• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Congrats PlayStation. This is deserved, because from the very start they went for innovation and games games games. They've messed up along the way but you'd have to be a very very sour person to want to shit on their success.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I was kidding lol

Was entertaining the post somewhere above mine that suggested what I said in they're post.

OT: What an amazing feat. And the PS4 isn't even done selling yet. I can definitely see the PS4 reach PS2 numbers as far fetched as that may seem. I can see it do at least another 30m on top of what it has now. Thoughts?

Nov 8, 2017
I've never understood why VGChartz is so controversial? Everyone knows that the figures there are estimates and not necessarily 100% accurate, and no-one ever seems to cite any better alternatives.

I guess I just don't understand what's wrong with a website that estimates console sales figures? Like, do they have past records of being biased or something that I'm unaware of?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood why VGChartz is so controversial? Everyone knows that the figures there are estimates and not necessarily 100% accurate, and no-one ever seems to cite any better alternatives.

I guess I just don't understand what's wrong with a website that estimates console sales figures? Like, do they have past records of being biased or something that I'm unaware of?
They often just make numbers up.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naming conventions don't guarantee success, that is true for any and all technologies. For example, just because brands like HTC, Google, Sony etc keep mobile naming conventions, doesn't mean their devices sell as much as iPhones. The same is true for consoles, as evidenced with the Wii U and Xbox consoles.

But I am not talking about success at all, it's just how the record is phrased that is really odd. It's a record that Sony would have regardless, but if you only count a specific naming brand they just have no competition to begin with.

I'll explain this in an easier way. All Sony's home consoles sold 450m+ units. All of Sony's home consoles are named PlayStation. So Sony's home consoles sold over 450 millions is true, and so is the fact that PlayStation brand sold over 450 million units. If you take companies as a whole, Nintendo's home consoles amount to approx. 300 millions (with many more generations), Microsoft's home consoles stop at approx. 155m (with one generation less), SEGA around 80m and so on. They still have every other company beat.

But since this record talks about the PlayStation brand, it means that it only competes with single names in the gaming console world. The Wii is only summed to the Wii U, not to the NES, SNES, N64, getting to just over 110m. The various SEGA consoles are not summed because they're different brands, so the biggest one they throw in the mix sold a whopping 35m or so. Only Microsoft, out of the recent consoles, has a more consistent branding with the Xbox, so Xbox can boast 155m, a number higher than the Wii brand but obtained in 3 generations as opposed to 2. So they are taking the PlayStation brand, putting it against console brands that had less installments, declaring that the PlayStation brand has them beat. It's such a stupid limitation to impose because Sony as a whole beats Microsoft, Nintendo, etc. home consoles as a whole, regardless of their naming convention. In fact, for calculations' sake, the 4 home consoles Sony released are only marginally under the total sum of units sold between ALL home consoles released by Microsoft and Nintendo combined. And that's 4 pieces of hardware against 9/10 (depending on where you're putting the Switch exactly).

The record is obvious. It would have been obvious either way: the 4 PlayStation consoles combined outsell any other company's units sold regardless of how many generations they took part in. The only way anyone can compete is if you sum the Nintendo handhelds: then, even with Sony's two handhelds, Sony would be beaten, but they would have achieved their number with 6 consoles whereas Nintendo reached that sum with a whopping 15 consoles (without counting the single-game consoles they had going before the NES). Sony's record was never in discussion, but the way they framed the record they just increase the volume of their record by disallowing competition that would still be beaten for some odd reason.

It's really irrelevant at the end of the day. But I would not have used the record for the PlayStation brand but for Sony as a whole.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus that is amazing. I remember when they first jumped into the game and wondering if they were going to last. Looks like they climbed to the top. I didn't think they moved that many consoles over the years but I guess I was wrong

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
For the record, I find "Home Console" as a qualifier to be completely useless, especially with the Switch on the market and no competing portables.
If it can be portable it's disqualified for home console.
The question that begs to be answered is if it can claim the most sold gaming handheld? Does a certain phone count? If so, that sucks.. no award for Nintendo 😒

do I really have to say I'm messing around?

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wonder when they will cross 500 million?

Also this thread is funny. Not as bad as that Dualshock thread yet but it's still early.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
If it can be portable it's disqualified for home console.
The question that begs to be answered is if it can claim the most sold gaming handheld? Does a certain phone count? If so, that sucks.. no award for Nintendo 😒

do I really have to say I'm messing around?
I'm not taking it seriously either. Also this discounts the Sega Genesis, as the Nomad was a portable Genesis. It's just a silly distinction that I think is an outdated way to look at gaming in general.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
But I am not talking about success at all, it's just how the record is phrased that is really odd. It's a record that Sony would have regardless, but if you only count a specific naming brand they just have no competition to begin with.

I'll explain this in an easier way. All Sony's home consoles sold 450m+ units. All of Sony's home consoles are named PlayStation. So Sony's home consoles sold over 450 millions is true, and so is the fact that PlayStation brand sold over 450 million units. If you take companies as a whole, Nintendo's home consoles amount to approx. 300 millions (with many more generations), Microsoft's home consoles stop at approx. 155m (with one generation less), SEGA around 80m and so on. They still have every other company beat.

But since this record talks about the PlayStation brand, it means that it only competes with single names in the gaming console world. The Wii is only summed to the Wii U, not to the NES, SNES, N64, getting to just over 110m. The various SEGA consoles are not summed because they're different brands, so the biggest one they throw in the mix sold a whopping 35m or so. Only Microsoft, out of the recent consoles, has a more consistent branding with the Xbox, so Xbox can boast 155m, a number higher than the Wii brand but obtained in 3 generations as opposed to 2. So they are taking the PlayStation brand, putting it against console brands that had less installments, declaring that the PlayStation brand has them beat. It's such a stupid limitation to impose because Sony as a whole beats Microsoft, Nintendo, etc. home consoles as a whole, regardless of their naming convention. In fact, for calculations' sake, the 4 home consoles Sony released are only marginally under the total sum of units sold between ALL home consoles released by Microsoft and Nintendo combined. And that's 4 pieces of hardware against 9/10 (depending on where you're putting the Switch exactly).

The record is obvious. It would have been obvious either way: the 4 PlayStation consoles combined outsell any other company's units sold regardless of how many generations they took part in. The only way anyone can compete is if you sum the Nintendo handhelds: then, even with Sony's two handhelds, Sony would be beaten, but they would have achieved their number with 6 consoles whereas Nintendo reached that sum with a whopping 15 consoles (without counting the single-game consoles they had going before the NES). Sony's record was never in discussion, but the way they framed the record they just increase the volume of their record by disallowing competition that would still be beaten for some odd reason.

It's really irrelevant at the end of the day. But I would not have used the record for the PlayStation brand but for Sony as a whole.
All the Nintendo home systems are branded "Nintendo", so they would be on the same level in that regards.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You've misunderstood their terming. Best selling Home Console brand with respect to Nintendo would include all their home console systems, even those with different naming conventions. And the same would go for Xbox too. Their terminology is just a way for them to put all the home consoles under one umbrella. The brand is PlayStation, just as the brand would be Nintendo or Xbox (not the individual systems themselves).

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the Nintendo home systems are branded "Nintendo", so they would be on the same level in that regards.

Maybe so, but to me it's needlessly ambiguous. Needless because both Sony and the PlayStation brand already beat other home consoles, so I see little point in specifying PlayStation in particular, making it seem like it only really competes with conventionally named consecutive console products as opposed to everything Nintendo, Microsoft, SEGA, Atari, etc. ever released.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, when did VGChartz become a respectable source for this stuff? They were pretty much a joke in the late 00s and nobody trusted their numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
The consistency is probably the most impressive thing about it. They basically have an entire segment of the market to themselves. Unmatched success.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You've misunderstood their terming. Best selling Home Console brand with respect to Nintendo would include all their home console systems, even those with different naming conventions. And the same would go for Xbox too. Their terminology is just a way for them to put all the home consoles under one umbrella. The brand is PlayStation, just as the brand could be Nintendo or Xbox (not the individual systems themselves).

You could be right, I might be reading too much into this. It's just that the way I see it, by seeking a comparison for PlayStation brand you're only really looking at other brands like Xbox or Wii, not Microsoft or Nintendo as a whole. That's how the wording reads to me. Regardless of intent it's just weirdly specific and needless really because Sony's 4 PlayStation consoles sold more units than any other company's consoles anyway. If PS4 was called PlayUniverse or something they would still own the record, but they'd just call it Sony's record instead - as it more sense like that, to me. But English isn't my first language so I could be totally wrong.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe so, but to me it's needlessly ambiguous. Needless because both Sony and the PlayStation brand already beat other home consoles, so I see little point in specifying PlayStation in particular, making it seem like it only really competes with conventionally named consecutive console products as opposed to everything Nintendo, Microsoft, SEGA, Atari, etc. ever released.

It isn't needlessly ambiguous, you've simply taken it in the wrong way. I think most people would recognise that PlayStation, Nintendo and Xbox are all gaming brands, and also that home consoles are separate from handheld systems.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

There are alternatives. Different tracking companies for each territory. NPD in North America. Enterbrain in Japan. Etc.

All companies estimate sales using samples.

VGChartz methodology is obscure as no one knows who they are tracking. Also, they made up numbers so many times that this made them unreliable.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I'm not taking it seriously either. Also this discounts the Sega Genesis, as the Nomad was a portable Genesis. It's just a silly distinction that I think is an outdated way to look at gaming in general.
Yea. I don't think Nintendo really cares. I think they really want to change traditional gaming habits, which I personally am thankful to them for, and be known for that.

think ima grab that ring game and get my family into it like the old wii bowling days.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't needlessly ambiguous, you've simply taken it in the wrong way. I think most people would recognise that PlayStation, Nintendo and Xbox are all gaming brands, and also that home consoles are separate from handheld systems.

Guess it depends on who's reading because I read it differently. To me Sony is a company, PlayStation is a brand. Nintendo and Microsoft are companies while Wii, GameCube, Xbox and Genesis are brands. Apple and Samsung are the companies, Galaxy and iPhone are the brands. The PlayStation brand has been consistently present for 25 years, the others I mentioned weren't. In this context this is how I read it.

Klart

Jan 23, 2019
The console wars have ended!

Playstation has won!

Microsoft, Nintendo & Sega: you lose!

Fanboys rejoice!

Your battle was not in vain!

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty impressive they haven't had a (home) console that's sold less than 80 mil.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

They sometimes aren't even accurate when official information is available to give them a bottom figure. The main reason though is they just derail discussion when their figure is almost definitely wrong and fairly meaningless as we don't know what they use to get their figures. Less of a issue with PS home console sales, as they are updated often enough by Sony, until they are basically dead, for solid estimates by anyone.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
Congrat'

That said, old guys who don't know internet using lalaland sources. That's the real story lol.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone cite a better source?
giphy.gif

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Is Sony at 1Billion Software sold for the PS4? What are the last figures?

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They sometimes aren't even accurate when official information is available to give them a bottom figure. The main reason though is they just derail discussion when their figure is almost definitely wrong and fairly meaningless as we don't know what they use to get their figures. Less of a issue with PS home console sales, as they are updated often enough by Sony, until they are basically dead, for solid estimates by anyone.

This. It's not really under any sort of discussion that PS1, PS2 and PS4 obliterated everything else in their generations. The jury is only out on last-gen, where Wii beat them, and we only have guesstimates on whether X360 or PS3 ultimately came in 2nd after the generation ended and stocks were more or less gone for good. That Sony owns this record really isn't under any question, as even going by official verifiable data you can't put Nintendo or Microsoft, let alone SEGA, Atari, etc. anywhere near that number. But citing VGChartz as a source of a Guinness World Record is pretty dumb all around. Sony themselves know the number, they could have said that and it would have still been the record considering Nintendo's consoles would still fall dozens of millions short even if the true number was like 400m.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Yea. I don't think Nintendo really cares. I think they really want to change traditional gaming habits, which I personally am thankful to them for, and be known for that.

think ima grab that ring game and get my family into it like the old wii bowling days.
Probably a good path to a healthy way of living with ring fit adventure.

I don't really care about what Nintendo thinks about it, just a bit annoying when discussing video game sales, to deal with this qualifier that never made much sense.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
This. It's not really under any sort of discussion that PS1, PS2 and PS4 obliterated everything else in their generations. The jury is only out on last-gen, where Wii beat them, and we only have guesstimates on whether X360 or PS3 ultimately came in 2nd after the generation ended and stocks were more or less gone for good. That Sony owns this record really isn't under any question, as even going by official verifiable data you can't put Nintendo or Microsoft, let alone SEGA, Atari, etc. anywhere near that number. But citing VGChartz as a source of a Guinness World Record is pretty dumb all around. Sony themselves know the number, they could have said that and it would have still been the record considering Nintendo's consoles would still fall dozens of millions short even if the true number was like 400m.
I may be mistaking, but I don't think Sony can use their own numbers for GWR. They'd have to use an outside source that counts everything. It seems in this case the numbers are undeniable so using VG is just to get the official award.

that's what I'm seeing, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
What an impressive feat considering Nintendo has been putting out home consoles for longer. Sony really did turn things on its head with the PSX.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think that its ambiguous. Playstation is Sony's brand within the gaming industry. All the Nintendo systems do have "Nintendo" in their name in the same fashion. Same with Xbox (Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One). Its just we who uses the shorter name for convenience sometimes (like saying "Gamecube" instead of "Nintendo Gamecube").

Probably a good path to a healthy way of living with ring fit adventure.

I don't really care about what Nintendo thinks about it, just a bit annoying when discussing video game sales, to deal with this qualifier that never made much sense.
I think the biggest difference is that a home console is usually defined as one unit per household while handhelds is usually defined as one unit per person. Games for handheld games also used to be cheaper in price for the most part. Other than that however, i dont think it really matters much.

Last edited:

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
VGChartz? The folks who used to release wrong numbers, looked at what NPD tracked and then edited their numbers? I wasn't exactly thinking highly of GWR in the first place but... oh well. It's not surprising VGC is getting cited though, as they are the only... "well established" ... free tracking source for video games out there - despite being unreliable and uncommunicative about their sources. Unfortunately only very few news outlets do any research whatsoever and still include them as a source.

The record itself is fine and undisputed but using VGC numbers isn't quite "officially amazing".

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
What's up with all the salty comments here? And all the "this happened cause *insert excuse here* "

Nothing about these numbers looks weird lol. Sony earned every single unit.