• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
It is impressive but Sony had already a know-how in the consumer electronics market. They were starting to cooperate with Nintendo too and that gave Sony some leverage. They had other ventures to cover potential losses. The leap wasn't as big as other businesses.

At the time, it was. The same company that made Walkmans and televisions overtaking the company that practically saved and defined the industry with juggernaut consoles and original IPs? That is always going to be a huge accomplishment to me, especially with getting those same studios to buy into their consoles, creating their own ecosystem for game development, and forwarding designs that we still use today.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Remember when ps3 sales were crap and they included psp sales to seem bigger. What happened to playstation family when they use to use to include handhelds...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If only someone had told them that VGChartz is banned on ResetEra.

This is a stain on the reputation of the prestigious Guinness World Records

Nails-A-1280x720.jpg

guinness-record.png

images

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Zhuge seemed to be pretty confident the PS2 was closer to 160m than 155m, so it's possible these Vgchartz numbers (which appear to be updated to reflect official numbers) are actually slightly underestimated.

Oct 25, 2017
A really remarkable achievement. I still remember picking up a PS1 and being blown away by the fact that it had a CD player.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when ps3 sales were crap and they included psp sales to seem bigger. What happened to playstation family when they use to use to include handhelds...
The Vita brought their average down :( Everything else outside of it has sold a minimum of 80m, and it has like... 16m?

PYHir9V-3bTBWnALhLFKTMBzlDOIWb-Tm_2EVNSdxTM.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Are they comparing it to all MS and Nintendo consoles or would each Nintendo console be a different "brand" aside from I guess the NES+SNES and Wii+Wii U? And I guess the Gameboy and DS lines, although those aren't consoles

Oct 25, 2017
Are they comparing it to all MS and Nintendo consoles or would each Nintendo console be a different "brand" aside from I guess the NES+SNES and Wii+Wii U? And I guess the Gameboy and DS lines, although those aren't consoles
You could say them prefacing the word Nintendo on all of their consoles would make it the Nintendo Brand, so probably. Not that it exactly matters.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great achievement for sure, but it helps that Xbox aside (a younger brand with no handhelds either, though I know this record isn't counting handhelds either) no other console manufacturer worth a damn stuck around with the same branding. Nintendo has had everything: the Game Boy, the DS, the Wii, the Switch, the GameCube. Different brands and as such they aren't combined. In that sense it only really competes with Xbox which had one less generation, though to be fair it managed to beat Xbox quite comfortably in nearly every one of them so far (only last-gen was close). Still, that's a fucking insane average of over 100 million console units sold on average, every generation. The only non-handheld consoles that can compete with that are the Wii (higher than PS3 but lower than PS1, 2 and 4) and X360 (around PS3's level and, again, below PS1, 2 and 4). Really can't be disputed, but it's such a weird way of paging this record considering Nintendo, SEGA, etc. didn't have the same linear naming and branding convention for their consoles (if they did, Nintendo would be close to those numbers on handhelds alone).

Oct 25, 2017

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Couldn't they have just got the number from Sony? Why use chartz?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great achievement for sure, but it helps that Xbox aside (a younger brand with no handhelds either, though I know this record isn't counting handhelds either) no other console manufacturer worth a damn stuck around with the same branding. Nintendo has had everything: the Game Boy, the DS, the Wii, the Switch, the GameCube. Different brands and as such they aren't combined. In that sense it only really competes with Xbox which had one less generation, though to be fair it managed to beat Xbox quite comfortably in nearly every one of them so far (only last-gen was close). Still, that's a fucking insane average of over 100 million console units sold on average, every generation. The only non-handheld consoles that can compete with that are the Wii (higher than PS3 but lower than PS1, 2 and 4) and X360 (around PS3's level and, again, below PS1, 2 and 4). Really can't be disputed, but it's such a weird way of paging this record considering Nintendo, SEGA, etc. didn't have the same linear naming and branding convention for their consoles (if they did, Nintendo would be close to those numbers on handhelds alone).
It's not the brands, it's specifically home consoles. The PSP is a 'PlayStation' too, but they didn't count that number in the total. My post on the first page has the console + handheld totals, where Nintendo obviously leads if you count everything (they've basically always been successful in one of the two segments, and they've been around the longest by two generations).
If Nintendo named their consoles Nintendo 1, Nintendo 2, Nintendo 3, Nintendo 4 then we'd be having a different conversation, right?
Nah, Nintendo has sold about ~125m less consoles. Their portables are typically way more successful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GreenEarth

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
You legitimately can't say that when the sample size is 4 and one console didn't even hit 100 mil.

What? You only need a sample size bigger than 2 to give an average. That's all the post you replied to did, he posted what the average is and you told him it's not true. It is true, that is literally the average.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
An amazing success, congrats! :)

To be fair, 25 years are a lot in the tech industry, lol

Facebook became one of the biggest firms in the world in the span of 15 years from literally nothing.
Thats true, but it didnt take them 25 years to be in a dominant position however. That was achieved in only some years. They've stayed relevant for about 25 years in the gaming industry :) Same thing with Facebook as well (only taking them some years to become dominant in their field). Also dont think that the partnership with Nintendo really gave too much leverage, if you mean public exposure leading to people buying or knowing about the PSX? I think Sony's own marketing campaign and the games it had would have been able to do that alone even if they didnt briefly partnered with Nintendo.

You legitimately can't say that when the sample size is 4 and one console didn't even hit 100 mil.
I guess he just mean an average. That would put the PS2 at 113 million for example, even if it sold 150+ million.

Last edited:

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What do you mean stuck around with the same branding? Consistent branding or naming conventions don't guarantee success, see Xbox, Wii U from Wii etc.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo named their consoles Nintendo 1, Nintendo 2, Nintendo 3, Nintendo 4 then we'd be having a different conversation, right?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean stuck around with the same branding? Consistent branding or naming conventions don't guarantee success, see Xbox, Wii U from Wii etc.

Never said it has anything to do with success, but the Wii and the NES are not the same brand. The Mega Drive and the Dreamcast aren't the same brand. PlayStation is basically the only home console that had 4 consecutive consoles with that naming convention, except maybe some old stuff like the Atari consoles. PS1-4 are 4 of the highest selling consoles ever so they were gonna have this record one way or another anyway, but it seems like a weird way to phrase the record. The record should have just been Sony, not PlayStation - it would still have counted (they beat Nintendo's, Microsoft's, SEGA's, Atari's, etc. home consoles in total units sold), but at least the other companies would have been counted correctly. Why limit the record to one name in the home console space when most other big players don't follow the same naming at all? It's a bit like saying that the dozens of versions of iPhone sold more than the Nokia N-Gage as opposed to comparing it to all Nokia phones.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is at 752m total (323m console (counting Switch as one) + 429m handheld) across 6 generations.
Sony is at 549m total (452m console + 97m handheld) across 4 generations.
Xbox is at 156m across 3 generations.
Sega is at 58m (47m console + 11m handheld) across 4 generations (but without numbers for some systems - so potentially add like ~12m to this).

... Using VGChartz so as to be consistent lol.
Pretty sure Nintendo's consoles is in it's 7th generation.

It's silly to use home and portable consoles, at least now that Switch occupies both and no one else makes portables anymore. Still got to give it to Sony here, they have been consistently dominate since they entered the market, just don't put too much stock into GWR, it is also a really weird award to give, can you imagine Nintendo winning it in 10 years if Sony lays a dud and the Switch's success is also a big hit? We just shouldn't care about such an award.
That many consoles, and I never owned a playstation though I'm well into my 30s...
Wow. PS1 was something really incredible, I can understand not owning a PS4 if you are a PC or Xbox gamer and aren't interested in Sony's first parties, but it almost takes work to avoid Sony's hardware and play video games for 25+ years.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
You made an incorrect claim and he corrected you. Your response to being wrong about console sales is really weird.
I didn't think we were squabbling over a few million when I say ps1 & ps2 sold more than every Nintendo console, prior to switch, combined. We all know this already. It's specified as "home console". We don't need vgcharts numbers for this. I'm making light of the situation cause it's not a big deal.
This is some gamefaqs level posting right here, lol.
Cause I said "mf"? Cmon.. 😆
What I'm seeing around era right now is putting gamefaqs to shame lol.

Guess I'm to used to discord. No fun allowed here. Sorry to all affected.

Last edited:

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Congrats to Sony on decades of video game history. Nintendo should get a place as well in regards to handhelds. Both of them have excelled in different areas in the video game market space and...in my opinion, the industry has benefited from their existences

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
End of the day, regardless of what fence you sit on or which console you worship, this is damn healthy for the industry. Consoles selling well, games selling well and a nextgen just round the corner. Keep it coming!

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this has been indisputable and obvious fact for years now, there's no reason to even debate it.

Of course he can. An average isn't some sort of complicated statistical analysis. What is it that you're trying to dismiss or disprove?

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
It's embarassing for the industry that they had to source Chartz...

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never said it has anything to do with success, but the Wii and the NES are not the same brand. The Mega Drive and the Dreamcast aren't the same brand. PlayStation is basically the only home console that had 4 consecutive consoles with that naming convention, except maybe some old stuff like the Atari consoles. PS1-4 are 4 of the highest selling consoles ever so they were gonna have this record one way or another anyway, but it seems like a weird way to phrase the record. The record should have just been Sony, not PlayStation - it would still have counted (they beat Nintendo's, Microsoft's, SEGA's, Atari's, etc. home consoles in total units sold), but at least the other companies would have been counted correctly. Why limit the record to one name in the home console space when most other big players don't follow the same naming at all? It's a bit like saying that the dozens of versions of iPhone sold more than the Nokia N-Gage as opposed to comparing it to all Nokia phones.

Naming conventions don't guarantee industry leading success, that is true for any and all technologies. For example, just because brands like HTC, Google, Sony etc keep mobile naming conventions, doesn't mean their devices sell as much as iPhones. The same is true for consoles, as evidenced with the Wii U and Xbox consoles.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, I find "Home Console" as a qualifier to be completely useless, especially with the Switch on the market and no competing portables.