really deliver on the games side.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because that's what MS's E3 presentation this year made it sound like. And I don't see the downside.

It really didn't though, by all accounts they've abandoned the 2 sku approach, and we've even had some rumours that the PS5 could be more powerful that the next Xbox.

Either way I don't see a major difference between them.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018

There last update on that rumor is they are no longer doing this and we are getting a single weaker console now.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? Well, that's bad then. MS should realize how important it is for their console to be the most powerful, because Sony will, for now, have the upperhand software-wise.

The next gen consoles will likely be very close in terms of power, so neither should have a major advantage which is honestly probably a good thing.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I think an at-cost PS5 would do well and it's my personal choice for Sony's strategy next year. I'll list some reasons.

- PS4 is still producing games that look great is affordable already, and has an established library
- If next gen biggest innovation is better CPU and load times, it will take some development years to produce a title not possible on current hardware
-we live in a tech world, reviews are taking apart machines and doing quality test on them. Media will let consumers know if PS5 is worth the $$ by the design and components
-PS3 fiasco happened in part because the games DIDNOT look better than X360. Yes is was about the price, but the problem was there was no justification for it being $200 more expensive than Xbox at least not one that ppl cared for. It might have done better otherwise.
-PS brand is arguably as strong as PS2 days with a much stronger digital attachment ratio. It might be able to hold out for a least 2 holidays of being pricey for more casual gamers.

Thoughts?

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
XboxOne also showed that their big franchises like Halo and Gears have lost much of their pull. They still sell well, but they are a far cry from the juggernauts they once were.

Halo and Gears had absolutely nothing to do with why the Xbox One didnt sell well at launch, the whole tv, tv, tv , 100 quid dearer and kinect took care of that.

I really doubt that many people in Europe even know about these features on Xbox, since the interest in the platform just isn't there.
At the moment I don't think that many people are even considering an Xbox for next gen here.

This is some grade A bullshit here.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I would like to believe you, but do you have anything that would support that?
Only speculation. But I believe (based on statements they've made within the past year) that they understand what made them so successful this gen and what decisions made them less successful in the past, and I expect them to capitalize on those lessons learned going forward.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Only speculation. But I believe (based on statements they've made within the past year) that they understand what made them so successful this gen and what decisions made them less successful in the past, and I expect them to capitalize on those lessons learned going forward.
I've honestly been thinking this way too, but the vast majority of people here and news articles seem to think Sony will push for $500. I think even on this forum there was a polled thread and $500 was winning.

Let's hope we're right.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I've honestly been thinking this way too, but the vast majority of people here and news articles seem to think Sony will push for $500. I think even on this forum there was a polled thread and $500 was winning.

Let's hope we're right.
I hear you but if there's one thing this forum is consistently great at, it's being wrong as fuck.