• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
iSpottv-ad-spend-March-2019.png

First place goes to PlayStation with an estimated spend of $7.9 million on just two spots that ran over 1,200 times, resulting in 379.8 million TV ad impressions. The spend was split nearly equally between "This World Comes for You" (est. $3.96 million) and "One Bullet" (est. $3.95 million), both advertising the game Days Gone. PlayStation allocated spend across networks including ESPN, TNT, and ABC, and during programming such as the NBA, the 2019 NFL Draft, and SportsCenter

Peak Games, new to our ranking, takes second place with about $6.6 million in spend for three spots that aired over 2,300 times and generated 470.1 million impressions. "Toon Blast: Arms," featuring Ryan Reynolds, was the commercial with the biggest placement budget, an estimated $2.6 million.

With an estimated spend of $5.3 million, Nintendo claims third place. The company ran 12 ads more than 1,800 times, resulting in 244.4 million impressions. The spot with the biggest placement budget (est. $2 million) was "My Way: Yoshi's Crafted World." Three of the programs attracting the most spend were SpongeBob SquarePants, The Loud House, and The Amazing World of Gumball, while top networks included Nick, Cartoon Network, and Teen Nick.

Fourth place goes to Warner Bros. Games with an estimated total budget of $4.7 million to place three spots that aired over 1,200 times and garnered 378.4 million impressions. "Mortal Kombat 11: Old Skool vs. New Skool" had the biggest budget, an estimated $2.4 million. Warner Bros. Games prioritized spend across networks such as TNT, ESPN, and Adult Swim, and programming including the NBA, the NHL, and South Park

https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/11/...-industrys-29-4-million-tv-ad-spend-in-april/

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Interesting that Microsoft is nowhere on that list, but without a marquee title releasing last month I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The other news is Nintendo spending $5 million on marketing, I didn't think they spend a lot on marketing.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That days gone marketing was something else. It's been everywhere since Jan and looks like it paid off.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Driveby Posting
They had to market that mediocre junk Days Gone.

It is what it is.

Last edited:

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
This is Sony's and Nintendo's primary source of income. MS makes more money in other spaces so I don't blame them for not spending a lot in this space.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/04/06/...ins-lead-for-game-industry-in-march-in-march/

Xbox spent $13 million in March for The Division 2 and Devil May Cry 5. They also spent a lot in February for Metro and Anthem. The first quarter had Xbox spending heavy because of all the marketing deals they had in place while PlayStations first big ad expense this year was for Days Gone.

Sony is the one who is stockpiling, MS still has to spend a lot so late into the game but it helps the brand stay competitive.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So, what changed between Feb and April...because this thread is about April.

Nevermind, answered here:

https://venturebeat.com/2019/04/06/...ins-lead-for-game-industry-in-march-in-march/

Xbox spent $13 million in March for The Division 2 and Devil May Cry 5. They also spent a lot in February for Metro and Anthem. The first quarter had Xbox spending heavy because of all the marketing deals they had in place while PlayStations first big ad expense this year was for Days Gone.

Sony is the one who is stockpiling, MS still has to spend a lot so late into the game but it helps the brand stay competitive.
I even saw an ad for Days Gone in a theater before Endgame

It was literally everywhere

Yeah, I saw one before Endgame too.

Last edited:

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
At this point marketing deals for Xbox seem pointless. Why they spending money advertising someone else's game when it's most likely someone will just buy that game on another platform.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
MS was marketing Anthem and DMC5 (probably other stuff) back in February I believe which increased their ad spent. Somy had Days Gone marketing in April which they surgically placed just 2 Days Gone ads in multiple avenues. I would say it paid for for them with Days Gone very well.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
At this point marketing deals for Xbox seem pointless. Why they spending money advertising someone else's game when it's most likely someone will just buy that game on another platform.

Because it helps keep Xbox in the minds of consumers when the Switch and PS4 consistently outsell it. It is a long stretch till November 2020 and the last thing MS wants is for Xbox to be at a new low when they are gearing up for the next generation.

Its costly, but it is necessary. If they were not doing these TV ads and having console prices reduced each month then they would be selling even less software and hardware than they are in this late stage of the generation. Unfortunately, Sony can pick and choose when they want to push the PS4 in this stage but MS needs to work way harder to keep as close behind them as possible.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

You should send your CV to Redmond and join the MS marketing team you seem to know better than them, good luck if they accept you.

That's not how marketing and brand awareness work if we follow your logic.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Interesting that Microsoft is nowhere on that list, but without a marquee title releasing last month I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise.
But what would they be advertising?
Yeah, if a game isnt advertised for xbox ratios atleast in UK reach 70-80 percent sometimes in favour of PS4.
And in countries like Spain, Germany etc 90/10. In Japan it can be 99/1 if the xbox version even gets a physical release.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
A pity the money was wasted on a middling game.

Sony Bend has not had a significant release in 7 years, they haven't worked on a console level game since the PS2 days. For their first game in ages to be a commercial hit is incredible for them as it hardly ever goes this well for a studio in their position.

What this means is that their next game can be all the more better and they can grow as a studio in-between then