• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
According to this article on gamer.no (Norwegian), the Playstation 5 will not be sold in physical stores in Norway due to corona at request from Sony.

My own translation of relevant parts:
When the Playstation 5 is released 19th of November it will be impossible to get the console in the stores. All Playstation 5 sales will be via online stores. This will as far as we know be the case for all retailers.

According to sources that Gamer.no talkes to, Sonys reason is that they do not want to contribute to increased coronainfections - something they picture will hapen if there are larger gatherings of customers who wants to secure the console around launch.

Can't say I blame them it would be bad optics to have PS4 store hordes in these days.
Have anyone heard of similar situations in other countries?

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Good move tbh. I remember seeing lines from the midnight launch of TLoU2(?) in Sweden and it was awful. Long lines of people standing too close to each other.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
One of the major outlets (komplett.no) has a order queue reaching Summer 2021 heh (irresponsible pre-ordering program on their side).
Elkjøp.no is putting up their in-store quota online any moment now it sounded like in an article (they had to stop online pre-orders after 15 minutes when it opened a while back). You can still get a Series S for launch and a Series X for December.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Norway just got new rules, a customer told me. So I guess it depends on rules in the countries? But maybe Sony will try to make some changes for the whole Nordics?

OP
OP
tyfon

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
One of the major outlets (komplett.no) has a order queue reaching Summer 2021 heh (irresponsible pre-ordering program on their side).
Elkjøp.no is putting up their in-store quota online any moment now it sounded like in an article (they had to stop online pre-orders after 15 minutes when it opened a while back). You can still get a Series S for launch and a Series X for December.

Hopefully they will give a time when they put it out to avoid a F5 fest lol

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
What I find really interesting is that this doesn't seem to be happening in the UK, one of my clients is in the top 5 tech retailers in the UK and I asked them yesterday when the rumours started and they said they hadn't heard anything about this affecting them.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah sounds like this is a world wide thing. Sounds like it will be all in-store pickup.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Good decision, same reason I'm getting my new console delivered. Sure, have to wait till driver gets here but better then putting myself/folks at risk

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Haha, as if the console would have been available to buy on launch day anyway. It has been completely sold out since a few minutes after preorders opened up. The Nordic countries are often prioritized for technology launches, but we're always at the bottom of the list when it comes to console launches for some reason.

At least the current situation is better than the PS4 launch. From what I recall, the Nordic countries had 1000 PS4s in total to share between them.

OP
OP
tyfon

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Haha, as if the console would have been available to buy on launch day anyway. It has been completely sold out since a few minutes after preorders opened up. The Nordic countries are often prioritized for technology launches, but we're always at the bottom of the list when it comes to console launches for some reason.

At least the current situation is better than the PS4 launch. From what I recall, the Nordic countries had 1000 PS4s in total to share between them.

Most retailers were supposed to have a reserve for in-store launch day.

Oct 27, 2017
Prevents queueing and rushes to pick one up at launch so it makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen in more territories given that covid numbers are going up in a lot of places.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
What I find really interesting is that this doesn't seem to be happening in the UK, one of my clients is in the top 5 tech retailers in the UK and I asked them yesterday when the rumours started and they said they hadn't heard anything about this affecting them.
In the UK we will have restrictions of one per customer in Tier 3 areas between 10:30am and 6:15pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, and Digital Editions only available alongside a substantial meal.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
hSeOEjP.gif

Goodbye, golden era.

electristan

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Good. I have one on pre-order from cdon.no but have no date estimate, ordered a september 17th.

If Norway is doing this on Sony's request, and is one of the European countries with the lowest numbers, i would thing the rest of Europe will be asked to do the same.

Oct 27, 2017
Over here people stopped caring about corona so I don't get why Norway out of everyone is doing this.

Still, I am one of the few who still tries not to go out much so I am very okay with this.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Not quite the same, but due to lockdown in Ireland, I can't have my consoles which are both paid in full at GameStop. Their Twitter claims they'll be in touch, but considering they couldn't even arrange a blanket email to reassure people with preorders, at this point I'm not holding my breath.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Same in germany because they have no stock anyway from what i've read
What about Media Markt in-store pickup for pre-orders?
I haven't received any info from MM saying something has changed.
And even if Sony requested something like that, I'm not sure MM would comply. They didn't give a fuck about when to start taking pre-orders.
i heard the same for germany.
Source?

Oct 7, 2020
Italy
Gamestop in Italy is telling people the same (if there is no lockdown, they'll still sell it though). I didn't understand if this concerns preorders too or just reserves to sell on D1 🤔

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Last i read they took too many preorders and had to cancel some so no idea if they finished cancelling.

Germany got 100k launch PS5s and they were sold out within minutes.

www.gameswirtschaft.de

PlayStation 5: Handel kann Auslieferung zum 19.11. noch nicht garantieren (Update) - GamesWirtschaft.de

Der PlayStation-5-Vorverkauf gleicht weiterhin einem Krimi: Zwei Wochen vor Auslieferung herrscht immer noch Unsicherheit, wie viel Ware in den Handel gelangt.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Last i read they took too many preorders and had to cancel some so no idea if they finished cancelling.

Germany got 100k launch PS5s and they were sold out within minutes.

www.gameswirtschaft.de

PlayStation 5: Handel kann Auslieferung zum 19.11. noch nicht garantieren (Update) - GamesWirtschaft.de

Der PlayStation-5-Vorverkauf gleicht weiterhin einem Krimi: Zwei Wochen vor Auslieferung herrscht immer noch Unsicherheit, wie viel Ware in den Handel gelangt.
But that has nothing to do with the topic at hand?
This topic is about retailers not being allowed to sell stock in their stores, even if they have some on hand. The can still sell them online, though. This is to prevent the spread of COVID when people storm into stores on launch day in hopes of still getting a PS5.
What you mentioned was the fact that Media Markt got more pre-orders than the actual stock they will get from Sony on launch day so they had to cancel or delay some late orders. I ordered within minutes of it going online and haven't received a cancellation or delay info from MM.

Smidig

Nov 13, 2017
I've also heard that this is a worldwide thing, and while it's not a straight up "ban" on sales, Sony has strongly suggested they will cut future deliveries if companies don't comply with their suggestion. That's what I'm hearing at least. I reported on this yesterday in the PS5 preorder thread, and so far it's looking like most of it is correct.

OP
OP
tyfon

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I've also heard that this is a worldwide thing, and while it's not a straight up "ban" on sales, Sony has strongly suggested they will cut future deliveries if companies don't comply with their suggestion. That's what I'm hearing at least. I reported on this yesterday in the PS5 preorder thread, and so far it's looking like most of it is correct.

Yep, that is also implied in the article I posted. It's not an outright ban but it will harm the relationship between Sony and the store if they decide to sell it in-store anyway.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I pre-ordered from Mediamark (Seeden), and I'll get mine delivered to my front door, free of charge.

Smidig

Nov 13, 2017
Yep, that is also implied in the article I posted. It's not an outright ban but it will harm the relationship between Sony and the store if they decide to sell it in-store anyway.
Yup, I assume the internal memo they've read is from the company I work at. It's just so weird that there hasn't been any international media about this yet. :s

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

Also have a pre-order for in store pickup.
I called my local MM yesterday to inquire about the plans they have in place in case of a 2nd lockdown.

Official answer: "Nobody knows"

Real answer:
They can't really talk about lockdown plans unless there is a lockdown.
But if your PS5 is already paid for you hold a much stronger hand than people who opted for 'pay in store'.
The lady on the phone told me that consoles could be rerouted to your home if the lockdown is announced soon enough.
Alternatively, they could use their loading ramps in the back (the ones you use, if you buy a fridge).
But if they go that route, there won't be any payment processing so only 'paid for' pre orders could do it.

All in all, I wouldn't stress too much. The government will do whatever it can to protect retail (a 2nd lockdown would be the finishing blow to many). And in November, as opposed to March, the safety precautions are already in place at these stores anyways.
Really don't see the point in closing down spacious stores like Hornbach, MediaMarkt or Kaufland with all the work they put in to minimize human contacts.

UPDATE:
looks like there will be a new "soft" lockdown beginning Nov 4th.
Retail looks to be unaffected IF they make follow a "1 shopper per 25 sqm" rule.

I guess the launch window is safe.

Last edited:

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Also have a pre-order for in store pickup.
I called my local MM yesterday to inquire about the plans they have in place in case of a 2nd lockdown.

Official answer: "Nobody knows"

Real answer:
They can't really talk about lockdown plans unless there is a lockdown.
But if your PS5 is already paid for you hold a much stronger hand than people who opted for 'pay in store'.
The lady on the phone told me that consoles could be rerouted to your home if the lockdown is announced soon enough.
Alternatively, they could use their loading ramps in the back (the ones you use, if you buy a fridge).
But if they go that route, there won't be any payment processing so only 'paid for' pre orders could do it.

All in all, I wouldn't stress too much. The government will do whatever it can to protect retail (a 2nd lockdown would be the finishing blow to many). And in November, as opposed to March, the safety precautions are already in place at these stores anyways.
Really don't see the point in closing down spacious stores like Hornbach, MediaMarkt or Kaufland with all the work they put in to minimize human contacts.

UPDATE:
looks like there will be a new "soft" lockdown beginning Nov 4th.
Retail looks to be unaffected IF they make follow a "1 shopper per 25 sqm" rule.

I guess the launch window is safe.
Thanks for the input. Thankfully my PS5 is already paid for.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With France going to close everything this evening. What happens to my store pick up Fnac delivery :(

OP
OP
tyfon

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I just called Elkjøp in Norway to see what's up and they have no idea if they will get consoles to sell on web or what will happen.

"We're waiting for information from Sony about what to do, no info on more consoles or the time they will be put up if we get more. Call back in two weeks"

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
As far as DE is concerned there was a very slim chance to buy a PS5 on launch day at a store anyways.

Thanks for the input. Thankfully my PS5 is already paid for.

No problem.
Have been following the news, I wouldn't worry too much. Looks like the next measures will only affect hospitality.

What exactly does this mean? I have a pre-order with GameStop and they told me I'll get a call and then get told a specific time I can pick the console up on. Would that be affected too?

Chances are super slim. Not sure where that information is from tbh
As we speak, there is no lockdown in place. There will probably be new restrictions starting on Nov 4th but retail seems to be not affected in the plans.