• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
From Reddit:

PlayStation is locking out certain people that got review copies of Death Stranding because of many reviewers spoiling the game, this guy got locked after playing for 50 hours even though he didin't leak or post anything about the game.

6fqwpwtyh9u31.jpg

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Starting to feel like sending out copies this early and to this many people was maybe a bit of a mistake aye... This has been a mess from all sides lol.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Are we sure they're locking people out or could this be that weird authorization glitch? I know I've been locked out a few times before.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
i find it really hard to believe that the last two games someone was playing before death stranding was gtav and advanced warfare

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
That's too bad

Sony let reviewers 3 full weeks to play it and that's cool, but that's a shame that people leaks spoilers

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Just browsing ERA, and i have been completely spoiler free.
I'm ready to enjoy the game with as little info as possible.

As always in these situations, the transgressions of some, spoil the fun and WORK of others.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
You guys should watch out. YouTube Comment Sections and Twitter trolls are in full effect.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
So we just take it from a reddit rando at face value that the locked account in the screenshot wasn't the source of embargo-breaking leaks?

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Starting to feel like sending out copies this early and to this many people was maybe a bit of a mistake aye... This has been a mess from all sides lol.
Honestly, I don't think sending out copies early is ever a bad thing. It's important to have objective and thorough reviews well before a game's release. Spoilers might be a necessary evil to have but to be fair in most cases people want to be spoiled.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Also the reviewer on Twitter that reported this deleted their tweet, I think we might be jumping to conclusions

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly surprised they didn't just do no review copies. This seems like one of those games that never "needed" it with how much they advertise Kojima's cult of personality.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I think it's too late to lock them out of this one. I think the move is to keep tabs on who's doing what, and lock them out of everything after this one.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
So has it gotten out that Norman Reedus dies in the first hour and is replaced by Taylor Lautner for the remainder of the game then? I thought that was still kept a secret.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019

It's funny because usually we have compliants that people don't get enough time to review a game, this is the first case where it sounds like people have gotten too much time. I'm suprised it went out 3 weeks before release.

I actually just saw the first commercial for this while watching ESPN this morning.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it's not hard to get a good embargo up and running, the gaming community needs to look more at how the beauty community handles new releases like this for example. Once you break embargo it's over for your career.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
it's not hard to get a good embargo up and running, the gaming community needs to look more at how the beauty community handles new releases like this for example. Once you break embargo it's over for your career.
This is actually really interesting, could you go maybe a bit more in-depth with how their embargos are handled? Embargos are in place with games but they aren't really that strictly enforced. I mean, there's a well-known YouTuber who's literally sharing impressions and screenshots, breaking the NDA like c'mon...

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
It's funny that I have never heard of any person admitting that they have been rightfully locked out.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Can we lock this thread until further proof? This is already starting fire and the original tweet was deleted

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm exclusive to ERA for a reason. Wouldn't dare venture into the murky wold of reddit and other places. Even my YouTube is on lockdown.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Are we sure they're locking people out or could this be that weird authorization glitch? I know I've been locked out a few times before.
Also the reviewer on Twitter that reported this deleted their tweet, I think we might be jumping to conclusions

/Thread I think ^^

playing for 50 hours even though he didin't leak or post anything about the game.

LOL of course that's what that leaker is gonna say

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Tbh if they abuse their privilege they deserve to be banned from it. I can't stand spoilers.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is what Dan Ryckert meant when he said even some people are still playing it

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is actually really interesting, could you go maybe a bit more in-depth with how their embargos are handled? Embargos are in place with games but they aren't really that strictly enforced. I mean, there's a well-known YouTuber (nearing 1 mil subs) who's literally sharing impressions and screenshots like c'mon...
the beauty market has a very similar release schedule of a constant barrage of high profile reeleases (mostly eyeshadow palettes).
Those products get sent out in advance to a lot of people, mostly influencers nowadays, who make youtube videos and the likes about these products, or post on instagram. Not unlike how a streamer on twitch or youtube operates to be honest.
But part of being relevant and staying relevant as a beauty influencer is bringing out your review as fast as possible to ride that hypewave, just like a reviewer wants to be the first review out that will set the tone.
It is here that you pre-release product comes in hand, as a content creator you need to rely on PR to give you their product in advance so you can be prepared. The beauty community also works with embargoes but they are more ruthless with enforcing them.
Breaking an embargo means you're immediately of the PR list, you won't get products in the future anymore which will fuck up your chances in the long run.

They easily can do the same with game reviewers, as soon as one company starts being more ruthless with withholding review copies others will follow suit and people won't be daring to break embargo's as easily because it can fuck up the relevance of their entire publication or platform.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
That's the Kojima twist - if you play too long, you get locked out of the game and can never finish.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a reviewer this sounds like fucking nightmare. There are games I played for dozens of hours in the span of a couple days even when I kinda wanted to stop because I wanted to put as much time as I could into it to have a review that is the best possible work I can push out. I almost got sick of The Division for this very reason, must have put 50 hours into it in a week, you do the math. If I were to be blocked from the game near the end of it, that would just fucking infuriate me to no end. If they can't handle leaks they shouldn't send out review copies and such and just pull a Bethesda, sending them out after they're available in shops. Or is just hiding impressions because they aren't too confident? Either way it's scummy, giving people a product they review for Sony's sake too not just their own, and then they take it away because somebody else might have leaked something. Terrible stuff.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Can we please shut this thread down until there's actually evidence of Sony locking people out of the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.