• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Need to see those other titles and need to see analysis. I don't trust Sony with good emulation.

Also that's the bar with N64 Mini. 20 games. (Bonus unreleased disk drive stuff ;))

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yikes....I like the idea but pre-analog stick controllers is pretty tough to be honest.

Also just seems like a way to get more money $120 CAD for 20 games v.s. just bringing back fucking PS1 classics on PS4 already.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sweet. Will make for a nice Christmas present.

Hopefully it'll be as easy to mod with other titles as SNES classic was.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is a Jumping Flash and in what planet is it considered a generation defining classic.

/dansgaming

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I just found out about the PS classic this morning.
As someone who picked up NES classic day 1 and the SNES later in it's release. I'm excited about the PS classic but ... Don't need it. Whatever, I o
Pre-ordered it

Zandareth

Oct 25, 2017
How about instead of paying for another closed piece of plastic we could buy those games for our PS4? great idea, right?

Ugh, i really don't like this trend, it just smells like an easy cash grab.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mind elaborating?

Are you saying the PlayStation isn't a classic console? Not popular or acclaimed enough?
I wouldn't really say it's a matter of being popular or acclaimed.

To me, "classic" sort of implies a sense of timelessness, that you can look back on years later and say "oh man that's a classic" and it's like a fine wine.

It's no secret that most of the games of that gen look and play terrible these days. I feel like the only people young enough to deem this a "classic" are too young to deem anything "a classic" lmao. But hey maybe I'm just being a snobby piece of shit (probably).

I just think Sony could've been smarter about naming this thing, both for that reason and because it's obviously being used by another company to describe their product. Not sure what else they could've used tho. "Old-school"? Lol.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
The uk box looks like it has games listed on the front, but cannot see a high resolution version to find out what it says.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PSOne is sure as shit a more classic and revered console than the N64.
Oh shit did I miss Nintendo's announcement?!

..............................even if this argument mattered, you're wrong lmao. I'm not saying one system had the better games, but I hear a LOT more people reminiscing about playing Smash or Goldeneye with their friends vs playing...Loaded with their friends...or something.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
played all videogames since ATARI, but PSONE is where I get more nostalgic.
I guess first console owned using money saved

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Playing Ridge Racer Type 4 without an analogue stick is gonna be so awkward. Also, I can't imagine MGS without the rumble. If they somehow put in a Gran Turismo (which is unlikely) , the 2nd one would also be really bad without analogue.Otherwise, things like Tekken 3 and Final Fantasy VII are just fine with the original controller. Also, I'm sad that we're obviously not going to get Ape Escape.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts

To me, "classic" sort of implies a sense of timelessness, that you can look back on years later and say "oh man that's a classic" and it's like a fine wine.

It's no secret that most of the games of that gen look and play terrible these days. I feel like the only people young enough to deem this a "classic" are too young to deem anything "a classic" lmao. But hey maybe I'm just being a snobby piece of shit (probably).

I just think Sony could've been smarter about naming this thing, both for that reason and because it's obviously being used by another company to describe their product. Not sure what else they could've used tho. "Old-school"? Lol.

I think plenty of people would disagree with you.

To many people, the original PlayStation has an amazing library.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Wish they hadn't gone for a lowish quantity of games like Nintendo did with the snes. :x

MGS
MediEvil
Mega Man Legends
Resident Evil
Silent Hill

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
How many of yall complaining about no analog sticks actually owned a Playstation? There were only like a couple dozen games that even supported it at all, and out of those, maybe a few that used the right stick. The cost that those things would add to these controllers for extremely limited use makes it totally unsurprising that they'd be left off.

I always go for analogue mode in PS1 emulation on PS3 and certain sections of Crash 1 and 2 are the only examples that are better with a d-pad.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

Lots of the NES classic games are not games that people think look or play great these days and look at how revered of a product that is.

There are absolute classics on the PSOne that stand the test of time. Don't know why you're arguing otherwise tbh.

..............................even if this argument mattered, you're wrong lmao. I'm not saying one system had the better games, but I hear a LOT more people reminiscing about playing Smash or Goldeneye with their friends vs playing...Loaded with their friends...or something.

Yeah this is a false equivalence if there ever was one. You're not even worth responding to.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Let me tell you something.. let me tell you something.

Jumping flash is a classic

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this..."classic"...tho?...

To me "classic" implies a sense of timelessness...as in years later it's still great.

Doesn't really apply here IMO.

IMO PS1 is a classic. It pretty much helped pave gaming (or well even the PS4) as it is today. Most notably I found out while watching the Tomb Raider DF video that they used those games to help innovate and develop engines that we have now.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts

You realize the original PlayStation sold better than the N64, yes? That games like Final Fantasy 7, Tekken 3, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, etc, were immensely popular, right?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

Maybe in America, but I assure you there are many countries in the world where people grew up on Playstation and don't even know WTF "Nintendo 64" is.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really pathetic on sony's part, copying a nostalgia cash grab scam that Nintendo created instead of having proper BC.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It's cool and all sure, but I think now that we have had 2 classic systems out already the hype has kind of fizzled.

I know shortages from nintendo were real, but now anyone can really find those systems in stores. Part of the appeal of the classics was the fact that you couldn't find them for months.

If this was announced 2 years ago before nintendo, it would have broken the internet...now it seems different.

Unless the mod scene is just as easy on it I really have no interest.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You realize the original PlayStation sold better than the N64, yes? That games like Final Fantasy 7, Tekken 3, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, etc, were immensely popular, right?
That doesn't mean they're necessarily looked back on as being "classic" tho. Popularity/sales don't really equate to quality, especially years later.

But that's not really what I was saying to that guy anyway lol.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC

The thread has over 2400 posts within a matter of hours. People have a love for the PS1

Stop trying to move the goal posts and just admit that you were wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.