• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
so do those emulator menu settings stay saved or do you have to set it everytime you turn on the console? I'd imagine that any changes would be saved in a config file like any other emulator.
I was able to access some functions with a Logitech G15 using the "G" Macro keys on the side, and it seemed like any changes to settings such as scaling or framerate were reverted upon reloading the game from the menu, but save states persisted.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
The emulator settings news sounds like it's worthy of a new thread, especially if it allows Tekken 3 to run at 60fps. But honestly it'd probably just get flooded with lazy Sony replies (which wouldn't be entirely wrong)

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Looks like you can bind them though, yes?
I'll have to try that when I find a keyboard that works then. I tried three wireless keyboards I have at home and no luck. So i'm guessing that only wired ones work?
Being able to play Tekken 3 with my arcade stick would be nice. Even though I already have a raspberry pi inside the arcade stick with tekken on it.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
It's crazy how wide open this is. I love that it's open source.

Considering 7-8gb of the internal storage is unused, it might be incredibly easy to dump an additional 10-30 ROMs onto this thing. Crazy.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
So I turned off frameskip for R4 and witnessed a noticeable improvement in the framerate of the menus. Double Resolution scaling makes it look a lot crisper without any noticeable impact to framerate, as well.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Preordered and cancelled shortly before release especially after hearing reviews. I'll reconsider when it's found to be hackable to put a better emulator on it where in turn better games can be put on it. Until then I can wait. Also hope you can put a dualshock 4 or original one into it via usb possibly.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
RitE7rn.png

DS4 playing Metal Gear Solid on a Classic.

Analogs working too, mapped to the d-pad.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Analogs working too, mapped to the d-pad.
So, they are binding the dpad to the analog stick? In that case, the controls are still limited to the 8 way dpad commands, aren't they?

The emulator settings news sounds like it's worthy of a new thread, especially if it allows Tekken 3 to run at 60fps. But honestly it'd probably just get flooded with lazy Sony replies (which wouldn't be entirely wrong)
Well, but does it really? I'd love for someone like Dark1x to take another look into it, considering games like Tekken 3 seem to have problems to even hit a smooth framerate at the reduced 50hz settings.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Someone should check out under the options menu of that thing to see if we can change the texture filtering into Nearest instead of Bilinear as a start.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to say "lol Sony", but there's a real possibility that forcing PAL titles to run in 60hz just messes the games up even worse.
It doesn't.

Gran Turismo PAL could be run as NTSC using an Action Replay cheat device.

Made the game run at 60hz and added Acura (US only Honda brand).

Methinks the data was there to begin with and the flag for NTSC or PAL is literally just a toggle in many cases.

GobHoblin

Oct 27, 2017
None of my keyboards work when plugged in :(

EDIT: If I turn the machine off and turn it on with a Microsoft keyboard attached in port 2, I get a mouse cursor on screen. ESC still doesn't work though. With my other keyboard I get no such cursor.

Last edited:

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
These guys got a dualshock 4 to work with the emulator. You can even access the joysticks.

So... That's two of my issues solved already.
It's crazy how wide open this is. I love that it's open source.

Considering 7-8gb of the internal storage is unused, it might be incredibly easy to dump an additional 10-30 ROMs onto this thing. Crazy.
If you want to go this route, what's the point of using this thing for it?

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
As stated earlier in the thread, accessing the full menu only seems to work with corsair keyboards at the moment.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't have any Corsair keyboard around...I need to try Tekken 3 myself to believe it.

Time to harass the IT department at work! Most of them are into that shit so they'll understand haha!

Can't wait to see more development!

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
It's fun to tinker, of course, and people clearly would enjoy adding more games just like they've done to the NES/SNES Classics.
What i mean is, why not just use a (much) more capable (old/used) PC or ARM device with much more options at this point?
If you add your own stuff and use extra controllers this thing only has disadvantages (maybe outside of the look).

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What i mean is, why not just use a (much) more capable (old/used) PC or ARM device with much more options at this point?
If you add your own stuff and use extra controllers what advantage is left?

I have a killer PC and a Raspberry Pi.

As the above user said, it's just fun to play with this little (official) product and see what it can do. Just like it was for the NES/SNES Classic.

I guess the form factor has a lot to play in this, it's great to play PS games from a mini Playstation. :P

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
If you add your own stuff and use extra controllers this thing only has disadvantages (maybe outside of the look).
Literally just the look. It's a very faithful reproduction of the console's design down to some really fine details, miniaturized. I would actually reckon that it serves the market as a high quality model first, and a video game device second based on the performance. The functionality is there so one could say while presenting it to a friend "Hey it actually works and plays games too! Check this out..." and then they proceed to play a match of Tekken 3, then move on to something else.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll post this here as well:

Detailed thread (in French, that I'll translate) about what is happening with this mess:
https://twitter.com/Zetsuboushitta/status/1069924696647454722
Essentially:
- The system is running on Android using YOCTO
- The emulator is indeed PCSX-reArmed slightly modified but on a very old base, very badly optimized and badly implemented likely due to a lack of time
- Debug mode wasn't removed meaning that you can access it with K75 type Corsair keyboards or different types of Logitech keyboards
- The "60Hz" mode of the debug settings are just interpolating 50hz into 60hz by duplicating frames. aka it's still trash and isn't close to the original experience
- It seems easy to connect the console to a PC and load PC HUBs in it but as of now not to change the games themselves
- Hacking potential seems limited and overall pointless

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Forgot how good the music and overall mood of Intelligent Qube is.

Playing on proper speakers rather than the cheap 19" crt tv speakers I had as a kid makes a big difference.

Oct 27, 2017
Mixed feelings. I'm not as disappointed as a lot of others, because the PlayStation is my favorite console of all time and I love pretty much all of these games (yes, even Twisted Metal 1), but the game selection could be a lot better regardless. Noticed some weird emulation problems too (mainly the FF7 swirl, ugh).

It's very cute. Like the controllers a lot. LOVE Intelligent Qube SO much.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
I'll post this here as well:
The emulator is indeed PCSX-reArmed slightly modified but on a very old base, very badly optimized and badly implemented likely due to a lack of time

This doesn't seem to use libretro according to their OSS list, so it makes sense that PCSX is an older version. They probably picked the last version of the source code from before it was ported to libretro.