• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
It's impressive how fast this is progressing. I should probably start forward planning and get some files ready.

Let's just say the thing will use RetroArch. Is there a way to import saved games? I'll be blunt. I will be adding ISS Pro Evolution Soccer 2. Problem being I'm not14 years old anymore and there isn't a memory card being passed around with an option file on to fix all the player names, like there was when this game came out. However, there's the next best thing: GameFAQs has a saved game file that should do the trick. Is it possible to get this working on RetroArch?

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So how are people actually powering the unit?

I recall when the unit was released people were having problems with powering it from TV USB sockets and even with USB Phone adapters.

Rautz

Oct 28, 2017
It's impressive how fast this is progressing. I should probably start forward planning and get some files ready.

Let's just say the thing will use RetroArch. Is there a way to import saved games? I'll be blunt. I will be adding ISS Pro Evolution Soccer 2. Problem being I'm not14 years old anymore and there isn't a memory card being passed around with an option file on to fix all the player names, like there was when this game came out. However, there's the next best thing: GameFAQs has a saved game file that should do the trick. Is it possible to get this working on RetroArch?
Iirc you need to use a memory card app on the PC to convert this file to a file format that retroarch can read.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
The UI is hard coded to start PCSX. So it'll probably take a while before someone figures out how to make it work with retroarch.

I've just published a development proof of concept for solving this problem so it will absolutely be possible to launch other things from the built in Sony menu, once those other things have been ported over.

I think the futures looking very bright in terms of getting whatever we want running on the system, but I do have reservations as to whether the actual quality of the PS1 emulation will actually improve without some significant development work on the emulator.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how are people actually powering the unit?

I recall when the unit was released people were having problems with powering it from TV USB sockets and even with USB Phone adapters.

I use the power supply+cable from my SNES Classic. :P

Heard the micro USB cable from the Classic was cheap, so I left it in the box.

I've just published a development proof of concept for solving this problem so it will absolutely be possible to launch other things from the built in Sony menu, once those other things have been ported over.

I think the futures looking very bright in terms of getting whatever we want running on the system, but I do have reservations as to whether the actual quality of the PS1 emulation will actually improve without some significant development work on the emulator.

That's awesome! Thanks for doing this! And yeah, I really hope the PS1 emulation will improve.

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
It's bizarre how I actually overheard people talking about this in public on the day it was announced, yet now shelves are literally still fully stocked.

Hope Sony will try with a lineup that actually appeals to people next year, such as that "leaked" list.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Do MGS and FF7 play okay on this? I heard that there's some audio slowdown during battles in the latter, and I know the battle transitions are messed up, but are they fine otherwise?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do MGS and FF7 play okay on this? I heard that there's some audio slowdown during battles in the latter, and I know the battle transitions are messed up, but are they fine otherwise?
I just came out of Midgar at FFVII right now.

Honestly I have no issue with it. The slowdown like in the DF video aren't frequent enough to bother me.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to pick one up. Loaded up R4, and it didn't have any audio for some reason, even in the system's menus when I hit the reset button. I turned it off and back on, and now the audio is just fine. Weird.

Also, really glad I made sure to get a couple of USB extension cords. These controllers feel amazing, but the cords are way too short.

EDIT: Had to turn my system off and on four times before I got sound in Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo. Oof.

EDIT 2: Now it's doing it with MGS. Is anyone else having these sound problems?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to pick one up. Loaded up R4, and it didn't have any audio for some reason, even in the system's menus when I hit the reset button. I turned it off and back on, and now the audio is just fine. Weird.

Also, really glad I made sure to get a couple of USB extension cords. These controllers feel amazing, but the cords are way too short.

EDIT: Had to turn my system off and on four times before I got sound in Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo. Oof.

This never happened to me once, perhaps your unit is defective?

What kind of power supply are you using?

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Did you try with something else? Just in case, who knows. Perhaps plugging it on another HDMI input or using a different HDMI cord, too.
I haven't yet, I'll give it a try tomorrow. I hope it's just an issue with the power supply or something, really don't want to go through the process of replacing it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't yet, I'll give it a try tomorrow. I hope it's just an issue with the power supply or something, really don't want to go through the process of replacing it.

Let me know if you fixed it. :)

The 'old' iphone plug could be an issue. The PS Classic has a blinking red light when the power isn't sufficient but who knows, perhaps your power supply dances on that line and introduces issue like that.

It is just dumb that it didn't come with a proper power supply, especially for the price it's selling for.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In that sense it's also dumb it came with the games it did. 🤣
The library is one thing, it can be good for one or bad for another.

The power supply...powers the unit, it is fundamental to its function. So the practice of not including it, may it be with Nintendo, Sony or whatever, is baffling to me.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I think my audio woes may have been because of the TV I'm playing on. I forgot, but I've had issues in the past with other systems' audio just going out specifically on this thing. I've messed with the settings on the TV (and also changed the power supply on the classic just in case) and haven't had any more issues so far, so fingers crossed that's all it was.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Im all over this thing. But i wanna ask, which option is better, a PS Classic or a Rasperri Pi 3 with psx emulator build into it?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my audio woes may have been because of the TV I'm playing on. I forgot, but I've had issues in the past with other systems' audio just going out specifically on this thing. I've messed with the settings on the TV (and also changed the power supply on the classic just in case) and haven't had any more issues so far, so fingers crossed that's all it was.

Glad to hear it! :)

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

unknown.png

So yeah, there's an early script to change the background to practically any picture you want. God bless the Hakchi modders, man.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
The Beetle PSX core on RetroArch will produce the most accurate emulation of PS1. Keep it mind that it's more CPU intensive than other emulators.

yeah, a fast core 2 duo (like e7300) can handle it at native res,
but for 2x res you probably need an i5 2500 or faster
(dual core CPUs are fine, like an i3, because the emulator only seems to use 1 core, but you need a fast core)
and it's relatively easy to use, but it requires a bios file, and a certain format for the CD image;

I remember emulating PS1 pretty OK, on a Pentium 3 600 with Intel graphics using Connectix VGS back in 2000 or so; but I don't think it's the most accurate thing, but at least it didn't require a bios and could load CDs I think.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017

Regular playing with a TV, no problems.

But when we tried to record gameplay with Blackmagic, audio was messed up. But changing to a Elgato corrected that issue. Do you have some hdmi switches in between or other signal affecting equipment?

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Regular playing with a TV, no problems.

But when we tried to record gameplay with Blackmagic, audio was messed up. But changing to a Elgato corrected that issue. Do you have some hdmi switches in between or other signal affecting equipment?
I think it's just the TV I'm using. If the audio goes out, I can usually get it to come back by fiddling with some settings on the TV. It's an old POS, so it has issues sometimes. I'll need to try playing it on something else before I can say for sure, but I'm thinking that's all it is.

Reddit user F1NATiK just uploaded 1522 covers ready for the PS Classic! This sure will be useful in the coming days! :D

Will add to OP in a few.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CbmCpNch20plSZszZ_MzuFrkAICT4Fo7?usp=sharing
Awesome. I kind of like how the ones on the system look, but at the same time, it's weird looking at them and not seeing the big PlayStation logo on the side. These'll be nice.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
8BitDo is coming out with a bluetooth adapater so you can use DS4 controllers with the Classic. It comes out end of December, so we'll see if hacks will beat it to the punch. I wonder if the existing adapters would work.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Adapter-PlayStation-Classic-Console/dp/B07L334WXC

Thanks Wario64.
image0.jpg

So yeah, there's an early script to change the background to practically any picture you want. God bless the Hakchi modders, man.
For some reason that top one makes me queasy, something about the textures is messing with my head.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Sadly it looks like the adapter only lets you connect one controller, so for two controllers you'll need 2 adapters,

91HxH-1c6ML._AC_.jpg

91bjy2uekuL._AC_.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
The NES and SNES Classic have the same hardware. Yes, they're incredibly easy to hack and mess around with.

If you are in the US, Google Express offers a 20% off first orders. I've seen both Classics available. Depends on your area but do yourself a favor and get one of the Nintendo micro consoles first!

Think you misread my post!

I mean do we think we will see a hacking solution released this week for the PlayStation Classic, that's as simple as the solutions for the SNES.

It feels like we're close..

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if I'd bother with those 8bitdo receivers on the PS Classic, not only do they look horrendous but functionality was frustrating on the Mini Snes (no L3 and R3, needed old firmware for right analog and R2 and L2) and the only reason they were needed was due to the proprietary wii style ports. There's bound to be cheaper usb dongle style receivers that work just as well.

I may be incorrect on this one but yeah, feel like 8bitdo are just cashing in quickly by rebranding their older products in the ps1 grey. They should do a proper job and at least make them look like ps1 memory cards.