• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they got to go and have a hands-on with it, and it seems like a pretty underwhelming experience.

With the PlayStation Classic's release less than a month away, I went to PlayStation HQ this week for three hours of hands-on time with Sony's nostalgic mini-console. It plays its selection of 32-bit classics like Final Fantasy VII and Resident Evil: Director's Cut just fine, but the features of the device are pretty much the bare minimum.

Oddly, many of the games on the PlayStation Classic were the European versions. When I booted up Final Fantasy VII, for example, I got the classic "Licensed By Sony Computer Entertainment of America" splash screen. But when I ran Battle Arena Toshinden, Grand Theft Auto, or Tekken 3, the screen said "Licensed By Sony Computer Entertainment Europe."

"Bare-bones" is probably the most accurate summation I can give of the PlayStation Classic so far. There are no special screen borders or graphic display options.

https://kotaku.com/playstation-clas...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

From Eurogamer:
There's nothing by way of rewind feature, or anything much beyond barebones emulation. Perhaps we've been spoilt in recent years by the work of companies like Digital Eclipse, but the lack of options present in the PlayStation Classic is a disappointment.
Hardware:
The PlayStation Classic's controller, meanwhile, is a 1:1 likeness of the original (and that's the original original, remember - this isn't the DualShock that was introduced in 1997, and as such it lacks rumble and those two analogue sticks). It is ever so slightly lighter in the hand, though that's simply down to the fact there's a slimmer cable protruding from it - and at that cable's end is a USB A connector, itself protruding from a plastic nubbin that perfectly mimics the connector on the original PlayStation controller and that slots neatly into place on the console. It really does all look the part.

The console hardware itself has some neat functionality too. Around the back it's powered by micro-USB, and there's a single HDMI out, while on the top of the console the three buttons are all put to use. The power button is self-explanatory. The reset button throws you out of any particular game and into the PlayStation Classic's main menu, while the eject button is used to change discs in games that are split across several CD-ROMs, such as Final Fantasy 7.
the belief is that the same silicon that powered the Vita and PlayStation TV is at work here, and a brief hands-on does little to dent that suspicion.
Software:
There are next to no options - you'll have the ability to enable a screensaver, tinker with power saving modes and language and... That's it. There are no screen filters, and nothing to try and soothe the transition of these games onto TVs that they were never designed for.

The output is 720p, a logical enough choice given the majority of the games here are 244p and upscale fairly cleanly with small black borders either side of the image, but it can't hide the fact that something feels off about how these games look and play. Getting the relatively crude 3D work of original PlayStation games to play nicely on modern displays was always going to be a tougher task faced by Nintendo with its previous 2D-dominated Classic consoles, but the soft scaling doesn't help its cause, and there's noticeable lag - minimally so when playing a 30fps game such as Ridge Racer Type 4, but much more pronounced in 60fps games such as Mr. Driller or Tekken 3. They feel soupy in the hand
This is, at best, a functional take on the mini-console phenomenon, and a cute stocking filler for the coming Christmas period - even if the price doesn't quite reflect that. It most certainly is not a decent emulator, and far from the best way to play this (limited) selection of games.

From GamesRadar:
From what I've played, the PlayStation Classic is a lovely little thing. With a great spread of varied games there's likely a good, solid choice of things to please most palates, and an interesting enough cross section to mean there are no fillers. Combine that with the perfectly recreated experience of using the original hardware and you've got a playable slice of history.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
https://kotaku.com/playstation-classic-plays-fine-but-it-s-a-bare-bones-e-1830294616

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...ogressive,q_80,w_800/si0uuw0i9wxfuv6aiw94.mp4

With the PlayStation Classic's release less than a month away, I went to PlayStation HQ this week for three hours of hands-on time with Sony's nostalgic mini-console. It plays its selection of 32-bit classics like Final Fantasy VII and Resident Evil: Director's Cut just fine, but the features of the device are pretty much the bare minimum.

To be released on December 3, the $100 PlayStation Classic has 20 games from Sony's first console and includes two controllers—not Dual Shocks, but the standard D-pad-only models that originally shipped when PlayStation first hit the shelves in 1994. Like Nintendo's NES and SNES Classics, the machine is a tiny, perfect replica of the original. Unlike Nintendo's machines, Sony's uses a standard USB connection for the controllers.

It's never a guarantee that a plug-and-play system like this will get the emulation right, but from my time jumping around between the PlayStation Classic's games, it seems like this part is good enough. The games look and sound accurate, their mid-90s jagged pixels looking like you could grate a block of cheese with them. (A listing of licenses for open-source software accessible in the PlayStation Classic's menu said that it uses the open-source PlayStation emulator PCSX ReARMed.)

Oddly, many of the games on the PlayStation Classic were the European versions. When I booted up Final Fantasy VII, for example, I got the classic "Licensed By Sony Computer Entertainment of America" splash screen. But when I ran Battle Arena Toshinden, Grand Theft Auto, or Tekken 3, the screen said "Licensed By Sony Computer Entertainment Europe." There are some tiny differences that I could spot in the games, such as having to select a United Kingdom flag from a menu if you wanted Grand Theft Auto's text to display in English. (I'm not sure if there are any major differences buried later in any of the games.)

More at the link.

Emulate me if old.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
"Oddly, many of the games on the PlayStation Classic were the European versions. When I booted up Final Fantasy VII, for example, I got the classic "Licensed By Sony Computer Entertainment of America" splash screen. But when I ran Battle Arena Toshinden, Grand Theft Auto, or Tekken 3, the screen said "Licensed By Sony Computer Entertainment Europe."

That's a worrying quote. Makes me wonder if some games are 50hz

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Gamesradar also tested it..

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/the-p...the-games-it-captures-the-essence-of-the-90s/

From what I've played, the PlayStation Classic is a lovely little thing. With a great spread of varied games there's likely a good, solid choice of things to please most palates, and an interesting enough cross section to mean there are no fillers. Combine that with the perfectly recreated experience of using the original hardware and you've got a playable slice of history.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between the games on this (which weren't even announced until like two weeks ago) and now this, this kind of feels like it was put together in haste, instead of Sony acrually spending the time to make it something g special for their fans.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want to know what version of VII is on it. Because every version of the game after the original PS1 has a horrible audio bug that completely ruins the most intensive story moment in the entire game.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's just me but it seems the gaming press is being way more harsher on Sony for this than Nintendo.

I really don't get why Nintendo is the only company allowed to make classic consoles.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
A listing of licenses for open-source software accessible in the PlayStation Classic's menu said that it uses the open-source PlayStation emulator PCSX ReARMed
uh
Isn't having a very accurate official emulator kinda the point of this? I mean it's fine that they open open source software and all that but with this will make the "just use a raspberry pi" meme even stronger lol

Also don't they now have to distribute their modified source code of the emulator? Meaning whatever changes Sony made to the emulator now go back to the community (which is great)

Also I hope the European games are modified to run at 60 Hz. If not... lmao

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So this is totally getting hacked quickly since it's running on a know open emulater(PSCX rearmed)

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Open source emulator, shoddy UI, lag, and European versions of games.

Did they even actually do proper dumps or do we have the "real" version of "Nintendo downloaded rooms and sold them to you"? Because at the very least they downloaded and are selling a free emulator built by the community it seems.

?????

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like they just threw this together because other companies had success with their Classic line. A real shame.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I can get a better experience on my ps3, not to mention better games.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's some rough looking menu UI. Also, one quick-save wouldn't have been so bad if pressing reset didn't automatically assign it and overwrite whatever you had before.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
So they're the 50hz versions for at least some of the games, seriously Sony?

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Maybe it's just me but it seems the gaming press is being way more harsher on Sony for this than Nintendo.

I really don't get why Nintendo is the only company allowed to make classic consoles.

I wouldn't call either the NES or SNES Classic bare bones though. They had nice UIs and features. Hell the SNES Classic even had Star Fox 2 as an unlockable bonus.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada

The UI looks like it was thrown together in 5 minutes (honestly did they bring back the PlayStation All-Star guy for this?), there's barely any options, only one quick-save slot per game, issues with the text in some games on a HD display.

Not to mention the game selection being very so-so depending on who you ask.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The worst thing is that they are the European versions of the games but they do not have for example the Spanish language.

Games that in Spain were in Spanish.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The UI is the best part IMO. They went in for the nostalgia.

I wanted this as a way to select my games

zsONjdy.jpg

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Pre order cancelled, I'm not paying for fucking shit PAL copies of games

Fucking come on why is this still a problem ,

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm less impressed with the way the Classic handles its "save anywhere" feature. You only get one such slot for each game. When you press Reset, your game will be automatically saved in that slot. Start the game up, play some more, and press Reset again, and you won't be offered a second slot to save in. You'll just be asked if you want to overwrite the game saved in that one slot.
Space is going to be a problem on this thing I guess.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
From Eurogamer:
There's nothing by way of rewind feature, or anything much beyond barebones emulation. Perhaps we've been spoilt in recent years by the work of companies like Digital Eclipse, but the lack of options present in the PlayStation Classic is a disappointment.
Hardware:
The PlayStation Classic's controller, meanwhile, is a 1:1 likeness of the original (and that's the original original, remember - this isn't the DualShock that was introduced in 1997, and as such it lacks rumble and those two analogue sticks). It is ever so slightly lighter in the hand, though that's simply down to the fact there's a slimmer cable protruding from it - and at that cable's end is a USB A connector, itself protruding from a plastic nubbin that perfectly mimics the connector on the original PlayStation controller and that slots neatly into place on the console. It really does all look the part.

The console hardware itself has some neat functionality too. Around the back it's powered by micro-USB, and there's a single HDMI out, while on the top of the console the three buttons are all put to use. The power button is self-explanatory. The reset button throws you out of any particular game and into the PlayStation Classic's main menu, while the eject button is used to change discs in games that are split across several CD-ROMs, such as Final Fantasy 7.
the belief is that the same silicon that powered the Vita and PlayStation TV is at work here, and a brief hands-on does little to dent that suspicion.
Software:
There are next to no options - you'll have the ability to enable a screensaver, tinker with power saving modes and language and... That's it. There are no screen filters, and nothing to try and soothe the transition of these games onto TVs that they were never designed for.

The output is 720p, a logical enough choice given the majority of the games here are 244p and upscale fairly cleanly with small black borders either side of the image, but it can't hide the fact that something feels off about how these games look and play. Getting the relatively crude 3D work of original PlayStation games to play nicely on modern displays was always going to be a tougher task faced by Nintendo with its previous 2D-dominated Classic consoles, but the soft scaling doesn't help its cause, and there's noticeable lag - minimally so when playing a 30fps game such as Ridge Racer Type 4, but much more pronounced in 60fps games such as Mr. Driller or Tekken 3. They feel soupy in the hand
This is, at best, a functional take on the mini-console phenomenon, and a cute stocking filler for the coming Christmas period - even if the price doesn't quite reflect that. It most certainly is not a decent emulator, and far from the best way to play this (limited) selection of games.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

There's no agenda. Sony's product just isn't as good. Even just looking at the libraries the Nintendo classics smoke this one.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I'm incredibly shocked at this. Always seemed like a bandwagon cash grab and not done out of love

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The worst thing is that they are the European versions of the games but they do not have for example the Spanish language.

Games that in Spain were in Spanish.
Because most PSX games didn't contain multiple languages on the disc, instead they had a separate version per country. For example the only version of Metal Gear Solid that is in Spanish is specifically the version that was distributed in Spain and it ONLY contains Spanish. Same with FF VII etc. And clearly they couldn't be bothered to include all the isos and load the appropriate one based on language. meh

Which makes the decision to go with European isos even stupider btw

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's a difference its gonna be called out.

Nintendo set the standard and it look like it wasn't met

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
"Oddly, many of the games on the PlayStation Classic were the European versions. When I booted up Final Fantasy VII, for example, I got the classic "Licensed By Sony Computer Entertainment of America" splash screen. But when I ran Battle Arena Toshinden, Grand Theft Auto, or Tekken 3, the screen said "Licensed By Sony Computer Entertainment Europe."

A lot of games that had Multi-5 (or French at least) seems to be English only, so yeah, it's really disappointing.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

I was on the fence getting this at some point, but that would be the nail in the coffin for me.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm starting to regret telling people I'd like this for Christmas. Bleh, why couldn't Nintendo just announce the N64 classic so I can forget about this.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
My friend tried it earlier this week. I feel like he was beeing a bit harsh in its opinion, but these reviews fall in line with his experience.
I'm still looking to get one eventually.

Mar 17, 2018
Yeah, this is just not even near the experience that emulation is. And it's vastly worse. No thanks. While I see some joy in the 16 bit classics, old shitty ps1 games don't have that nostalgia for me. And if they do they usually look better emulated with a pretty CRT filter.