• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Gaming is a big business, but it's one that's overwhelmingly dominated by men.

At its offices in Santa Clara, PlayStation is hosting a summer camp for girls who game. Students of the camp are learning how to design and program their own video games. KPIX 5's Mary Lee went to Santa Clara to meet the gaming leaders of the future.

The camp is part of the San Jose-based program "Girls Make Games." The program's goal is to inspire girls to become the next big designers, creators, and engineers in the gaming world while encouraging them to be anything they want to be in the process.

One of the students, Vanessa Meza, loves video games and started playing when she was just three years old.

"Seeing all these other girls with the exact same interests as me is like heaven," said Meza.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2...to-inspire-girls-to-become-leaders-in-gaming/

-

Nice vid in the link too. I see that Gravity Rush poster!

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
This is really cool, though seeing the Nioh poster in an event populated mostly by elementary school age children was pretty funny.

Seven4sses

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I like seeing them explaim how their games work and be enthusiastic about it. Hopefully this becomes a permanent thing.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe put a women who makes games on a e3 / whatever other event stage some time too???

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Maybe put a women who makes games on a e3 / whatever other event stage some time too???
Does anyone know when the last time was that we saw Sony have a female presenter on stage during one of their E3 briefings?
This is really good. Hope other pubs follow suite.
It's good because it's targeting at an early age in this case. There are other events to get women more involved and noticed in the industry too, eg at GDC: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/gaming-for-everyone/articles/Women-in-Gaming-Rally-at-GDC-2018

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Does anyone know when the last time was that we saw Sony have a female presenter on stage during one of their E3 briefings?
Tbh they haven't been doing that. The only presenter has been Layden, with just a showcase of trailers and music (lol).

Where on the other hand when MS or Ubi presents a game, sometimes they bring someone out to introduce or talk about a game.

Sam Bishop

Oct 29, 2017
San Francisco, CA
We, uh, don't have an office in Santa Clara. That's our main San Mateo HQ, which is weird that a local news station wouldn't know the difference. Still, it was awesome to come downstairs and hear just pure joy and excitement pouring out of that room when I walked by while this was going on.

For those curious about the "posters," they're actually more of a fabric-like material with little brass anchor holes on all four corners. We have them all around the ground floor, and add new ones after a game launches, I think they're basically taken from those standees you sometimes see propped up around trade events and conventions and stuff. They weren't meant to be specific to this event; they're just scattered all over the place. I'm pretty sure we're gonna run out of wall space here pretty soon.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
We, uh, don't have an office in Santa Clara. That's our main San Mateo HQ, which is weird that a local news station wouldn't know the difference. Still, it was awesome to come downstairs and hear just pure joy and excitement pouring out of that room when I walked by while this was going on.

For those curious about the "posters," they're actually more of a fabric-like material with little brass anchor holes on all four corners. We have them all around the ground floor, and add new ones after a game launches, I think they're basically taken from those standees you sometimes see propped up around trade events and conventions and stuff. They weren't meant to be specific to this event; they're just scattered all over the place. I'm pretty sure we're gonna run out of wall space here pretty soon.

Who's hq in San Mateo?
The girls make games program or a bigger group that runs that?

sirronoh

Oct 25, 2017

While I don't disagree that stage presentations can be influential, providing opportunities for women and other underrepresented minorities to learn from and interact directly with creators and to feel welcomed in the industry they're passionate about is far more meaningful than who appears on a stage.

OP
OP
DriftingSpirit
Oct 25, 2017

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's good because it's targeting at an early age in this case. There are other events to get women more involved and noticed in the industry too, eg at GDC: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/gaming-for-everyone/articles/Women-in-Gaming-Rally-at-GDC-2018
The one when they played lbp 3, the girl with interesting dress.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Off the top of my head I can think of 3 times I have seen a women on a Sony stage in 5 years. This includes their other shows like PGW and PSX. And one of those was a community manager who didnt say anything and was there for a MP demo.

It just stands out to me while every other company that does the big stage shows has made a effort to be more diverse in recent years Sony has done nothing.

EA, ubi and MS have done a amazing job in that regard with their presentations.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Off the top of my head I can think of 3 times I have seen a women on a Sony stage in 5 years. This includes their other shows like PGW and PSX. And one of those was a community manager who didnt say anything and was there for a MP demo.

It just stands out to me while every other company that does the big stage shows has made a effort to be more diverse in recent years Sony has done nothing.

The difference is that MS has some of them in leadership positions, like Bonnie Ross at 343. If Sony brings out a dev (quite rare in recent years anyway) it is usually the one most qualified to talk about the game at hand, so the creative director. I really don't know any female creative director at SIE after Amy left tbh. So they kinda got a problem there. Although they should consider bringing Shannon Studstill out in the future for God of War 2, even if she isn't creative director. Otherwise all the other big guys at Sony from all the divisions who host the conferences are also all men

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Yes, and they shouldn't be having to purposefully finding females to put on stage, because females should already naturally make up a fair balance of those leadership roles. Eg it was good to see Ashley Speicher on stage talking about Game Pass at Microsoft's E3 conference - not as a 'token female' to make up the numbers - but as a engineering lead with responsibility for game streaming and Game Pass.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yes, and they shouldn't be having to purposefully finding females to put on stage, because females should already naturally make up a fair balance of those leadership roles. Eg it was good to see Ashley Speicher on stage talking about Game Pass at Microsoft's E3 conference - not as a 'token female' to make up the numbers - but as a engineering lead with responsibility for game streaming and Game Pass.
DZxl53aX0AAPCcx.jpg

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They barely had any presence on stage for the past 3 years for E3. They did have female devs for last years PSX though. I think its more about them phasing out the old show format for a more direct presentation.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The difference is that MS has some of them in leadership positions, like Bonnie Ross at 343. If Sony brings out a dev (quite rare in recent years anyway) it is usually the one most qualified to talk about the game at hand, so the creative director. I really don't know any female creative director at SIE after Amy left tbh. So they kinda got a problem there. Although they should consider bringing Shannon Studstill out in the future for God of War 2, even if she isn't creative director. Otherwise all the other big guys at Sony from all the divisions who host the conferences are also all men

I agree with that.

Outside of Shannon from SSM (Who was on stage at PSX last year or the one before) I cant really think of many women leads left at Sony.

During the PS3 and early PS4 days SSM's old indie publishing arm use to be a good showcase for a lot younger people from diverse backgrounds that they put front and center. Its had a knock on effect when damn near the entire wing up and left to join Annapurna and Sony never replaced it.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

I think for MS and Ubi it's simply that they have a lot of women in high ranking positions, so it's only natural they would come out.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with that.

Outside of Shannon from SSM (Who was on stage at PSX last year or the one before) I cant really think of many women leads left at Sony.

Siobhan Reddy is the studio director at Media Molecule. Angie Smets is one of the producers at Guerrilla, but she's become one of the two faces of the studio along with Herman Hulst. She was at Gamelab recently talking about their dev process at Guerrilla when it came to Horizon

https://venturebeat.com/2018/07/06/...s-made-horizon-zero-dawn-in-7-years/view-all/

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Some good points there. You'd think it would make sense for Sony to bring out the most qualified person to talk about the games they are presenting. Sony's format has also changed in recent years to "less talk, more show", so from that there's less people on stage too which make I think would make balance more difficult.

When it comes to pre and post-shows, Holly Bennett is often seen representing PlayStation Europe, and she was a big part of the lengthy PGW 2017 pre and post-shows. The same can be said for Meredith Molinari at the E3 and PSX events. At PSX, the panels that relate to the games they're producing are as important (if not more so) than the welcome conference is... and they've always had a lot of women guesting on those panels, whether it's Uncharted 4, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Media Molecule with Dreams, The Last of Us Part II or Uncharted 10th Anniversary Cast. So this idea that they're doing something wrong in this regard is very odd.

We had Siobhan Reddy representing Media Molecule at this year's E3. Xbox brought out Ashley Speicher to talk about GamePass, but Sony doesn't really have anyone on their end representing that kind of service at E3. The rest is third-party that is beyond their control. And the actual games... well we know Sony has been doing an incredible job representing women in the actual software they create and games they support, better than most in recent times.

Oct 27, 2017
Some good points there. You'd think it would make sense for Sony to bring out the most qualified person to talk about the games they are presenting. Sony's format has also changed in recent years to "less talk, more show", so from that there's less people on stage too which make I think would make balance more difficult.

When it comes to pre and post-shows, Holly Bennett is often seen representing PlayStation Europe, and she was a big part of the lengthy PGW 2017 pre and post-shows. The same can be said for Meredith Molinari at the E3 and PSX events. At PSX, the panels that relate to the games they're producing are as important (if not more so) than the welcome conference is... and they've always had a lot of women guesting on those panels, whether it's Uncharted 4, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Media Molecule with Dreams, The Last of Us Part II or Uncharted 10th Anniversary Cast. So this idea that they're doing something wrong in this regard is very odd.

We had Siobhan Reddy representing Media Molecule at this year's E3. Xbox brought out Ashley Speicher to talk about GamePass, but Sony doesn't really have anyone on their end representing that kind of service at E3. The rest is third-party that is beyond their control. And the actual games... well we know Sony has been doing an incredible job representing women in the actual software they create and games they support, better than most in recent times.

When I think of the big publishers they are somewhere in the middle...Better than Nintendo and Activision sure, on par with EA, OK. But well behind Ubisoft and MS. And as far as the actual games vertical, well...... women lead studios for MS two biggest franchises, Thier MS game studios portfolio is also managed by a woman. Women are also in prominent and consumer-facing roles on their platform and hardware teams and thus are given the opportunity to present their work and that of their teams (which in itself inspires others).
I'm glad Sony is doing this, I'd like to see more. I just don't know about the "incredible" part.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Not in any recent E3's since they've gone to the format of just showing trailers the whole show and basically no presenters other than the emcee and couple of special guests.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I agree with that.

During the PS3 and early PS4 days SSM's old indie publishing arm use to be a good showcase for a lot younger people from diverse backgrounds that they put front and center. Its had a knock on effect when damn near the entire wing up and left to join Annapurna and Sony never replaced it.
Even if it doesn't come through on the E3 stage, which is unfortunate, at least a lot of the Sony studios and partners at this point have strong women working behind the scenes. Shannon Studstill comes to mind at SSM, Halley Gross is co-writing the story on the Last of Us 2 and seemingly after arriving immediately gave Neil Druckmann a lot of improvement suggestions that he accepted, David Cage's wife is the Lead of Production at Quantic Dream, etc.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
When I think of the big publishers they are somewhere in the middle...Better than Nintendo and Activision sure, on par with EA, OK. But well behind Ubisoft and MS. And as far as the actual games vertical, well...... women lead studios for MS two biggest franchises, Thier MS game studios portfolio is also managed by a woman. Women are also in prominent and consumer-facing roles on their platform and hardware teams and thus are given the opportunity to present their work and that of their teams (which in itself inspires others).
I'm glad Sony is doing this, I'd like to see more. I just don't know about the "incredible" part.
The part that you bolded is true and refers to the GAMES they focus on and how I've seen them support those ideas compared to other companies. I'm not necessarily talking about the roles that women have in development, but the strong representation of women in the actual games they produce and have been in support of.

Having said that, we already have examples in this thread of at least 2 female studio heads within Sony's Worldwide Studios. We also have Angie Smets who is a well-known executive producer at Guerrilla. Hallie Gross is sharing one of the most important creative duties with Neil Druckmann on Naughty Dog's next juggernaut release. The CEO and art director of Wild Sheep Studio is Celine Tellier and their project WiLD, Sony is publishing and supporting. Who knows if one day following the release of that game, Sony might acquire that studio, because that's how they've done things in the past. There's a producer at Sony that I've seen a fair few of the first-party devs refer to because of her outstanding work (her name escapes me right now). Sony recently released a video representing their Software Engineering team which comprised as much of women (if not more) as it did of men, so it doesn't look like they're discriminating there either. Microsoft is a larger organisation, but I don't think it's a clear cut as you're suggesting. Other than Halo, that I know is led by Bonnie Ross, what is the other 2nd biggest franchise of theirs you're referring to? I'm not warring about this, I'm just curious.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia

This post will now be quoted for posterity the next time there's a 'Please don't use 'females' to refer to women because it's demeaning and dehumanising' thread in EtcEra, where loads of make posters claimed they'd 'never seen it used'.

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This post will now be quoted for posterity the next time there's a 'Please don't use 'females' to refer to women because it's demeaning and dehumanising' thread in EtcEra, where loads of make posters claimed they'd 'never seen it used'.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/please-stop-referring-to-women-as-females-read-op.55731/

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much this will work in the long run but it sounds like a good initiative. Nice.

Oct 27, 2017
The part that you bolded is true and refers to the GAMES they focus on and how I've seen them support those ideas compared to other companies. I'm not necessarily talking about the roles that women have in development, but the strong representation of women in the actual games they produce and have been in support of.

Having said that, we already have examples in this thread of at least 2 female studio heads within Sony's Worldwide Studios. We also have Angie Smets who is a well-known executive producer at Guerrilla. Hallie Gross is sharing one of the most important creative duties with Neil Druckmann on Naughty Dog's next juggernaut release. The CEO and art director of Wild Sheep Studio is Celine Tellier and their project WiLD, Sony is publishing and supporting. Who knows if one day following the release of that game, Sony might acquire that studio, because that's how they've done things in the past. There's a producer at Sony that I've seen a fair few of the first-party devs refer to because of her outstanding work (her name escapes me right now). Sony recently released a video representing their Software Engineering team which comprised as much of women (if not more) as it did of men, so it doesn't look like they're discriminating there either. Microsoft is a larger organisation, but I don't think it's a clear cut as you're suggesting. Other than Halo, that I know is led by Bonnie Ross, what is the other 2nd biggest franchise of theirs you're referring to? I'm not warring about this, I'm just curious.

Helen Chiang runs Minecraft, and I wouldn't consider it MS's 2nd biggest franchise. It is, in fact, MS' biggest. You say that MS is a larger organization - it is- but I specifically mentioned the games vertical. In that space, Sony has more studios and as such, they should have more room to have female leads but they don't. I love seeing all of the different faces in the video you linked. That was a recruitment video which you must admit is completely different from say, the Scorpio reveal video shown at E3. Again, it's great that Sony has initiatives like this, they are just far from leading the pack.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Might be off topic, but is there a minority race equivalent for this since we know the industry is also dominated by whites?

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, Ms holds other events "LGBTQ in gaming", "Latinos in gaming" and "Blacks in gaming."
Yeah ms does a lot of work with minorities I think they sponsor the game devs of color yearly conference in nyc
Back on topic this is really cool, my niece recently told me she wants to be a game dev and I'd love her to go to something like this

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

To be fair, Siobhan Reddy runs Media Molecule and Shannon Studstill runs Sony Santa Monica.

EDIT: Angie Smets at Guerrilla also, as mentioned earlier!