Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

View: https://x.com/PlayStation/status/1772594607366295901?s=20

Update
When the PlayStation 5 console launched in 2020, we introduced Game Help to enable players to easily access hints, tips, or walkthrough videos without leaving the game to help them progress through a level, obtain a trophy, or find a coveted hidden item.

We're always evolving the PS5 console experience, and today, we are happy to announce a new enhancement for Game Help launching later this year: Community Game Help. Community Game Help will add to the current Game Help experience by expanding the library of helpful game hints, incorporating videos that are automatically generated from gameplay footage of players who have opted in to contribute.

When the enhanced Game Help experience featuring content from the community launches, Game Help will be available to all PS5 players, with or without a PlayStation Plus subscription. In supported games, PS5 players will be able to contribute their gameplay, view hints from fellow gamers, or access Game Help hints created by developers. Game developers can also continue to create their own hint videos, as seen in popular titles available today like The Last of Us Part II Remastered and Marvel's Spider-Man 2.

What can be provided
This process will be done automatically, so you don't need to edit or upload your clips for submission. Only your raw game footage will be uploaded, so images and audio from your webcam, microphone, or party chat audio will not be shared with the moderator or the community. Depending on the game you're playing, your video may include online IDs or chat messages that are shown on your game screen.

It'll be added to select titles that continues to grow as time goes on. There's more information at the Blog itself but the idea sounds pretty cool to me.
Especially as I've noticed Game Help can often be under-utilized or not as detailed as some others would like while playing.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Great that they are adding it, but should've been there day 1. Lots of times there is nothing, while YouTube has several alternatives to compare.

Alternatively, should've just let us use YouTube while playing game the same way we can see hints or see others streaming.

Dyno98

Jun 3, 2022
I could actually see this being used, opposite to the Game Help, due to being community driven and not requiring a subscription (who thought that would be a good idea?)

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I could actually see this being used, opposite to the Game Help, due to being community driven and not requiring a subscription (who thought that would be a good idea?)

Game Help being tied to PS+ feels like a case of
A. "Well, we can use this as just another bullet point for the service"
B. They thought it would be used FAR more than it has been. Basically only 1st Party Titles and games with some form of exclusivity really seem to bother

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Great that they are adding it, but should've been there day 1. Lots of times there is nothing, while YouTube has several alternatives to compare.

Alternatively, should've just let us use YouTube while playing game the same way we can see hints or see others streaming.

You can watch YouTube (and Twitch) while playing PS5 games without issue. Its a bit of a workaround to get it working but once you do it works great.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Nice, really liked whenever it has been implemented, but it's just very rare that it is. No PS+ is great too.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
This could be Miiverse potential hysterics. I'm here for it.

Also Sony could add the answer to the universe in PS5 updates but still avoid letting you at least change the colors of the console menus.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017

I always thought it was tied to PS+ as a means to push people to sub. It's a genuinely useful feature when it is implemented well, but from what I've seen the implementation is uneven at best.

Making this version community-run sounds like a good idea.

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland
That's a crazy amount of engineering they had to put into this and ensuring there are policies in place...people think this is so easy, but it has been years in the making. Just so slow to do this kind of stuff to make sure it's easy enough to use for folks. We couldn't have done the Game Help we did for Control and Alan Wake 2 without Sony, who always was so keen to get that stuff done. Game Help is great, but also to me a "classic" cool Sony feature that just people dont know about. Even at Remedy's there's just blank stares with most people when I talked about doing it for Alan Wake 2 :D

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be great! The feature's been super helpful in supported games, and being able to get assistance without watching a video full of ads on a separate device is seriously appreciated. Having more universal support via community contributions seems like a huge addition!

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
It being entirely automatic is interesting, I do wonder what quality of content they will get out of it compared with content which is specifically made to guide someone through a sequence.

ie. this says you opt in, you play a game and when you complete certain sections of a game it will automatically upload a recent gameplay capture for Sony moderators to review. If I've spent 5 minutes wandering around trying to figure out how to solve that section before finally completing it, how useful is that video going to be to someone who just wants the solution.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to do my part to misdirect everyone. It may be automatic but I would never put it past the internet to find a way to grief.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
That's a crazy amount of engineering they had to put into this and ensuring there are policies in place...people think this is so easy, but it has been years in the making. Just so slow to do this kind of stuff to make sure it's easy enough to use for folks. We couldn't have done the Game Help we did for Control and Alan Wake 2 without Sony, who always was so keen to get that stuff done. Game Help is great, but also to me a "classic" cool Sony feature that just people dont know about. Even at Remedy's there's just blank stares with most people when I talked about doing it for Alan Wake 2 :D
I have such huge respect for every dev implementing this feature, since it can't be easy. Doubly so when it's a multi-platform release with all of this extra effort only going towards one version! Thanks for your work on this!

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland
I have such huge respect for every dev implementing this feature, since it can't be easy. Doubly so when it's a multi-platform release with all of this extra effort only going towards one version! Thanks for your work on this!

Tbh, Sony has done the heavy lifting in our case, they are nice like that, but still, its work for us on the backend, strings, checking a few hundred videos a few times. Great for a game like Alan Wake 2 where people can get lost and progression isnt always so obvious.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I wasn't sold on the original game help proposition (just because it was obvious take up would be super low) but I love this!

Also can't wait to see the inevitable trolling that occurs but do genuinely hope it gets widespread adoption and usage.

Ricen-Beans

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how it will be curated? Or if there will be a rating system so the best videos rise to the top.

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022
When game help was first announced I thought it was cool but I didnt think I will use it. Years later I am looking into them for every game and I remember Control having a really great game help. Can't wait to check out Alan wake 2 later

ozumas

Born to be Wise and Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 15, 2020
I actually thing community driven help is the best thing that can be done and it must be free so this may be awesome

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say, I used it a lot in AW2 and got the plat first playthrough because of it.

Awesome implementation for the feature for an all time awesome game 😄

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Tbh I never used the PS+ help. I hope this will be mroe helpful.
If this just makes it much more common I think it will go a long way. I doubt the community will have as many options as the devs who can give you quick little guides to every individual collectable you are missing if they want, but it's so rare that is implemented I usually forget to even check.

terrible1fi

Jun 4, 2019
This existed years ago as the community feature back in the ps4 days. It was odd that they removed it

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
apparently this is live as per last nights update?

Version: 24.03-09.20.00

• Game Help has been expanded by adding Community Game Help features.
    • In Game Help, you will see hints labeled Community Game Help in supported games, which indicates that the hint was generated from other players' gameplay videos.
    • You can participate in Community Game Help by allowing your gameplay video to be automatically captured and added to the feature upon review.
      To opt in, go to Settings > Captures & Broadcasts > Captures > Auto Captures > Community Game Help, and then select Participate. You can also opt out at any time.
  • In Remote Play, if the persistent message "Remote Play connected." is displayed during Remote Play, you can now hide this on your game screen. Go to Settings > System > Remote Play and turn on Hide Remote Play Connection Status.
  • We've improved system software performance and stability.
  • We've improved the messages and usability on some screens.

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the option is available now. I opted in, we'll see what happens! Curious which games will support it.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I opted in. I'll check in a month to see if any of mine gets uploaded

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I opted in. Can't hurt to have something that'd automatically go towards helping others out.

Just want to say thank you for using the feature! I absolutely love it and always appreciate when a game has it.

Naughty Dog did it and it was so useful in The Last of Us with finding the missable items, and it's been so useful in Remedy games when I've been stumped with what to do or finding a collectable.

It's this type of effort to help the player out that really makes Remedy stand out as a fantastic developer and I wish more developers had utilised it.