• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the release of the PlayStation Classic and the other Nintendo Classic consoles I have been tempted to invest but the limitations of systems in terms of the games on offer have put me off. I have decided I would like to look into having my own original PlayStation, launch PS2 and PS3. I just wondered where the best place (preferably serving the UK) would be to buy these consoles?

At this stage in their lives will the lasers even have much life in them and will they be salvageable? My original launch PS3 died after seven years to the YLOD. I just wondered what considerations I should have going into this and if it's worth the investment in 2018.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
The original Playstation is seeing three chineese manufacturers battling out for who can make the best optical block replacement.

So at least the original Playstation still sees some work being done on that front. Playstation 2 is also starting to receive some attention from after market chineese manufacturers.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I think you'd be good with a slim Ps3 if you're worried about the laser going on the older systems. Hell, I've got a 20 year old Saturn that still functions and there's exponentially more Ps3s out there as replacements should the one you own die.

Last edited:

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard original models of the PS3 are much more prone to breaking than the slim versions, though with the added benefit of backwards compatibility. If you own a PS2 I don't know if there's much reason to get anything but the slim model.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
The original Playstation is seeing three chineese manufacturers battling out for who can make the best optical block replacement.

So at least the original Playstation still sees some work being done on that front. Playstation 2 is also starting to receive some attention from after market chineese manufacturers.

Interesting, any more info about this?

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
I have a ps3 and ps4

I would never trade in my ps3 to many classics it makes me wish I had kept my ps2 and 1

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: Well, my "functioning" Playstation only works upside down, but still works nonetheless...

lol

Certainly I don't miss those time because bullshit like this. In my childhood I had (multiple consoles of) a PS1, PS One and a PS2. Until a few years ago I had other PS One unrelated to my childhood, but I let it to a uncle.

Right now I just only have a PS2 Slim, a PS3 Slim and a PS4 Slim. I would love PS4 had the classic games which are accesible to the PS3 and Vita, certainly :(

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Got PS1, PS2, PS3 Slim and a Pro hooked to the TV (thank god for Sony supporting old connections on their TV's) and all working flawlessly!

Last edited:

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Interesting, any more info about this?
Basically each time I buy an optical block replacement for the PS1 either on Ali Express or "Ma pièce.com" (a french website dedicated to electronics spare parts) it's a crap shoot and a guessing to see from which manufacturer I'll get it ... (which is a shame because out of the three there's really only one that nails it perfectly)

On the PS2 front I just received today a revised version of the PS2 network adapter ... and this time around there's a real modem in it rather than just having the HDD connector and the network plug being a fake.

So I'm poking around at that baby with friends right now.

But yeah just go on websites dedicated to spare parts for electronics and Sony playstation 1 does have spare optical blocs being made for it these days.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Basically each time I buy an optical block replacement for the PS1 either on Ali Express or "Ma pièce.com" (a french website dedicated to electronics spare parts) it's a crap shoot and a guessing to see from which manufacturer I'll get it ... (which is a shame because out of the three there's really only one that nails it perfectly)

On the PS2 front I just received today a revised version of the PS2 network adapter ... and this time around there's a real modem in it rather than just having the HDD connector and the network plug being a fake.

So I'm poking around at that baby with friends right now.

But yeah just go on websites dedicated to spare parts for electronics and Sony playstation 1 does have spare optical blocs being made for it these days.

Thanks for the info! good to be aware that only one of the manufacturers is making a decent optical block.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Thanks for the info! good to be aware that only one of the manufacturers is making a decent optical block.
Sorry I can't help more than that though.
On both websites , the optical block always come in the same packaging regardless of which of the three manufacturers made it.
So it's always a guessing game and you have to double check it ...
There are tell tale signs.
Some videos on youtube by guys who repair old consoles must exists in english as well. And they must have a full list of what to check out on those puppies.
At least in French JohnJohn made a detailed list of what to keep an eye out for when buying a new optical block and a replacement PSU for your playstation 1 so we got our asses covered.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
PSOreo, you're in the UK?

If so, to be honest it's a bit difficult to recommend getting into PS1-2 PAL region collecting as the former is 50Hz and quite a large amount of the latter is. You'll be getting slower gameplay and even crushed aspect ratios on a lot of titles

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still have my PS1.2.3 laying around and all are working fine.

The lasers on PS1 are stupidly easy to replace anyway.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I used to do this, but as I got older and started having kids, the clutter started to bother me. Now I just have my modern consoles, PC, and a few classics (Atari 2600, Intellivision, NES)

OP
OP
PSOreo

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well thanks for the mixed comments folks. Does anyone have suggestions as to where I can actually buy the consoles?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I don't know about the UK but I have luck at places like pawn shops, thrift stores, and yard sales. You could also just use Ebay or Amazon.

I have a Playstation, PS3, PS4, PSP, and PS Vita. I also have the classic preordered because I have a problem.

For PS1 games I would invest in a PSP Go, a dock, and a good DS3. This is the best way to play PS1 games according to My Life In Gaming. I just use a Vita for PSN PS1 games but am looking into CFW on it.

*Edit: I want to get a PS2 and the HDMI adapter that just released so I'm on the lookout for one.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I still have my PSone, PS2 & PS3 Slim. The former hasn't given me any issues on the laser front, but I had to replacement my PS3's laser and my PS2's laser scratches discs after prolonged usage (tried most things to address it).

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for coming to this late but right now is actually the perfect time for PS3 collecting. Game prices are in such a great place that you can get a lot of games brand new for dirt cheap at this point.