• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shawn6661

Oct 27, 2017
I ll get one when it will able to play Xenogears and classic jrpgs. And maybe when its like 80€ or so.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Screw it, I'm buying one for my Dad just for Metal Gear Solid.

Sadly his other favorite games like Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider are not in it. Hopefully soon..

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I think my ideal list once it becomes easily moddable (and if there's enough space) will be:

• Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Crash Bandicoot trilogy
  • Crash Team Racing
  • Crash Boom
  • Coolboarders 2
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Gran Turismo 2
  • Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
  • Mega Man Legends
  • Mega Man Legends 2
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
  • Resident Evil: Director's Cut
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Spyro the Dragon trilogy
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
That's partially based on what I played as a kid, and partially based on what I know I like nowadays.

And yeah, I think I am gonna wind up getting this thing tomorrow. Having a quick and easy way to play MGS and REDC sounds nice for now.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad that hacking is going well, but I'm not even sure if I'm going to hack mine. I already have a Raspberry Pi and a hacked PSTV, I really don't *need* to hack this. I kind of like it the way it is, warts and all, but we'll see how bored I get with it and what the hacking scene can accomplish. I would really love to use a wireless controller.

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as nothing is hanging out and the UI is seem less. Going to go ahead and scoop one today just in case.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Twisted Metal 1 becomes Twisted Metal 2
Destruction Derby becomes Driver
Coolboarders 2 becomes THPS2

Oh wow the first two are dead on LMAO.

If we can get games to load from a usb that would be just too great. I need SoTN, suikoden 1+2, Dragon warrior 7(disc decay is BAD with this one), final fantasy tactics, brave fencer and legend of legaia as permanent and the rest of my shit I'll throw onto a drive.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I just walked by a stack of 9 of these at my local Walmart.

If I had just a little more expendable cash, I'd have one already.

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow the first two are dead on LMAO.

If we can get games to load from a usb that would be just too great. I need SoTN, suikoden 1+2, Dragon warrior 7(disc decay is BAD with this one), final fantasy tactics, brave fencer and legend of legaia as permanent and the rest of my shit I'll throw onto a drive.

Games are already being loaded from an USB. Hard drives work too IIRC.

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I really hope modders FIX the PS Classic, and not just open it up, throw Retroarch on there and call it a day. I love the mini consoles for being completely pick up and play experiences without any tinkering. Complete with UI and retro presentation.

I love Retroarch on PC, but I'm not looking for that experience on mini consoles.
Only a matter of time though right. Apparently it has better specs than the SNES mini and raspberry pi 3, and people use them for PS1 emulation boxes. Probably will be a case of completely removing everything and installing a completely different OS, I reckon.

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
The UI doesn't break with more than 20 games, so good news.

"so... the actual gameplay in itself is pretty slow. ... let to figure out how to overclock this thing. humm, it's not necessarily in what I would call a playable state for Tony Hot, so ah"

lol, Why? why even bother with this peice of shit rip-off?

--R

Oct 25, 2017
"so... the actual gameplay in itself is pretty slow. ... let to figure out how to overclock this thing. humm, it's not necessarily in what I would call a playable state for Tony Hot, so ah"

lol, Why? why even bother with this peice of shit rip-off?

Because the emulator itself is the problem. New PCSX versions are way more optimized and you could also install Retroarch. Hackers can fix this stuff.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are there any legitimate ways to play Metal Gear Solid other than on this console on Vita? I own it and was able to play it on my PSP and PS3 but I am so out of the loop on Vita that I'm half tempted to open this sucker up rather than return it.

The price of PSOne classics is low enough that I really don't feel compelled to pirate shit.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
So are there any legitimate ways to play Metal Gear Solid other than on this console on Vita? I own it and was able to play it on my PSP and PS3 but I am so out of the loop on Vita that I'm half tempted to open this sucker up rather than return it.

The price of PSOne classics is low enough that I really don't feel compelled to pirate shit.
You may want to double-check, but I think the PSOne Classics release can be played on a Vita if you transfer it from a PS3. For some reason, it isn't one that you can download via the Vita's PSN app, despite it being possible for VR Missions.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I got mine today at work (sent from Best Buy) and I found out when I opened it that it doesn't have an AC cord LOLWHAT.

*I didn't look into this thing very much (obviously)

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I got mine today at work (sent from Best Buy) and I found out when I opened it that it doesn't have an AC cord LOLWHAT.

It's got a Micro USB cable but no power brick. Same as the NES/SNES, it's to be expected at this point tbh

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You may want to double-check, but I think the PSOne Classics release can be played on a Vita if you transfer it from a PS3. For some reason, it isn't one that you can download via the Vita's PSN app, despite it being possible for VR Missions.

Oh it's one of those...yeah I hate the Vita Marketplace. I don't own a PS3 anymore so I'm SOL unless there's a way to brute force access or download it to PC or something.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

… mine came with an AC cord (it's pretty shit quality tbh). It didn't come with a USB adapter, but I have a ton of those.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
An AC adapter from an iPhone should power it just fine, right? Want to make sure since that's all I have laying around.

Oh it's one of those...yeah I hate the Vita Marketplace. I don't own a PS3 anymore so I'm SOL unless there's a way to brute force access or download it to PC or something.
I don't think there is anymore. Sony used to have a PC program (Media Go, I think it was called?) that you could download PSP content to, and I think it also worked for transferring PSN's PSP content to a Vita, but it hasn't been able to connect to PSN for a long time now. And the Vita content manager can't do that either.

I think PS3 is the only way to get it on Vita unfortunately.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Not really familiar with the emulator scene, but could this hack allow a better emulator to replace the one that's on there? Aren't there better psx emulators out there besides the one in this?

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Because the emulator itself is the problem. New PCSX versions are way more optimized and you could also install Retroarch. Hackers can fix this stuff.
Are people basing this off that translated tweet from earlier? Looking at the source posted by Sony directly it is using r22 as the base which is the most recent pcsx rearmed release. I am not able to find any significant improvements beyond this release so if anyone has more info please pass along. As far as I can tell they saw it was from 2015 and assumed it must be years out of date, but that isn't true from what I have looked into.

--R

Oct 25, 2017
Are people basing this off that translated tweet from earlier? Looking at the source posted by Sony directly it is using r22 as the base which is the most recent pcsx rearmed release. I am not able to find any significant improvements beyond this release so if anyone has more info please pass along. As far as I can tell they saw it was from 2015 and assumed it must be years out of date, but that isn't true from what I have looked into.

Check the PCSX branch by Libretro. It's way newer than the notaz source.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Yeah. I just tried MvC and Spyro on it too. Works well.
Once all the kinks are ironed out, it should be a easy plug n play solution.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Yeah. I just tried MvC and Spyro on it too. Works well.
Once all the kinks are ironed out, it should be a easy plug n play solution.

When you have additional games loaded up via USB, how does the GUI handle the extra games?

I'm curious if the interface will just automatically adjust the spacing between each game icon when you go from 20 to 21 titles, to 22, and so on.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
When you have additional games loaded up via USB, how does the GUI handle the extra games?

I'm curious if the interface will just automatically adjust the spacing between each game icon when you go from 20 to 21 titles, to 22, and so on.

The method i used only shows games you have on the usb drive. It's be back to normal if you boot without the USB drive. Because there's currently no way of backuping the NAND, I don't feel comfortable writing anything to it.

Someone on the discord channel tried putting 100 entries in the menu and it works. It'll adjust the spacing.

BTW, I tried Enhanced Resolution option from PCSX menu. Spyro runs at 30 fps at 720p.

Oct 27, 2017
The method i used only shows games you have on the usb drive. It's be back to normal if you boot without the USB drive. Because there's currently no way of backuping the NAND, I don't feel comfortable writing anything to it.

Someone on the discord channel tried putting 100 entries in the menu and it works. It'll adjust the spacing.

BTW, I tried Enhanced Resolution option from PCSX menu. Spyro runs at 30 fps at 720p.

That's absolutely great. Does it run without those hitches and stuttering i can see in the video?

Anyway, this is the 100 Tomb Raider entries on the main menu

IMG_20181207_000601711.jpg

Looks crazy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's absolutely great. Does it run without those hitches and stuttering i can see in the video?

Looks crazy.
LOL

At least now we know that the UI is able handle a LOT of games. I didn't like how the NES/SNES classic handled that, you had to create folders and the console looked liked it did a soft-reset each times you changed folders.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL

Looks crazy.

There is minor frame pacing issues. But honestly not bad. Also I mapped the emulator menu to the eject button so no Corsair keyboard required.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
This is all awesome news. I actually don't mind the line up or the performance of the PS1 classic, but I'm excited to update the line up to my own preferences and wish lists. It's hard pulling out my old PSOne again and hooking it up to a TV.

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
This thread made me dig out my Raspberry Pi last night. Honestly I've no need for a PS Classic, yet I'm still gonna keep it. It looks so good.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts

Thanks for answering all these questions! I need to go buy a Classic soon.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all,

FYI, first hack came out, it's all but fool proof though and you can brick your console if not careful.

Take the time to read the readme first and be sure that you know what you're doing before proceeding.

https://github.com/justMaku/gpghax

Not sure if I should add it to the OP, maybe with a disclaimer? As for myself I'll be waiting for something more accessible, not because I couldn't do it, but because I'm in no rush to hack the thing. Still progressing through FFVII. :P

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Realistically, what can we expect from a fully modded Classic? Would it be possible to get games to perform perfectly, or is that unlikely?

I had recently added homebrew to my PSTV in the hopes of turning that into a more ideal Playstation Classic. So far I haven't tested it extensively, but I had to add an overclocking app as the framerate felt choppy on the game I tested. Furthermore, you have to run an additional app that emulates the original PSP XMB to launch the games. Not the end of the world, but I would have preferred a more instant, nicer looking menu like the NES and SNES Classics.

Also, barf to a corded non-dualshock controller. If they can get a wireless DS4 working, stick and vibration included, then I'll be more interested.