• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Just more proof that PS5 needs to be backwards compatible with every PlayStation before it.
Please :(

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty crazy that even their worst selling console is still in the top 5 all time global sellers, hell, it's even more impressive that all of their consoles are in the top 5 lol

Also wow VGChartz, taking me back to like 2006 lmao

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Congrats to PlayStation! Sony has a knack for understanding the home console market like no one else can.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats, Sony.

Eat your heart out Nintendo, you brought this on yourself. Chicago. 1991. CES. Betrayal.

img

Jun 23, 2019
Do the GWBoR know that Chartz is a banned source on Era?

How dare they not consult Era first!? Don't they know only we have the brains to rule Lylat!? Also congrats. Laughing at that first page. Of course they would use VGChartz. Despite us knowing that the site is bullshit, it's still a site used by analysts, studios, companies, and is unfortunately a commonly known website now. Sony wouldn't be able to verify their own numbers to the GWR as it looks suspect as fuck, so they probably just gave their financial data to VGChartz to verify and then gave it to GWR to corroborate.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
PSP and PSV would add a good chunk to overall PS sales. Very impressive, hope PS5 continues the trend.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Listing VGChartz as a source. Its close enough from Sony's numbers at 447.6 million. Probably sold a few more since Sept. 2019.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
First of all, congratulations to Sony. Playstation has been a great part of my life, and I've really enjoyed almost every console generation from Sony.

Now, if you include handhelds it makes Nintendo the leader.

But if you include handhelds, you should include all game devices, and you'd have to make Apple the leader right?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes I genuinely wonder just how different the gaming landscape would be if the Nintendo/Sony console deal had succeeded.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
First of all, congratulations to Sony. Playstation has been a great part of my life, and I've really enjoyed almost every console generation from Sony.

Now, if you include handhelds it makes Nintendo the leader.

But if you include handhelds, you should include all game devices, and you'd have to make Apple the leader right?
This has been talked about to death. There's legitimately reasonable uses for not including all platforms. Just leave Nintendo out of it, since they already have an entire era of gaming before PS even entered the market.
Why doesn't this include PSP/Vita? Because how many ppl bought a 2nd or 3rd PSP to play the same games or with friends? They come in cheaper than the big black box, software split is different, etc...

It's simply not a good comparison to lump everything into one. Are you going to say 100 million Switch sales is apples to apples to 100 PS4 sales? It's not and there's no reason to put any *on PS success.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We already knew this but alright if its official.
And probably is there to stay until Nintendo releases their next next gen console New Wii-Wii-VR U.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
But they don't have any real competition... Pretty much only Xbox and they are very far behind.

And Nintendo uses different brands/handhelds and they don't count because reasons.

Nintendo has very clear consoles. The handhelds don't count the same reason Vita/PSVR/PSP don't count.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Quite .. mobile gaming is bigger than everyone else put together
I do think the distinction between a smart phone/pc and a dedicated gaming device/gaming service (like Steam) has some merit, but yes in game sales, it's certainly relevant.
Nintendo has very clear consoles. The handhelds don't count the same reason Vita/PSVR/PSP don't count.
What reason is that? do we have to start separating Nintendo Switch Lite models from the Switch platform? or do we just ignore the Switch because it doesn't need to be connected to the TV? If that is the case, should we remove the Wii U, since you can play that remotely? Can you make this line make sense?

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I remember Michael Pachter saying vgchartz is really good for older data, it's just new data thats funky. He said he uses too lol. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Congrats Sony.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Their consistency is crazy. PS3 looked shakey but they even turned that around in time to keep their legacy rather clean. Good job, it's been a cool 25 💪🏿

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Big win for Chartz. Lmao. This might be the only time in my life as an analyst that I think the source shouldn't be included. Everyone knows the score without them anyway under this criteria. Still funny to see it on that certificate tho.

This thread also tellin me black Friday got console warriors shook. Lol. That, "Talent always wins" comment and the, "PS4 was lucky lol" leaking into this thread got me laughing hard.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
Who would of guessed the legacy Sony would start with that grey little console back in 94? Grats to Sony, their consoles have always been solid, even if the PS3 started off rough.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Sony PR got tired of hearing about Nintendo in news and needed to make some noise.

Oct 27, 2017
This has been talked about to death. There's legitimately reasonable uses for not including all platforms. Just leave Nintendo out of it, since they already have an entire era of gaming before PS even entered the market.

Well by that logic we should leave MS out of it too since Sony had the whole PS1 era before they entered, therefore Sony basically had...no competition in this?

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
VGchartz had been wrong on projections but they use official numbers once released. They're basically as good as we're going to get in the absence of officially announced numbers. I'm fine with this award from Guinness though. Lots of these numbers are officially released by Sony. VGchartz are probably pretty close on this. They're banned due to missed projections and the forum wars that can break out over sales numbers.

Anyways, the PlayStation brand is just excellence. You buy a PlayStation, you know there will be many high quality games and there will be a handful of big exclusives. They're the daily driver console.