• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
While PlayStation Chairman Shawn Layden spoke with Game Informer he said this

"I don't want to put too fine a point on this because it might upset some of the people I work with, but I think effectively, we're looking at kind of a post-console world where you can have quality gaming experiences across a variety of technologies. Sure, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro provide what, of course, we think is the best gaming experience, but the other consoles out there, be it Nintendo Switch, Xbox One X, or tablets, or phones — there are great experiences across all these. What we need to do is recognize all that. We're not little gaming ghettos that are not federated or aligned at all. We're all part of the same gaming community, we just come at it through different doorways. I think the future will be an extension of that metaphor. Your platform is not your hideaway. It's just your doorway to all these other gamer folk."

I find this to be an interesting quote with XCloud and Google Streaming to be a big topic for the next few weeks. I do think its important to note here that he is talking about an extension to consoles, but he views gaming going forward as a doorway that can be entered in several different ways rather than everybody only get a console to access an ecosystem.

https://www.windowscentral.com/play...ndo-switch-predicts-post-console-gaming-world

Original Interview - https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2019/02/11/shawn-layden-on-playstation-and-the-future

Last edited:

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's describing exactly what Xbox, PC outfits, and (seemingly) Google are already doing. Sony should hopefully have a path towards that already, at least in concept.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The gaming landscape is going to change and it looks like all platform holders are aware of it and probably prepping for it. Seems very wise

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
hopefully that future wont be for a good long while(10 years). at that point, the publishers become nothing more than vehicles. they wont be able to hold onto the relevancy of hardware after that and will turn into the often maligned subscription service streaming only model where they fully dictate the terms of the service

OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Where exactly does this PR speak predicts post-console world?
I don't want to put too fine a point on this because it might upset some of the people I work with, but I think effectively, we're looking at kind of a post-console world where you can have quality gaming experiences across a variety of technologies. I think the future will be an extension of that metaphor. Your platform is not your hideaway. It's just your doorway to all these other gamer folk."

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who thinks Sony is going to forever confine themselves to their 80-100 million peak userbase is kidding themselves. There's a big pie out there, everyone wants a slice.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Aren't these quotes from a month ago? Pretty sure we had a similar thread.

Edit: Yeah, it's referencing the GameInformer interview from Feb 11.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
So what he's saying all consoles will be able to play all games? Even Nintendo's?

Sorry, don't buy it.

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
This is a month old, the Game Informer article that the quote's taken from was posted on February 11th. I'm sure we've had a thread about it.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
He's describing exactly what Xbox, PC outfits, and (seemingly) Google are already doing. Sony should hopefully have a path towards that already, at least in concept.
Umm..Sony already has PSNow + they've allowed streaming of PS4 games on different platforms like PC & Vita (and I'm pretty sure they are aiming for iOS/Android support for at least PS Now). They've been ahead of the curve for a long time with this. Of course that's not to say MS & Google can't have some breakthrough with technology they've achieved or difference in how the service works that make them better than Sony's offerings, but Sony hasn't exactly been resting on their laurels when it comes to game streaming.

OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
If there is already a thread about this quote, then by all means close the thread. It popped up in my timeline today, and thought it was interesting personally.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
We have a rough idea of what Xbox & Google are going for, but do one anything about PlayStation's future plans?

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Reading the title, it sounds scarier than a post apocalyptic world.
On topic: I would love to not have to buy 3 different $300/400 machines to experience all games available.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
So, what Microsoft has been saying for years.

Sounds like Sony is finally seeing the writing on the wall, but that they have no clear direction and the whole company is not even on board yet.

trippyturtle

Mar 11, 2019
Streaming's promise of being able to play any game on any device will eventually become reality. Never underestimate the appeal of convenience.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
For old games, sure. Xbox and Google are looking towards new games. Xbox is essentially making all Xbox games XCloud ready.

I think it's fairly obvious when you look at the long term vision Sony has for streaming, that they'll be getting to newer games over time - be they as part of the all you can eat catalog, or as an extension to Remote Play of your purchased games, via PSNow infrastructure.

The vision of console games that 'come to you, wherever you are', is something Sony was outlining years ago, long before MS or Google started this kind of chatter.

If you look much more recently, for example at interviews with Andrew House, you see the same themes.

Sony has not yet fully realised that vision, but that vision has plainly been on their radar for some time, and they've been taking a softly-softly approach to building toward it.

I'm confused. Can you not stream PS4 games through PS Now? Was pretty sure you could.

The argument seems to be that because they are older PS4 games in the catalog today, Sony will never evolve things beyond that.

I think that's quite short sighted.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Even though the offering on PS Now isn't the greatest; lets give respect where respect is due. It was the first to market in the console space and they've had the ability for you to stream games remotely from your home console for years now (and just recently updated it for IOS).

It's nowhere near where it needs to be, but lets not act like Sony wasn't one of the first to the party.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can, though their policies on it has held it back so far. Google and Microsoft's approach is much different, and something that can change the landscape of the gaming industry.

I do not agree with that characterization at all especially the degree you're proposing it to be. The only difference is mandating games be on their service. Everything else Sony has already done for years. We don't know what Google's offering is going to be anyway.

The argument seems to be that because they are older PS4 games in the catalog today, Sony will never evolve things beyond that.

I think that's quite short sighted.

I think there's a narrative around here that Microsoft is the first to pioneer this stuff and it's just simply not true. This stuff has been around before even Sony bought Gaikai in 2013.

OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fairly obvious when you look at the long term vision Sony has for streaming, that they'll be getting to newer games over time - be they as part of the all you can eat catalog, or as an extension to Remote Play of your purchased games, via PSNow infrastructure.
I dont think its obvious as of this moment, but maybe you know something I dont. Based off what I have seen from PS Now, it is a library of old games and Sony has yet to put new games on PSNow. Like I said, maybe you know something I dont.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont think its obvious as of this moment, but maybe you know something I dont. Based off what I have seen from PS Now, it is a library of old games and Sony has yet to put new games on PSNow. Like I said, maybe you know something I dont.

Four or five months ago, Sony didn't allow certain PS2/PS4 games to be downloaded on PS4 through the service either.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I don't know anything, I'm just looking about how they've talked about this before. Both at the time of the Gaikai acquisiton, at the time of the PS4 reveal, and in exec interviews in more recent years. They do see cloud streaming potentially as the first big inflection point for game distribution since digital downloads, if not since the CD.

The current incarnation is not the extent of their vision for where that can go. Now has clearly been an iterative project, it has slowly added more and more changes, and I don't think that will stop. I think it's a mistake to conflate the two - the current implementation, and its content and device limits, and the overall vision. There's PSNow as it exists today, and there's the wider long term vision they've talked about. These themes of post-console access to content in a more general sense are not new to Sony at all, and streaming seems to be their main way of approaching that. I think their implementation will look quite different again in one or two years than it does today, especially if and as new competitors like Google start gaining.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Sony literally has to make these changes and follow MS and probably Googles lead. Sony isn't going to go in to next gen with a traditional console only approach when with MS and Google you buy a game or sub to Gamepass and you play your games on PC, phone, tablet, streaming stick, or even TV hardware. That would be a terrible message. I'm not saying this because I'm saying "Sony is dead" or console war bullshit. No, this is the new normal and eventually they would get left in the dust based on market realities. MS are putting consumer choice front and center and people will resonate to that.

OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Four or five months ago, Sony didn't allow certain PS2/PS4 games to be downloaded on PS4 through the service either.
Ill rephrase this a different way. Have Sony talked about putting new games on PS Now going forward? Have they talked about putting their new first party games on their day one? Have they talked about putting new third party games on their day one? Have they talked about putting all PlayStation games on PS Now going forward?

These are real questions, and maybe they have talked about this stuff and Im not aware.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017

Sounds like Sony is finally seeing the writing on the wall, but that they have no clear direction and the whole company is not even on board yet.
Sony was literally in the "console streaming space" before anyone else with PSNow. Not to mention utilization of of remote play and now being able to play PS4 games on iOS.

OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know anything, I'm just looking about how they've talked about this before. Both at the time of the Gaikai acquisiton, at the time of the PS4 reveal, and in exec interviews in more recent years. They do see cloud streaming potentially as the first big inflection point for game distribution since digital downloads, if not since the CD.

The current incarnation is not the extent of their vision for where that can go. Now has clearly been an iterative project, it has slowly added more and more changes. I think it's a mistake to conflate the two - the current implementation, and the vision. There's PSNow as it exists today, and there's the wider long term vision they've talked about. These themes of post-console access to content in a more general sense are not new to Sony at all, and streaming seems to be their main way of approaching that. I think their implementation will look quite different again in one or two years than it does today, especially if and as new competitors like Google start gaining.
So you dont know anything more, but you are saying its obvious? Where is this indication that it is obvious? First you were saying it was obvious, and now you changed that to "you think".

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

God I love these posts. "MICROSOFT FIRST". Like Sony bought all the streaming patents, Gaikai and OnLive etc. 7 years ago only because they want to put PS3 games on the PS4/PC and that's it. Hilarious ;D

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018

The current incarnation is not the extent of their vision for where that can go. Now has clearly been an iterative project, it has slowly added more and more changes, and I don't think that will stop. I think it's a mistake to conflate the two - the current implementation, and its content and device limits, and the overall vision. There's PSNow as it exists today, and there's the wider long term vision they've talked about. These themes of post-console access to content in a more general sense are not new to Sony at all, and streaming seems to be their main way of approaching that. I think their implementation will look quite different again in one or two years than it does today, especially if and as new competitors like Google start gaining.
I'm probably missing something but I don't think what you said is obvious at all.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So you dont know anything more, but you are saying its obvious? Where is this indication that it is obvious? First you were saying it was obvious, and now you changed that to "you think".

I think it's obvious yeah, that if the next big inflection point in game distribution is streaming, Sony isn't going to sit on its hands and leave PSNow unchanged from where it is today, while their $20bn business gets encroached upon.

All I'm saying is, this is not a post-MS, post-Google reaction. Go back and watch Sony's 2013 PS Meeting vision. Go and read Andrew House's post-retirement interview. This has been on Sony's radar for years, and yes, I do think it's extremely obvious that PS Now we have today is not the ultimate incarnation of the vision they communicated there or potentially see for cloud distribution of games in the future. Go and look at the iteration on PSNow's offering - yes, it's obvious this is a service on a path that hasn't finished yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.