• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If MS Gets Rid Of The Online Paywall And Sony Doesn't How Will That Affect Your Purchasing Next Gen?

• I will choose to buy an Xbox instead of a PlayStation because of this

Votes: 302 9.8%
  • I will still buy a PlayStation but will now consider an Xbox because of this

Votes: 228 7.4%
  • I was always going to buy both so nothing will change

Votes: 481 15.6%
  • This changes nothing, I will still be buying a PlayStation

Votes: 2,068 67.2%

• Total voters

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
With the rumors that MS might be getting rid of the online paywall I saw a lot of comments in that thread saying Sony better follow suit so I'm curious what the general attitude would be and figured a poll was in order. So if MS does get rid of their online paywall and Sony decides to stay the course and keep PS+ then will that affect your decision on where you'll be gaming next gen?

There's all sorts of discussions that can be had on top of that like how Sony could improve PS+ to make it a better value and all, but I wanted to address the core question.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I don't need an Xbox because I play MS and multiplat games on PC. I haven't payed for PS+ in years because I don't play online games anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
It'll suck to pay for online, just like it always has, but nothing will change outside of that.

PC/Switch/PS5 is too good to pass up.

Mavrick07

Oct 28, 2017
It won't make a difference for me, Plus is usually on sale and you still get "free" games each month unless they plan on changing it. So still has a bit of value. Maybe they could roll PS NOW in to the deal to add some much needed value.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I didn't give a damn when i played on 360, i won't give a damn now, especially since it's been a year where almost every month has been decent/good and PS Plus discounts can be really good.

Aug 9, 2018
you can find PSN online for $30/yr right now. typically $40 tho... thats worth it just for the free games, even if most months aren't great.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If you're speaking directly to "Playstation gamers", you're likely speak to an audience that have no desire to be swayed in the first place.

Nov 14, 2017
I'm like 80% getting the PS5 just because I've lived in that ecosystem and don't want to have to start all over but having free online multiplayer and some of the other "gamer first" initiatives that Microsoft is doing is definitely making me consider an XSX instead.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I'm getting PS5 no matter what, if only for Demon's Souls, but it does cast doubt in PS5 being my "main" console. That said, if it still rules the exclusive landscape like PS4 did, I'll still main PS5.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
It won't change anything, and I'll still pay for PS+.

But I'd also understand if someone who prioritized online games made the switch.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's just more ammunition on the "skip PS5 and replace my PC" pile.

I really don't have any interest in a shitty online tax for a service I will almost never use that only exists to inconvenience me the rare times I want to do something with friends. PS+ is garbage and it's been a colossal waste of my money for pretty much this entire generation.

I'm definitely not buying an Xbox console. But I can always just NOT buy a PS5 too.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I'd probably end up using the XSX as my main console with a Game Pass subscription and having the PS5 for exclusives in that eventuality. Personally I'm still very sceptical that Microsoft is going to give up so much revenue... but if they do I think there's a decent chance Sony will either be forced to follow or dramatically increase the value of stuff like PS+. During the PS3 gen it was worth the price of admission for the PS+ games alone.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I will go where the games i want to play are. So that means PlayStation, and doesn't seem it will change in the short and mid term honestly.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Makes no difference to me. I still don't care about anything MS does. Their platform and games just don't interest me.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't change anything for me. I like the PS Plus game freebies and the added sales prices, so that justifies the service for me already.

However, I will selfishly hope this encourages Sony to throw PS Now in there or do something to increase the value of PS+

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I buy PlayStation systems for the exclusive single player stuff, multiplayer is on my PC so wouldn't really change much.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i have a gaming laptop with free multiplayer for XGS games and buy yearly PS Plus subs.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I haven't subscribed to PS+ with any degree of consistency for a long time now. I used to get a month here and there to feed my Overwatch addiction, but I've completely kicked that now and have been busy playing nothing but single player games since.

So nothing would change for me to be honest. But it would be really nice if both Microsoft and Sony ditched the online paywall forever.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
I rarely play multiplayer games, so whatever. Still will only be getting a PS5. (Until Fable comes out, maybe. Fable was the reason I got my 360 and the only games I ever played on it.)

As long as cloud saves are locked behind PS+, I'll keep paying.

Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Jim just decided to reverse his decision to cancel PS+ because of this threads. Thanks, era.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really playing online these days so it becomes a question of whether I want the 'free' games or not.

I also have a PC so I'm set in regards to MS titles.

kris_ffc

Jun 3, 2020
I don't play online and rarely have PS+ anyway, I'll usually only pick it up if there's a decent free game going that month which more that pays for it, so nothing changes for me.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
That's completely irrelevant to me, tbh. I barely play online, but I like the free monthly games.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I haven't played an online game in forever so it doesn't effect me.

That said: Both Sony and Nintendo should remove their online paywall. It's a scummy practice.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really play online. I have been subbing for ps+ for the games over the years. Not sure if I'll keep it up or not, or if I'll just sub to PS Now. The two services combined cost less than 100 a year if you buy them for sale and come with enough games to keep me busy between my purchases.

fall guys looks like the first online game I've been interested in since MonHn

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Changes shit for me. I prefer the exclusives on Playstation and I think my subscription last until 2022.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I haven't subbed to PS+ in almost 3 years now because the idea of paying for online is bullshit, but I've honestly also lost almost all interest in multiplayer/co-op centric games.

So in the grand scheme of things it changes very little for me.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I buy both but I won`t buy any multiplatt online games on PS5 and quit PS+.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't change anything. I paid for XBL when I had a PS3. I paid for XBL when I played on Steam or whatever launcher. It would save me a small amount of money but won't effect my decision making.