• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which free gift would you choose?

• PS Classic

Votes: 241 19.6%
  • DS4 controller

Votes: 1,005 81.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
The PlayStation Classic is without a doubt the biggest flop of this generation. I'll start with this tweet,

If you think 30 Canadian bucks is too much for the PS clASSic, I have a better deal for you!

M1xIPUih.jpg

Yes, The PS classic is being given away for free with every purchase of a PS4 OR you can get another DS4 controller instead.

What would you choose? The PS Classic or a DS4 controller?

And does this speak more about PS Classic's floppage or the lack of PS1 emulation on the PS4?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The Dualshock 4 at least has some functional use.

The Playstation Classic is an awful selection of games straddled with awful emulation. Not worth it at any price point.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
This is what happens when you apply the minimum of effort. You get very little back.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that is a tough poll. On one hand, the only games I would ever have people over for are Jackbox (and thus, no need for an extra controller) but the DS4 battery is kinda shitty so having a backup for long sessions has some value....

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony needs to come out and erase this thing from history by finally announcing PSOne downloadable games on PS4..

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I'm honestly glad it flopped.

It was half-assed at best, and Sony needs a good kick in its whole ass every now and then to remind it that just because people play PS4s now doesn't mean they'll definitely play PS5s. They need to stay hungry.

Oct 28, 2017
EE (mobile company) are giving away one free if you purchase a 12 month sim-only contract here in the UK.

Pretty funny how its gone from a premium product to just a freebie.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I don't hack stuff I buy, so for me PS Classic is useless.

Dual Shock all the way.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember a Gamestop employee telling me they had pre-orders and it was going to sell out even faster than the NES Classic.

I was tempted but couldn't pull the trigger without a full game catalog. Dodged a bullet there.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
damn, 130 to 30 in two months.
i would still pick a DS4, love the controller for indie games on my laptop, and recently got an 8bitdo adaptor and use it for switch docked mode too. great dpad, comfy to hold.

I remember a Gamestop employee telling me they had pre-orders and it was going to sell out even faster than the NES Classic.
"limit 1 per customer"

IvJf4by.jpg

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
I fail to see how the free one is a better deal, when you have to buy a PS4 console at $300 to get one of the items for free. The $30 Costco seems like the better deal to me.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how much of this you could count as a backlash to the poor emulation, the PAL games, etc.....

If it were a solid AF emulation device, would it have sold much better? Word of mouth does matter a lot, I guess, but it also might just be that nostalgia for the PS1 isn't quite what it is for classic Nintendo consoles.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Sony for making it so shitty but the device itself is pretty good when you hack it (It's a pretty painless method too). I'd get the PS Classic tbh.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Bleemsync 1.0 has made this so easily functional and amazing. You can add ripped games so easily, and the performance with RetroArch is great. I think at $60 it was good, for $30 it's awesome if you've got a USB drive and a couple minutes.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
That is the problem of not making like the SNES classic which at least you could use the controller as a wiimote attachment with an adaptor on the switch

The DS4 is much more use for your buck

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
yeah like some have said, I would chose the one I could sell for cash. Honestly both of these would sell for about the same price so I would take the PS Classic for like, display or something.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Bleemsync 1.0 has made the PS Classic worth getting, but only at a discount. Otherwise, on its own it is an embarrassing effort by Sony.