• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if you actually put the NTSC version of Tekken 3 or other PAL games that were originally on there, does it actually run fine?
I tried Tekken 3 and it definitely play better than the PAL version.

No, it doesn't run at a locked 60, but it's still way more fluid than what's in there by default. The shortcomings aren't worth driving the whole game down to 50fps like they did.

Godai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For folks in Canada looking to pick one up. Pretty good deal at EB, basically get $43 per $10+ trade in. Going to do this now that's it's hackable.

BlxlMTe_d.jpg

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
So this whole afair got me wondering about the state of PSX emulation/backwards comparability on PS3. Just how is the picture quality on there? Are we talking the original 240p resolution being output as just 240p, of does the console scale things up internally to 720p or 1080p first?
PS3 does not output in native 240p, no. If you want native output, hunt down a PS2 with component cables. Keep in mind that it's a real crap shoot if your modern TV even supports native 240p at all. That's when you start getting into the world of upscalers/line doublers like the Framemeister and OSSC. Watch this video for a comprehensive look at getting the best PQ for PSX titles and what the PS3 is doing.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
PS3 does not output in native 240p, no. If you want native output, hunt down a PS2 with component cables. Keep in mind that it's a real crap shoot if your modern TV even supports native 240p at all. That's when you start getting into the world of upscalers/line doublers like the Framemeister and OSSC. Watch this video for a comprehensive look at getting the best PQ for PSX titles and what the PS3 is doing.

Amazing video, thanks.

Wasn't expecting the same games to have different outputs based on whether it's a disc or digital version, and am kinda disappointed by the latter producing an unsharp and sorta blurry image. Figured the PS3 would essentially make a proper PSX Classic redundant, but that might not be the case just yet.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Decided to give BleemSync a shot with a random flash drive I had laying around, and it worked for Spyro 1 without flaw the first time around, though I had to delete some quotation marks in the .ini file to get my controller working. Gotta sleep soon, but I can't wait to try it with SotN and others tomorrow.

EDIT: Got to very briefly play SotN. I had a weird issue where some text was missing or overlapping, but I think disabling frameskipping may have fixed it— I'll have to play more to know for sure. Otherwise though, it ran really well.

Really glad I bought this thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to give BleemSync a shot with a random flash drive I had laying around, and it worked for Spyro 1 without flaw the first time around, though I had to delete some quotation marks in the .ini file to get my controller working. Gotta sleep soon, but I can't wait to try it with SotN and others tomorrow.

EDIT: Got to very briefly play SotN. I had a weird issue where some text was missing or overlapping, but I think disabling frameskipping may have fixed it— I'll have to play more to know for sure. Otherwise though, it ran really well.

Really glad I bought this thing.
I had the same issues with text on SOTN. Unfortunate but thankfully not frequent enough to bother me.

I just upped the library from 36 to 47 but haven't tested it yet...it's 1AM here and I need some sleep. :lol

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I just upped the library from 36 to 47 but haven't tested it yet.
Do you think you'll sit and play the 47 games, or do you just like knowing they're on there?

When I first got my Raspberry Pi I felt like I had more fun setting up RetroPie than actually playing it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think you'll sit and play the 47 games, or do you just like knowing they're on there?

When I first got my Raspberry Pi I felt like I had more fun setting up RetroPie than actually playing it.

Nah, I don't think I'll play everything, it's just that I have a 64Gb dongle exclusively for it, so might as well fill it up with as much games from my library as I can. :P

Oct 31, 2017
PSX games always looked like crap on the PS3/ Vita TV. The aspect ratio isn't even correct.

I agree on PSX games looking bad on PSTV but the PS3 can run them well.

I saw that one video a few weeks ago and it seems the best way to play those games are via the PSV or PSP but I don't own a Vita and the PSP is too uncomfortable compared to the DS3. Decisions, decisions... Maybe I'll get a PSV or buy a PSone and use it on my CRT ! Or get the mini if the emulator gets better with great CRT filters :D

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
What have been people's experiences with getting the gift card from Amazon? I got on support and they told me that the promotions department would take care of it. 12 hours later, I got an email from promotions saying I was supposed to add a $25 gift card to the order when I bought the PSC, did anybody know this?

They so graciously offered that I could order a new gift card as a one time exception and they would refund it if I gave them the order number. I did that, and now they say they can't give me the refund until I actually receive the order. Ugh, just so many hoops to jump through. This must've been a mistake on their end.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
What have been people's experiences with getting the gift card from Amazon? I got on support and they told me that the promotions department would take care of it. 12 hours later, I got an email from promotions saying I was supposed to add a $25 gift card to the order when I bought the PSC, did anybody know this?

They so graciously offered that I could order a new gift card as a one time exception and they would refund it if I gave them the order number. I did that, and now they say they can't give me the refund until I actually receive the order. Ugh, just so many hoops to jump through. This must've been a mistake on their end.

Amazon sucks more often than not. They didn't explain this in the promo, so I'm sure nobody did it.

I had to prove that they had offered the gift card, by way of a screen shot (that I'd only taken b/c initially I was going to price match Best Buy). Once I did this, they explained that this was a known issue. They ended up crediting my account with $25.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I might order one for christmas since the hacking community seems to be in full swing. So what is recommended to get with it, a normal USB flash drive? Is there some sort of limitation or recommendation on how big to go?

Observation Platform

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018

100%. This is me with my fully modded NES Mini, SNES Mini, Wii w/ HD, 3DS w/ Sky3DS+, DS w/ R4, GBA w/ Flash cart, and a personally curated Retropie. I have literally spent dozens of hours setting them all up, and no real interest in actually playing them.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I might order one for christmas since the hacking community seems to be in full swing. So what is recommended to get with it, a normal USB flash drive? Is there some sort of limitation or recommendation on how big to go?
Here's the list of compatible ones, anything over 64gb requires special formatting though
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1saluXC8jfWhOVT9-JXj1Kd62hL2WGtCX6zErY6AElco/htmlview

Has anyone tried an external HDD instead of a thumb drive?
They work but have to have a separate power source and some certain formatting requirements

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Hey guys, since there's actually a serial number and bar code displayed on the site of the units, is there any issue with returning the system if not the exact one purchased? Are the serials tracked like they are with regular consoles?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok bumped up from 28 to 42 games and they are all working decently(it was quick too, I copied over the old bleemsync, same version, and added just the new game's so all my saves stayed intact) personally I've had no isssues with performance on any of the games(turned off frame skipping that'd it) and have been having a great time and actually playing them

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok bumped up from 28 to 42 games and they are all working decently(it was quick too, I copied over the old bleemsync, same version, and added just the new game's so all my saves stayed intact) personally I've had no isssues with performance on any of the games(turned off frame skipping that'd it) and have been having a great time and actually playing them

Yep, I'm now at 47 and all games I tried so far are working well enough for me.

The only game that has shown issues was Diablo, that's it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, about that, any working cheap USB hub on the market I could buy and use for this?

I did check amazon but ain't sure which to pick, also, most are too big or have too many ports for my need.
Well if you're using it for the controllers any non powered 2.0 or even 1.0 hub should work, 4 slot would be wise as you need the spacing

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
What's the hardware in this like? Does it have decent potential once we get more emulators on it? How's it compare to a Pi?

Debating if I should grab one while they're cheap.

Oct 27, 2017
I have seen these sold at 75$ on Amazon, 65 € on Ebay. Prices are going to lower even more. Such a commercial failure, thankfully there are hacks.

edotherocket

Oct 25, 2017
Would it be possible to get light gun games like Point Blank or Time Crisis running on this thing? Is there any particular peripheral that people recommend?