• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
zCsvx5K.png

Name: PlayStation Classic
Release Date: December 3rd 2018
Developer: Sony Interactive Entertainment
Price: ONE HUNDRED UNITED STATES DOLLARS
Outputs: 480p/720p
Official Webpage: https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/explore/playstation-classic/

Yes, you will hear the classic jingle when you boot it.

lzOCTHn.jpg

Let's start with the best thing about the PlayStation Classic, the look and the packaging. In a similar fashion to the previous mini consoles by Nintendo, the PS Classic is an extremely faithful miniature replica of the original PlayStation that the fans loved and cherished. Same goes for the original controllers which also looks and feels like the real thing.

W7rTmK1.gif

Features
  • Two original PS Controllers for multiplayer right out of the box.
  • Save States - 1 per games, used by pressing the RESET button
  • You can virtually change discs with the OPEN button for the games that requires it.
  • One virtual memory card per games.
  • Meryl's codec on the back of the box.

The North American and European versions of the PlayStation Classic includes the 20 games listed below.
  • Battle Arena Toshinden*
  • Cool Boarders 2*
  • Destruction Derby*
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto*
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash!*
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr. Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee*
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director's Cut*
  • Revelations: Persona
  • R4 Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3*
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six*
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

*Denotes a title based on the PAL version, no matter the region (US/EU)

Be aware that 9 of those games are the European (PAL) version, which ran at 50hz because of the CRT TV standards of the 90's. The consequence of this decision is that those games will run approxatively 17% slower than what you're used to if you played those in North America/Japan, or will use method that implies skipping frames. This console's package is distributed like this everywhere in the world except for Japan. Japan has it's own list of games and are all NTSC format.

The Japanese version of the PlayStation Classic includes the 20 games listed below. (All titles are NTSC Format for the Japanese release.)

• Arc the Lad
  • Arc the Lad 2
  • Armored Core
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Gradius Gaiden
  • Devil Dice
  • SaGa Frontier
  • G Darius
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Resident Evil
  • Parasite Eve
  • Mr Driller
  • Persona
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • R4 Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Tekken 3
  • Wild Arms
  • Jumping Flash
Full Specs
  • SoC Mediatek 8167A Quad Core Cortex-A35 1.5 GHz / PowerVR GE8300
  • Audio Chip: Mediatek MT6392A
  • Motherboard Sony LM-11 (1-984-020-11)
  • RAM 1GB DDR3-1866 Samsung K4B4G1646E-BYMA
  • eMMC 5.1 16 GB KLMAG1JETD-B041
  • Dimensions: 149 x 33 x 105 mm / Weight: 170 gr
  • Supported resolutions: 720p e 480p via HDMI
  • AC: 5V 1A microUSB
Interesting hacking potential facts:

-Having 16GB of space gives some decent room for extra games, as the original line-up total size is just shy of 8GB, leaving around 7GB of space for more, that is without deleting a single game out of the base line-up, and we all know the first thing most people will do once a hack will exist will be to delete Rainbow Six to oblivion, never to be seen again.

-Striked that first point, there is about 700Mb left if you let all the games in the PS Classic. You'll have to do some clean-up if you want to add games in there without having to resort to external storage.

-These specs depict a device that should emulate the PS1 without issues, at least not this much issues. Perhaps the hacking community could be able to inject a better emulator in the that could better utilize the Hw.

Commercial

Digital Foundry Analysis

FAQ

Is this the best option to play PS1 games?

Well, not really, unfortunately. The original PS1 runs some of those games better on the original hardware itself, even on games in the NTSC format, as shown by Eurogamer. The PSP, PS3 and the Vita/Vita TV all sound like better options to discover or relive the PS1's legacy.

Can I hack this thing to add my own library like the previous mini consoles from Nintendo?

Check out Bleemsync! It is not quite final yet and you cannot manipulate the internal library but it is very functional and works entirely of a USB dongle, it is a matter of days until we get a finalized, accessible version which will grant you accessibility to internal storage, backup, and loads of other features. Be aware that piracy talk won't be tolerated and will be promptly reported. We're talking about ripped games from your own library. If you wonder how you can rip your games, feel free to visit the Ripping Thread! https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...-build-your-own-legitimate-rom-library.37867/

Should I come in this thread to blame others of being part of the problem?

This doesn't sound like a productive idea. People, especially the members of this forum, know exactly what they're getting into when you take into consideration the multiple threads about the PS Classic's shortcomings and the general media coverage about it. I also made sure to be clear about those in this OP. Many people may also be getting the console as a gift during the holidays season (as myself, hah!). It is fair, however, to talk about it's shortcomings and how they affect your experience. Some things like having half of the line up being PAL versions can't be explained and is downright inexcusable as far as I'm concerned.

Why Spend $100 on an PS Classic When You Can Install Emulators on a Raspberry Pi?

People are aware the Raspberry Pi exists, please check this article.

So ERA, what game are you going to play first? I'm overdue for another FFVII run, I used to do one on a yearly basis and stopped in the last few years, this gift makes it a perfect timing to do it during the holiday vacations!

That said, I'm anxiously waiting for a hack to put in my NTSC copies of TEKKEN and RE1 and add Crash, Diablo and Spyro in there! :D

Last edited:

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
You can get all these games (except Tekken 3) on the PS store and play them with much higher quality on PS3, PSP, PSP Go, Vita and Vita TV.
Avoid this hot turd.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can get all these games (except Tekken 3) on the PS store and play them with much higher quality on PS3, PSP, PSP Go, Vita and Vita TV.
Avoid this hot turd.

This is already stated in the FAQ section.
Is this the best option to play PS1 games?

Well, not really, unfortunately. The original PS1 runs some of those games better on the original hardware itself, even on games in the NTSC format, as shown by Eurogamer. The PSP, PS3 or the Vita/Vita TV all sound like better options to discover or relive the PS1's legacy.

I know many are unhappy with it, myself included, but I'd like to avoid pages full of people stating the obvious. People are aware of its shortcomings and I also double made sure everything was listed in the OP.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I have no interest in this in its current state, but I love the idea of mini consoles and would definitely get one if the modding community can fix all of the issues.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ain't no PAL of mine.

Curious how the hacking scene takes to it. A SNES mini like retro system but with 2 USB ports could be great.

Oct 27, 2017
I know people talk about using PS3/Vita/pi or whatever, but having a device that looks, sounds and plays like a PS1, with a great digital library, is something I've wanted for years.

Like many I cancelled my pre-order for this, but I'll pick up another one the minute there's a hack available.

Deleted member 26746

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Already got mine... and what bothers me the most is that I can't charge it from the same TV USB that can charge the Vita TV or the snes mini... not even from my computer USBs... so hacking it will be troublesome...

Oct 27, 2017
Kept my pre-order, but won't be opening it. If there is a hack within the return period window then I will keep it, otherwise it will go back.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kept my pre-order, but won't be opening it. If there is a hack within the return period window then I will keep it, otherwise it will go back.

I'm calling a hack available by next Friday at least. I'm betting to change my avatar for a sad PS Classic for a month if that doesn't happen. :lol

With the effort Sony did put in it, I think this device's security must have received just as much care.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
I know people talk about using PS3/Vita/pi or whatever, but having a device that looks, sounds and plays like a PS1, with a great digital library, is something I've wanted for years.

Bought mine on the pure purpose of having it on my shelf. My PS1 library with the games i really like is backed on my pi for the ease of use.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm calling a hack available by next Friday at least. I'm betting to change my avatar for a sad PS Classic for a month if that doesn't happen. :lol

With the effort Sony did put in it, I think this device's security must have received just as much care.

I am thinking Sony did not put a lot of effort into security if at all on this thing.

Deleted member 47092

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I couldn't resist, having seen some pictures up on twitter. It's arriving shortly from Amazon Prime.

Can't wait to get into them and stream some of the classics. Even though Tekken isn't 60hz, gonna be lit playing with my brother again.

AwareSnake

Oct 27, 2017
The PS1 was my first console and that OG design holds a special place in my heart. I'll definitely get one at some point. Said point being when it's hacked and probably improved.

Oct 26, 2017
Meh, Digital Foundry put the final nail in the coffin for me. Not only does it have a mediocre selection of games, it doesn't play them well either. If you need to go through the trouble to basically wipe it and fill it up with a proper emulator and interesting games, you could just as well use any old emulation box. NES and SNES Classic both have great games that play really well, the only reason to hack them is to add even more stuff.

Among the few games on the PSone that are still worth playing, most are puzzle games, RPGs or fighters. They covered puzzle games decently (I would take Devil Dice over Intelligent Qube, but it's okay), but for both RPGs and fighters they put one good game and one stinker for both genres, when there are so many potential masterpieces to choose from.

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I hope mine's waiting for me at home after work.

Can't wait to ditch the boring looking Raspberry Pi from underneath my TV and put this bad boy on top of my Sky box.

To be played once* and then left to gather dust.

*Until the naughty internet people teach me how to make it worth playing.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Picking it up in a few hours. I'm kinda hyped to beat my brother at R4 on it, tbh.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, Digital Foundry put the final nail in the coffin for me. Not only does it have a mediocre selection of games, it doesn't play them well either. If you need to go through the trouble to basically wipe it and fill it up with a proper emulator and interesting games, you could just as well use any old emulation box. NES and SNES Classic both have great games that play really well, the only reason to hack them is to add even more stuff.
Yeah, what I particularly like about adding games to the SNES Mini is how seemlessly the new games integrate into the system. Since the emulator's decent - not perfect, but pretty good for most intents and purposes - it's viable to use it for most games and use all of the system's built-in features with the new games you added.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want the controllers, but I doubt they'll release them separately. We'll see in time.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I have two ordered and shipped (amazon, best buy). It will look nice next to my adorably tiny SNES and NES

ShadowKoopa

Nov 13, 2017
Canada
As someone who was considering getting this as a way to play these games for the first time, this is very disappointing. The fact that these games don't run smoothly is a turn off especially when I'd be paying $130 CAD + tax. I guess if I want to try some of those games I'll just buy a rerelease on the PS3 or PS4. Which is a shame cause it would've been cool to place this beside my NES and SNES mini.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Got a message from Best Buy, mine is sitting over there ready for pick up. Guess I'll swing by some time today and pick it up. Not really as excited for it as I was when I put in the pre order.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Well, I cancelled my Preorder at Best Buy...and got a message from Best Buy this morning that my order was ready for pick up. I'm not really interested in buying one anymore...any chance these are limited stock?

I may just pick it up and wait to see what happens in the modding scene. If there's the possibility to replace some of the ISO's, I may hold on to it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Looking forward to getting mine in today, while hacking it what I'm really anticipating, I also am hoping the tolerances I've built up returning to my n64 every year will let me get through Jumping Flash and Abe's odyssey first. Also my ps3 went mia and this is a handy and small little piece of cool tech. Also plan to remove all pal games when hacked(well I'll swap tekken 3). Currently working on getting my games off psn(figures out how to download the pkgs, just need to convert those to ISO's) to put on this. And yeah I'd bet on this getting hacked in a few days too

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for mine to come. Will keep it sealed for the period that I can return it to see what happens.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Picking mine up in two hours. Probably jump around the following three first:

• Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Metal Gear Solid (Never played without joysticks so should be interesting)

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Excited to pick mine up after work. I looove IQ, probably jump right into that. And it's been a long time since I've played MGS, I believe it's time for a replay.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are you still getting it Seik?

Yep, it's my GF's gift to celebrate our third year together and honestly, I don't know what else to ask her. She bought one as soon as I told her I cancelled my pre-order because I thought it wasn't worth the money. She saw an opportunity to give me something I don't already have and she jumped on it, can't blame her and I decided not to rain on her parade by asking her to also cancel it. :lol

I'll be playing some Intelligent Qube, Jumping Flash and FFVII tonight! I also intend to hack the thing open as soon as something is done by the hacking community. In any cases, it'll look great next to my NES and SNES Classics.

Last edited:

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Curious to see what the modding community does with this. They may give me reason to purchase one but for now...pass.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
For all the (offsite) complaining I did about the game selection and the whole PAL thing I sure am excited enough to buy one of these day one :P

Gonna play FFVII first thing and then maybe some MGS and IQ later. Two things I am curious to find out though: 1. If I can use the same AC adapter as the NES/SNES Classic, and 2. If the device will output 1080p once the homebrew hacking is underway. (I honestly don't know if the lack of 1080p capability is a hardware or software issue)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Got mine in earlier than expected looking forward to firing it up after an eye check this afternoon.
Curious to see what the hackers have to say tonight after having a day with it

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it. It's only 50 bucks.

I'll keep mine.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think as soon as there's a hacking solution available, I'll feel better about picking one of these up. I don't even necessarily want to add games, just swap out the PAL versions for NTSC and load a better emulator on there if possible.

I'll have $10 at Best Buy from preordering Smash and I believe I have a $5 gift certificate there anyway, so that should be more reasonable.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing Jumping Flash since I picked it up. Didn't notice the performance to be as bad as DF said, to be honest.