• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
The game was one of the most highly anticipated titles in japan. Congrats on sucker punch.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Haha my cousin was looking for a copy and had to go three stores the other day in his town.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Good to see but there are also shortages in US
I see that the game is also sold out on Amazon US/UK/CA

I thought Sony would have planned more copies given the hype the game had

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Good for them,
I'm not sure why I find this so surprising, I guess I shouldn't. What better market is there for Samurai games but japan, and there's likely never been an open-world game set in a traditional japanese setting with this level of polish and detail?

OP
OP
Nightengale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Good to see but there are also shortages in US
I see that the game is sold out on Amazon US/UK/CA

I thought Sony would have planned more copies given the hype the game had

The pre-release metrics for Ghost, especially earlier in the marketing cycle - would have pegged this game to perform below Horizon or Days Gone sales-wise.

It's really only in the past two months that it's more on the upswing, but it was hard to gauge for a while.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I was shocked to see we only got 8 copies at my store in the US. For comparison, we got 40 copies of TLoU 2. We also got 20 copies of Paper Mario, which we've only sold like two of, whereas we sold all our copies of GoT on day one and STILL haven't gotten any additional copies.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Maybe Playstation Japan should also comment on the reasons why the PS4 is in such short supplies lately. Is it even readily in stock anywhere?

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Daaaaaamn! I'm skipping this to play it on PS5 but it's getting hard to pass through the hype D:
I'll re check how I feel about this by friday lol

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
The pre-release metrics for Ghost, especially earlier in the marketing cycle - would have pegged this game to perform below Horizon or Days Gone sales-wise.

It's really only in the past two months that it's more on the upswing, but it was hard to gauge for a while.
Yeah you are right, given the estimates of sold-through in 3 days (below), it's logical that they didn't plan more at launch
But I saw tweets saying that they had enough stock to fulfill pre-orders and day 1/2/3 buyers couldn't buy it :/

Seems like this might be PlayStation's fastest selling new IP? Pretty impressive.
Early Gamstat estimates indicate this, it performs very very well
A good range if Gamstat estimates are correct, would be 2.3-2.6M sold-through in 3 days

I made a post about this, if interested in :
www.resetera.com

PlayStation Studios |OT11| Got woke, records broke OT

I really love GOW but It’s been impossible for me to replay it, I think it’s just a pretty epic journey... that I can only enjoy once, I tried a second playthrough and I cant, I get bored and I really like the story, I guess it’s just because it’s the beginning of a trilogy I expected this one...

Oct 25, 2017
A good range if Gamstat estimates are correct, would be 2.3-2.6M sold-through in 3 days

www.resetera.com

I really love GOW but It’s been impossible for me to replay it, I think it’s just a pretty epic journey... that I can only enjoy once, I tried a second playthrough and I cant, I get bored and I really like the story, I guess it’s just because it’s the beginning of a trilogy I expected this one...
Damn that's crazy good. I'm holding off until PS5 to play this game, but it's a struggle because I've heard nothing but great things about it lol.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I think they underestimated the demand because its been sold out at various places.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Like I posted in the other thread this game sold out at my store the night it was released. The game is highly sought for and the word of mouth is good as well.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Sold out in stores? Gatdamn.

Hope they all get more stock asap, the game is amazing and deserves as many sales as possible!

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Ghost of Tsushima is the best game Sony has had since God of War. I wish they would have treated it better. The game is quite a surprise and I already had high expectations for it.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah you are right, given the estimates of sold-through in 3 days (below), it's logical that they didn't plan more at launch
But I saw tweets saying that they had enough stock to fulfill pre-orders and day 1/2/3 buyers couldn't buy it :/

www.resetera.com

How much did SS sell in 3 days?

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I wonder if more Japanese devs will want to do samurai games after seeing a Western studio do so well with one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nightengale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I wonder if more Japanese devs will want to do samurai games after seeing an Western studio do so well with one.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 shortages have been happening since April while mass production of the PS5 started in June. There's more to this than just that.

They couldn't foresee this pandemic (no one could) that boosted hw sales a lot especially during the spring. That probably let to all the inventory being sold out and as PS4 is on its way out and PS5 is in the horizon they didn't bother to ramp up manufacturing of PS4.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

There's an annual survey conducted by one of the Japanese TV shows on favorite characters from Sengoku Era and Oda is usually either the top or number 2, despite them know he's a bloodthirsty dbag. I guess they admire his ambition and tactical genius.

My father in law's hometown is actually where Oda was born, actually been to his birth house. Never really liked him though(Oda, not my FIL).

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
maxresdefault.jpg

There's an annual survey conducted by one of the Japanese TV shows on favorite characters from Sengoku Era and Oda is usually either the top or number 2, despite them know he's a bloodthirsty dbag. I guess they admire his ambition and tactical genius.

My father in law's hometown is actually where Oda was born, actually been to his birth house. Never really liked him though(Oda, not my FIL).
Sengoku Basara has the right depiction, luckily.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
The game could've gone wrong, but they certainly did it mostly right with this. Maybe it'll have good legs in Japan which is rare lol

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

www.resetera.com

Yeah looking at Gamestat metric in the first 3 days it is at 2M with 14% being from Japan. That would put it at least at 280K physical + digital in Japan. I'm pretty sure such result is the best for SIE new IP in Japan in a long while.

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
I started luke warm on the mechanics, but half way through it's my game of the year by a mile so far.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
It's a great game. Can't get enough of it. I see a sequel in the future.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Seen a lot of activity on JP twitter about it yeah. That's cool.

More for the art/environment than anything else tbh (didn't see anyone impressed by the gameplay like you can see on western twitter for example, and they're often mocking the anachronistic elements too).

leder

Oct 25, 2017
That must be a great feeling for suckerpunch. I would have been on pins and needles waiting to see how it was received in Japan.