• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Sony has obliterated the home console market. Truly impressive and I think the brand represents gaming quite well and Playstation is just the dopest name ever--props to whoever thought that name up because when I think about it I think games, instantly.

I where Nintendo would rank overall if we're talking hardware sold across the board.

Sep 24, 2019
Just for those who might not know:

ioi, the founder of VGChartz no longer does anything with the numbers.

Hardware numbers are marked as estimates and get readjusted once official numbers get released.
Software numbers have already stopped at the end of 2018 because they are too unreliable and VGC now switched to only report on official and sourced shipped numbers.
Souce: Am part of the team.

Anyways congratz to Playstation, despite the ups and downs they have amazing consistency and I can't wait for PS5 numbers.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
Gotta hand it to Sony, it has been a crazy successful ride for them for sure. I came onboard for the PS1 due to FFVII on christmas holiday, and stayed for strong 3rd party titles from publishers like Square and Namco. I still remember how crazy the PS2 launch got, and how securing and unpacking one of those bright blue boxes to play some Tekken Tag was a wonderful feeling. I was a bit late on adopting the PS3, I waited until MGS4's launch, but over time the console became a powerhouse much like it's siblings. PS4 crushed it out of the gate and seems to have been doing so since then. I might have some reservations over their policies regarding advertising different versions of console, and their seemingly nonplussed attitude toward preserving their own legacy game libraries, but they've definitely earned this, and I applaud the hard work and effort of everyone who has worked with the brand over the past ~25 years.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
They have been dominant for so so long. Really excited for PS5 reveal. Let's see if it can replicate the prior success

Jun 23, 2019
Just for those who might not know:

ioi, the founder of VGChartz no longer does anything with the numbers.

Hardware numbers are marked as estimates and get readjusted once official numbers get released.
Software numbers have already stopped at the end of 2018 because they are too unreliable and VGC now switched to only report on official and sourced shipped numbers.
Souce: Am part of the team.

Anyways congratz to Playstation, despite the ups and downs they have amazing consistency and I can't wait for PS5 numbers.

Mods, can we put this in the OP? Good to know.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Well deserved. Playstation has offered by far the best and most diverse game libraries over the decades.

Last edited:

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
VGChartz? That's unfortunate.

But I'm more curious about PS3 sales, how close it got to 100m and how many of those consoles are still used and connected to the internet.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Thought it was 500million. Hence the 500 million edition of the ps4

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Does GWR use VGChartz?

061689aebbb6ab95ae46ce278f52b9cd585a59135ffc5a2b0fc5ea914c35301b.jpg
It' s been for many years.
People should never guess something is accurate only because it come from a famous mouth.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Waiting for Nintendo to receive the "Best selling dedicated videogame brand" certificate any time now.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Rightfully so. The console series has always been the GOAT (ignoring the first 2 years of the ps3. urgh.)

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I account for 4 of those. No wait I'm forgetting the PS2 Slim and the PS3 Slim and the PS4 Pro. Anyway, Congrats on the success Sony. I've enjoyed every Sony Console I've ever bought.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Sure but it won't change the fact that PlayStation is the top selling gaming brand ever. A mighty record considering they only entered in the 90's.
We know that's not even true for Sony in the video game sphere but it makes me wonder what actually is. It's gotta be like Hasbro or something right?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Well by that logic we should leave MS out of it too since Sony had the whole PS1 era before they entered, therefore Sony basically had...no competition in this?
I just used it as a comparison, this is about PS and home consoles, not suggesting Nintendo's early years dont count. MS hasn't sold nearly as many consoles as either of them though so they will be excluded from these milestones regardless.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So anyway... VGC aside...

These motherfuckers managed to sell 18 million units of hardware a year for 25 fucking years... Not even counting handhelds...

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I've bought every playstation since PS1 (even got the PS1 before FFVII when Saturn was still trying to compete with it but it was obvious Sony was getting more the games). I have never regretted having one (been a few times I was jealous of another game but it was not near enough for me to think I made the wrong choice).

Hell, I hated Sony when I bought the PS1. I wanted Sega to win the war. But it was very obvious I was going to miss out on a lot of games if I bought the Saturn. And I reasoned to myself that well it wasn't like anyone else made a playstation. Playstation probably softened me up some on Sony honestly. But PS1 had so many good games come out on it and was consistant throughout when I had it (and lasted through a few consoles) that it made me a PS fangirl. Even PS3 pissing me off with price just made me not buy a console that gen until years later when I could get a PS3 cheap (rather than go to MS but it helps I'm not an MS fan either and was way less of one back then even ;) ).

So yeah, I've matured a bit over the years and try to be more objective but I have to admit I still get thrilled when I hear how well the Playstation has done :).

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Is there a GWR award given that considers all dedicated gaming devices so portable consoles are counted?

Feels a bit neglectful to ignore handheld gaming which is also an important part of the medium.

Congrats to Sony on the home console only award though!

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
This has to have been the case for quite a long time. I may be a Nitendo Fanboy, but I got nothing but respect for Sony's business strategy. They've been #1 in the console game for a long time for good reason.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't even need VGchartz for this. Its common knowledge the PS1 sold 100+, the PS2 150+, the PS3 80+ and the PS4 is at 100 or so. But them being used as a source is weak lol. Even if they use official shipped numbers now, the rep sticks.

Aside from the PS3 fiasco Sony dominates the market since 1995. Thats rather impressive. And even the PS3 still sold 80+ million units which probably places it in the top 8 or so (even including handhelds).

I was a Sega fan but it was hard to keep supporting them as the Saturn simply didn't catch on while Sony really tried and delivered with the PS1. The Dreamcast was an amazingly fun console but the Playstation continued to cover far more ground.

I struggled to like the PS3 because it was pretty god damn flawed but all other home consoles were home runs for me.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Been a member of Playstation family since the PS2, and besides a brief (and ultimately unfulfilling) tryst with the Wii, I've never looked back.

Excited to see what the future has for the PS5!

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
An amazing achievement for sure.

Sony surviving against known brands, surviving that time when everyone and their grandmother released a home console...whatever caveats one wants to put with it doesn't matter. Doing what they did and do isn't easy.