• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
300px-Creating_Bugs_Bunny%27s_"No".jpg
Maybe lockheart will get Silent Hill.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Sony was waiting months and months without mentioning the PS5 specs while Microsoft revealed 12TF in 2019. Almost 2 years without having a press conference. And in the end, in the middle of March, they're going to reveal a 9TF PS5?

We have to give credit where credit is due. Microsoft's message was and is spot on. Announcing 12TF in 2019, showing an impressive Hellblade teaser trailer, announcing studio acquisitions (and more to come) Game Pass; Similar to Sony in 2013. Sony Interactive Entertainment is a mess right now. It went downhill around the time Sony Computer Entertainment became Sony Interactive Entertainment.

The silence, bad messaging and long waiting, just to finally announce a 9TF PS5 later today? Two more hours to go. What a day for SIE.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

SO +10 TF confirmed?

He did say don't quote me on this on the podcast yes, but did not for this:
www.resetera.com

Next gen PS5 and next Xbox launch speculation - Secret sauces spicing 2019

Look, as I've been saying since roughly March 2018 (in this very thread), next-gen is coming in 2020. That Semiaccurate article saying 2018 (lol) got people's hopes up for 2019, but by now I hope it's clear that the PS5 ain't coming out this fall. And, despite all the rumors about devkits being...
Look, as I've been saying since roughly March 2018 (in this very thread), next-gen is coming in 2020. That Semiaccurate article saying 2018 (lol) got people's hopes up for 2019, but by now I hope it's clear that the PS5 ain't coming out this fall.

And, despite all the rumors about devkits being out (usually from rumormongers who are wrong more often than not), the number of people briefed on next-gen is still very limited. Even within companies like, say, DICE, there'll be a small team of engineers who now have a rough idea of specs, and everyone else will know when they need to know. Not a lot of devs are disclosed on next-gen right now.

In other words, don't expect much in the way of substantial leakage just yet. The only thing to know for sure is that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week. (And, as has been reported, Microsoft's got a few things in the works.)

He also said, as far as he knows, the 2080 comment is still the case. (recently)

He's just trying to temper expectations to anyone who truly believes it's going to be a 13TF beast.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
GPU and CPU performance are indeed what I view as good performance metrics to mention - especially if we have equalising terms among extremely similar architectures. RDNA and Zen. I am not sure why people would suggest otherwise.
Tech illiterate people maybe (again, for similar architectures obviously).

edit:
So no games will be talked about here? Don't care about flops I still have to buy a Sony console for Silent Hill tbh.
No games, no. It's a GDC talk about specs.
Silent Hill hasn't been confirmed in any way and likely won't be at launch if it is.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
So Sony was waiting months and months without mentioning the PS5 specs while Microsoft revealed 12TF in 2019. Almost 2 years without having a press conference. And in the end, in the middle of March, they're going to reveal a 9TF PS5?

We have to give credit where credit is due. Microsoft's message was and is spot on. Announcing 12TF in 2019, showing an impressive Hellblade teaser trailer, announcing studio acquisitions (and more to come) Game Pass; Similar to Sony in 2013. Sony Interactive Entertainment is a mess right now. It went downhill around the time Sony Computer Entertainment became Sony Interactive Entertainment.

The silence, bad messaging and long waiting, just to finally announce a 9TF PS5 later today? Two more hours to go. What a day for SIE.
Lol

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I am guessing the reason for no PS1/PS2 BC isn't because it can't be down technically

heck I'd assume PS3 could be done too

but rather licensing and all that jazz is the problem

it takes more then just Sony to tango there and I don't see any company for such old games (PS1/PS2), especially at a time of remakes and remasters, would cooperate

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I really want them to detail PS4 backwards compatibility. I have so many games on that system, and don't want to keep my noisy ass Pro.

Turkishflavor

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020

I agree entirely. The way MS has handled this was fantastic. Very open and very transparent. Hopefully, Sony will also be more transparent and open starting today.

Jul 26, 2018

... My dude... Sony is the market leader and looks very likely to repeat next gen, calm down

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I don't even understand why people even care about the "messaging".

1 month before release you need to know price, power and games, which will all be revealed. Pre Orders will still be open then.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Shinobi, DF, and Jason Schreirer all jumping into the thread at the same time..... Yeah, a shitstorm is incoming ain't it?

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am guessing the reason for no PS1/PS2 BC isn't because it can't be down technically

Consideribg the amount of quality Sony first party titles accumulated over all those years, it would be valuable just to have all those games available.

And MS seems to be managing fine bringing several third party games. Not sure how Sony would have a hard ler time for that...

Jan 3, 2019

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about ResetERA culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in GameFAQs where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in ResetERA, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the ERA public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the PS5, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and add more flops or you can kiss your business goodbye.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I expect this technical stuff to be mostly boring and this to be roughly comparable to modern PCs and XSX

Which is still fucking exciting cuz SSD and more power seems great

What i would love to see... Is if this thing can occupy a slimmer form factor and not weigh a damn ton but considering the focus on heat dissipation and cooling these days im expecting similar dimensions to Ps4Pro/XSX

Bleh

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Would people rather be hyped and disappointed or have expectations in check to avoid disappointment? Seems to be an easy choice for me.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
My reading of his comments so far has been, they are close in power, and Series X is stronger. But, that's only one part of the equation.

Entertain this for a moment, Series X is achieving 12.1TF through [email protected]. If, PS5 is achieving 11.2TF through [email protected], then how do you ascertain the differences? Yes, one has 0.9TF of more computation power, but one has faster clocks, which would achieve faster fill rate.

I feel doom and gloom spells are justified, if PS5 is actually in ~9TF territory, a ~30% compute difference is substantial, no matter how fast the clocks are. But, if they are close (which according to his latest tweets, they are, as in he is standing by RTX2080 comments) then I don't see much problem.
yep, 12.1 vs 11.2 is practically negligible, 12.1 vs 9 you can notice but not as huge difference as many thinks

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

Chill. There is a worldwide pandemic going on.

This is nothing.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018

it takes more then just Sony to tango there and I don't see any company for such old games (PS1/PS2), especially at a time of remakes and remasters, would cooperate
Yes. The PS1 will be 30 years old during the lifespan of the PS5. That's an eternity in license terms.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017

Meh. If MS can donit I'm sure Sony has enough weight to do something even better. Sad that they don't seem to care.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about ResetERA culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in GameFAQs where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in ResetERA, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the ERA public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the PS5, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and add more flops or you can kiss your business goodbye.
hehehe..even though I wasn't there, i have always loved reading this.

Status
Not open for further replies.