• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
It's a shame Sony dropped the ball so hard on this. I watched DF's analysis last night and I was absolutely floored at how awful everything runs compared to actual hardware or the PSP/Vita emulation. I really don't understand why they didn't put the effort in and bring over their in-house emulation; or at the least, literally include the OG PSOne's guts (sans the drive). It's gotta be dirt cheap to produce now, and not having a disk drive would've cut down costs. If they had done this right, it would've been a must-have.

I mean, if you overlook some of the auspicious game choices/omissions.

I'm feeling better about canning my preorder last weekend, it would've been a waste of money.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'll post this here as well:
Um that last point sounds more like conjecture. My train of thought is someone will figure out an override we can load on a usb drive, plug into player port two and then load games off the stick. At least as far as plug and play goes. We're on day one, people have only just started to tweak with this thing

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
The fact this box has so much free storage available and that Sony has numerous first party titles they could have tossed in at no extra cost makes me wonder why they didn't do just that.

Perceived value? Was having a few more B or C tier titles going to hurt the look of the Classic? Personally, I'd be all about having 10 more games even if they were fodder, but I get the marketing optics.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Um that last point sounds more like conjecture. My train of thought is someone will figure out an override we can load on a usb drive, plug into player port two and then load games off the stick. At least as far as plug and play goes. We're on day one, people have only just started to tweak with this thing

I'd like to say give it a month or two and some enterprising bastard will have developed an auto-running jailbreak that you can pop onto a USB stick and crack it wide open.

I'd like to say that because I'm not overly enamoured with it at the minute.

Captain Goodnight

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to cancel my preorder of this....

Is there any chance that modder/hackers will be able to salvage this unit to be good? Just wondering whether I should hold onto the unit or return it. I already have NES and SNES Classic (NES modded with hakchi)

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Forgot to cancel my preorder of this....

Is there any chance that modder/hackers will be able to salvage this unit to be good? Just wondering whether I should hold onto the unit or return it. I already have NES and SNES Classic (NES modded with hakchi)

https://twitter.com/v9938?lang=en
This guy is getting there. yifanlu (he helped the vita hack) is also working on it. It's just a matter of time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact, if you have an animal that loves wires and fucks up your controller's, it is really easy to replace. Someone on Reddit opened one and it's basically just a plugged Micro USB cable. No wonder why the controller feels so light, look at how little there's in there! :lol

68p5v02r0a221.jpg

This is also good to know if you want to replace it for a longer cable, because the OG one is short af.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
It's HDMI only. You can, however, use a PSP Go with a component cable and connect a PS3 controller to it over bluetooth and get proper 240p output of PS1 games with a wireless controller.

PSP Go is a no go :P And there's no component on my Trinitron.

How good looking would be my PSX games if I were to use a PS3 on my CRT using an rgb cable ?

Oh, I've got a broadcast monitor that can handle 240p, 480p, 720p and more. Using a $12 Tendak HDMI to VGA converter I once played TxK on a CRT just to see if it could be done. It's not going to give you proper 240p though.

I can't do that. I basically want to play my digital PSX games on a CRT with a DS3 :D

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact, if you have an animal that loves wires and fucks up your controller's, it is really easy to replace. Someone on Reddit opened one and it's basically just a plugged Micro USB cable. No wonder why the controller feels so light, look at how little there's in there! :lol

68p5v02r0a221.jpg

This is also good to know if you want to replace it for a longer cable, because the OG one is short af.
I don't know whether to be impressed, or to laugh. Cool that cable is replaceable at least.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll post this here as well:

I actually challenged his last point about the futility of working deeper on it. Saying that the old PCSX base could be replaced by a more optimized/recent one that could better use the potential of the hardware and I got this answer.

"It's quite possible to modify it afterwards, once the decryption algorithm on the dumped firmware has been fully publicly documented since yesterday.
Reverse-engineering kept for the moment strictly private between several members."

I wouldn't call this dead.

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
The fact the specs are so much better than the SNES Mini mean this could end up as a lot of peoples emulation box of choice.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I was tempted to get this thing, as I never had a Playstation when I was a pup. (I was more a Nintendo/PC gaming type of kid. Still am, funny enough.)

While I am tempted to get one so I can fiddle with it's innards and see what I can do to improve upon it's base, I also know there are cheaper options if I want to try out the PS1's library.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017

68p5v02r0a221.jpg

OMG the way this whole thing is hacked together is hilarious.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After reading the responses and the reception the product is getting...yeah Sony did the bare minimum as cheaply they could as they could.

I will probably avoid getting it unless it ends up a bargain bin price and homebrewing it is idiot proof as possible.

Playstation put up another vid to push the product, that seems to be getting downvoted (no doubt because of that hot take of a title)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5BWTux05W8

2 hours ago
N64 Classic wins by doing absolutely nothing.

Ha ha, though not wrong should Nintendo ever do a N64.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The USB cable is fine. It's nice to be able to replace it with a custom cable length.

The fact the specs are so much better than the SNES Mini mean this could end up as a lot of peoples emulation box of choice.

Well, it's got to get hacked first.

The android bootloader is locked and signed so it's going to be far from trivial, and all access requires soldering to UART pads on the main board so far.

The keyboard options thing is neat but it's not a hack.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think this is bad? If it works and you wouldn't know about it, why does it matter?
What's so hilarious about the guts of the controller...?

Sorry, I mean the whole package - the fact that it's using a pre-existing emulator, that you can so easily access the settings with a USB keyboard and press ESC, and then the guys of the controller just look funny to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
When this thing gets blown wide open with retroarch it's probably gonna be a pretty good little box, especially for PS1 and below. Considering the Snes Mini plays PS1 games pretty well, this has potential if someone comes up with a user friendly interface like Hakchi2.

Would be intrigued to know how it handles the enhanced resolution option in PCSX as sadly the Snes Mini struggles in that department and it makes games look so much better.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The controller is awesome. It feels good and I love the little USB shrouds on the external ends.

The fact that I can mod with a longer cable so easily is good news.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know whether to be impressed, or to laugh. Cool that cable is replaceable at least.

It is laughable from a manufacturing standpoint.

As a consumer, this is awesome and means a long life for those controllers. Users can just snap it open and replace the cable when problematic.

Also I'm playing Metal Gear Solid right now and I'm doing surpringly better with just a D-pad than I expected. :lol

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I were Sony, to save some face, I would release the data needed to hack this thing quickly. That will boost sales. That is really the only reason they made this thing anyway.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
PSP Go is a no go :P And there's no component on my Trinitron.

How good looking would be my PSX games if I were to use a PS3 on my CRT using an rgb cable ?

I can't do that. I basically want to play my digital PSX games on a CRT with a DS3 :D

Unless they fixed it, the PS3 outputs all PS1 games in 480i instead of 240p and adds input lag over analog connections. 480i looks awful for games so I would love if they had fixed that at some point.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He also posted this blog post: http://www.zopfco.de/entry/2018/12/05/131340
The last paragraph seems to sugest that the less hackable OS (yocto) is probably chosen to protect the copyrighted material(game roms).

The bottom line is this system (as some of us predicted) is orders of magnitudes less hackable than the Nintendo minis.

If the console needs traces scratched and wires soldered to get hacked, plus UART programmers etc, it's going to barely be hacked at all by the public. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope coders start optimizing PCSX ReARMed to make it run a reliable 60fps, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Don't buy this box assuming easy hacks.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
So the PS Classic is not easy to hack, at least Sony cared about security. Oh well, maybe after a longer time people find vulnerabilities.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Apparently there were other games mentioned in a firmware dump that were tested for the console.
https://gist.github.com/xyzz/5861868db529c0866ada8b8dc51380fa
  • >CHOCOBOS_JP,
  • > COLIN_MCRAE_RALLY_EU,,
  • > CRASH_BANDICOOT_EU,
  • > CRASH_BANDICOOT_US,
  • > CRASH_BANDICOOT_2_EU,
  • > CRASH_BANDICOOT_2_JP,
  • > CRASH_BANDICOOT_2_US,
  • > DISNEY_TOY_STORY_2_EU,
  • > DRIVER_EU,
  • > DRIVER_US,
  • > EHRGEIZ_JP,
  • > FIGHTING_FORCE_US,
  • > GRAN_TURISMO_EU,
  • > GRAN_TURISMO_JP,
  • > GRAN_TURISMO_US,
  • > GRAND_THEFT_AUTO_2_EU,
  • > GRAND_THEFT_AUTO_2_US,
  • > HARRY_POTTER_AND_THE_PHILOSOPHERS_STONE_EU,
  • > KAGERO_JP,
  • > KLONOA_DOOR_TO_PHANTAMILE_JP,
  • > KLONOA_DOOR_TO_PHANTAMILE_US,
  • > KULA_WORLD_EU,
  • > LEGACY_OF_KAIN_SOUL_REAVER_EU,
  • > LEGACY_OF_KAIN_SOUL_REAVER_US,
  • > MEDAL_OF_HONOR_EU,
  • > MEDAL_OF_HONOR_US,
  • > MEDIEVIL_EU,
  • > MEDIEVIL_US,
  • > MEGA_MAM_LEGENDS_EU,
  • > MEGA_MAM_LEGENDS_JP,
  • > MEGA_MAM_LEGENDS_US,
  • > MR_DRILLER_G_JP,
  • > PACAPACA_PASSION_JP,
  • > PARAPPA_THE_RAPPER_US,
  • > PARASITE_EVE_DISC_1_US,
  • > PARASITE_EVE_DISC_2_US,
  • > RAY_STORM_JP,
  • > RIDGE_RACER_EU,
  • > RIDGE_RACER_JP,
  • > RIDGE_RACER_US,
  • > SILENT_HILL_EU,
  • > SILENT_HILL_JP,
  • > SILENT_HILL_US,
  • > SPEC_OPS_STEALTH_PATROL_US,
  • > STREET_FIGHTER_ALPHA_3_US,
  • > STREET_FIGHTER_EX_PLUS_EU,
  • > STREET_FIGHTER_EX_PLUS_JP,
  • > STREET_FIGHTER_EX_PLUS_US,
  • > SUIKODEN_EU,
  • > SUIKODEN_JP,
  • > SUIKODEN_US,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_2_EU,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_2_JP,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_2_US,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_EU,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_JP,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_US,
  • > TOMBA_JP,
  • > TOMBA_US,
  • > TONY_HAWK_SKATE_BOARDING_EU,
  • > TONY_HAWKS_PRO_SKATER_2_EU,
  • > TONY_HAWKS_PRO_SKATER_2_US,
  • > VAGRANT_STORY_EU,
  • > VAGRANT_STORY_US,
  • > WILD_ARMS_2_DISC_1_JP,
  • > WILD_ARMS_2_DISC_2_JP,
  • > XEVIOUS_3D_G_JP,

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He also posted this blog post: http://www.zopfco.de/entry/2018/12/05/131340
The last paragraph seems to sugest that the less hackable OS (yocto) is probably chosen to protect the copyrighted material(game roms).
Thanks for this, very interesting read.

I think people are too early to jump the 'It won't be hacked.' train.

It will be hacked, everything gets hacked. All the consoles, DRM protected games, cellphones, get hacked at some point. Just give it some time lol, it's been 48 hours since this was publicly available and clearly peeps are working hard on it.

The only thing that makes the PS Classic 'less' hackable is the different HW and OS than the NES/SNES Classics, hackers have to start from scratch. Guess what, it will be hacked too. It's not even a matter of 'if', more 'when'.

My avatar bet still holds though, if it's not done by next Monday I'll change it for a sad PS Classic. :lol

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this, very interesting read.

I think people are too early to jump the 'It won't be hacked.' train.

It will be hacked, everything gets hacked. All the consoles, DRM protected games, cellphones, get hacked at some point. Just give it some time lol, it's been 48 hours since this was publicly available and clearly peeps are working hard on it.

The only thing that makes the PS Classic 'less' hackable is the different HW and OS than the NES/SNES Classics, hackers have to start from scratch. Guess what, it will be hacked too. It's not even a matter of 'if', more 'when'.

My avatar bet still holds though, if it's not done by next Monday I'll change it for a sad PS Classic. :lol

Prepare your sad Ps classic avatar because next Monday is way too early for a real hack at this point.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018

Your best bet is to get a PSP Go, since that outputs at 240p (a little softer than PS1/PS2 playback but still pristine) and has bluetooth compatibility with a dualshock 3. See the MyLifeinGaming video below at 18:00 -

Though somewhat cryptically, you have to set the PSP's TV output to interlace over progressive. Also bonus points for using the dock to make it a prototype Switch of sorts :D

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Apparently there were other games mentioned in a firmware dump that were tested for the console.
  • >CHOCOBOS_JP,
  • > CRASH_BANDICOOT_EU,
  • > CRASH_BANDICOOT_US,
  • > DRIVER_EU,
  • > DRIVER_US,
  • > EHRGEIZ_JP,
  • > FIGHTING_FORCE_US,
  • > GRAN_TURISMO_EU,
  • > GRAN_TURISMO_JP,
  • > GRAN_TURISMO_US,
  • > KAGERO_JP,
  • > KULA_WORLD_EU,
  • > MEDAL_OF_HONOR_EU,
  • > MEDAL_OF_HONOR_US,
  • > MEDIEVIL_EU,
  • > MEDIEVIL_US,
  • > MEGA_MAM_LEGENDS_EU,
  • > MEGA_MAM_LEGENDS_JP,
  • > MEGA_MAM_LEGENDS_US,
  • > MR_DRILLER_G_JP,
  • > PACAPACA_PASSION_JP,
  • > RAY_STORM_JP,
  • > RIDGE_RACER_EU,
  • > RIDGE_RACER_JP,
  • > RIDGE_RACER_US,
  • > SILENT_HILL_EU,
  • > SILENT_HILL_JP,
  • > SILENT_HILL_US,
  • > SUIKODEN_EU,
  • > SUIKODEN_JP,
  • > SUIKODEN_US,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_2_EU,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_2_JP,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_2_US,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_EU,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_JP,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_US,
  • > TOMBA_JP,
  • > TOMBA_US,
  • > VAGRANT_STORY_EU,
  • > VAGRANT_STORY_US,
  • > XEVIOUS_3D_G_JP,
This saddens me greatly.

Why aren't some of those far superior games in the final lineup?

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
  • >CHOCOBOS_JP,
  • > CRASH_BANDICOOT_EU,
  • > CRASH_BANDICOOT_US,
  • > DRIVER_EU,
  • > DRIVER_US,
  • > EHRGEIZ_JP,
  • > FIGHTING_FORCE_US,
  • > GRAN_TURISMO_EU,
  • > GRAN_TURISMO_JP,
  • > GRAN_TURISMO_US,
  • > KAGERO_JP,
  • > KULA_WORLD_EU,
  • > MEDAL_OF_HONOR_EU,
  • > MEDAL_OF_HONOR_US,
  • > MEDIEVIL_EU,
  • > MEDIEVIL_US,
  • > MEGA_MAM_LEGENDS_EU,
  • > MEGA_MAM_LEGENDS_JP,
  • > MEGA_MAM_LEGENDS_US,
  • > MR_DRILLER_G_JP,
  • > PACAPACA_PASSION_JP,
  • > RAY_STORM_JP,
  • > RIDGE_RACER_EU,
  • > RIDGE_RACER_JP,
  • > RIDGE_RACER_US,
  • > SILENT_HILL_EU,
  • > SILENT_HILL_JP,
  • > SILENT_HILL_US,
  • > SUIKODEN_EU,
  • > SUIKODEN_JP,
  • > SUIKODEN_US,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_2_EU,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_2_JP,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_2_US,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_EU,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_JP,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_US,
  • > TOMBA_JP,
  • > TOMBA_US,
  • > VAGRANT_STORY_EU,
  • > VAGRANT_STORY_US,
  • > XEVIOUS_3D_G_JP,
Toy Story 2 :(((((

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This saddens me greatly.

Why aren't some of those far superior games in the final lineup?

I'd say titles like Tony Hawk or Gran Turismo are not in due to licensing. Others like Parappa may be because of technical issues (If there's input lag, that game can be completely unplayable) and some of the others are just baffling that they're not in like GTA 2 or Medievil.

Last edited:

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Lazy on the emulator
Lazy on making sure the games ran well
Not lazy on making sure it was tough to hack

#ForThePlayers

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  • >CHOCOBOS_JP,
  • > CRASH_BANDICOOT_EU,
  • > CRASH_BANDICOOT_US,
  • > DRIVER_EU,
  • > DRIVER_US,
  • > EHRGEIZ_JP,
  • > FIGHTING_FORCE_US,
  • > GRAN_TURISMO_EU,
  • > GRAN_TURISMO_JP,
  • > GRAN_TURISMO_US,
  • > KAGERO_JP,
  • > KULA_WORLD_EU,
  • > MEDAL_OF_HONOR_EU,
  • > MEDAL_OF_HONOR_US,
  • > MEDIEVIL_EU,
  • > MEDIEVIL_US,
  • > MEGA_MAM_LEGENDS_EU,
  • > MEGA_MAM_LEGENDS_JP,
  • > MEGA_MAM_LEGENDS_US,
  • > MR_DRILLER_G_JP,
  • > PACAPACA_PASSION_JP,
  • > RAY_STORM_JP,
  • > RIDGE_RACER_EU,
  • > RIDGE_RACER_JP,
  • > RIDGE_RACER_US,
  • > SILENT_HILL_EU,
  • > SILENT_HILL_JP,
  • > SILENT_HILL_US,
  • > SUIKODEN_EU,
  • > SUIKODEN_JP,
  • > SUIKODEN_US,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_2_EU,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_2_JP,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_2_US,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_EU,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_JP,
  • > TOMB_RAIDER_US,
  • > TOMBA_JP,
  • > TOMBA_US,
  • > VAGRANT_STORY_EU,
  • > VAGRANT_STORY_US,
  • > XEVIOUS_3D_G_JP,
This is SO sad.
Kula World, Tomb Raider, Crash, Harry Potter (one of the 2 games I grew up with), MediEvil, Toy Story 2...

If these games made it, I would had the PS classic next to me right now. WHY SONY WHY.

And you can't say licensing issues, because I can point to MediEvil and Kula World!