• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'm not sure if this means anything. I've heard the port of the original game involves too many legal hurdles. And a sequel makes no sense considering the poor financial
performance of the original and Insomniac's massive success with Spiderman and R&C.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I would play the fuck out of a Sunset Overdrive sequel.

Hell, I might replay the original one one of these days, it was so fun.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, didn't MS own the rights for this?!
Only the publishing rights. There's a chance those will expire eventually, letting Insomniac port it to PS4 but who knows when that'll happen. For another Microsoft example, I think it took 8 years for their Alan Wake publishing rights to expire.

Edit: Oh wait, no it sounds like Remedy actually bought the publishing rights back from Microsoft.

Edit #2: Or not lol. Going back and reading the articles at the time makes it sound like they did actually expire.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
there was a rumor I read this morning on 4chan about a SoP this month featuring Sunset Overdrive, but maybe the poster just find the trademark before OP?

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
200.gif

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sunset Overdrive is one of my favourite games from last gen. Would love to play another.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible that there is an expiration to Microsoft publishing rights. They could have signed a deal for 7 years(one generation). Rights to Alan wake reverted back to remedy back in 2019 as well and they said they could now bring the game to other platforms.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
You better buy and play this game, if they decide to release a port and/or a sequel.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
As someone who doesn't care about Spider-Man and R&C but really liked Sunset Overdrive i would love a sequel.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe people will give the game the praise it deserves now it's on a Sony console.

Probably my favourite game from insomniac

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
If Insomniac wants to make something Sunset Overdrive related, i'm confident that Sony will let them. It'd be amazing to get more eyes on Sunset Overdrive and potentially get a sequel, one of the most fun games I played in the Xbox One/PS4 gen.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
there was a rumor I read this morning on 4chan about a SoP this month featuring Sunset Overdrive, but maybe the poster just find the trademark before OP?
They've recently put out Miles Morales, Spidey Remastered, soon to be R&C Rift Apart, and Spidey 2 is highly likely in development. How on earth would they find the time to work on Sunset Overdrive?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I could never get into the original game but I'd be interested in a sequel. Maybe the Ratchet team moves onto this since they'll also be working on Spiderman 2 right now.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Could just be to secure their IP rights.
Sunset Overdrive is in their catalogue.

But maybe Insomniac wants to make Sunset Overdrive 2, who knows.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
No, according to Insomniac, the whole point of Insomniac going with Microsoft to make Sunset Overdrive was to keep the rights of the IP.

Sony playing 3D Chess here.

Loved this game. Incredible how MS just let this franchise go. Same for Alan Wake.

Yep. Insomniac and Remedy were pretty eager to make sequels for Sunset Overdrive and Alan Wake. Not sure why Microsoft didn't green light them.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It still remains somewhat funny that Insomniac partnered with Microsoft instead of Sony because Microsoft let them keep the IP, only for Sony to just buy Insomniac a few years later.
I'm not expecting this to be anything though, I remember an interview with Shawn Layden when Insomniac was acquired and Shawn was asked about Sunset Overdrive, and he basically said he didn't know what exactly was up with the deal Insomniac and Microsoft had, indicating Sony cares so little about the IP they didn't even bother to ask Insomniac about that publishing deal and the chances of a PlayStation port. The question from the interview:
What does this acquisition mean for a series like Sunset Overdrive, which was a Microsoft exclusive?
That was a great experience for Insomniac, and they learned a lot through that, as well. As far as the IP itself, we really haven't turned over the files on that one to see what that actually means, to be honest. We like what they've been doing in the Spider-Man franchise, and things like Ratchet & Clank are certainly vital series in the present and future. That's what we're concentrating on.
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Why Sony Interactive Bought ‘Spider-Man’ Maker Insomniac Games

Shawn Layden, chairman of SIE Worldwide Studios, caught up with The Hollywood Reporter to discuss the acquisition of Insomniac Games, what it means for development on the studio's titles and the company's approach to acquiring studios and talent.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Pretty sure Xbox will announce an FPS boost at some point, just after Sony announces a sequel. Same with whatever announcement Sony have with Rockstar for GTAV.

It would hopefully look amazing considering Ratchet and Clank visuals.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
They've recently put out Miles Morales, Spidey Remastered, soon to be R&C Rift Apart, and Spidey 2 is highly likely in development. How on earth would they find the time to work on Sunset Overdrive?

If you have a good production pipeline it's not impossible. :) You do need a break after a while, though.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly love a sequel eventually on ps5 with proper dual sense support. Loved the first game. Plus it be a nice palate cleanse from a bunch of Spider-Man and ratchet sequels.

DexMckinzie96

Banned
Jul 6, 2020

They would not work on Sunset Overdrive sequel now. They could develop it after Spider-Man 2 PS5. That said, I do not think Sunset Overdrive made much money when it was released. I wonder if Sony will fund a sequel to the Sunset Overdrive IP. I would be interested in Sunset Overdrive sequel but we have to wait and see.

I think the Sunset Overdrive can not be on PS4/PS5 because Microsoft published the game. The sequel can be on PS4/PS5 but I am not sure the original game can be.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I'm not the biggest fan of it, but there's definitely a potential audience there that didn't play this yet. A remaster would be cool.

Pie in the sky stuff here but it would be awesome if they'd remaster it and release it on PS and Xbox, PC considering the original is already on the latter.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
I guess theoretically Insomniac can do some sort of overhauled remake and call it Sunset Overdrive: "Insert title here" or something with campaign coop and such.

Its just a case of when they would be able to get around to it with Spider-Man 2 coming but maybe they can incubate another SSO after Ratchet & Clank and maybe while working on SM2.