• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I sat in on a sales meeting yesterday to talk to them about something else and our sales reps were concerned about how so many of our event advertisers are pulling out because of worries of Coronavirus even here in the south and mid-west(US). It's effect every industry to some degree.

My company has 15 million dollars worth of stock stuck in various harbours in and around China and Africa

They are already adjusting all their sales targets for the year

I feel like it's only going to get worse

They should really candle GDC. They would be dumb not too at this point

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Time to cancel. A show without the biggest companies is going to be worse for their image in the long run.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
I have a hard time figuring out all of this. On the one hand, government tell us it's not that a deal of a virus - yes it kills, but not much than the annual flu - and on the other hand you've got all that kind of reactions.
Do our gov downplay the thing to avoid general panic, or are those companies overreacting ? It's some strange times to be around, because I think I'm a rational person but all those bad signals put me in a weird mood.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time figuring out all of this. On the one hand, government tell us it's not that a deal of a virus - yes it kills, but not much than the annual flu - and on the other hand you've got all that kind of reactions.
Do our gov downplay the thing to avoid general panic, or are those companies overreacting ? It's some strange times to be around, because I think I'm a rational person but all those bad signals put me in a weird mood.
You mean the French government that just said to not shake people's hands?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

Overreaction is the wrong choice of words.
capitalistic companies DO NOT do things that cost them money or potential eyes on the product without a reason.

It is like the military maxim: "A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on."
Your government can talk all about how everything is fine, if your companies are bunkering up and let money lay on the street, something is up.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I totally get where you're coming from. My teenage kids came home from school today (UK) and told me they had watched a presentation about how to wash their hands properly, not to shake hands and even not to touch their own nose and mouth too much and if they do to immediately wash their hands. That makes the situation seem a lot more serious than the government are letting on.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

The entire thing about this particular virus is that the chance your immunity system isn't strong enough to take care of it itself, there's no vaccine you can take to get rid of it as a last ditch effort. But this Corona virus much like the flu, is something the vast majority of people will recover from on their own. So while I personally don't believe anyone's down playing it's severity, warning people of its existence and trying to prevent it's spread is a very responsible thing to do. Because if anyone less fortunate contracts something incurable, it's deadly.

Oct 25, 2017

We still don't know what the mortality rate of Corvid-19 will settle out at. Right now it varies depending on the age and health of the person involved and the quality of medical care in the county people are treated in. As it stands though right now, the estimate (around 2%) put the mortality rate significantly higher than the flu (which is typically around 0.1%).

Either way, COVID-19's low(ish) mortality rate is part of what makes it dangerous, most people who have been infected with COVID-19 have very mild cases, which is great, but it allows the disease to spread more easily. It sits in a sort of Goldilocks band where it is lethal enough to present a serious problem to a population, but generally mild enough to have plenty of carriers.

So the most prudent way to deal with the threat does involve a certain amount of overreaction, if that makes sense. There is no reason to panic, but there is a reason to take the situation seriously.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
If it will keep people safe then it's for the best.
I hope things chill in the summer, it would suck to have gamescom/E3/GDC cancelled this year.

Oct 25, 2017
Like 2000+ people have died worldwide. It is not zero and probably won't stay 0 in the US as well, if you just want to consider the US alone, which is a very myopic way of looking at something that is increasingly global.

The post was pointing out that I made a typo and said "morality" instead of "mortality". As a strand of RNA, COVID-19 definitely doesn't follow any sort of moral code.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
They said postponed but sounds like cancelled without compensation or something like this.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
You mean the French government that just said to not shake people's hands?

Hey that's not fair, I was at the restaurant by the time ^^
So it's seems France juste entered stage 2 (containing the spread)

Overreaction is the wrong choice of words.
capitalistic companies DO NOT do things that cost them money or potential eyes on the product without a reason.

It is like the military maxim: "A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on."
Your government can talk all about how everything is fine, if your companies are bunkering up and let money lay on the street, something is up.

Agreed with the last part, as it's kinda my point.
I use the word "overreaction" in opposite to the sppech of our gov.

I totally get where you're coming from. My teenage kids came home from school today (UK) and told me they had watched a presentation about how to wash their hands properly, not to shake hands and even not to touch their own nose and mouth too much and if they do to immediately wash their hands. That makes the situation seem a lot more serious than the government are letting on.

To be fair I think we know we're upon a break out, officials tries to limit panic and the speed of the spread, to get time to fine a cure / vaccine.

The entire thing about this particular virus is that the chance your immunity system isn't strong enough to take care of it itself, there's no vaccine you can take to get rid of it as a last ditch effort. But this Corona virus much like the flu, is something the vast majority of people will recover from on their own. So while I personally don't believe anyone's down playing it's severity, warning people of its existence and trying to prevent it's spread is a very responsible thing to do. Because if anyone less fortunate contracts something incurable, it's deadly.

You're right.
We still don't know what the mortality rate of Corvid-19 will settle out at. Right now it varies depending on the age and health of the person involved and the quality of medical care in the county people are treated in. As it stands though right now, the estimate (around 2%) put the mortality rate significantly higher than the flu (which is typically around 0.1%).

I know that, but the mortality of a virus isn't only a matter of rate but also its ability to spread. As far as we know (if we really know), the flu spread more easily than this one. I'm pretty sure we'll got a better idea -maybe not the full picture- of that in the weeks to come.

Either way, COVID-19's low(ish) mortality rate is part of what makes it dangerous, most people who have been infected with COVID-19 have very mild cases, which is great, but it allows the disease to spread more easily. It sits in a sort of Goldilocks band where it is lethal enough to present a serious problem to a population, but generally mild enough to have plenty of carriers.

So the most prudent way to deal with the threat does involve a certain amount of overreaction, if that makes sense. There is no reason to panic, but there is a reason to take the situation seriously.

You're right I guess.

Thank all of you

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I know that, but the mortality of a virus isn't only a matter of rate but also its ability to spread. As far as we know (if we really know), the flu spread more easily than this one. I'm pretty sure we'll got a better idea -maybe not the full picture- of that in the weeks to come.
Unfortunately that's not the case according to the experts. The regular flu has an R0 of 1.3, whereas COVID-19 has an R0 in the 2-3 range. It's true that this is preliminary data though.