• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the source is VGchartz. They likely have a shit ton of data going back 25 years, but I'm guessing Sony presented data wouldn't be suitable to Guinness. They'd need an independent source and this is as close as they could get?

Oct 27, 2017
Might as well crosspost :

Anyway, using the not so up-do-date data from here, PS + PS2 + PS3 + PS4 = 447,6M
The VGChartz estimates are probably a little underestimated, notably, Zhuge was pretty confident the PS2 is closer to 160M than 155M.

And we really didn't need GWR or the 25th anniversary to be aware Sony sold more home console than anyone else in history >.<

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Please make sure to put this in the OP:

EK2V846XYAAnVdJ

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I guess Nintendo wins Handheld and All-around Category then.

Congrats to everybody!

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I thought this had already been the case for some time.

Sony earned this though, very rarely ever showing any complacency over the 25 years.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
the usage of the source doesnt change that this is a fact. and this was probably because of WGR rather than Sony.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
The meta discussion is do we close this thread because it's technically using a banned source lol
Vgchartz kinda isn't a tracker with good reputations, so it made this a hollow win as a result
And the source is VGchartz. They likely have a shit ton of data going back 25 years, but I'm guessing Sony presented data wouldn't be suitable to Guinness. They'd need an independent source and this is as close as they could get?
The PS1 and PS2 sold more than every Home Nintendo console combined. The PS3 & PS4 made this unreachable for quite some time.
I can count, I'll be the source.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
c'mon people, regardless of the source, the title is undisputed from multiple trustworthy sources and even just using (conservative) estimation.

The real number is probably higher i reckoned.

Oct 25, 2017
The PS1 and PS2 sold more than every Home Nintendo console combined. The PS3 & PS4 made this unreachable for quite some time.
I can count, I'll be the source.
I mean if you wanted to be technical about it, the combined shipment numbers for all Nintendo home consoles is around ~323 mil.

c'mon people, regardless of the source, the title is undisputed from multiple trustworthy sources and even just using (conservative) estimation.

The real number is probably higher i reckoned.

I mean it probably is, which is why they say "over".

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
But they don't have any real competition... Pretty much only Xbox and they are very far behind.

And Nintendo uses different brands/handhelds and they don't count because reasons.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Nintendo wins Handheld and All-around Category then.

Congrats to everybody!
Nintendo is at 752m total (323m console (counting Switch as one) + 429m handheld) across 6 generations.
Sony is at 549m total (452m console + 97m handheld) across 4 generations.
Xbox is at 156m across 3 generations.
Sega is at 58m (47m console + 11m handheld) across 4 generations (but without numbers for some systems - so potentially add like ~12m to this).

... Using VGChartz so as to be consistent lol.

Last edited:

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I mean if you wanted to be technical about it, the combined shipment numbers for all Nintendo home consoles is around ~323 mil.

I mean it probably is, which is why they say "over".
Don't know what you mean about being technical. If you're adding up handhelds, add another 60-70 million to Sony while you're at it. Still making it "technically " true and "technically " unreachable lol.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Doesn't matter though . We already know from Sony data they r above 450 million. So again I ask you why is it important when we have the data from Sony ??

Of course it is important.

First, GWR can't get data from Sony because they need a third party to certify so. And there is plenty of sources they could have used.

Second, this legitimize the use of VGC which is totally unreliable meaning that in other occasions GWR can't be trusted.

Oct 25, 2017
Like yes, congratulations. It is factual that Playstation brand is the best selling home console. That's great! I just dislike they needed to use VGChartz.

Don't know what you mean about being technical. If you're adding up handhelds, add another 60-70 million to Sony while you're at it. Still making it "technically " true and "technically " unreachable lol.
Then Nintendo is above 750 mil. Also I was just responding about your PS1+PS2 > All Nintendo home consoles comment.

Like I literally said home consoles where did you get handhelds from.

Also with Sony handhelds that's more 90-100 million depending on how much the Vita actually shipped this whole time.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
From being laughed at during their initial entry into the market, to being the dominant player in the span of about 25 years.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, 25 years are a lot in the tech industry, lol

Facebook became one of the biggest firms in the world in the span of 15 years from literally nothing.

I consider Sony to be more impressive considering that they had almost no background in video games or consoles, even being an electronic company. That makes it more impressive to me than Facebook.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
PlayStation is best-selling home video game console brand ever

VGChartz are a terrible source for GWR to use.

Both of these things can be true.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I consider Sony to be more impressive considering that they had almost no background in video games or consoles, even being an electronic company. That makes it more impressive to me than Facebook.

It is impressive but Sony had already a know-how in the consumer electronics market. They were starting to cooperate with Nintendo too and that gave Sony some leverage. They had other ventures to cover potential losses. The leap wasn't as big as other businesses.