• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
It matters a LOT though especially at the beginning of the gen.
Like 99% of all sold titles are multiplatform titles, so if in the beginning of the gen, a console can play all multiplatforms way better than the other console - at the same price - then yeah, the decision will be easy.

If the PS5 is indeed 9Tf then it's cheaper than Xbox so people will be here for that.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I predict the PS5 will be significantly weaker than the XBX.

Microsoft have been on the backfoot this gen, hence them doing everything to regain mindset and marketshare.

I expect Sony will use the brand to sell the console as opposed to raw features.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Was this a serious post? My man the chance of playing all PS games on the PS5 was the most sought out features of next gen playstation, even more than specs, i believe that IGN did a poll asking that.

I get that it's a requested thing as far as bullet point features are concerned. But in the real world barely anyone gives a fuck about previous-gen once next gen games start hitting. Games from gens past that are even more niche.

Still, i'd welcome the feature. But I totally understand that it's very low on their list of priorities.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Weaker than Xbox and it becomes the PS3 to me (secondary console). As powerful as the Xbox and it becomes the only console I buy next gen. As someone who mostly plays multiplats, power most definitely matters when it comes to Sony/MS consoles.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Also jschreier is wrong, tf are great performance indicator when both consoles are on the same arch. thats why all the fuss about tf.

My reading of his comments so far has been, they are close in power, and Series X is stronger. But, that's only one part of the equation.

Entertain this for a moment, Series X is achieving 12.1TF through [email protected]. If, PS5 is achieving 11.2TF through [email protected], then how do you ascertain the differences? Yes, one has 0.9TF of more computation power, but one has faster clocks, which would achieve faster fill rate.

I feel doom and gloom spells are justified, if PS5 is actually in ~9TF territory, a ~30% compute difference is substantial, no matter how fast the clocks are. But, if they are close (which according to his latest tweets, they are, as in he is standing by RTX2080 comments) then I don't see much problem.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It feels like if Xbox has 10 and PS5 has 11 then 11 is a BEAST. But if Xbox has 12 and PS5 has 11 then 11 suddenly is SHIT.

I honestly don't think my eyes can handle the rolling that's gonna happen when reading morons pretend they know what a flop even is.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Jason just loves watching the puppets dance while he pulls the strings lol

Honestly, I dont blame him at all

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
We are getting a new console, New experience, New games and most have been fighting over for the last year is tflops bs.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Just build a gaming pc powerhouse, was hoping for PS5 to be my console of choice next gen and skipping Xbox... curious to see how this goes.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
a 10TF+ PS5 would be amazing for me regardless of what XSX is. SSD, Raytracking, Zen 2 processors, RDNA2 and double digit flops is a crazy leap for next gen. this machine would be a beast and the leap in technology is massive.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yah..just predictions but I dont think ps5 is gonna 'win' this tf 'warz' either.

Everything sony released these few years is under the same philosophy...the most affordable in terms of price/performance....from launch ps4 to pro to psvr to the ds4 bsck button attachment. It isn't about catered to the ones with money to spare but catered to the common folks... that's the reason they won't go all out in terms of specs because their stuff is under a tight fixed price range.

I am saying as a ps fanboy. I want a super duper high end ps5, yes. But i am also objective enough to know that's not sony's philosophy.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My reading of his comments so far has been, they are close in power, and Series X is stronger. But, that's only one part of the equation.

Entertain this for a moment, Series X is achieving 12.1TF through [email protected]. If, PS5 is achieving 11.2TF through [email protected], then how do you ascertain the differences? Yes, one has 0.9TF of more computation power, but one has faster clocks, which would achieve faster fill rate.

I feel doom and gloom spells are justified, if PS5 is actually in ~9TF territory, a ~30% compute difference is substantial, no matter how fast the clocks are. But, if they are close (which according to his latest tweets, they are, as in he is standing by RTX2080 comments) then I don't see much problem.
Stop trying to make sense and join the madness

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
I get that it's a requested thing as far as bullet point features are concerned. But in the real world barely anyone gives a fuck about previous-gen once next gen games start hitting. Games from gens past that are even more niche.

Still, i'd welcome the feature. But I totally understand that it's very low on their list of priorities.

Well tbf both remasters on current gen consoles beg to differ and FFVII Reamke comes out next month lol.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
For me the TF number went from mostly irrelevant to completely irrelevant the moment those Silent Rumors started flooding in. GitHub always seemed ridiculous but I'm still not freaking out over a 9TF machine.

That said, in the spirit of fun I'm all in on Team Tommy(13.x TF) let's go.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
jschreier

will they show the console and the DS?

will they show any new game or old games with new performance?

will they reveal the exact release date and price?

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
It seems I'm the only one here who doesn't know what a teraflop is and what is the difference between having 9 or 12.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I am not under any embargoes and would not be making predictions if I was.

I stand corrected as I have assumed differently myself. It must be annoying to have your name dragged into most consoles threads, no? Also, a bit flattering, since you have built a great reputation for your scoops and insightful articles over the years.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watch both consoles third party game demos being nearly identical in visual quality.
Price point and features are where its at, with a 70% weight to the price.

I think MS has Sony cornered in the price range with lockhart.
and I think MS will be providing better features. (tales spin)

And EVEN THEN, PS5 won't have a problem flying off the shelves.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
You certainly sound mad and for whatever reason are convincing yourself of something there is still no certainty about. I'd love to know how you know this, and what aspects of a console is considered "weaker", these days? Is it pure teraflops? We're going to find out shortly that that doesn't tell the whole story. How do you know Sony's service/ecosystem plans for their next console which they have only partially talked about?
Hardware aside (we don't know that yet!) Sony doesn't have the software and service expertise MS does, and they're going /in/on that, while Sony clearly lags behind in some aspects.

Gamepass is of course the most obvious, but then when you take into account things like regional pricing (which Sony doesn't have) network infrastructure, OS functionality, cross platform design (Nintendo!) and store design and you can see cracks starting to appear.

Thing is, MS is a top dog in the software field, and given they newfound focus on hardware, which hasn't been seen since the original Xbox like 20 years ago, they're surely delivering a top notch solid product both in hardware and software.

Sony is spotty in both sides, and, truth is, as much as they tried to catch up, MS has top global talent working on their new platform, in revenge mode.

Sony's major advantage is, of course, its exclusives games and studios, but MS is already working on that front. Results could be surprising.

The race next Gen is gonna be completely different and I hope people are prepared for that. But competition is good, in the end, the consumer wins.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up! See the thread quadrupled and we ain't even there yet. That hunger, that thirst...
Can't fucking wait. :::)

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
I predict the PS5 will be significantly weaker than the XBX.

Microsoft have been on the backfoot this gen, hence them doing everything to regain mindset and marketshare.

I expect Sony will use the brand to sell the console as opposed to raw features.
Yeah, we totally had devs praising the console because it's doesn't have anything meaningful.

Jul 26, 2018
Don't let that happen. New consoles are always fun for us and better for the industry. Don't worry about power, backward compat and all that until we see the product. I am sure it will be a wonderful piece of hardware.
The man described Ps5 as exciting and the lead engine programmer for DOOM Eternal said it's an awesome machine. Y'all are helpless at this point. I mean, raw power is fine and all but games trump everything and you know Sony will bring the heat on that end.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Maybe ps5 will compete with lockhart now

300px-Creating_Bugs_Bunny%27s_"No".jpg

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Also jschreier is wrong, tf are great performance indicator when both consoles are on the same arch. thats why all the fuss about tf.
GPU and CPU performance are indeed what I view as good performance metrics to mention - especially if we have equalising terms among extremely similar architectures. RDNA and Zen. I am not sure why people would suggest otherwise.

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Yeah I'm leaving this place until this live stream starts in 2 hours. The meltdowns already, seriously!

Nos

Oct 27, 2017
I am not under any embargoes and would not be making predictions if I was.
Then you could've saved this place a long time ago.
As a person in the know, it was YOUR responsibility.

You're trying to course-correct this ship now? this ship is long gone my friend.
The inevitable meltdowns which will be fucking glorious are on your hands.

Come and join us as we all bathe in river of fanboy tears, is gonna be wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.