• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
At what point should we start to worry about reveals or shows not happening this year.. I dont want it to be April and out of nowhere the rest of the E3 publishers pull out( I know Sony wont be there anyway) but still.

EDIT: Glad this is more for health and not actual delays, as some folks are pointing out

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
At what point should we start to worry about reveals or shows not happening this year.. I dont want it to be April and out of nowhere the rest of the E3 publishers pull out( I know Sony wont be there anyway) but still.

Pertaining to the virus, it all depends on how containment of it goes in the coming weeks and months.

Reveals can still happen via a streaming format, so I'm not expecting this to affect when the reveals happen at all.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Pertaining to the virus, it all depends on how containment of it goes in the coming weeks and months.

Reveals can still happen via a streaming format, so I'm not expecting this to affect when the reveals happen at all.
That is what I was hoping.

I don't see why ND can't just release a 15 minute online youtube gameplay clip, edited or not. Within the next few weeks. A shortened online version of what was meant to be played at PAX.

We shall see I guess, I do hope a PS5 conference actually happens though and not so much a direct ONLY for it. I want a 2 hour stage presence with meaty AAA reveals.

Oct 25, 2017
At first I was like

I was cynical about mentions of the virus outbreak around these parts for how it wouldn't be understood, embarrassingly so, in threads like this.

But no, if it's going to educate the wider public on the facts and real world implications than I'm glad the message can get out that way.

Those in the areas affected should take all necessary precautions Some effects won't be known in the short term and it will absolutely affect many industries in Asia and SE Asia, not just game dev.

Those who aren't and are unaware of what's going on should ask questions and respect the fact it's literally unfolding before everyone's eyes.

But now I'm like

Lot of mean-spirited comments in here for no reason.

No, there is a clear subset of folk who consider the first three past Sony consoles the beginning and end of "the old".

You know, like this place and how it considers only the future Sony console as "the new".

Every site needs to educate its readers about the spread of this virus, no exceptions.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

I don't see why ND can't just release a 15 minute online youtube gameplay clip, edited or not. Within the next few weeks. A shortened online version of what was meant to be played at PAX.

We shall see I guess, I do hope a PS5 conference actually happens though and not so much a direct ONLY for it. I want a 2 hour stage presence with meaty AAA reveals.

I would imagine Sony could have had a bunch of trailers ready to drop to coincide with PAX, so that might still happen on the date it was supposed to. Whether they're going to generate new content on top of that now that they're not attending, I find that less likely.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a real risk? Should all other events in NA be cancelled too?

No this is paranoia, If these events were being held in China then they would be canceled. If held anywhere else (like the US) there's precautionary measures that should be taken (like don't attend if you have a fever or cold like symptoms i.e. coughing/sneezing) and wash your hands a lot.

Manufacturing plants in China are already being affected by the virus, but I don't think next-gen will be delayed, maybe just supply limited at launch.
The flu has a mortality rate of .001%, coronavirus is bopping around 2500 times more deadly with 2.5%. The reason more people aren't dead is that there's a massive concerted push to contain it and not create a pandemic.
Flu deaths will pale in comparison if uncontrolled.

The seasonal Flu is actually around 0.1% not 1/100th of that (that is misinformation/FAKE NEWS), but it also has the distinction of afflicting healthy populations in economically advanced regions which makes an enormous difference in case fatality rates when compared to the early more noisy data found at the beginning of an epidemic which leads to extremely high uncertainty.

For note other corona virus case fatality rates
Claiming 2.5% is also a little preemptive to the actual science behind things like this as the outbreak is new and basic math (fatalities/total infected) doesn't incorporate any forward looking statistical modeling. Some current modeling estimates have actually placed it as low as H1N1 (which was 0.1%) but as high as SARS ( 10%), but it's way too early to just throw numbers around that are based on too simple of math.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprising after the PAX news. Shame as their studios did some great talks at GDC, but as said already better safe than sorry.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a chance Sony could reevaluate going to E3 after the recent cancellations or is it to late for that?

I don't see it happening, but I'm curious if it would even be possible this late.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
The seasonal Flu is actually around 0.1% not 1/100th of that (that is misinformation/FAKE NEWS), but it also has the distinction of afflicting healthy populations in economically advanced regions which makes an enormous difference in case fatality rates when compared to the early more noisy data found at the beginning of an epidemic which leads to extremely high uncertainty.

For note other corona virus case fatality rates
Claiming 2.5% is also a little preemptive to the actual science behind things like this as the outbreak is new and basic math (fatalities/total infected) doesn't incorporate any forward looking statistical modeling. Some current modeling estimates have actually placed it as low as H1N1 (which was 0.1%) but as high as 10%, it's way too early to just through numbers around that are based on too simple of math.
You also need to look at the rate across age groups.

China released a breakdown the other day, and whilst the average sits around 2% for under 40s it is just 0.2%. I think it was 0.6% for 40-50. Only once you go above 60 does it really start to ramp up, 15% for over 80s. I suspect that distribution is similar in seasonal flu as well.

But of course no matter how low - that 0.0001% has to be someone, and it could be you. So if you feel that's not worth risking, I guess don't risk it.

Is there a chance Sony could reevaluate going to E3 after the recent cancellations or is it to late for that?
PAX East was going to have PS4 games that will old news by E3, and GDC wouldn't have anything useful for the public and anything they really wanted to put in front of devs they can easily do by other means. So I don't think so, no.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

I don't see it happening, but I'm curious if it would even be possible this late.

Why? Nothing has changed as far as their reasons to skip E3. While I suppose anything is possible I can't see any scenario where they'd want to go to E3 this year. They'd probably have to pay even more for a late booking, the optics on that decision to the public wouldn't play very well and would make them look indecisive and weak. There's no upside to going back to E3 this year versus just hosting their own event like a PS Experience event in May or June instead.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking good

There's way too much unknown about this virus right now. Until more information (and a vaccine) is available, limiting your employees from contact with thousands of international travelers is a sensible thing.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised at all. And I think they're right to do so. Put your health first.

I wouldn't be surprised if E3 is cancelled altogether or delayed if Corona continues.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
We are not attending E3 but we will share our passion and love for games in dozens event throughout the year.

Shame that Sony wont be able to do any of that this year. This of course isnt their fault, but I sure hope they do something else for their fanbase.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Wait are people legit saying they're canceling because PS5? This seems to be a very odd take if being serious. Sony is being overly cautious imo but they aren't canceling events because of some conspiracy.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
I don't think Sony (or Facebook for that matter) have some ulterior motive or anything for doing this. But given the public information available on the disease (and unless Sony have some internal access to info from the CCP has or something, presumably they know about as much as we do), then this just strikes me as utterly paranoid nonsense. Might as well close every sony office in a major city at that point.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As CONSUMERS we have the RIGHT to know the info that they were going to SHOW TO US!!!

I say if we don't still get the INFO, we CONSUMERS should RISE UP and SCREAM at SONY for the INFORMATION we have the RIGHT to KNOW!!!!!!

WHO'S WITH ME?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?vbvbvbvbcbcbcbvbvbv

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
As CONSUMERS we have the RIGHT to know the info that they were going to SHOW TO US!!!

I say if we don't still get the INFO, we CONSUMERS should RISE UP and SCREAM at SONY for the INFORMATION we have the RIGHT to KNOW!!!!!!

WHO'S WITH ME?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?vbvbvbvbcbcbcbvbvbv

I am so glad this is sarcasm because there are people out there who seriously think like this

MonMonDad

Dec 21, 2019
Very unfortunate, but expected. Health and safety first.

Jobs of a lot of people in my country have been affected by this virus, too, so I understand. Hope this virus outbreak will end soon so everyone can be back to work normally.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I for one am glad companies are doing the responsible thing.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
CP+, a major annual camera and imaging trade show, was also cancelled a week ago.

Sony and Facebook pulling out of international shows is part of a growing trend towards exercising caution, there's no hidden agenda. Jesus.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

PAX isnt there to show new things but let people demo stuff.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are.. are you sure it is? Cause, like, I can never be sure anymore.

www.resetera.com

“As a consumer...”

Can this get throttled please my god. This is probably the single most annoying thing I see here, and I see it a lot. What the fuck does that even mean, for real? You know the basis for this entire forum is consumerism right? Aside from some devs and such (who I would certainly bet myyyyy bottom...