• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
I am excited for both consoles next-gen. I expect the PS5 to have less TF, but offer some other unique advantage. This should provide a solid experience no matter your console of choice. Really think next gen is going to be win/win for everyone :)

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I predicting 5tf, I mean why did they even named it as ps5? The 5 means something so it should the tf, I feel good about this prediction

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Try to use some semblance of critical thinking. The Xbox One was $100 more, despite the PS4 having a 40% performance advantage and launching at the same time.

How important any performance delta is will depend on how big that difference in performance is, and whether there are any pricing differences too.

Each generation has had a difference in performance between the consoles, but the most powerful hasn't always been the most successful for a reason.

Dont forget the xbox messaging, TV etc.
It really was just bad in all fronts and Sony rode on those mistakes to the top.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
If there was anything about this console I was really hoping for, it was full BC. That's just a personal thing, and it's been pretty clear that it was a big ask, but it is a little deflating to have that off the table. Oh well. Onward!

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Try to use some semblance of critical thinking. The Xbox One was $100 more, despite the PS4 having a 40% performance advantage and launching at the same time.

How important any performance delta is will depend on how big that difference in performance is, and whether there are any pricing differences too.

Each generation has had a difference in performance between the consoles, but the most powerful hasn't always been the most successful for a reason.

I believe it never has been the most succesful.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not have a good rollout of PSOne and PS2 games for PS5 might actually be the nail in the coffin for me. I lost interest in my PS4 every year Sony didn't bring back ways to enjoy older games.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't, but I think it's silly to base your choice of console on while there are al these other features and new games to be excited about. If that's so important to you, than buy a used PS1/2 and hook it up. I mean, you can even play some of that old stuff on your mobile phone and tablet. But hey, each to his own of course.

Old consoles weren't really designed for new displays and HDMI, there's also the matter of space and all upgrades we can get to resolution, load times, etc...

I understand you can see the appeal of having the whole PS family playable in one box with all the QoL and graphical improvements can provide to the experience of playing old games.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Console warriors from both camps when the teraflops of PS5 will be revealed today:

MadWhisperedIberianmidwifetoad-size_restricted.gif
Legit made me laugh out loud like Darth Sideous.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
It would be funny if we end up not getting actual confirmed specs but some general ballpark.

Also not sure if this clears anything up, as AFAIK architectures are pretty different:

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, isn't that expected? MS has been chasing the power crown ever since they have been embarassed by Sony in 2013.

People were surprised by the hw in xsx and predicted a 499+ price point. I really don't see Sony going for such a price again.

I'm with you. But some people have been arguing about that it might not be the case. I have no names, I don't try to remember to point fingers - but I've seen that discourse.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
We'll find out soon but Jason is making a prediction. He said yesterday he doesn't know the exact figures and if he knew a professional jounalist like him would not spoil things that are probably under NDA for other publications 2-3 hours before the event passing them as ''predictions''.

Btw he reiterated that as far as he knows both systems will be really close:

twitter.com

Jason Schreier on Twitter

“@Jawadoh_23 It’s unfortunate that crappy news sites decided to quote an off-the-cuff podcast remark that I started off by saying “don’t quote me on this” but regardless, as far as I know that remains the case”

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
People went nuts over the difference between XBO and PS4, it wasn't pretty if you had an XBO and had to delve into the forums.

It seems people are trying to say that it's fine now because the shoe may be on the other foot. I dunno, it seems a little hypocritical.

The PS4 was more powerful and it cost $100 less. Completely different set of circumstances.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
Lower TFLOPS != "hardware is not as good".

As Jason's said over and over (and I agree with), there's more that goes into a console than raw TFLOPS.

Yep, and as generations go on it's significance lessens. People are so fixated with it because it meant something in previous generations and I don't blame them to apply this stuff retrospectively, but in 2020 it's almost moot.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Full PS3 BC was never in the cards. People need a wake up call.

The crowd that's genuinely interested in replaying games from the PS1-PS2 era (aside from a bullet point feature in console wars) likewise is probably incredibly, incredibly tiny. Would be a nice, but largely forgotten about feature.

Let's see the new games once all this spec wankery is finally out of the way :)

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I expect the ps5 to be a tad less powerful than the x because they will show the basic ps5 not the premium one. If they manage to make a pro one then it could be one equal or more powerful. So I'm not surprised about that 8 to 9 tflops rdna 2

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
So it's between 10-12. Now you people can stop going crazy about how 9 means the death of the PS5.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
We'll find out soon but Jason is making a prediction. He said yesterday he doesn't know the exact figures and if he knew a professional jounalist like him would not spoil things that are probably under NDA for other publications 2-3 hours before the event passing them as ''predictions''.

Btw he reiterated that as far as he knows both systems will be really close:

twitter.com

Jason Schreier on Twitter

“@Jawadoh_23 It’s unfortunate that crappy news sites decided to quote an off-the-cuff podcast remark that I started off by saying “don’t quote me on this” but regardless, as far as I know that remains the case”
someone should ask if he think 9 and 12 is close

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be a beast compared to this gen, regardless. Looking forward to it.

B1ggRandall

Oct 27, 2017
Im just hype to hear Sony to about this console! I hope we will get a lil games showcase!
It will be 12pm soon! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.