• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing nothing but Armored Core and Gradius Gaiden on the jp classic.
Worth every cent...
err... yen.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Realistically, what can we expect from a fully modded Classic? Would it be possible to get games to perform perfectly, or is that unlikely?

It all depends on what the interested parties intend to do with it.

They could improve reARMed or wipe it off to put a new, better emulator. Or just make the ability to insert games available and be done with it. Some managed to overclock the CPU to get better performance, but is this a viable, long term solution?

Nothing is set in stone yet and peeps are still tinkering with it.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all,

FYI, first hack came out, it's all but fool proof though and you can brick your console if not careful.

Take the time to read the readme first and be sure that you know what you're doing before proceeding.

https://github.com/justMaku/gpghax

Not sure if I should add it to the OP, maybe with a disclaimer? As for myself I'll be waiting for something more accessible, not because I couldn't do it, but because I'm in no rush to hack the thing. Still progressing through FFVII. :P

If you add it, make sure to say this isn't for end users and that it might brick your console if you do anything wrong. If people aren't tech savvy they should wait a bit.

Deleted member 26746

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Already out in the wild

gpghax​
Disclaimer: this can brick your console. Don't use if you don't understand every piece of how it works.​
What if PlayStation Classic, but with a game library that's actually fun to play?​
1. Adding Custom Games:​
Open games/custom.db in an SQLite Editor of your choice. Add new entry to the GAME table as follows:​
GAME_ID = numerical identifier, has to be unique​
GAME_TITLE_STRING = Name of the game​
PUBLISHER_NAME = self explanatory​
RELEASE_YEAR = self explanatory​
PLAYERS = number of players​
RATING_IMAGE = Has to be CERO_A​
GAME_MANUAL_QR_IMAGE = Has to be QR_Code_GM​
LINK_GAME_ID = leave empty​
Then you have to add the actual disc files to the DB. Open DISC table and add new entry per each disc for the game:​
GAME_ID = GAME_ID from the GAME table​
DISC_NUMBER = disc number​
BASENAME = base name for the cue/bin file pair, i.e: SCUS-94426​
Save that file.​
Then you have to add actual game files, go to games dir and create a new folder with the GAME_ID from previous steps, i.e 21. Inside of that directory you need to put at least those files:​
BASENAME.cue (use the BASENAME value from the DISC table, i.e SCUS-94426.cue)​
BASENAME.bin (use the BASENAME value from the DISC table, i.e SCUS-94426.bin)​
BASENAME.png (use the BASENAME value from the DISC table, i.e SCUS-94426.png)​
pcsx.cfg (use the default one from the sample game with id 21)​
Running:​
Put everything onto an empty USB drive named SONY, plug the usb drive into the port 2 and reboot the system. If everything worked fine, you should see your custom game in the menu.​
NOTES:​
If you add a game, navigate to it in the menu, close the console, and then remove said game, upon next boot the console will fail to start. You need to make sure to always shutdown the system with one of the stock games selected.​
If you don't want to/don't know how to edit the database file, you can just replace the empty SCUS-94426.cue and SCUS-94426.bin files from this repo with your game (just make sure you keep the same name for the files) and it should work somewhat fine.​
Credits:​
madmonkey, DanTheMan827, skogaby​

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Hey all,

FYI, first hack came out, it's all but fool proof though and you can brick your console if not careful.

Take the time to read the readme first and be sure that you know what you're doing before proceeding.

Not sure if I should add it to the OP, maybe with a disclaimer? As for myself I'll be waiting for something more accessible, not because I couldn't do it, but because I'm in no rush to hack the thing. Still progressing through FFVII. :P

Please don't put it in OP. the bash file included does not back up the game database before overwriting it. Someone's almost certainly going to break their unit with an invalid regional.db file without knowing how to replace it.

As of now, you should only run games off usb drive by mounting both /GAADATA and /data to /media/Games and /media/data. You can build the usb drive with this: https://github.com/pathartl/BleemSync

Oct 27, 2017
Madmonkey (Hakchi team) is right now saying on Discord he will make some tools easy to use and useful to restore the Classic if something goes wrong. Wait those tools if you don't know what you are doing.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds wise not to rush for most of us.

I think there's already been substantially more progress made than some were expecting at the beginning of this week. By Monday, who knows how this will look again.

GobHoblin

Oct 27, 2017
Any whispers regarding feasibility of updating reArmed on the thing to the latest build yet? Or is that a way off still?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any whispers regarding feasibility of updating reArmed on the thing to the latest build yet? Or is that a way off still?
I think the priority right now is the ability to change the library to whatever we want to.

Tinkling with the emulator should come after, if hackers consider it worthy of their time, that is.

indask8

Oct 28, 2017
What's interesting about this is that it confirm that Sony left an emergency firmware update feature inside the playstation classic, now will it be used ?

--R

Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting about this is that it confirm that Sony left an emergency firmware update feature inside the playstation classic, now will it be used ?

It's true, they left a feature to update the firmware inside of it but, at the same time, there's no way to update it with the specs it has now.

Maybe they wanted to connect it to PSN or something but ended up scrapping it?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

There's no networking built into the console.

It might have been a plan to unbrick returned consoles for refurbishment.

I think the priority right now is the ability to change the library to whatever we want to.

Tinkling with the emulator should come after, if hackers consider it worthy of their time, that is.

I can't think of anything more worthy. It's not worth anything to a lot of us if it can't run games at original framerate like PSP, Vita, PSTV.

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
The Internet seems awash with impatient people over this. Give it a month and there'll be a way so simple that even my Nan could do it.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I remember picking up an original PS1 with a copy of Tomb Raider back in the day after seeing it on a UK TV show,think it was the first 3D game I'd seen,my mind was blown,lol.

Won't be getting one of these though,games from that era have not aged well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bleemsync tool released

https://github.com/pathartl/BleemSync/releases/tag/0.1.0

Here there are instructions

https://github.com/pathartl/BleemSync

Still doesn't have an UI and you to follow instructions carefully but it's better than before.
It's getting there! Won't use this one yet, as I'm waiting to be able to add/remove games in the console. But that's great if you want to play games from a USB dongle.

do we know if we will be able to change saves etc yet i would love to be able to play fire pro wrestling G with english names
Not yet, hackers are still working on making an accessible program to add/remove games first.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's looking more and more like there'll be a software solution by the end of the week then, maybe even by tomorrow night? This is great! Only downside is that it uses up the second controller port, I wonder if you can use a USB hub?

--R

Oct 25, 2017
Retroarch is already working on the PS Classic. Man, this is going really fast.

It's looking more and more like there'll be a software solution by the end of the week then, maybe even by tomorrow night? This is great! Only downside is that it uses up the second controller port, I wonder if you can use a USB hub?

People have been trying to use a hub but the console isn't detecting them. You'll probably have to wait until we have NAND access to add / remove vanilla games.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's one of those...yeah I hate the Vita Marketplace. I don't own a PS3 anymore so I'm SOL unless there's a way to brute force access or download it to PC or something.

UK store has both MGS and VR missions I think - they're on my vita and I don't think I've had my PS3 in use for years now

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I saw several of these at Walmart last night. I guess they're not that sought after (I'm not surprised given what was said here, but the general public doesn't necessarily follow gaming as much as we do).

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I saw several of these at Walmart last night. I guess they're not that sought after (I'm not surprised given what was said here, but the general public doesn't necessarily follow gaming as much as we do).
I suspect part of it is down to Sony putting way more units out there than Nintendo did with the NES/SNES classics initially. Those are now sitting on store shelves (In the UK at least) as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The thing is that part of the general public does at least a quick check on the internet for reviews/previews and those for the PS Classic are all but glowing.

Just one google search for 'PlayStation Classic Review' can leave a bitter taste to the casual Joe. So I can understand why it would sell less than its two prodecessors. That goes without saying that the 20 games aren't really the best of the PS1's era.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Progress!

I love that the intro is still intact, however I hope that, in some ways, retroarch can still be used with the OG interface. Like, the emulator kicks in once you start the game.

The UI is hard coded to start PCSX. So it'll probably take a while before someone figures out how to make it work with retroarch.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The thing is that part of the general public does at least a quick check on the internet for reviews/previews and those for the PS Classic are all but glowing.

Just one google search for 'PlayStation Classic Review' can leave a bitter taste to the casual Joe. So I can understand why it would sell less than its two prodecessors. That goes without saying that the 20 games aren't really the best of the PS1's era.
I think there's something to the idea that Sony was never going to make everyone truly happy with the lineup, though obviously they could have done much better.

There are a lot of casual gamers I know who aren't swayed at all by certain games like FF7, MGS, RE, Tekken etc. that are definitely draws for a more hardcore crowd. I sent the list to my girlfriend and she didn't know any of them. My dad only knew Cool Boarders 2. For them the list would have benefited greatly from having like, Crash, Spyro, Tony Hawk, Tomb Raider, but for one reason or another they couldn't get those. I was kind of surprised that so many people flipped out seeing Toy Story 2 in the emulation files, for example. I figured anything licensed was out of contention, but the layman's not going to realize that.

On the flip side, there's not a huge amount the lineup offers to the more hardcore. There's the games I mentioned, and there's a few like Persona or IQ that have resale values through the roof that it's nice to be able to play them cheaply and legally. But about half of the lineup feels more like Sony stuffed it with whatever they could license. The only downright bad game is Rainbow Six, but it's not exactly the best of the best either.

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
Skipped the Nintendo classics but if hacked I would buy the PS classic for sheer nostalgia. It was my first console :D

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Everything's hackable.

That deserves an avatar quote...

35374.jpg