• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
The fact the specs are so much better than the SNES Mini mean this could end up as a lot of peoples emulation box of choice.
When this thing gets blown wide open with retroarch it's probably gonna be a pretty good little box, especially for PS1 and below. Considering the Snes Mini plays PS1 games pretty well, this has potential if someone comes up with a user friendly interface like Hakchi2.

Fingers crossed! It was my hope.

The controller is awesome. It feels good and I love the little USB shrouds on the external ends.
The fact that I can mod with a longer cable so easily is good news.
Yep it does, you just have to use a program like retroarch to program the inputs, had some fun using it with pcsx ironically(don't have a lot of tv access right now)

Indeed, a bonus really - they should make great retro controllers.

The bottom line is this system (as some of us predicted) is orders of magnitudes less hackable than the Nintendo minis.

If the console needs traces scratched and wires soldered to get hacked, plus UART programmers etc, it's going to barely be hacked at all by the public. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope coders start optimizing PCSX ReARMed to make it run a reliable 60fps, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Don't buy this box assuming easy hacks.

I hope you're wrong!

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
So it looks like EmuOnPSP has managed to use an arduino tailored to work as a NKRO Keyboard to access that PCSX menu finally...

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The bottom line is this system (as some of us predicted) is orders of magnitudes less hackable than the Nintendo minis.

If the console needs traces scratched and wires soldered to get hacked, plus UART programmers etc, it's going to barely be hacked at all by the public. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope coders start optimizing PCSX ReARMed to make it run a reliable 60fps, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Don't buy this box assuming easy hacks.
Reading way too much into this... They had to do this exact method for the NES classic originally as well. You have to know how the software works before you can exploit it through software. Until you can do that, you have to dump it via hardware means.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect them to go through the effort to clean up sony's mess. More likely what will happen is that they'll find a way to get retroarch running on the hardware and work with that since it's open source and they can make the adjustments they need in a much cleaner fashion.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Deciphering is happening all over this thing. Slowly but surely, they'll pick it apart and blow it open.

I'm here for the spectacle. It may not happen next Monday, Seik , but it will happen, possibly before Christmas.

I'm even confident enough to say that it'll happen before the year is out.

Oct 31, 2017
Your best bet is to get a PSP Go, since that outputs at 240p (a little softer than PS1/PS2 playback but still pristine) and has bluetooth compatibility with a dualshock 3. See the MyLifeinGaming video below at 18:00 -

Though somewhat cryptically, you have to set the PSP's TV output to interlace over progressive. Also bonus points for using the dock to make it a prototype Switch of sorts :D

Yeah, I watched that video yesterday.

I think I'll either get a PSone or a Vita now :D

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Reading way too much into this... They had to do this exact method for the NES classic originally as well. You have to know how the software works before you can exploit it through software. Until you can do that, you have to dump it via hardware means.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect them to go through the effort to clean up sony's mess. More likely what will happen is that they'll find a way to get retroarch running on the hardware and work with that since it's open source and they can make the adjustments they need in a much cleaner fashion.
Exactly this. The USB port seems to work if you short two pads on the board, which is a little more work than SNES mini's button combo, but not that big a deal.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Your best bet is to get a PSP Go, since that outputs at 240p (a little softer than PS1/PS2 playback but still pristine) and has bluetooth compatibility with a dualshock 3. See the MyLifeinGaming video below at 18:00 -

Though somewhat cryptically, you have to set the PSP's TV output to interlace over progressive. Also bonus points for using the dock to make it a prototype Switch of sorts :D

I've been picking up some PSX titles recently and playing them this way via my PSP go.

Unfortunately I'm playing on a flat panel TV so it's 480p for me. Don't have a place for a CRT at the moment unfortunately.

rJrUmw6.jpg

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Nope it means connecting two points together. Which can be done with a wire than could be removed without having to damage the board.
That's actually really easy and wire is easy to grab. I'm guessing once that's enabled then a usb with new software would be an option to load?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
V9938 Tweeted that he managed to overclock the CPU by 20% and got better performances out of Ridge Racer.

Google Translate: " If you set the emulator's CPU clock to about 20% more, R5 will become somewhat comfortable. " (I assume he meant R4)

I wonder how hotter the PS Classic is when you do that...

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A hacked system by Monday?

By Christmas?

Y'all need to temper the heck out of your optimism.

Actual dev talk minutes ago:

FvRqkox.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

By Christmas?

Actual dev talk minutes ago:

FvRqkox.png

Could you please share who these guys are and where can we see the development being done that they refer to, like that chat and the streams they suggest people to follow?

I'd like to add more info in my OP for those who'd like to follow the progress. This is just a chat screen with blurred names...can't do much with this.

Also, surely these guys aren't alone to work on the PS Classic? I see plenty of Twitter accounts of people working on it and I'm pretty sure those aren't all from a same team, no?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Could you please share who these guys are and where can we see the development being done that they refer to, like that chat and the streams they suggest people to follow?

I'd like to add more info in my OP for those who'd like to follow the progress. This is just a chat screen with blurred names...can't do much with this.

Also, surely these guys aren't alone to work on the PS Classic? I see plenty of Twitter accounts of people working on it and I'm pretty sure those aren't all from a same team, no?

I'm not going to send a flood of people into dev discords that are going to disrupt the conversation. I'm sure you can find them if you look.

I've been following along from the very beginning. Everything is in the discords these days.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to send a flood of people into dev discords that are going to disrupt the conversation. I'm sure you can find them if you look.

I've been following along from the very beginning. Everything is in the discords these days.
I think he's just asking for some context. Like who are these randos and why should we believe them? What is DD for example?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any credits in this thing? I'm still super curious which SIE group put it together?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think he's just asking for some context. Like who are these randos and why should we believe them? What is DD for example?

Precisely, context helps.

I don't necessarily want to share a discord invite or anything, but if there's a stream to watch or something, hell, a name of a team or someone working on it, that would be very helpful.

All I see there are randos saying people need to calm down.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
The fact the specs are so much better than the SNES Mini mean this could end up as a lot of peoples emulation box of choice.
Sorry if I missed it but where did you hear about it having "so much better specs"? Someone said there was negliglible difference between the two

Last edited:

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Poke around in the Hakchi community, you'll figure out who everyone is. It's not my place to drop names.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Those people are devs that made Hackhi and they're the first to say it's way too early to say anything. Don't twist their words, man.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

By Christmas?

I'm not too too optimistic, I'm just playing the odds. LOL (Especially with how this system security is showing itself.)

The end of the year may be a bit optimistic; when the NES Classic was finally broken open, it took 59 days to do it. I still have a little faith.

There are a lot of talented people working on this, more so than the NESC, and I suspect that they will find a solution (for the end user) a lot quicker than imagined.

Again, I'm just here for the spectacle. I like watching things like this go down in real time, same way I did with the NESC.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
The biggest take away for me out of all this is that I wish I could make a Raspberry pi that could actually play the discs I own. is it too much to ask that ps5 can natively play ps1 games? PS3 is decent enough to play my games but I'm ready to move on.

I was hoping the classic would be my foot in the door for a new machine to play ps1 but I don't wanna rip everything just to play it on a sub par emulator machine. Sounds like raspberry pi will be the main way to do this, if only I could figure out a disc drive mod, fit it in a ps1 shell.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest take away for me out of all this is that I wish I could make a Raspberry pi that could actually play the discs I own. is it too much to ask that ps5 can natively play ps1 games? PS3 is decent enough to play my games but I'm ready to move on.

I was hoping the classic would be my foot in the door for a new machine to play ps1 but I don't wanna rip everything just to play it on a sub par emulator machine. Sounds like raspberry pi will be the main way to do this, if only I could figure out a disc drive mod, fit it in a ps1 shell.

I understand the intention, but you wouldn't be much better off with a Pi than with a PS3 if you want those discs to keep spinning. Even the Pi 3 Model B+ won't do much more than running the games at native resolution. (They will however run better than on PS Classic though!)

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if I missed it but where did you hear about it having "so much better specs"? Someone said there was negliglible difference between the two

PS Classic is a mediatek MT8167A SoC running an Cortex A35 at 1.5ghz.

NES/SNES Mini are using an Allwinner R16 SoC running an A7, though I'm having a hard time finding the exact specs, but in general the processor is clocked at the same 1.5ghz frequency.

The graphics are different as well (MALI versus PowerVR) with the Power VR coming out on top.

The PS Classic is using newer hardware and I'd expect it to be decently more powerful but I'm not sure exactly how much. I just don't keep up enough on mobile tech.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know much about hacking but i find it exciting and some progress has definitely been made. I read that this guy

with this tweet says he has root access. What does it mean? Is it close to a real hack?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about hacking but i find it exciting and some progress has definitely been made. I read that this guy

with this tweet says he has root access. What does it mean? Is it close to a real hack?

They have access to log into the system remotely, but I don't think they have full access to it. They mention that the debug messages are out of control and that they are going to do more work tomorrow.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.

Root is an Android term. It's akin to jailbreaking an iPhone.

To clarify, root is the username of superuser commonly found in Unix-based system. To have root access would mean to have a superuser access to a system, which in turn provide the ability to execute arbitrary programs.

The name itself was derived from its inherent ability to access the "root" directory in a filesystem.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Jim Sterling spoke about it and said they put Meryl's Codec on the back of the box.

Best Box Ever.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony fucked up on their security implementation. Like, really basic screwup stuff on signing/encryption. Things are looking way more promising. I'm sure there will be youtube and blog updates within a few hours.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017

First hack complete. No details on how it is done, but this person manually loaded an ISO via USB into the Classic.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony fucked up on their security implementation. Like, really basic screwup stuff on signing/encryption. Things are looking way more promising. I'm sure there will be youtube and blog updates within a few hours.

They fucking used a public key. I'm dying, lmao. Why even encrypt it. The dude doing it was probably done af that day.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I
AM
FUCKING
VINDICATED!

No sad PS Classic avatar for me!!!

*Dances badly doing crazy jazz hands*

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
They fucking used a public key. I'm dying, lmao. Why even encrypt it. The dude doing it was probably done af that day.

"Okay, I'm just going to use this public key to test that everything is encrypting/decrypting correctly and call it a day"

3 weeks later.

"Hey Jim, you made sure the encryption system is all set and ready to go right?"

"Yeah I just need to update the enc..."

"Great! We've shipped everything off to master!"

"... y-yeah, that's good news!"

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would you expect Sony not to fuck up the security as they fucked 90% of the thing. The 10% being the fucking plastic casing and packaging. :lol

Can't wait for the official hack to arrive!

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
So glad I didn't cancel my preorder.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Your tune sure changed fast :)

Great news, I shall start ripping my favorites.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
How would you expect Sony not to fuck up the security as they fucked 90% of the thing. The 10% being the fucking plastic casing and packaging. :lol

Can't wait for the official hack to arrive!
And it looks like it'll be done via usb drive like I predicted too, man I can't wait to improve this thing!

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Note that I'm the person that posted the discovery.

I'll happily admit that I figured that after going to all the trouble to use signed encryption (unlike Nintendo), that they used a private key.

This is like a college freshman intern level of incompetence.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, one assumption that is easy to make is that they wouldn't do something as boneheaded as this. It is like preparing for a massive heist only to get there and the key to the place is just laying on the doormat.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hey guys, is there any yonger youtube streamer out there who doesnt know jack about ps1 and is planning a full playtrough of the first ps1 in this thing? I'm really interested in seeing kids shitting their pant at the dogs like it was 98 again :)

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, enough about the hacks.... how do you beat Akuma in Puzzle Fighter? I can't do it! I breezed through the first 8 fights but he just keeps kicking my ass.