• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think they are going to try to flank Sony on both sides w/ price.

"If you want to play Madden / Call of Duty, we have XSS at $400, cheaper than a PS5"

"If you don't have a PC and are an enthusiast, then we have XSX at $600, and it's faster than PS5"

Their mistake of course being...who the hell is enthusiast enough to buy a $600 console that isn't just going to buy a PC. ESPECIALLY if all the games come to both!
That's interesting.. You may very well be right.

Prediction: Jason has no clue.

For real tho. Not everything he said is set in stone.
While true, he is someone who is very reliable. But as someone said, he may be predicting only things he doesn't know

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
So being a Sony guy I am optimistic but it's sounding more and more evident that PS5 is the weaker system which is fine, however, if they also have no BC outside of PS4 (At least PS1 and 2, I can understand not having PS3) and no Gamepass equivalent, I just don't see the reason to get this over an XSX at launch. I hope they surprise us 2.5 hours to go.

For a Sony guy it's remarkable you haven't heard of PS Now.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So being a Sony guy I am optimistic but it's sounding more and more evident that PS5 is the weaker system which is fine, however, if they also have no BC outside of PS4 (At least PS1 and 2, I can understand not having PS3) and no Gamepass equivalent, I just don't see the reason to get this over an XSX at launch. I hope they surprise us 2.5 hours to go.

PS Now is the Gamepass equivalent and it's not available everywhere and also terrible.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
Hype-deflating tweets for sure. Backwards compatibility was up on the wishlist for me as someone who owns a lot of the "Classics" on PSN as well as a huge backlog from PlayStation Plus. Would have been a nice selling pitch for PlayStation Now to have PS3 titles downloadable as well.

Flops are less worrisome for me. I am buying both the XSX and PS5 day one unless something crazy happens.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just like with Teraflops, people attach too much value to BC with PS1-PS3. It is really not that important. Not for most people anyway.

What matters:
1) Games
2) Good build quality
3) BC with PS4

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
People went nuts over the difference between XBO and PS4, it wasn't pretty if you had an XBO and had to delve into the forums.

It seems people are trying to say that it's fine now because the shoe may be on the other foot. I dunno, it seems a little hypocritical.

The real outcome of this will be the quality of the games, but there will always be the DF videos that show the Series X performing better at 4k etc if the lower powered PS5 holds true and I'm sure that will stick the craw of many, even if they keep quiet this time.

Well, the Xbox was also pricier at launch and haunted by that horrible PR campaign. But fanboys are gonna fanboy anyway, so who cares?

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
End of the day TFlops aren't what sell games, price and games do. Xbox One X was nice, but Microsoft was sorely lacking on first party games for me.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Probably. I take his tweets as confirmation that PS5 hardware is not as good as the new Xbox.

I mean, isn't that expected? MS has been chasing the power crown ever since they have been embarassed by Sony in 2013.

People were surprised by the hw in xsx and predicted a 499+ price point. I really don't see Sony going for such a price again.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Giant bomb didn't think people wanted consoles after the PS3. Jeff was so wishy washy about it in the lead up to the current gen. While they obviously have sources and know tons of industry people, I wouldn't go by anything they say when they talk off the cuff like that.
Oh I am fully aware they don't really know that much about the industry anymore I was just them as one example.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Said before and I'll reiterate that the new Xbox will have the power crown, even if they have to upclock or take a sizeable loss on every console. However, I'll also reiterate that it's really not the whole picture; games and features are always far more important

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Who cares about Colbert lol. If you're remotely interested in buying a PS5 for yourself, you'd want it to be more, not less powerful. The way you framed your post is as if it's not something you yourself are interested in.

He gets a Razzie for his overacting...He was probably reaching for the Oscar. :)

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
200.gif

12:00p c'monnnnnn

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Jason knows the specs at this point, Sony probably send a presser already. He is trying to soften the blow for console warriors.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People went nuts over the difference between XBO and PS4, it wasn't pretty if you had an XBO and had to delve into the forums.

It seems people are trying to say that it's fine now because the shoe may be on the other foot. I dunno, it seems a little hypocritical.

The real outcome of this will be the quality of the games, but there will always be the DF videos that show the Series X performing better at 4k etc if the lower powered PS5 holds true and I'm sure that will stick the craw of many, even if they keep quiet this time.

Try to use some semblance of critical thinking. The Xbox One was $100 more, despite the PS4 having a 40% performance advantage and launching at the same time.

How important any performance delta is will depend on how big that difference in performance is, and whether there are any pricing differences too.

Each generation has had a difference in performance between the consoles, but the most powerful hasn't always been the most successful for a reason.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Why do you mind what are his preferences are? Yeah, lot of people is interested in revesiting old games. Shocker I know.

I don't, but I think it's silly to base your choice of console on, while there are al these other features and new games to be excited about. If that's so important to you, than buy a used PS1/2 and hook it up. I mean, you can even play some of that old stuff on your mobile phone and tablet. But hey, each to his own of course.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If the specs are different, the pricing will be the deciding factor.
Hope we get some early sales this gen unlike the previous PS4 domination.

Nos

Oct 27, 2017

Yep, you don't know.
If you did, you would've known that the Xbox One came 30~40% weaker while costing 100$ more.
If the PS5 will be weaker but cheaper - zero problems.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

this gen it was literally a difference of games being 720p on xbox and 1080p on PS4 in a world where 1080p TV's were the standard. it made sense for it to be sore point.

but now, even with the current mid gen refresh systems, the difference between checkerboard 4k and native 4k on a 4k screen are barely even perceivable unless you zoom in 200% (as DF regularly need to do with their analysis in an effort to create a talking point)

next gen will be that...but even less noticeable. the PS5 would need to be stuck rendering at 1080p while series X was 4k native for the same sort of uproar to be heard. and that doesn't seem likely to me. even if it was a 9 vs 12 tf comparison.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

PS4 vs XB1 was like a 30% gap in GPU though, if we are talking 30% gap between PS5 vs XSX that would put PS5 around 8.5 TF which would be an absolute disaster. 1 or 1.5 TF gap would be a much more reasonable proportion nowadays

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the good thing is we will have the really bad specs news delivered in Cerny's beautiful, soft, lulling voice. No one will be mad @ 9TF anymore. :)

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It matters a LOT though especially at the beginning of the gen.
Like 99% of all sold titles are multiplatform titles, so if in the beginning of the gen, a console can play all multiplatforms way better than the other console - at the same price - then yeah, the decision will be easy.
I'm not sure it matters "A Lot", but thanks to websites like Eurogamer/ DF it does matter, mostly for multiplatform titles which comprise, what, a least 90% of the titles released?
I remember the bloody carnage around releases like Dragon Age Inquisition where they somehow crowned the Xbox version superior because the PS4 dropped 1-2 fps during gfx heavy effects like spells, while it was a constant 1080p vs the XB1's 900p.

That's why in a way it'd be a lot better for everyone if the GPU/ CPU and Memory for both systems are really close, but we'll see.

Strajack

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2020

It's complicated...there was so much not to like about the XBO at launch, but I have trouble thinking that the average consumer was all that concerned about teraflops and 1080p vs 900p. The only reason enthusiasts were arguing over that stuff was because there weren't any good games for either of those consoles until Bloodborne came out in 2015. HUGE on-ramp last generation.

What sank XBO last time was launch $100 more expensive w/ nothing to show for it. People will pay more but you have to give them a good reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
For a Sony guy it's remarkable you haven't heard of PS Now.

PS Now is the Gamepass equivalent and it's not available everywhere and also terrible.

I had PS Now for awhile and it was great for what it is, but saying it's the equivalent to Gamepass is interesting. Sony isn't ever going to put God of War 2 on PS Now the day it launches. So while the two services are similar in what they do, how they do it are vastly different. They aren't comparable, at least not yet.

Strajack

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2020
I will. My PC days are done now as I want to move to Apple. I was never a very good PC gamer anyway - don't use m/k, hate mods, use a 60Hz TV and gamepad, etc.

Believe me after struggling w/ my valve index and Windows drivers for the better part of a week, I'm right there with you. Ready to just have an iMac and a console.

Status
Not open for further replies.