• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
Neo Geo mini hasn't been cracked yet, it'll probably take a while, Snes mini was cracked on release because it's was the same as the Nes mini.
Fair enough, but it will be cracked... so I'll buy it and play what's there and not worry about whether or not every game on it is a perfect reflection of my personal top ten list for the the PSX because I know that one way or another I'll be loading my own games on it before too long... I still want the HDMI output...

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Ugg i'm going to buy one and i'm excited about it but I would really love to know what is the full list is in all regions. I want to know how much the jp unit will differ (i've got both us&jp snes & nes minis).

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough, but it will be cracked... so I'll buy it and play what's there and not worry about whether or not every game on it is a perfect reflection of my personal top ten list for the the PSX because I know that one way or another I'll be loading my own games on it before too long... I still want the HDMI output...
Storage is going to be an issue. NES and SNES was easier because the largest was like 4MB. PS1 games though, range from 100MB to 2GB... it really depends how much extra storage is going to be on this thing, but I doubt they're going to put an excessive amount. So NES/SNES, you can pretty easily fit 50 extra games, this though, we'll be lucky if we can fit 5 extra games.

There's a chance USB storage might be hacked in, but that's going to take longer, if even possible.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Storage is going to be an issue. NES and SNES was easier because the largest was like 4MB. PS1 games though, range from 100MB to 2GB... it really depends how much extra storage is going to be on this thing, but I doubt they're going to put an excessive amount. So NES/SNES, you can pretty easily fit 50 extra games, this though, we'll be lucky if we can fit 5 extra games.

There's a chance USB storage might be hacked in, but that's going to take longer, if even possible.
Actually it's a lot faster and easier here: the player 2 slot can be used to plug in a usb drive. Perk of the controllers not using a specialized connecter

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
"Iconic and/or critically acclaimed games/franchises"

Symphony of the Night <- probably not gonna happen 'cause Konami gonna sell that disc version
Resident Evil <- probably not gonna happen 'cause 18+
Metal Gear Solid <- Maybe, but no stick, no rumble
Tomb Raider <- Maybe, if the system's gonna be 16+
Silent Hill <- probably not gonna happen 'cause 18+
Spyro <- probably happening, but a remaster will exist
Oddworld <- Probable
Crash <- probably happening, but a remaster exists
Tony Hawk <- no way, soundtrack licensing + Hawk licensing
Xenogears/Vagrant Story <- hopefully and the first actual deep dive game
Twisted Metal <- probably not gonna happen 'cause 18+ + Soundtrack
My thoughts on this list.

A ton of PSone games won't fly because of either licensing, controls or simply because the system had a lot of M rated games.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Actually it's a lot faster and easier here: the player 2 slot can be used to plug in a usb drive. Perk of the controllers not using a specialized connecter
Sure that's possible (like I said in my post), but I don't know what makes you think it's going to be easy. It took like 3 years for the PSTV to be able to use USB storage, we don't know what we're working with here yet.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
What are the odds they haven't finalized the last 15 games due to licensing issues? I mean a ps1 classic had to have FF7 and Tekken 3.

But in my opinion aren't Jumping Flash and Wild Arms sort of incidental games in the scheme of history?

RRT4 is cool but not exactly iconic either. For a racer an entry from GT or Wipeout makes more sense.

"Iconic and/or critically acclaimed games/franchises"
Symphony of the Night
Resident Evil
Metal Gear Solid
Tomb Raider
Silent Hill
Spyro
Oddworld
Crash
Tony Hawk
Xenogears/Vagrant Story
Twisted Metal

My thoughts on this list.

A ton of PSone games won't fly because of either licensing, controls or simply because the system had a lot of M rated games.

Twisted Metal will likely have at least one entry. The games were rated Teen and have had numerous entries on the PSN already. The titles most caught up in music licensing are Twisted Metals 3 & 4, but who on Earth would want those over Twisted Metal 2?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sure that's possible (like I said in my post), but I don't know what makes you think it's going to be easy. It took like 3 years for the PSTV to be able to use USB storage, we don't know what we're working with here yet.
I mean yeah we don't know, but this is an enclosed basic system with a dedicated purpose vs a multi use system with an updating os and WiFi access. Unless the crew who made this went out of their way to be nasty in the encodng(which even Nintendo didn't do ) odds are good of things going quickly. Plus the system has to be open and flexible in some degree due to regional variations which gives hackers a hand

Slayer97

Oct 28, 2017
My interest is fading fast with this thing. I wasn't 100% sold on it to begin with, but pre-ordered anyways in case of a limited stock situation. If they don't announce the remaining games soon, I'll just cancel it. Not really sure it's worth the $100 asking price regardless.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
My interest is fading fast with this thing. I wasn't 100% sold on it to begin with, but pre-ordered anyways in case of a limited stock situation. If they don't announce the remaining games soon, I'll just cancel it. Not really sure it's worth the $100 asking price regardless.
I mean as a gamer, I love the idea of having these mini conoles so easily displayed on my main TV. With the caveat that obviously the real personal end goal is to have a dedicated game room with all of the legacy systems connected.

But until that time, its nice having my modded NES/SNES (soon PS1) sitting alongside the modern consoles so easily. Hoping for the best with this one as well. Would love to mod it and throw 50-100 games on here upscaled to 1080p.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I imagine Sony, like most entities in the video game space, are avoiding announcements this week due to Red Dead being the blockbuster to end all blockbusters for 2018.

In a week, once Paris Games Week is over, you'd really hope for at least another 5 titles to be confirmed.

Oct 28, 2017
PS4 is by far the most profitable console Sony ever had so far. The margin on hardware alone must be big, not to mention PS+, digital and Sony FP doing extremely well this gen.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like just for basic production/packaging they have to have a final list by now or in the next week or so. Maybe they are just waiting for the RDR2 launch window to pass so it gets noticed.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I adored Jet Moto when it came out ... It would be cool if it was included. I'd love to see Tenchu and Syphon Filter, too.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
So weird that they still haven't announced anything. I gotta think that they are still trying to license games even this close to release. What other reason is there??

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that shocks me the most is -- the boxes have to have been printed already. It's crazy no images have leaked. They had to have been put on the container ship awhile back.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
This wasn't ready to be announced, right? Looks like at least the games aren't closed deals yet.
If they're just waiting for marketing purposes, sure it's weird.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Just a random guess but maybe they are waiting for Castlevania Requiem to drop so the inevitable PSone SOTN here doesn't step all over each other.

I don't know why they would hold back dropping announcing anything else but it's the best guess I've got.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I've got 120 games on my Classic NES Mini and 70+ of my favorites on my Classic SNES Mini... I figure I'll probably have fifty or sixty roms loaded on this thing before Xmas anyway, so who the hell cares what it ships with? I preordered it for the HDMI output.

I mean it's cool that you're edgy and all but not everybody is into that hacky nonsense.

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I'm almost 60 years old... and everyone I know hacks their retro consoles... because why wouldn't you? Thanks for thinking I'm edgy though... I suppose it's relative...

No, here we must project our loyalty to the corporations. Seriously, you'll get a ban for talking like that about roms. I was, and now you're next!

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone heard if this thing is supposed to have any networking built in (wired or wireless)? Maybe no games are actually installed until you activate the device online, and then your regional titles are downloaded automatically.

Since some people have mentioned that these probably already have to have been packaged and shipped (assuming the original launch date holds), that's the best way I can think of them still working on licensing or whatever, at this point.

Coríu

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies
Has anyone heard if this thing is supposed to have any networking built in (wired or wireless)? Maybe no games are actually installed until you activate the device online, and then your regional titles are downloaded automatically.

Since some people have mentioned that these probably already have to have been packaged and shipped (assuming the original launch date holds), that's the best way I can think of them still working on licensing or whatever, at this point.

That would make sense, except I don't really see Sony adding to the cost of production with network capabilities just for that.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Nope, they have announced there is no official way to add games. Plus why pay for a WiFi chip

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Its coming out in about a month, no other games than the first 5 were announced yet? Have they state a date when they will announce the full lineup?

Last edited:

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I'd be at least prepared to cancel my preorder at this point, if I had one. It's pretty clear there's going to be at least some garbage filler in this thing. They would've announced the full lineup by now if it the slate lived up to its true potential given the deep PS1 library.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks awful.
I'm not buying this, at least until it's hacked and with the possibility to add my own custom games.

Status
Not open for further replies.