• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Look at any thread talking about why the PS4 has been a success. Half the posts are about how lucky Sony got at launch.

That's great, thanks for the trivia!

That doesn't change anything about why I quoted that person. No one on the first page was saying that Sony doesn't deserve the award, people took issue with the fact that Guiness World Records cited vgchartz to give that record to Sony.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Please make sure to put this in the OP:

EK2V846XYAAnVdJ

Congrats, Sony.

Eat your heart out Nintendo, you brought this on yourself. Chicago. 1991. CES. Betrayal.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
This was already known, we don't need VGChartz for confirmation. May the dominion continue forever.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Is there evidence for this? Like I said, we know the numbers are (supposed to be) estimates and thus do not expect 100% accuracy, but I've never heard of the numbers just being outright fabricated out of nothing?
Back on GAF, the creator of the site stated his methodology.
He just makes up a bunch of numbers, and then changes them to be more in line with NPD/Media Create/etc numbers are freely available, but still not making them completely line up. If they're not (he doesn't pay for full NPD access, for instance), then they're just completely arbritary.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
That's great, thanks for the trivia!

That doesn't change anything about why I quoted that person. No one on the first page was saying that Sony doesn't deserve the award, people took issue with the fact that Guiness World Records cited vgchartz to give that record to Sony.

Don't act like a child for getting told something. You must be fun at parties. And people getting all over the vgchartz data that Guinness decides to use is probably more related to the fact they won't take the first hand data the corporation can give them so they have to get it from somewhere else and who else would have data going back that far? Shit, it's a nothing award and you act like the gatekeeper of why it should be given out. Besides, regardless of what chartz has, it's probably underestimating the real numbers.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive consistency and strong branding - Sony has done a great job delivering great games to players for a long time. The recent PS first party boon has been especially great.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It's hilarious that the official plaque has VGChartz on it lol, but for the rest this is super uncontested, because Nintendo would basically be Wii+WiiU = 120M and Xbox would be Xbox+360+One = 140M.

They would top both those halfway into PS2.

Oct 30, 2017
Best Home Consoles brand ever, they changed the industry and still keeping it healthy and moving on forward.

Without the Playstation many wouldn't have gotten into gaming or still gaming.

Congratulations Sony, well deserved.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Best overall gaming brand for sure, even if one generation i may have preferred another main platform, in the end i always return to PS, it is the most constant of the platform holders by far. A sure bet.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Watch out Bolivia, the salt generated in this thread alone might take your biggest salt flat record...

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. Nobody can compete with Sony when it comes to home consoles. Their worst selling console sits at 85 millions, and have 3 out of the 4 home consoles breaking +100 million record.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at the salt in this thread. And it's not like we didn't already know roughly what the numbers are for all the big hardware manufacturers.

Oct 25, 2017
[Playstation gets the Guinness World Record for Home Console Brands via VGChartz]

Some people: Congratulations, too bad about the VGChartz source though.

Lots of people apparently: OH MY GOD THE SALT.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
[Playstation gets the Guinness World Record for Home Console Brands via VGChartz]

Some people: Congratulations, too bad about the VGChartz source though.

Lots of people apparently: OH MY GOD THE SALT.

They're a bit too sensitive. I can't believe people are still taking it as "VGChartz makes up numbers" = "fanboys think PS sales numbers are FAKE". Two separate things being conflated together. I love console wars (/s) because they make no sense. Lmao at the guy who said "people like their bubbles". Ironic how people refuse to read.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Don't act like a child for getting told something. You must be fun at parties. And people getting all over the vgchartz data that Guinness decides to use is probably more related to the fact they won't take the first hand data the corporation can give them so they have to get it from somewhere else and who else would have data going back that far? Shit, it's a nothing award and you act like the gatekeeper of why it should be given out. Besides, regardless of what chartz has, it's probably underestimating the real numbers.

Again... I don't care about the drama in other threads you brought up, stick to the topic here.

Shit, it's a nothing award and you act like the gatekeeper of why it should be given out.

Again... No one in the first page of the thread said that Sony doesn't deserve the award.

And people getting all over the vgchartz data that Guinness decides to use is probably more related to the fact they won't take the first hand data the corporation can give them so they have to get it from somewhere else and who else would have data going back that far?

There's nothing stipulating the data can't come from Sony. Sony is a publicly traded company, they can provide the numbers themselves since they can't lie about it otherwise they will be held liable by their investors. That's why publicly traded companies have auditors in the first place.

Anyone can submit a record to the Guiness World Records and use vgchartz as their evidence like with the examples below, this shows how lax their verification process is when it comes to data:

It's almost as if that's why people were criticising vgchartz in the first place... Did you think the posters in the first page were hoping the real number was lower than the record stated?

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
to think it all started with Nintendo breaking a deal to have a cd rom player on their console. Sony has changed the Vg industry forever and have had a great and well deserved success.

congrats to them!

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Eh, congrats to Sony, but would've preferred NPD as the source than VG Chartz. They've been too wildly unpredictable in the past. Like the old saying goes, eventually a blind squirrel will find a nut. Same goes with VGCharrz

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Eh, congrats to Sony, but would've preferred NPD as the source than VG Chartz. They've been too wildly unpredictable in the past. Like the old saying goes, eventually a blind squirrel will find a nut. Same goes with VGCharrz
NPD just refers to North America. They can't ever represent (nor do they ever pretend to) WW numbers.