• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Unforced error by Jim Ryan. Janet Garcia nailed it - the snippets read as privilege. How that email got across the various passes and got published is beyond me.
I mean, the boss is the boss. Unless he wrote this and sent it in his own (which is possible, if highly unlikely), I'm pretty sure various teams would have advised against it but they can't actually say "no."
Hence this photo (sorry that I can't make it smaller):

FSmOtu_X0AgZczr

I used to think most Democrats in Congress cared about me too, & I've been voting for 22 years. What's the point of voting for any Democrat when this happens? You're throwing away your vote, anyway. They just keep taking our votes for granted. "Vote Blue No Matter Who?" Bullshit.

#AnyBlueWontDo #VoteProgressive #VoteGreen
Please don't post GOP propaganda.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing concerns around women's rights; prior severe ban for dismissing minority issues and workplace abuse
The stakes are pretty high for both sides of the abortion debate. I'm pro-abortion, but I also don't see how this is an issue that's worth coercively reinforcing the "correct" opinion on in a workplace. If you take even a fraction of the anti-abortion side at their word, that's millions that believe fetal life is human life worth protecting. Some of these people work at PlayStation, and every mid- or large-size gaming company. There's no consistent and respectable way you can shut up these people while expecting your "right" to express your sincerely held beliefs in other contexts be upheld.

Ryan should've just said nothing probably, but beyond the weird pet shit, the main idea of the statement is fine.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The stakes are pretty high for both sides of the abortion debate. I'm pro-abortion, but I also don't see how this is an issue that's worth coercively reinforcing the "correct" opinion on in a workplace. If you take even a fraction of the anti-abortion side at their word, that's millions that believe fetal life is human life worth protecting. Some of these people work at PlayStation, and every mid- or large-size gaming company. There's no consistent and respectable way you can shut up these people while expecting your "right" to express your sincerely held beliefs in other contexts be upheld.

Ryan should've just said nothing probably, but beyond the weird pet shit, the main idea of the statement is fine.
Nope

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020

You could help educate those people.

CLW

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
User banned (permanent): troll account
How can ANYONE "respect" people that support the killing of innocent HUMAN LIFE!

What a STUPID email!

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We found Ginni Thomas era account!

Back to the topic at hand I get the feeling this might actually get commented on further instead of ignored with Bloomburg and the likes reporting on it.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017

Yes, he should've kept his mouth shut, but the statement is not fine.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe there actually was an internal conflict and that's the reason he wrote the email? I mean why say anything at all if there's no conflict between employees unless he's anti-abortion and by "respect both sides" he really means women should shut the fuck up and let their rights be taken away.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

Spoiler Alert: It was not

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

They don't get to decide what happens to other peoples bodies. It's not fine, there are no "sides".

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

I know you're banned but only the Pro-Life movement uses the term "Pro-Abortion".

It's Pro-Choice.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This shouldn't be drowned out by today's PS+ news so I'm bumping it to say that this should not be swept under the rug and Jim Ryan still needs to go.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shouldn't be drowned out by today's PS+ news so I'm bumping it to say that this should not be swept under the rug and Jim Ryan still needs to go.
The pessimist in me thinks the PS+ thread is going to have more replies than this one by the end of the day.

The pessimist in me thinks many people don't actually care because they'd rather ignore shit like this when it pertains to their favorite platform.

Hope I'm wrong.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
The pessimist in me thinks the PS+ thread is going to have more replies than this one by the end of the day.

The pessimist in me thinks many people don't actually care because they'd rather ignore shit like this when it pertains to their favorite platform.

Hope I'm wrong.
You are not wrong. But at this point if it has not "caught fire" with more mainstream media outlets then it will just fade away with zero consequences

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe I am just being pessimistic but I suspect most people will just forget this and there will be no consequences. Sony never really seems to bear any consequences for the multiple serious sexism incidents that have happened in the last few years

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT

Thanks, this pisses me off so much because they know exactly what they are doing to try and bury this. And certain segments on this forum will just eat this shit up and bury all other news with a smile on their face….

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017

Hope I'm wrong.
No one is going to defend the dipshit, and even most of this thread isn't latching on to the "dogs know their place" line. There's not much to talk about here unless more employees speak out or there's word that it's affecting the Bungie acquisition.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Hope I'm wrong.

I don't think lack of acknowledgement is ignoring, there just isn't much to say. Its the same reason why I don't tend to post in numerous threads on sexual allegations against celebrities. I don't ignore or condone what they do, but what more is there to post about other then fuck them? People also tend to gravitate toward excitement and something new, but again that doesn't mean they are ignoring what happened. How people process information and respond to it is up to them really, and they shouldn't be judged.

May 14, 2021
Maybe I am just being pessimistic but I suspect most people will just forget this and there will be no consequences. Sony never really seems to bear any consequences for the multiple serious sexism incidents that have happened in the last few years
I mean look how little traction the story about Sony suppressing sexual abuse cases got. Youre not seeing people forget these things are happening. You're seeing people not giving a shit.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I mean look how little traction the story about Sony suppressing sexual abuse cases got. Youre not seeing people forget these things are happening. You're seeing people not giving a shit.
I mean I've been trying to remind people on this forum for ages when the Naughty Dog and Insomniac stuff came out so yeah, defo at this point people don't give a shit. The only reason Activision/Blizard and Ubisoft got the backlash was cus at the time people didn't like their games so they were happy to have something to yell at them about. I've almost given up posting in these kind of threads cus it just feels like a waste of my energy at this point and honestly leaves me feeling so depressed and hopeless

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
The new PS plus launches next week in Asia so that's why they're releasing news. Jim Ryan is still an asshole.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Dude is living in his own universe. Jesus christ.

Yes. Instead of Pro-Life it should at least be changed to Pro-Fetis. As a large majority of these pro-life people are also for the death penalty.

They are pro birth. That's it. Who cares how the child was conceived. Republicans are even fine with forcing rape victims to term so they are pro rape too.

I mean I've been trying to remind people on this forum for ages when the Naughty Dog and Insomniac stuff came out so yeah, defo at this point people don't give a shit. The only reason Activision/Blizard and Ubisoft got the backlash was cus at the time people didn't like their games so they were happy to have something to yell at them about. I've almost given up posting in these kind of threads cus it just feels like a waste of my energy at this point and honestly leaves me feeling so depressed and hopeless

People don't give a damn about the workers as long as they keep churning out good games. Been obvious for a long, long time.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised there has been no comment on this at this point. They may just be hoping it blows over.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
If Sony keeps to the same format, Ryan may speak at the Corporate Strategy Meeting on Wednesday. Yoshida might have a line about Sony's commitment to equality throughout the world at the end in the values section
I'm actually surprised there has been no comment on this at this point. They may just be hoping it blows over.
Again, I honestly think that Sony would rather avoid anything public because they don't want to be the first entertainment conglomerate to weigh in on the topic.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's been Sony's entire schtick for a long time now. From the sexist workplace allegations, to the bait-and-switch PS+ conversion bullshit, to this.

They just ignore the issue and it inevitably blows over a week or two later because they know consumers have very short attention spans.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Right on cue, the monday morning good news blog to help people forget..

Oh come on, they've been planning this service rollout for over a year and it launches next month. This blog post has probably been planned for today for months, not as a response to some dumbass shit Ryan said last week

Keep the heat on them, but let's be realistic about things

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed that some people seem to be lumping this email with Jim's other comments as if this is a continuation. They are in no way comparable!

Jim saying "why would someone play GT from ps1 when they have GT on PS4?" which is his most contentious comment before this, is in no way comparable to being all 'both sides' regarding abortion.